Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Boxturret posted:

how do these people keep getting married

meths a hell of a drug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://bitbet.us/bet/786/bitcoin-to-surpass-berkshire-as-an-investment/?ref=test

only two weeks to go! :jerky:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Replace-by-fee would make wallet theft unprofitable (self.Bitcoin)
отправлено 13 minutes ago автор unusedredditname

Not a small hot wallet that's not monitored, I mean the high profile, high value thefts from business and individual cold wallets that we've seen lately.

If you were to monitor your cold addresses for memory pool activity, you could get an alert when your hacked cold wallet is being spent, and send a transaction dumping the whole balance to the miner.

Replace-by-fee means miners would process this TX over the thief's, and your cold wallet would not go to the thief, but to a lucky miner.

The so-called "nuclear option" transaction can be built and signed offline, and stored for use online (securely) so you wouldn't need the private key on a hot device.

If you get the alert for a valid spend from your cold wallet, you've basically already lost the BTC unless you can double spend successfully with little notice. The replace-by-fee would NOT save your wallet, but it would make sure there's no profit in stealing it, which will drive down this activity.

"But instant transactions!" Stop. They don't have PoW, they're not secure. Even Bitpay, who wants instant transactions calls them high risk. The blockchain is the power of bitcoin, ignoring it in favor of mathless node consensus is bad bad bad, and WILL make bad things for bitcoin when it gets big enough to make sophisticated miner attacks profitable.

explanatory note for you who don't read bitcoin sourceforge or wherever it was posted: replace-by-fee is the plan to let you replace an unconfirmed transaction with one with a higher fee and that one takes precedence. (it's a great way to make it trivially easy to double-spend, since no coffee shop is going to wait for a confirmation)
this guy's great plan is "instead of letting your money be stolen, give it away to some random"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
eliminate all car theft by having the car burst into flames when the alarm goes off

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2xo7zv/new_foundation_member_olivier_janssens_has_called/
http://aaeblog.com/2013/09/24/c4ss-under-attack/
article from 2013 about a branch of the Center for Stateless Society that got disowned due to being virulently racist/anti-islamic. Olivier Janssens, who was just elected to the bitcoin foundation, was part of it

Janssens: It would be relevant enough if you know that the SPA/PS (Leftist political parties in Belgium) are growing in power because of the muslims, and that the Arab world is helping them accomplish this. Unless his hope is is ‘not being beheaded in 20 years because he is a Christian’.

In response to a story involving a recommendation to the government to change public holidays to involve more multi-cultural festivities instead of just Christian ones.(http://m.gva.be/nieuws/binnenland/aid988952/pasen-hemelvaartsdag-en-allerheiligen-geen-wettelijke-feestdagen-meer.aspx) A selection of comments has been translated.
Janssens: Men, it’s time for revolution
Everaert: Guns. Guns to kill all those sand-niggers and their servants like Lode Cossaer, just like the animals they are.

Janssens: HHH (ed. Hans Herman Hoppe) has the balls to say that, thanks to our welfare state, our genetic pool is hosed. Exactly my thoughts. The only reason the Muslim parasite can breed at a 10 times faster pace than us. Totally love this guy.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

haveblue posted:

eliminate all car theft by having the car burst into flames when the alarm goes off

More like: eliminate all car theft by stealing someone else's car and then mod it so it bursts into flames when the alarm goes off while hoping the guy you steal it from didn't do the same.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

The term "expert" certainly gets thrown around easily in the bitcoin community, doesn't it?

If you can found your own company/exchange, you must be an expert right?

[image_mtgox_plaintext_passwords_in_url.jpg]

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Tipps posted:

The term "expert" certainly gets thrown around easily in the bitcoin community, doesn't it?

the most expert of bitcoin experts was recently held by a court to not actually be an expert.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tipps posted:

some of these are default Wordpress blogs that haven't been updated in months

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

duTrieux. posted:

the most expert of bitcoin experts was recently held by a court to not actually be an expert.

what's Andreas up to nowadays? does he still do audits for startups that end up robbing everyone?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

some guy bet 1000 bitcoins on Yes when it was trading around $640

$640,000 down the tubes.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

what's Andreas up to nowadays? does he still do audits for startups that end up robbing everyone?

lol he blocked me on twitter

dude has thin skin

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

lecture circuit, no lie

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FCKGW posted:

$640,000 down the tubes.

lol that bet only closed two weeks ago, you don't really have to be nostradamus to predict that

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

haveblue posted:

having the car burst into flames when the alarm goes off

this, unironically

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
wsj article about bitcoin dropped

http://www.wsj.com/articles/do-cryptocurrencies-such-as-bitcoin-have-a-future-1425269375?KEYWORDS=bitcoin

it's bog standard bad tech journalism. i like this guy though, he's got moxie

https://endmathabusenow.wordpress.com/

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2xo7zv/new_foundation_member_olivier_janssens_has_called/
http://aaeblog.com/2013/09/24/c4ss-under-attack/
article from 2013 about a branch of the Center for Stateless Society that got disowned due to being virulently racist/anti-islamic. Olivier Janssens, who was just elected to the bitcoin foundation, was part of it

Janssens: It would be relevant enough if you know that the SPA/PS (Leftist political parties in Belgium) are growing in power because of the muslims, and that the Arab world is helping them accomplish this. Unless his hope is is ‘not being beheaded in 20 years because he is a Christian’.

In response to a story involving a recommendation to the government to change public holidays to involve more multi-cultural festivities instead of just Christian ones.(http://m.gva.be/nieuws/binnenland/aid988952/pasen-hemelvaartsdag-en-allerheiligen-geen-wettelijke-feestdagen-meer.aspx) A selection of comments has been translated.
Janssens: Men, it’s time for revolution
Everaert: Guns. Guns to kill all those sand-niggers and their servants like Lode Cossaer, just like the animals they are.

Janssens: HHH (ed. Hans Herman Hoppe) has the balls to say that, thanks to our welfare state, our genetic pool is hosed. Exactly my thoughts. The only reason the Muslim parasite can breed at a 10 times faster pace than us. Totally love this guy.

literally every person involved in bitcoin is human scum and i wish death on them all

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
lol i'm a depressed worthless NEET and yet olivier jannsens' resume makes me feel like an accomplished individual

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

quote:

I've spent close to 100k USD in legal costs and translations to keep the public aware and provided crucial information to the police. http://www.mtgoxrecovery.com/ and http://blog.mtgoxrecovery.com/
We are getting close to solving it.

lollll

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

text editor posted:

:eyepop:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol that bet only closed two weeks ago, you don't really have to be nostradamus to predict that

No, he bet 1000BTC on March 16th, 2014 (the day betting started) that Bitcoin would be worth MORE than BRK-A.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ryan X Charles, bitcoin nutter famously fired from Reddit, now has a job at BitGo, Inc as a software engineer.

http://bitgoinc.com/ryan-charles-joins-bitgo-engineering-team/

They mention his time at Reddit but not that he was fired.

Also I can't figure out what this company actually does

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FCKGW posted:

Ryan X Charles, bitcoin nutter famously fired from Reddit, now has a job at BitGo, Inc as a software engineer.

http://bitgoinc.com/ryan-charles-joins-bitgo-engineering-team/

They mention his time at Reddit but not that he was fired.

learn to size your loving sleeves god drat it isn't that loving hard

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FCKGW posted:

No, he bet 1000BTC on March 16th, 2014 (the day betting started) that Bitcoin would be worth MORE than BRK-A.

yeah that guy did, but the bet as a whole wasn't closed until med-feb

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
bitgonk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

looks like they run a storage service for multisig keys list of users to spearphish once their database is stolen

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Then he is the perfect fit

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

$640,000 down the tubes.

That's probably poopescu doing one of his "hedges". (As in, if he wins then he gets the coins and if he loses he doesn't pay)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

trucutru posted:

That's probably poopescu doing one of his "hedges". (As in, if he wins then he gets the coins and if he loses he doesn't pay)

im guessing this stuff isn't stored in an escrow or anything? just an honor system ?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

bjporter 4 очка 2 hours ago
This might be a good opportunity for /u/bruce_fenton to show Olivier that Muslims are not all bad. He may have been brought up in a nasty anti-muslim household, or had a bad experience, who knows.

bruce_fenton 2 очка 2 hours ago
It's a hard argument to win. I've had it and tried as many times as anyone.

If given the opportunity I'd love to do so. But it's not that relevant to his Board seat and I do support him in that role. I want to help him and the other board members be a success.

Thanks for tagging my username and noticing that discrimination is an area I work on a lot.

Stronkt 6 очков an hour ago
Please help me understand this a little better. You work on discrimination, I assume that means you work against discrimination. Yet you support someone who openly discriminates and want them to be a success?

aminok -2 очков an hour ago
He didn't openly discriminate though. He expressed prejudicial beliefs. His actual political stance is to support a free market for all. That is what Bitcoin promises to bring about.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

how come so many bitcoin people have names that are so easily altered to include poop

#include poop

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

sharknado slashfic posted:

how come so many bitcoin people have names that are so easily altered to include poop

#include poop

all part of the great shitoshi's plan

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

text editor posted:

/r/buttcoin stumbled across an altcoin that makes Synereo look sane

http://www.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comments/2xmn92/man_spends_35_years_developing_altcoin_wife/

Some highlights:

quote:

$lng['find_your_race'] = 'If you don\'t belong to any of these three races, just choose the closest option. <br> You are kindly required to specify your race because it is easier for supervisor to find inconsistencies in users of their own race when verifying new miners. <Br>';

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

would you kindly act honestly

secure cryptocurrency!

e: what are the three races

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Boxturret posted:

$lng['find_your_race'] = 'If you don\'t belong to any of these three races, just choose the closest option. <br> You are kindly required to specify your race because it is easier for supervisor to find inconsistencies in users of their own race when verifying new miners. <Br>';

what are the three race choices? wait, don't tell me, white, black, and latino? what is "closest" if i'm asian, or native-american Pawnee (and if I'm Sioux is it different)?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

$lng['race_1'] = 'Mongoloid';
$lng['race_2'] = 'Europid';
$lng['race_3'] = 'Negroid';

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

$lng['race_3'] = 'Negroid';

:vince:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aleksei Vasiliev posted: