Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Heresiarch posted:

rotor was just doing his job and i am not bitter

rotor did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

FMguru posted:

because its a matter of settled scientific fact that the first v1.0 version of something is the most perfect and ideal version and all that later versions do is mess things up

so bitcoin as the first cryptocurrency is therefore the best cryptocurrency and will be the one that the masses will adopt

no you don't get it, bitcoin will just incorporate any good ideas! decentralization peer-to-peer anti-fragile

people also get super defensive when you suggest changing the confirmation time because OBVIOUSLY 10 minutes is the most correct one. satoshi picked it therefore it's correct

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

surebet posted:

but then who holds the inactive pogs on either side of that equation?

please tell me it's something involving dacs or skynet, also lol if they gently caress it up and something gets created in double, because lol either accepting new value has been created out of thin air (versus your parent's basement's electricity) or lol forking the thing to cancel out that and any subsequent transaction

it looks like you 'lock' coins on chain A by sending them to a special output, and then you can 'create' coins on chain B by proving that you locked them. so nobody holds them, they're completely unusable

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

surebet posted:

burner addresses aren't new, but being able to retrieve coins from an address with no one in charge of the private key would be new

:tenbux: says it'll point to a private service

nah you can still spend the output, it's just that the miners won't let you spend out of it unless you can prove that you 'locked' the coin on the sidechain (the obvious way would be that in order to unlock the coin you have to include an ID of a transaction that locks it on the other chain, idk how it actually works)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Boxturret posted:

yeah like pets.com and the hindenburg

its why i'm still holding onto my enron stock. can't lose!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

the idea of receiving a letter from a government agency that says you can't tell anybody about it makes me kinda uncomfortable tbh

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Jabor posted:

Short-term gag orders with a well-defined end date and clear justification as to their purpose are pretty ok. This isn't exactly an NSL we're talking about here.

yeah but didn't the companies get a DMCA letter about it? if it was a gag order you'd think they'd go through other channels

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Dren posted:

good thread title but maybe too self-aware

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

wasn't he the guy that quit because his 'fan'base was utterly terrible and would complain about every single thing and explicitly said so on reddit

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

quote:

Unfortunately, the economics of this undermine that: being informed that I have earned a fraction of a US cent (not even a fraction of a dollar) for several hours' work is not actually encouraging, nor does it make me feel that my time or work are being valued.

quote:

@evildmp , thanks for your feedback, but as said above, we do NOT notify users on fractions of a US cent (or even US dollar). This was solved over a month ago. Min notification threshold is set to 0.005 btc, that is $1.75 at current rate, we might increase it if bitcoin continues to fall. Please accept apologies if you received such an email from us in the past.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

trucutru posted:

From the tip4commit faq:

Lol.

-I don't want people to tip me.
-Stop limiting the economic activities of other people!

if you want tipcommit disabled for your project then youre basically hitler

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

quote:

"I dream that somehow my grandchildren could meet my grandma. Can this help?"

memory's stored in genes right

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

quote:

why not give bigger (NOT TOO BIG only let's say maximum of restricted x10 big) vote weight to those who proven to have more political knowledge let's say this year?

Ok not only political knowledge, but let's say political goods (now the idea is creating mmorpg-style profiled private key blockchain)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

maybe we could make it so that if you fail the test your vote is worth, oh... 3/5ths as much

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

am i the only one who thinks this entire story was fake

it's just too perfect

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

minivanmegafun posted:

I didn't get that joke until I fired up an Apple][ emulator recently and realized the prompt is "What would you like on your tombstone?"

ohhhhhhhhhhh

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i was playing buttcoin billionaire and i got an ad for a goddamn iphone anime dating game for women

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

This must be like Pluto's Allegory of the Cave; if you've never eaten anything other than lovely food you don't realize how lovely it really is.

Kind of like bitcoin in that bitcoiners know nothing about credit cards or online payment systems, so they assume that bitcoin has all of these features that other payment systems totally don't have, like being able to purchase things online

bitcoin is awesome because it means you dont have to sign up for an account when you check out!!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Weatherman posted:

two things that piss me off, by weatherman (age 8)

- the media calling every scandal somethinggate
- evry nw strtup rmving the vwls frm ther nme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB9JgxhXW5w

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

InShaneee posted:

the fbi found silk road 1, 2, 3, and 5, and now they'll waste all their time looking for silk road 4! :xd:

this reminds me of this

quote:

In the early 1980s, the Naval Investigative Service was investigating homosexuality in the Chicago area. Agents discovered that gay men sometimes referred to themselves as "friends of Dorothy." Unaware of the historical meaning of the term, the NIS believed that there actually was some woman named Dorothy at the center of a massive ring of homosexual military personnel, so they launched an enormous and futile hunt for the elusive "Dorothy", hoping to find her and convince her to reveal the names of gay servicemembers.[6]

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

the comments in the gamergate thread seem to be pretty universally anti-gg which i honestly didn't expect

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

indigi posted:

on Reddit?

yeah

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

gently caress you for posting that in here

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

**Fact:** Most of the trolls here, at /r/Buttcoin, & in the Coindesk comments are the same 3-5 people; paid to sit there and *control the narrative around* bitcoin.

I am not making a guess about this. I used to work for the department of the US Air Force that directs these activities. I'd be able to recognize these sockpuppets by their MO (tactics) anyday.

No, this is not a conspiracy theory. "Web Narrative Control" is a very well-funded branch of military operations assigned mainly to the US Air Force, but mostly contracted out to corporations like HBGary. Elections can and have been swayed by these facists controlling what the public knows about public opinion.

Oddly enough, these programs are not even classified. They never were but there is an obvious media hush job on the subject. Despite that, these stories all got out:

* http://www.informationweek.com/security/client/air-force-seeks-fake-online-social-media/229219056
* http://blogs.computerworld.com/17852/army_of_fake_social_media_friends_to_promote_propaganda
* https://web.archive.org/web/2013081...aganda-accounts
* http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/mar/17/us-spy-operation-social-networks

So where do they hire these FUDders? Right out in the open, on military contracting boards like this one:

* https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=223d75584bd260d9922acf328f2c0064&tab=core&_cview=0

(Note how dry the verbage is, but eventually they get into talking about PSYOPs, renaming them to something that sounds far more mundane.)

Corporations like HBGary that live off the governments' teet pick these up all day every day and assign these jobs in huge numbers out to cover specific sites and topics. No, there is no fear of being 'outted.' One of the links above actually did "out" them for this very act and about 4 people cried foul on their facebook pages. -The consensus is that the public is simply too stupid to see listings like that and understand that it directly relates to their own worldview. For the most part, they are 100% correct.

This is just what warfare is turning into now that everything important is happening online: Armies of sockpuppets, denial of nothing, and the really evil poo poo hides in plain sight by using big words to describe it. -It's working very well for them so far.

*Back to Buttcoiners:*

/r/Buttcoin seems to me to be a "home base" for these traitors. Not everyone there is a paid disinformant of course; there are plenty of fools out there who have been whipped up into a frenzy against bitcoin by the liberal press and universities against freedom concepts like sound money and free markets. So a few of these idiots are likely sincere in their hatred for bitcoin and the freedom it represents.

Buttcoin wasn't started by those folks; they almost certainly joined sometime later.

Clearly /r/bitcoin and related boards are rife with Buttcoiners, and it is obvious to the trained eye how to tell the ones that are just trolling a bit from those in no-holds-barred, full-on FUD mode. The 'tell' is that the sincere idiots are willing to listen and argue back based on your sentiment. Paid FUDders however follow a script and generally are not thinking for themselves.

On Coindesk.com there are three perfect examples of this right now; Disqus users: **darl,** **arguss,** and **Harley Strictly.** I believe all 3 are actually the same person, sitting at a desk in Arlington VA, contracted out specifically at HBGary to sway your opinion of Bitcoin. -Or more precisely: to make it appear **to you** that the public is much more pessimistic towards bitcoin than it really is, *so that you will get discouraged and be less likely to help adoption.*

I can only speculate why the US government wants to do this... Clearly it's not to benefit you and I though. This demonstrates, once again, the problem that Eisenhower warned us all about; once you build a big gun, someone is going to use that gun. We are literally talking about the propaganda branch of the Military Industrial Complex here; it shouldn't come as a surprise that it would get used against other threats to those in charge besides the threat of international terrorism.

If our movement was a violent revolution, today is the day that we should throw ropes over the tree limbs and string these traitors to humanity up. They would deserve every last painful twitch.

But as much as their charter is to search for and identify violent opposition; we won't be giving them the pleasure... A proper response is to DOX these assholes and put their department out of business through decentralizing their entire industry. Yes, even the USAF is not beyond the threat of decentralization. Nothing mankind makes is.

I do feel sorry for the dimwitted liberal/progressives on /r/buttcoin that have no clue that they are simply being suckered in to do work against their fellow human beings. In a violent revolution they too would be hung until they stop twitching. Hopefully humanity has evolved enough that this time we can take it easy on these harmful but largely duped patsies.

To those from /r/Buttcoin that are not paid to FUD the world, I say this plainly: You are being used to destroy human freedom. There is ample evidence of this. Check out my links above and then get to really understand the original bitcoin whitepaper that Satoshi wrote. It is the best weapon against totalitarianism mankind has ever come up with.

To those from HBGary and the USAF propaganda wing, to you I say that you are on the (very) wrong side of history. You are basically the modern day Nazi soldier, or at least the Redcoats of the american revolution. Schoolchildren for centuries to come will be talking about YOU as the great evil that fought against humanity's largest stand for freedom. But this time, the revolution is going to let you live to suffer the emotional scarring of this utter, soul-crushing defeat.

Your only hope to avoid the inevitible suicidal tendencies that comes with your job is to pull a Snowden and join us. Think about it.

One last thing: I will not be returning to log into this account ever again, for obvious reasons, so do not changetip me! If you feel this was valuable information, please show appreciation by sending OpenBazaar your bitlove... Send bitcoin to the project's official wallet or Changetip either **haffmabc**, **drwasho**, or **CC_EF_JTF from** /r/OpenBazaar - They need your funds right now to fight this problem at its root.

Peace, Love, & Bitcoin to all.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Notorious QIG posted:

she also has an rfid implant and was giving out deus ex via high fives at a con a few months ago

this is actually kinda cool

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

tbh whenever i see that video i think that tazing him at the end was definitely unnecessary

satisfying but unnecessary

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

theyre disqualifying 'radiactive' elements like uranium so i guess they understand nuclear chemistry about as well as they understand anything else

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

trucutru posted:

my buckyballs are giving me cancer.

should've done more self-exams

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rai_stones

quote:

The physical location of the stone may not matter—though the ownership of a particular stone changes, the stone itself is rarely moved due to its weight and risk of damage. The names of previous owners are passed down to the new one. In one instance, a large rai being transported by canoe and outrigger was accidentally dropped and sank to the sea floor. Although it was never seen again, everyone agreed that the rai must still be there, so it continued to be transacted as genuine currency.[5]

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

this is the tonal number guy fyi

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

two fish are in a tank. the first one says, 'A tank is a large type of armoured fighting vehicle with tracks, designed for front-line combat. Modern tanks are strong mobile land weapons platforms, mounting a large-calibre cannon in a rotating gun turret. They combine this with heavy vehicle armour providing protection for the crew of the weapon and operational mobility, which allows them to position on the battlefield in advantageous locations. These features enable the tank to have enormous capability to perform well in a tactical situation: the combination of strong weapons fire from their tank gun and their ability to resist enemy fire means the tank can take hold of and control an area of the battle and prevent other enemy vehicles from advancing, for example. In both offensive and defensive roles, they are powerful units able to perform all primary tasks[which?] required of armoured troops on the battlefield.[1] The modern tank was the result of a century of development from primitive armoured vehicles, due to improvements in technology such as the internal combustion engine, which allowed the rapid movement of heavy equipment required to construct armoured vehicles. As a result of these advances, tanks underwent tremendous shifts in capability during the World Wars of the 20th century.'

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Actually, if you could get all the vehicles on the road to be self operating and coordinate with each other we could have much higher speeds on highways and more efficient flow during high traffic volumes. This does require a centrally managed system with set standards and monitoring though, so the opposite of what is happening with Google

yeah basically. the ideal system would be a centralized traffic controller that knows everybody's destination and plans accordingly to avoid overloading certain routes, clean up jams, etc., but that's a terrible idea for so many other reasons that it'll never happen

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

plus even if you have centralized control you still have to deal with cars that aren't on the network unless you can criminalize non-driverless cars and good luck with that

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

has anybody said blocktrain yet

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2mdohs/guy_trying_to_feed_his_16_month_old_on/

quote:

I tipped you $10 and willing to quadruple it... if you do these three things.... And I'm sure bitcoiners will give even more if you do the following: Save all your receipts of what you bought for you and your kid. Go to the local news station with your receipts and share your story about these strangers started giving you bitcoin and converted it to food for you and your kid. The local media love heart throb stories and anything to do with bitcoin. If the media poo poos you... Let me know... I have a few connections. Share a video link on r/Bitcoin to share your story.... So we know we didn't give in vain. Good luck to you and your family this holiday season... Beans, rice and vitamin life... I've been there.... Dropping a tear as I type cause I know how you must feel. Please do as I told... So we know it's not in vain.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

AlbieQuirky posted:

This is like Bitcoin TimeCube.

Why is there so much volume on the Chinese exchanges (particularly BTCChina) and so little volume everywhere else? The contrast is dramatic.

zero fees on trades iirc

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

so one of the foundation members is literally a pyramid scheme

the obvious thing to do here is to kick them out and institute screening policies so this sort of thing won't happen again. so naturally instead they're just bullshitting about 'innocent until proven guilty' and 'well how do you PROVE they're a pyramid scheme'

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

quote:

Duggan said the city database was held hostage for a ransom of 2,000 bitcoins, an encrypted digital currency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

haveblue posted:

question: why does "true and correct" appear so many times in these court documents

does it have some special legal meaning beyond the obvious

for some reason legal documents tend to be kinda repetitive: 'cease and desist', 'terms and conditions', 'true and correct', 'breaking and entering', etc.

• Locked thread