Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

flyboi posted:

couldn't even go for a full page without making GBS threads up the new thread congrats you've reached byob attention span levels yospos

bring back DPPH

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

buttcoin went full bitcoin say it ain't so

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ban everyone involved with buttcoin imo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Krinkle posted:

sometimes people post screenshots of here and it's brown though?

those people are idiot hell fuckers

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

surebet posted:

i'll only quote this bit because gently caress off going through 300 replies of libtard poo poo

its actually way worse

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Chocobo posted:

what should i buy with 50 bitcoins?

a bespoke artisanal 3d printed gun with a qr code generator.

to kill youreself with

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

can i buy people with bitcoin yet?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

idgi is it the apple pay thing

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

apple pay owns please educate youreself

i can't wait to pay for my organic groceries on whole foods with my apple watch

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

good poo poo op

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

i'm looking forward to the final solution

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

it's not even my birthday but i think i'll say it is

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sharknado slashfic posted:

Happy birthday everyone

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

imagine four middlemen at the edge of a cliff

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

i like

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Honked posted:

i'm a lover, not a liker

hmmm... I've heard it all before honked. she told me im her forever i like how, don't you remember?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

someone haunted this thread for halloween? neat

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

i need a video of the winkle twins crash and burn

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

what is wrong with his face

i thought he didnt like ties

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I can't loving wait for technology to kill us all

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ANAmal.net posted:

I had this realization the other day about Johny Ive Aces and Johny 290.

wait what

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ayn rand hand job posted:

hello I watch professional wrestling

sting's back

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

scam idiots for millions, get paid for it some more, play with cats all day.

i want to be mark

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

don't kink shame chart posts they're what I need

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JFairfax posted:

i think u will find this was the best lego set

loving wrong, bro

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

realtalk is there a good place to buy some of these old sets or at least buy the parts and find the instructions online?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I basically laugh so loving hard whenever I check the thread every few hours. This week has been loving M A G I C A L

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bill gates did an ama and got asked about butts again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Me [28 F] with my husband [31 M] 5 years, will not spending our money on bitcoin
submitted 14 hours ago by hubbyhelp123

My husband (I'll call him John for the sake of anonymity) and I have been married for a little over 5 years now and everything has been going well up until a year or so ago. We were planning on having children and everything. Now my life feels like it is at a complete stand still.
John is always bringing up these new business ideas that never go anywhere and I find it cute sometimes because it's not really harming anyone. "We should make a window shade company that simulates sunrises for people who need to wake up before sunrise". It's always weird little things like this. I just laugh because I know he will never do anything with it but he has always dreamed of doing something big.
We are both avid redditors so when we find a new subreddit that we love we get excited and start sending each other links to see if we can get the other one interested. It has mixed results and we laugh it off when he tells me he doesn't care about a new eye shadow that's coming out. Skip to 2013...
He finds out about bitcoin and is sending me links constantly about it. It goes from "check out this cool technology" to absolute cultish behavior in a very brief period. I would say 0-100 in probably 2 months. He starts taking every dime we have and buying them as quickly as he can. He actually set up a feature that BUYS MORE ON A WEEKLY BASIS after our paychecks come through. The worst part is he didn't even TELL ME he did this. He gave me this arrogant response about doing what's best for us and our future kids.
Overall, and I'm not exaggerating, I would say we have lost over $22,000. I kept telling him to sell as the price was rising and he promised me a big year in 2014. The price kept falling and he CONTINUED TO BUY MORE. He makes more money than I do but we are building a future together and we have a shared bank account. He kept telling me this was for our kids college fund, to buy a house, etc. The money...I can get over as people spend money on other stupid crap like boats they will never use but this isn't even the beginning to the absolute craziness I will see out of him over the coming year.
I am in marketing & PR and we run large events at local arenas. A big part of my job is meeting clients/investors for events to ensure them that they will get a return and basically shmooze at parties. My husband used to be great at these events. When people like you and your family, they trust you and are more willing to do business.
My husband starts bringing up loving bitcoin at these events. MY events for MY job. People here have a lot of money and he knows this. He saw this as some kind of opportunity. He goes on and on about how taxes are theft and bitcoin is a way out. The dollar is about to collapse, banks are destroying the world, etc. You are supposed to make light hearted jokes about how their football team is doing, not get into these political discussions. He knows this too since he's been coming to these events with me for years.
It starts off small where I laugh it off and say "ohhhh John, he's into technology and gets a little too excited". He saw this as condescension. The car rides home? Full on fights about how I don't get it and I'm going to be left behind. I felt like I was fighting with some type of evangelical Christian (I have been in plenty of these growing up). He ironically rips into religion any chance he gets but he is absolutely part of a cult full of insane people.
Keep in mind as this goes on he is still buying more as the price goes down telling me we have a great opportunity on our hands. I actually have a bookmark on my phone to see what the bitcoin price is because I can predict his mood for the day. I actually check the price every single loving morning to know how I should treat him that day. His entire mood is based off of the price. It will go up 10% in one day, crash 20% the next. Our whole lives is an emotional rollercoaster based off of absolutely nothing. Every time it goes up a few dollars he rubs it in my face how wrong I was. He ignores long term trends and focuses on these specific time frames to show me how stupid I am. Yes, my husband called me STUPID over THINKING I do not understand it.
I feel like I have read more about bitcoin than he has because he won't discuss any downsides with me. He tells me all problems will be fixed and we are in on the ground floor. He seems to be in a constant good news bubble about this when no one actually cares. Most of the responses he gets from people in public are feigned interest until they can get away from him or they just tell him they don't care if the converstaion lasts more than 2 minutes. I am embarrassed to be around him.
After a recent price crash, he actually bought more using our vacation fund that I have been saving away for AND planning. All gone, in bitcoin never to be seen again.
I am sorry for the long rant but this is my life now. I have tried everything. I have tried reasoning with him. I have tried explaining to him that he should not have sole control over our money. He is so confident that he slyly brings up selling one of our cars to buy more. He didn't come right out and say what it was for but I can guarantee you it was to buy more. He is ruining my job and robbing me of happiness.
I used to consider him a smart guy and I never, ever thought he would succomb to basically being brainwashed by a bunch of clueless idiots on the internet who seem to know absolutely nothing about finance or the real world. I don't know how familiar people are here with bitcoin but if you go to their subreddit, you will see exactly what I'm talking about. I started crying once reading my husband's comments worded slightly differently, repeated 100 times over. It was like I married a parrot.
My parents give that look to each other when he talks now like "ugh, what is he going to say next" every time we have dinner together. I am constantly trying to change the subject and he gets angry with me. You can tell he wants to raise his voice but since we are around my parents he holds back.
What do I DO? I am not religious in any way but my family most certainly is. I feel like I couldn't even bring up divorce and I want to save my husband. I want him back to the way he was. It seems like he is addicted to a drug but since he doesn't realize it, everyone else is wrong. I don't know if I should have an intervention or just walk away and hope he comes to his senses when I'm staying in a hotel for a few weeks.
Again, I apologize for the length but I want you to feel the way I feel so you can understand the advice you are giving. I really need help here. Thank you to anyone who even reads half of this!
tl;dr: My husband will not stop spending money on bitcoins. He brings it up every chances he gets with people he as just met. We have lost a lot of money on this and as time goes by, he wants to listen less and less. I'm scared there isn't a way to talk him out of this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

triple sulk posted:

Read this whole thing, it was worth it

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > bitcoin: I used to consider him a smart guy and I never, ever thought he would succomb to basically being brainwashed by a bunch of clueless idiots on the internet who seem to know absolutely nothing about finance or the real world.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

although someone did point out the transactions are irreversible so she could just give him a taste of his own medicine and sell all of the bitcoins.

send them to a void address :getin:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

it's just so loving unfair going about life knowing i don't have a name as awesome as Tuur DeMeester.

makes me want to kill myself

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

i'm not sure what would be funnier: the jury returning in < 1 hour or their taking weeks to deliberate

returning every hour then going back then repeating it for weeks until they have enough confirmations

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

after 4 hours the jury will come back for clarification of what's a "buttcoin"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

""They say a man who represents himself has a fool for a client. Well, with God as my witness, I am that fool!"

dude owned and was awesome in everything.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hosed up if true

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

30 years minimum.

for a person who is 30 years old

"you have been convicted to jail for the entire amount of time you have existed thus far, including time when you weren't aware you had legs"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

hosed up if true

• Locked thread