Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Here is the definition of sidechains:

ME BITCOINER, ME HATE ALTCOINS! ME WISH ALTCOINS WOULD GO AWAY! WHAT IF WE MADE BITCOIN INTO ALTCOINS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Just anything here: http://www.reddit.com/user/Bitcoinbaby222

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

AlsoD posted:

first thing i saw:

i'm calling Poe's law on this one, no way is this person genuine

I don't know, he's been posting this stuff for over a year at this point.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Bitcoin dot jpg found.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I love this because bitcoin is so totally rotten I can't tell if this exchange is so lovely you can just withdraw things multiple times or if this whole thing is a scam to make bitcoiners THING you can do this so they send all their money to this exchange so the exchange can steal all the money of people trying to hack the site.

http://mineforeman.com/2014/09/24/how-i-accidentally-hacked-the-igot-exchange/

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It was my birthday Saturday and my ex girlfriend asked me to go out to dinner and she'd pay and then we went out to dinner and when the check came she went to the bathroom for a really long time then when the check was still there she was like "I'm not actually going to pay" so welp.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Boxturret posted:

what do you expect to happen after you re-mortgaged her parent's house

also: :toot:

It was the richest ex girlfriend I have and also like a 11 dollar meal so I don't even know what the deal was.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FCKGW posted:

can someone give me a breakdown of the sec/fincen happenings

SEC is "it's illegal to issue unregulated stocks even if you call them something other than stocks"

FINCEN is "It's illegal to have an unregulated business that transmits money even if you call it something other than money, everyone has to follow money transmitter laws"

Basically both are "you can't just get around financial regulation by converting money to poker chips then trading in those".

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
[–]aj853 20 points 2 hours ago
I give up. Bitcoin has broken me financially and mentally I can barely get out of bed in the morning. You guys win, you got me. I feel like everyone made money except for me. I'm past the point of being disgusted with myself, now it's just a cold numbness. I don't understand how I could be so stupid... I could have made money but I held, and held, and held.... Every morning when I wake up..

"Why the gently caress didn't you sell?"

Why are we going down still, when is this ever going to turn around? I've lost all hope.

I didn't buy on credit or with 'money I couldn't afford to lose,' but it still hurts a lot.

permalinksavereportgive goldreply
[–]robboywonderLong-term Holder 5 points an hour ago

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
[–]5817707 [score hidden] 52 minutes ago*
OKay here it is. I'm living in the streets now... not thanks to Bitcoin but thanks to myself and my hopefuly beliefs about Bitcoin finally taking us out of slavery from money manipulators thousands of miles away taking a % of every transaction worldwide. I've always said I don't care if my coin goes to 0 if I help to change the world by adopting it it is worth it.

I've never lived in the streets before. I could sell my bitcoins now at a loss and get a car or apartment for the short term and be okay. But I'm going homeless. Why? I believe more in changing the world than my greed for profit.

Not only am I not selling at a loss, I'm going to continue to be homeless in order to keep them. I'm going to do EVERYTHING in my power to ensure that Wells Fargo does not see a dime from me ever again any time I can help it. That means not spending my BTC until people accept and hold BTC (not trade it directly for fiat)...

So I'm in long term, I don't care if it goes to $1 I"m going to keep buying if I get winter work, going to put every last spare penny into it still. When I go back to my regular job in the Summer... going to keep buying.

The only thing that we need to do is remember that bitcoin can never go away anymore. it will always be worth "something". Sidechains are going to make it more useful.

And the dollar is by laws of mathematics going to inflate FAR faster than bitcoin. It doesn't look like it because when two trillion dollars are manufactuerd its a drop in the bucket but when 1000 bitcoins are sold its a huge percent. As BTC growth slows down though it will become more obvious that worldwide the BTC will retain more value than dollar day by day.

Holding long term is the only right way to go. We're close to 0 already so if it DOES go forever away then well I can't get mch worse off than I am now. I'm learning to live in the streets so I can hold this long term.

I can't explain it all right now but seriously stop worrying. Think of it as LONG TERM. You only lose if you sell at a loss so pretend you put that in a 5 year CD instead and don't look at it's value daily, look at it a few times a year.

(edit: if another coin looks way more promising than bitcoin then I'm also diversifying my crypto investments but right now I'm 80% BTC. Just FYI I really like the direction of MAID and others that will liberate content from adertisers, trackers, and governments)

permalinksaveparentreportgive goldreply

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Seeing all these "tipping threads" I've turned from a hater into a beliver. Microtips are a good idea! Now I would suggest a few things... (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 29 minutes ago by OCPetrus
commentsharesavehidereport
Okay so I'm at work atm and am in a hurry after work so I just write this quickly before I forget it.
1) There should be support for formatting of the tips on each social media. For example, here on reddit there could be next to the post a little tag that how many bits a post has received. Then you could click on that and see each sender and the amount.
It could be done using a subreddit CSS, browser plug-in or whatever, I don't care. I think that this subreddit would be the first place to take this into use. Then it could gradually grow to other subreddits and then other social medias.
2) A pyramid scheme would be cool. Only that it would be the opposite of a pyramid. I haven't thought through all the specific details yet, but something that you chip in an amount and that amount grows when more people chip in your branch.
Of course, it would be something like that you specify to chip in originally 1000 bits. Then for the 10 first who chip next in your branch, you will chip in 100 bits for each of them. Then, say, 10 for 10 first in the branches (10 in each branch, 10 branches = 100 tips in total) of the previous.
Whaddayathink?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I went to paris this weekend and there was just some empty building with "la mansion du bitcoin" and a bunch of bitcoin logos all over it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I'm a bit late on CD chat but I remember I had some body atlus thing and I'd just watch a tiny postage stamp video of a pregnant lady's breasts getting bigger over and over and over.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I kinda imagine that unlike freeman on the land logic there isn't a single computer program algorithm that does it in some absolute certain way. I bet every set of transactions in a big range just go to some guy at a desk and he looks them over and uses his imperfect human mind to think what looks good or not.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

It's astounding how much Dumb VC money is out there. I mean I know money =/= intelligence but you'd think they'd have been scammed out of their funds long before they hit the '$100k Angel investor' phase.

Kinda not though, bitcoin people like to trumpet up the vast amount of money going into bitcoin but in real life their grand total for all of VC investment in every single bitcoin company combined ever all through history only makes up a number that is like half of the amount VC regularly dumps into just single companies.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I often forget the bullshit size that is the financial sector.

Like every bitcoin company in existance has gotten 403.25 million dollars in venture capital. As summed up by this: http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-venture-capital/

A company like webvan got 860 million dollars just as a single company. And it never even launched.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Meltdown in progress:

https://twitter.com/ElectrumWallet/status/541420975716597760

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

theflyingorc posted:

i dont get how the coiners don't understand that bitcoin will never be successful as long as constant vigilance isn't needed to keep them safe

I don't even know what sort of vigilance would even protect you in this case. It was literally "blockchain info changed their code suddenly and it was bad, sorry!". I can't even imagine a way a consumer could protect against that. Even if they personally read the source code to the site to check it was changed.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

infernal machines posted:

they protect themselves by not using the service in the first place.

everything about bitcoin "security" involves getting rid of anything resembling convenience.

offline cold wallet on paper, generated with a thoroughly checked address generator on a pc that's never been online using a live cd, stored in an offsite vault.

any time someone tries to introduce convenience to bitcoins e.g. online wallets and trading systems it ends up being a vector for theft. 100% of the time. because the system itself is not designed to be usable (at all), and relies on everyone being a lone wolf conspiracy sperg to protect their wallet

I don't even know what sort of degree a person would need to be able to reliably personally verify the security of their rnd generator.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

theflyingorc posted:

(i suspect the google searches will spike slightly because of the bitcoin bowl, as tons of people say "what the hell is a bitcoin bowl")

You have to understand how small of a game it is. It's literally a football game played on a baseball diamond. They don't even have a real stadium.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Yeah, the whole thing is just barely a step above sponsering a little league game. There is highschool football games that get more viewers.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Endless Mike posted:

capacity is supposedly 43k for football, which actually makes it smaller than the stadium for either of the teams in the game, though a bit higher than the average attendance for ucf and quite a bit lower than the average nc state attendance.

Capacity, beef o brady bowl last year got 20,053 people. It's not a popular or important game.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
PEORIA — A Normal man has been sentenced to four years in federal prison for running an unlicensed, multimillion-dollar bitcoin exchange on the Internet.
Chief U.S. District Judge James E. Shadid sentenced John D. Powell 55, to 48 months in federal prison and to serve three years of supervised release following his incarceration.
On July 31, Powell entered an open plea of guilty to two counts of operating an unlicensed money service business. He was sentenced last week.
It was the first such case prosecuted by the U.S. attorney for the Central District of Illinois, said that office.
Bitcoin is a cybercurrency that allows individuals to conduct transactions anonymously. According to court documents, Powell’s exchange business allowed individuals increased anonymity by exchanging cash anonymously for bitcoin.
Investigators found that Powell received more than $3 million from individuals during an 18-month period ending in February 2014, according to the U.S. attorney's office.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hammerite posted:

blockchains are not good, they are actually stupid and bad

Like seriously sometimes people say "bitcoin is dumb but blockchains are an interesting technology", but they really aren't since the whole "distributed mining will keep them safe" thing has been tried and failed and multiple times a single actor got majority control and the only reason it's not like that now is friendly agreement/posting some blocks under a different pool name.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

theflyingorc posted:

I wouldn't say it "solves" it. It's not really adaptable to anything else, and it requires a large number of "generals" to work at all - consider what happened to Auroracoin.

Basically, it's "solution" to the problem is twofold - the interesting way it behaves is that it limits the ability of the "generals" to issue orders. You have to solve a problem to be able to speak. This doesn't change the fact that a bad agent can issue bad orders if they happen to be the person who gets the solution. The only defense against this is incentivizing honesty with the reward for solving it. Any other task that relied on Bitcoin would have to have a similar "reward" structure to be useful, and it's hard to picture what other than a currency would be able to accomplish this.

"hey what if we paid people to not misbehave" is not an interesting or inventive solution to the byzantine general's problem. Nor is it actually a solution in any of the ways that make it a math problem in the first place.

It's like saying kids solve the knapsack problem or a vacuum clean salesman solves the traveling salesman problem. The whole problem isn't "this is physically impossible in any case", it's about finding a mathematical solution for any case.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
You can't even buy time magazine itself using bitcoin.

"Consumers can now pay for digital and print subscriptions of Fortune, Health, This Old House and print subscriptions of Travel + Leisure using bitcoin."

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
–]mobile_rock 2 points 4 hours ago
Essentially it needs an identity that is not that of a staunch fiscally conservitive minded square. It needs people wanting to be associated with it because it gives them status, makes them look smart, and has sex apeal.

But right now the image is that of a libertarian amway party held in a manchilds basement that smells like farts.

Sexy indeed.

permalinksaveparentreportgive goldreply

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TVarmy posted:

5, mods please rewrite the forums software to support this title

Seriously someone figure out how to make that the title of this thread.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
we know this message is coming as a surprise to you but listen very carefully my friend, it's in your interest not to make the fatal mistake of assuming this is a joke and ignoring this message at your peril, this is about your life and the life of your family we're loving talking about, ignore this warning at your own risk, you have been advised and warned. This message is directly addressed to you and to no other. There's no need introducing us, we live by the BULLET. We see you, you don't see us, you don't know us. So be careful. Straight to the point, we will shoot to death, you and your family, if you fail to pay a one-time monetary tribute to the Mob within the next 12 days. We don't loving joke. We gat every detail we need to inflict maximum damage so better not gently caress with us. The selection process for this was random and was not triggered by any event under your control, however, once our selection is made and our target chosen, it's made; there's no going back, and we don't loving joke. That's why we're making this effort to formally inform you before it gets loving late for you. We'll give you enough time to comply with the demand of the Bratva, or get killed. You've been tracked, trailed, monitored and noted. We've kept tabs on you and your family in recent days. Believe this or not: we gat every-loving-detail we need about you and your family, we have photos, we know where to get you, we know where you live. Before contacting our target, our job is thorough. Comply with the demand of the Mafia and you and your family will be safe and remain safe, and we will leave you and go our way peacefully. But fail to comply and you won't loving escape been murdered. We can gun you down anywhere anytime just like that, even today. Even in a crowded place a precision snipe from Men will loving take you down. We can kill you in a thousand ways my friend. Don't loving make us take your lives. Foolhardy of you it'll be to take this as a bluff, you'll be treading on deathly paths. Don't take a gamble with your life, and the life of your loved ones. This is the only email communication you will receive from the Mob. The only other communication you're gonna receive from us is a hail of bullets, if our demand is not met before deadline. So listen very carefully my friend and make the best use of this instruction before it's loving late; you're required to pay a one-time monetary tribute of 7 bitcoins (7 BTC) to the bitcoin wallet address below if you care to live. To make this easier for you, use the service of any one of these 3 trustworthy and verified online bitcoin vendors to purchase these coins: coinbase.com, localbitcoins.com, or trucoin.com. Any one of these verified vendors should be adequate for you to buy these coins. We have given you sufficient information to easily buy the required coins and save your life and your family even if you're a novice when it comes to bitcoin. Do not say you were not adequately instructed, when things begin to happen, on failing to fulfil our demand. We're giving you a whole 12 days to buy 7 of these coins and send them to the dedicated wallet address below if you care about your life and the life of your loved ones:
1BHsLvdTYhq54wvJVHtiCihXC1KWpcgWtq
You gat 12 days to pay this monetary tribute. If after 12 days from today the payment is not received, it'll be taken as an affront and an insult to the Bratva, and the consequence is DEATH, and there'll be no going back. It's left to you my friend to decide whether you wanna live or die. Our mode of strike is planned and ready. Once the deadline is crossed, it's our finger on the loving trigger. Know this: you and your family can never escape us, the Mob will always track you down, and when it does, you all are loving dead. It'll be wise of you my friend to quietly pay this one-time monetary tribute before deadline and have your life and safety than to have you and your family mercilessly gunned-down in cold blood by the Violent, you are warned. This is a private message, we're everywhere; tell anyone about this and you're dead. Don't loving put yourself against the Mafia. We gat our ears on ground. We're closer than you think. Every single move you make is strictly monitored. Any loving screw-up results in death. The clock is ticking, we're counting, you gat 12 days. Take this from me: WE WILL SHOOT TO DEATH, YOU AND YOURS, IF THE PAYMENT IS NOT RECEIVED WITHIN THE NEXT 12 DAYS; this ain't a threat my friend; it's a loving promise. Give the Mob it's little one-time due and remain alive and safe, and everybody goes home happy, it's not too much to ask for, you're advised for the very last time. Our demand is nothing compared to the value of your life and that of your loved ones. Don't lose your life and your family over what you can easily afford. Be wise. Pay-up and you will have nothing to worry about my friend; FAIL TO PAY AND GET FELLED BY A HAIL OF BULLETS. 12 days, OVER.
Mob.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Verdafolio posted:

let me google labrys to see what it is, oh wait no it's anime

excuse me, persona is not an anime.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Realistically the end game of bitpay is they are going to be a minor paypal clone that co-opts a bunch of bitcoin language and grows more and more distant from any use of bitcoin in any step of their operation.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
This is the best chart

https://www.tradingview.com/v/MW7ZZW0C/

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Vault of Satoshi is Closing. (self.vos)
submitted 7 minutes ago by vos_team - stickied post
Vault of Satoshi will be closing on February 5th, 2015. Although new deposits will no longer be accepted, rest assured, you will have plenty of time to finalize any trades and withdraw any outstanding funds with all of the convenience and expeditiousness that you’re used to. Please ensure that all of your withdrawal requests are submitted by February 5th.
We expect there will be some speculation as to why the Vault is going to be sealed forever, and we’d like to reassure the community that it has absolutely nothing to do with insolvency, stolen funds, or any other unfortunate scenario. To this day we are proud to have run the first full proof-of-reserve exchange in the industry, with strict compliance and security regimes. Our decision stems from opportunities presented by a new business that has forced us to reexamine our priorities.
Our founders and team of developers began work on a new, non-cryptocurrency project about 6 months ago, which has since become quite successful. We are forced to make a choice on where to expend our efforts, as we simply do not have time to continue operating both businesses. We feel splitting our focus would be a disservice to the customers of Vault, so although our competitors may lack some of the features, currencies, and innovations that Vault brought to the Canadian market, they will serve you well for your basic exchange needs.
We are still true-believers, and think Satoshi Nakamoto has set in course something that will change the world for the better. Thank you loyal Vault customers for joining us on one of the most exciting adventures of our time! There’s no doubt that this is just the beginning, and we will continue to watch from the sidelines as history unfolds, with Bitcoin becoming more understood, accepted, and appreciated every day.
Sincerely,
The Vault of Satoshi Team

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Mods change the title to:

"In the middle of their mafia-style killing plans, Dread Pirate Roberts also suggests that Redandwhite set up Torchat, an anonymous, encrypted instant messaging system. But the program doesn’t work initially, and the two alternate between tech troubleshooting and planning a quadruple murder."

Bitcoin: the two alternate between tech troubleshooting and planning a quadruple murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I'm like 30 and one of my friends forgot their licence and needed me to buy cigarettes for them and I got so nervous about it they decided not sell me them because my friend was like lurking around in the back being all sneaky about it. Even though they are also nearly 30.

• Locked thread