Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
That new thread smell. It's a good smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ah, time to kick off a fresh new thread, with a discussion of mini sentries and heavies.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

mabels big day posted:

Ah, time to kick off a fresh new thread, with a discussion of mini sentries and heavies.

minisentrys : fun and good stop being wussies

heavys : fun with shotgun and fist otherwise kinda gay but its w/e

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Xander77 posted:

Hah. I thought about asking for it (but only because I have a clear and obvious bias).

In other news, is there a reason to stick spell pages into your spellbook? Does that do anything?

If you get three (?) pages it becomes equippable and you can use it like the spellbook magazine. Adding more after that doesn't do anything.

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Maybe put tf2 center in the op? Lots of good games to be had.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Repost repost

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Magnificent.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Thanks for whoever recommended I should idle on lakeside_event. Got about 5$ shot over the last two days (and yes, I'm poor and Irish Jewish enough that that matters). I wonder if Helltower / Viaduct have auto-teleport to gift maps (and if the occasional gift still has the haunted quality)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

verbal enema posted:

minisentrys : fun and good

hosed up.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they nearly nerfed the sticky launcher?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

They ACTUALLY nerfed the Sticky Launcher, they just reverted it after about a week.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Wait are there still complaints about heavy? Like I was chief heavy complainer for a long time, to the point that someone had bought me an avatar about it. But he's in a much better spot now. Like okay yeah it hurt his already niche comp viability but the impact on pubs was the big deal and now he's minimally effective in the hands of the minimally competent. That's as things should be.

Unrelated: Anyone had any experience with spray problems on their server? I'm not getting sprays displaying on mine. Set to sv_pure 1, mp_decals 300, upload is allowed. I can't think of any other relevant settings. It's not a local client problem as people on my server have said the same thing.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

As a pubking scout I eat unprepared heavies for breakfast now, so I'm happy with them. Only balance thing I'd still like to see changed is sentry knockback, or at least from minis. The drat things pin me to a wall far too often.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
New thread! :toot:

Continuing on with long held tradition (bitching about mini sentries :v:) I have always said here that I have no problem with mini-sentries, until someone starts using them on stupidly open maps like High/helltower or koth maps.

Then I magically transform into a frothing mad pubbie ranting about stupid arsehole engineers and I have to take a step back and play Soldier or Demo to calm down.

I may or may not be bitter about seemingly coordinated engie teams appearing to lock down my Halloween tradition of killing everyone while they try and get the event achievements.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wait who thinks heavies are overpowered? Unless you happen to be defending a very good sentry spot explosives classes will dunk on you.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Wait who thinks heavies are overpowered? Unless you happen to be defending a very good sentry spot explosives classes will dunk on you.

Eh, it's not the easiest fight in the world for a Soldier, it's still three rockets and a Heavy with good aim functions pretty similar to a flak cannon if you're trying to get the jump on them. Against Demoman though: give up, go home, you lose.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah if you can force a straight deathmatch you'll probably beat a soldier, but if there are any corners nearby they can just hide between rockets and win pretty easily.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.

RustyTrombone posted:

Maybe put tf2 center in the op? Lots of good games to be had.
Good catch, added a new section to the OP. If there's anything that anyone thinks should be changed, just post.

Zero! posted:

Competitive Play
While most people play on public servers, there's a small, active competitive TF2 community. This is mostly broken down into:
• 6v6 - 2 scouts, 2 soldiers, 1 demoman and 1 medic, with scouts and soldiers switching to other classes when needed
• Highlander - 9v9, class limit of 1
• 4v4 - A newish mode, class limit of 1 with heavy & medic disallowed at the same time

If you want to get involved, here are some recommended sites to check out.
TF2Center - Play one-off competitive games without a pre-organised team. Easiest way to get a taste of how competitive TF2 works. Anyone anywhere can host a lobby as long as they have a TF2 server.
TeamFortressTV - The international competitive community forums. Has lots of information about all competitive TF2 as well as news on upcoming events.
UGC League - NA, SA, EU, AUS/NZ and Asia - Free to play league that hosts 6v6, Highlander and 4v4. One of the best leagues for starting out in competitive TF2.
ETF2L - EU only - European free to play league that hosts 6v6 and Highlander. Also excellent for starting out in the lower divisions while also hosting the best of Europe in the top divisions.
OzFortress - AUS/NZ only - Australian free to play league that hosts 6v6 and Highlander. Similar to ETF2L in skill divisions.
ESEA - NA only - North American pay to play league that hosts 6v6. Have the only significant cash prizes in competitive TF2 but is only for highly skilled gamers.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Pub heavies are awful. A lot of the time, they will try to shoot at you at from medium-long range while you decorate their face with pills & rockets. I don't think most of them realize how important positioning is with that class, because they will just run in like idiots.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The problem with heavies (in pubs) is when there are more than 2 of them, especially if they're even mildly competent. Just walking meatshields, soaking up all the damage forever. And then they'll get random crits and skillhose you from across the map :v:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

CoolCab posted:

Eh, it's not the easiest fight in the world for a Soldier, it's still three rockets and a Heavy with good aim functions pretty similar to a flak cannon if you're trying to get the jump on them. Against Demoman though: give up, go home, you lose.

Rockets only do 90 base damage, so it's more like 4+ rockets without ramp-up, and if you're close enough for ramp-up to matter then an aware Heavy wins pretty much every time against any class. On the other hand rockets are much better at max range than miniguns, and Heavies are practically stationary targets for the purpose of leading shots, so in open areas the Soldier has a huge advantage. Every class has at least one weapon or class of weapons that will beat or at least match a Heavy in a straight deathmatch at max falloff.

Scout: pistols, they're way more accurate, also you're a smaller target than your opponent, but of course the health difference makes this dicey for more than harassment.
Soldier: rockets, especially Direct Hit since each airshot is worth 151 damage.
Pyro: flare guns, particularly THE Flare Gun.
Demoman: you're a Demoman, c'mon.
Engineer: same analysis as Scout, also Wrangler though only dorks use the Wrangler instead of Pistol.
Medic: Blutsauger is far more accurate than the Minigun is at range, and you can heal faster than the Heavy can damage you.
Sniper: this is your job. Your job is to kill Heavies (and Medics) beyond normal engagement range.
Spy: Ambassador, if you can get the headshots.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Here is my post about minisentries: they force me to stop playing scout on king of the hill and i hate them.

MrGunner
Apr 9, 2004

dream the dream of your attrition
Let's say there was a person that hasn't played this game since hats because they thought that hats were pretty loving stupid. Is there a point to playing it now that there's billions of them or am I way to far behind the hat curve to even bother?

Also is the game still pretty much the same or have there been actual gameplay changes other then balance tweaks and hats upon hats?

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.
I think this might be my favourite new TF2 exploit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boIt3pYmWbs&hd=1

Also shout outs to forums user sileo for PMing me with a list of servers that were in the OP but had died at some point and some replacement IPs, cheers dude.

MrGunner posted:

Let's say there was a person that hasn't played this game since hats because they thought that hats were pretty loving stupid. Is there a point to playing it now that there's billions of them or am I way to far behind the hat curve to even bother?

Also is the game still pretty much the same or have there been actual gameplay changes other then balance tweaks and hats upon hats?

There have been a bunch of gameplay changes with a load of new weapons and new game modes. If you want to get a quick run-down of new stuff you can check the major update page and the weapons page on the wiki. None of the new stuff is blatantly overpowered or anything though, you can just play with all the weapons you start the game with and dunk on pubbies all day. Check out some of the servers in the OP if the millions of Valve servers don't tickle your fancy.

Zero! fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 26, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You can just completely ignore hats. There have been real updates (mainly new weapons and maps and stuff), the most notable one would probably be the addition of a co-op gamemode, Mann vs Machine.

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW

Why aren't you people talking about the Halloween event?
stop loving whinging about mini sentries and heavies talk about the loving Halloween event going on RIGHT NOW

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW

Did you know that if you play on koth_lakeside_event, you can find presents that give you poo poo like this?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MrGunner posted:

Be a TF2 hipster and play completely stock all the time, with no cosmetics.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Why does the number of hats matter when they don't do anything?

If you don't want hats, don't use hats. If you use 0 hats, it doesn't matter if there are 10 or 10,000.

Also no, sorry dude, no gameplay changes or tweaks at all in almost 5 years. They've just been adding hats, solely.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

MrGunner posted:

There's a bunch of people running around with Rocket Jumpers (rocket launcher that does no damage, only good for rocketjumping) who try to melee people in midair now. Some of them use parachutes. Also there's a medigun that lets the Medic keep up with Scouts and explosive jumpers.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Pickle dicker posted:

stop loving whinging about mini sentries and heavies talk about the loving Halloween event going on RIGHT NOW

It has not started yet.

MrGunner
Apr 9, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

Why does the number of hats matter when they don't do anything?

If you don't want hats, don't use hats. If you use 0 hats, it doesn't matter if there are 10 or 10,000.

Also no, sorry dude, no gameplay changes or tweaks at all in almost 5 years. They've just been adding hats, solely.

Sorry for upsetting you by asking questions about a game that I want to play again. I pretty much exclusively play Dotes and CSGO now so I've come to embrace the hats. I was mostly wondering if since hats are more than just simple cosmetic items in TF2 if they were necessary to play at this point. Saying that they don't do anything is pretty ridiculous since they obviously all change the way you play the game.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I put an exorcism spell on my Stickybomb launcher, that already had the pumpkin gourd grenade spell on it, and I think that's preventing me from actually having ghosts come out of people. Maybe it can only show one visual effect at a time, because I haven't seen any ghosts from people that I kill with my stickies.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

MrGunner posted:

Sorry for upsetting you by asking questions about a game that I want to play again. I pretty much exclusively play Dotes and CSGO now so I've come to embrace the hats. I was mostly wondering if since hats are more than just simple cosmetic items in TF2 if they were necessary to play at this point. Saying that they don't do anything is pretty ridiculous since they obviously all change the way you play the game.

Unusual Team Captains now add 20% more damage to all weapons and make you twice as fast, so that people get a return on their investment and to encourage more crate-opening.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Anyone know a good Halloween server? I'd like to get me some spells and poo poo without having to dig through pubs. Also is anyone planning on doing a Good server for this years event like previous ones?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MrGunner posted:

You can do taunts that both team members and enemies can join in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBdfwezXkIg Also, bread pops out of teleporters now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

MrGunner posted:

Saying that they don't do anything is pretty ridiculous since they obviously all change the way you play the game.

What, the hats? loving no, dude. Try the game. There's a reason it's called cosmetic stuff -- it's just dressing up your mans like barbies.

Weapons? Stock weapons are better for nearly every class with a couple of exceptions (Engie, Spy, Pyro). All non-stock weapons are side-grades and you get them from just playing (they drop after a certain amount of minutes playing, about 11 items per week).

Halloween period is not the best time to play TF2 seriously, but if you just want to shoot people and throw them into explosive pumpkins while skeletons chase after you then you'll have a good time, too.

Also, watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYrnAaNW5ow&hd=1

This game is all about skill. Hats or no hats make no difference.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah realistically you'll have access to all the unlockable weapons you want pretty quickly (most of them can be found on bot sites like scrap.tf, and if not then you can almost always find someone who will trade you the base weapon as long as you're prepared to give them two weapons for it).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pickle dicker posted:

Ok.

It's stupid that now that they're just letting you get in on whatever event from the last four years that you're not also given plenty of non-Halloween options to play as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrGunner
Apr 9, 2004

Okay I wasn't sure about the weapons and how they worked. I remember medic having a crit thing that changed the overcharge to make the person crit 100% and stuff but it's been years since I've played so I wasn't sure if there was a ton of new crazier stuff since then.

• Locked thread