Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only episode I can think of where i"m not really hot on the main plot is the one about Transfats. Its weird becuase that plot was done a bunch of times on other shows, including King of the Hill. But the plots are always "banning transfats is a great injustice!" and some weird idea that they are the source of taste.

The bit with Turlington looking for money is solid though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Transfats brought us this from Steve:

Why? 'Cause it's illegal to kill a cop who's up in your business? But that's a stupid law!

:allears:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

twistedmentat posted:

The only episode I can think of where i"m not really hot on the main plot is the one about Transfats. Its weird becuase that plot was done a bunch of times on other shows, including King of the Hill. But the plots are always "banning transfats is a great injustice!" and some weird idea that they are the source of taste.

The bit with Turlington looking for money is solid though.

The best part of the Transfat episode was the ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfSbcIrxvto

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Capn Beeb posted:

Transfats brought us this from Steve:

Why? 'Cause it's illegal to kill a cop who's up in your business? But that's a stupid law!

:allears:

Yea that's good too.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The best part of the Transfat episode was the ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfSbcIrxvto

I want the woman with the pink mohawk to come back.

But those both show that even in an episode you're not enjoying overall has great stuff in it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Most of the first season episodes are weak but once you get past the Saudi Arabia two parter, everything is pretty good to me. American Dad is one of those shows where the more times I watch an episode the funnier it gets.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Missourah.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly Toshi is probably my least favorite major recurring character on the show(that isn't currently dead), and I'm not a big fan of Barry or Snot either

This right here is what we in the shitposting business call, a terrible opinion.

You're just jealous because you hate Snot and he's getting snizz on the reg.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Nastier Nate posted:

You're just jealous because you hate Snot and he's getting snizz on the reg.

Stop saying that!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

The_Doctor posted:

Missourah.

What character(s) is she supposed to be based on? It seems so familiar but I can't place it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
My least favorite episode is easily the one with the Kardashian girl voicing the pink hair alien that Roger falls in love with. There's just no jokes to be found there at all.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Vakal posted:

My least favorite episode is easily the one with the Kardashian girl voicing the pink hair alien that Roger falls in love with. There's just no jokes to be found there at all.

It's The Kardashian girl and :same:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MizPiz posted:

What character(s) is she supposed to be based on? It seems so familiar but I can't place it.

I feel the same way, but I can't quite place her.

Maybe a composite of a bunch of Tennessee Williams characters? That's the vibe I'm getting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Apparently Francine is doing Mary Tyler Moore in 80s film Ordinary People

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Thank you, I would NOT have gotten that.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Vakal posted:

My Morning Straight Jacket is my least favorite.

It's like one of the writer's wanted an excuse to jerk off about his favorite band for 22 minutes. Alot of AD plots feel forced but they make it up for it by being funny, not this one.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Bar Mitzvah Hustle is my least favorite. I hate that kid that just appears to start poo poo. Which is too bad, because every scene without him is great. And it made me hate Debby, too.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Loved the Technical Difficulties bits, though

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The Nastier Nate posted:

My Morning Straight Jacket is my least favorite.

It's like one of the writer's wanted an excuse to jerk off about his favorite band for 22 minutes. Alot of AD plots feel forced but they make it up for it by being funny, not this one.

Some positives about this episode: Jim James was a really good voice actor, and Zach Galifianakis as one-shot character Norman.

"I'm crouched down in the shower, so uh... the farts are kinda slipping out."

But yeah, this is a weird episode that really didn't need to be made.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Indie Movie, however accurate it's portrayal of the title subject may be, is pointless, and cleary the worst episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

XBenedict posted:

Indie Movie, however accurate it's portrayal of the title subject may be, is pointless, and cleary the worst episode.

I do not remember that episode at all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

We... are... infinite.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

twistedmentat posted:

Not even the Roger/Stan subplot could save it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh yeah the... Cake cutter. Not a knee slapper

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I love Indie Movie . It's the greatest takedown of indie movies I've seen.

:byodame: "You need to move."

:v: "eh?"

:byodame: "Fowards or backwards, but you need to move."

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I like that one lol

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Indie Movie is a great episode. My Morning Straitjacket isn’t great but I wouldn’t say it’s super terrible either. The only American Dad episodes I don’t like are the first season ones since it’s all super dated obvious Bush era jokes.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Enjoying the "Indie Movie" episode is heavily reliant on how many indie movies a person has seen, just like how the humor in "Blood crieth onto heaven" relies on how much live theater a person has seen or been involved with. I watched a LOT of indie movies as a pretentious college student, so I loved it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Haha is that the one with Patrick Stewart live acting

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

A MIRACLE posted:

Haha is that the one with Patrick Stewart live acting

Indeed it is, and it's amazing.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

drat this baby, drat this heat!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

SeANMcBAY posted:

Indie Movie is a great episode. My Morning Straitjacket isn’t great but I wouldn’t say it’s super terrible either. The only American Dad episodes I don’t like are the first season ones since it’s all super dated obvious Bush era jokes.

You gotta grade all the 1st season episodes on a curve cause the writers had no clue wtf they were doing other than "Conservative dad family guy, Stewie is an alien". Yea they aren't great and I don't usually watch them, but I won't poo poo on them either.

Bullocks to Stan is the first really good American Dad

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The thing about American dad is I'm routinely surprised how early in the run any arbitrary episode is.

For example, I remember the episode "Star Trek" as being fairly representative of a modern American Dad plot and it was only the 15th goddamn episode.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The first great episode to me is Francine's Flashback. Roger wasn't fully formed yet, sure, but I think shifting the conflict from Stan/Hayley to Stan/Francine fully exploited how wild & kooky she could be when going against her husband.

Meanwhile, the Bush dinner ep from S2 feels like early S1 leftovers, and I haven't bothered since it first aired.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

For example, I remember the episode "Star Trek" as being fairly representative of a modern American Dad plot and it was only the 15th goddamn episode.

Yeah, that one always surprises me, it feels very 4th/5th season.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well, this is where our story started.

Only the dead kid wasn't me.

That was kind of a screw to the audience.

Sorry.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

American Dad gave us Kevin Bacon's Twitter profile pic, and we should all be grateful

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

drat this baby, drat this heat!

Devil farted thick today.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Oh Snapple! posted:

Bless this post

Also the first season gave us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfk2wvZAxgc

So it's not all bad :v: I'm surprised I managed to find that the first try, usually finding American Dad clips on youtube or whatever results in either someone filming it with an old rear end flip phone or it just doesn't exist at all.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

We got a face full, didn't we?

Also, "He was eating crab and driving. He'd be spending the night in the cooler if there was anything illegal about what he was doing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I can't believe people beefin' about the koala's Hayley plotline when Jeff getting LOST IN SPACE is the absolute nadir of the show to me. Jeff is a fine character when used sparingly and Roger is great when he's awful, but I never bought that hayley would co-habitate with someone who essentially murdered her husband