Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Decus posted:

ToS doesn't even have animation cancelling anymore as far as I know or at least not to that broken extent--that was only the GC version and was removed for PS2 and thus PS3 and the upcoming PC release. But yes, the startup and stop lag on somes artes decrease as you use them and now for spells there are skills to do the same. So while you're not completely breaking the game with it, it still lets you get into and out of animations faster. And also more reasonably than ToS, which practically required 999 to be of any use there--now most stuff is as good or about as good as it gets at 400 uses in terms of speed.

I was referring to comboing into a spellcasting arte and then blocking to cancel the cast animation to reduce your backswing lag.

...I really view the Tales games as Fighting games more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I was referring to comboing into a spellcasting arte and then blocking to cancel the cast animation to reduce your backswing lag.

...I really view the Tales games as Fighting games more than anything else.

Yeah, that old bug isn't around, but you can just chain anything into anything in Xillia (any move into any move, seriously) as opposed to Symphonia's Normal-Normal-Normal-Level 1 Tech-Level 2 Tech-Level 3 Tech. The only limits are your AC (a mostly meaningless number that will rarely run out because you'll start missing or get hit way before then), your TP, and your skills.

Xillia 2 brings the fun to spellcasters, as well: in that, the Chain Spell skill lets a caster cast faster the more moves they use in a combo, resulting in the highest tier spells being instant chain cast repeatedly while you occasionally order someone to feed you a Pineapple Gel and continue the carnage. It's hilariously busted.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So most of the footage I recorded earlier this week is hosed with some kind of weird FPS issue. I'll try and rerecord today.

In other news that's good for this thread and bad for me, Amazon is saying my copy of Zesteria won't get here until the 26th.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Gamestop hasn't even shipped my copy of Zesteria yet, which means it'll be shipped probably on Tuesday and get to me, if i'm lucky, by the following Monday. The worst part is, I've moved since I placed the order and their online store has no way to change your shipping address.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Trasson posted:

Xillia 2 brings the fun to spellcasters, as well: in that, the Chain Spell skill lets a caster cast faster the more moves they use in a combo, resulting in the highest tier spells being instant chain cast repeatedly while you occasionally order someone to feed you a Pineapple Gel and continue the carnage. It's hilariously busted.

I played Rowan a lot in Xillia simply because they finally gave someone the ability to cancel and resume spells if the situation requires it which makes it much easier to actually complete bigger spells against an A.I. that is out for the player. Although Arte Tuned Wind Blade and Fireball murdered every random encounter in seconds most of the time.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So I'm having some recording issues right now. For some reason I'm recording at an inconsistent framerate, and I'm not sure what problems this might cause. I'll look at dropping back to a previous version of the software later if support doesn't get back with an answer soon.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So uh update I'm going to be mailing my boot disk to Intel for RMA sometime this week. I'm still hoping to get an update posted though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Another progress update, I got things together (more or less) but I'm feeling like crap so I'm not sure if the update will be up tonight or Sunday.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I'm also still working on Milla content, just not had much time to record due to a rather hectic work schedule. I'll actually have three weeks at my recording setup in November so I'm hopeful I'll have time then.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

CH17: DIVE DIVE DIVE HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT!

Skit Video: Wingul's Words

: That was Long Dau, the language of the clan that used to rule Auj Oule.
: Do you speak it?
: Not really, but I can understand it to some degree.
: But what made him abruptly start speaking like that?
: It appeared to be some sort of battlefield transformation. A side effect of his booster, perhaps.
: Does that mean I'll start speaking some weird language too?
: Then you wouldn't be able to talk to anyone!
: Relax, that won't happen! His booster is totally different from Teepo.
: And if you did start speaking some weird language, I would totally learn it so we could still talk.
: Thank you.
: Are you good with languages though?
: Well, that's beside the point.

: There wasn't anything in the way of pursuit on their way back to Xian Du, so I'll skip over the journey.

: Careful. Word of our altercation in the capital may have preceded us.
: How was your audience with the king?
: I'm sorry, we'll have to talk later. Can we depart right away?
: Well, I guess that's possible.
You in some kind of hurry?

: No need to rush off.
: Alvin?!
: They're on a wild-goose chase in the mountains right about now.
: You threw them off our scent? Is this some kind of peace offering?
: What? It's only natural I helped you. We're friends, aren't we?
: ......
: Come on, you don't believe me?
I know you've put your trust in me before.
Would it kill you to give me another shot?
: I-I guess not.
: Attaboy.
: Welcome back. I'm glad that you're safe.
: Heh heh, thanks. You almost sound sincere.
: If nothing else, it seems that Alvin has bought us some time.
: I'd ask what's going on, but I don't think I want to know.
You people sure have a lot of drama in your lives.
I'll be in front of the wyverns. Come see me when you're ready to fly.
: It's finally time.
: We'll saddle up as soon as we're ready.
: Right.
NATURALLY it's sidequest time.

: Still having doubts about me, huh?
And it looks like you're not the only one.
Fine, fine.
Remember the first time the three of us went to Nia Khera, and I went off by myself?
: The time that I came out of my shrine and Jude was the only one there?
: That's the one. I was off meeting with Wingul.
: So you had a secret arrangement with them? To hand Milla over if she became a problem?
: How could you?! Stabbing Milla and Jude in the back like that.
: Hold it.
Yeah, I was working a few different angles back then, but this time I was just using that to our advantage.
You know, the only reason we were given permission to use the wyverns is because I arranged that with them ahead of time.
: Wait... So, when you betrayed us in front of Gaius...
: Yep. If I hadn't pretended to betray you there, they never would have let us ride the wyverns.
That's why I lied and told them you ran in the opposite direction of Xian Du.
: I want to believe you. But I can't. Not yet.
: That reminds me. That Presa woman we met at Kijara Seafalls. It seemed like you already knew her.
: What do you want to know?
: Who is she, really?
: How can we trust you if you keep hiding information from us?!
: Hey, all right, calm down. No need to get snappy.
: Do you even know what you're putting us through?
: I met her when I was working for Rashugal's intelligence service.
At the time, she was an Auj Oule secret agent working undercover in Fennmont.
: And?
: After that we became more personally involved. You probably don't want to know the specifics.
: Okay, I believe you. But I still don't trust you.
: Heh. You're so cute when you're upset.
: Stop that! I'm still angry at you!
: All right, all right.
: Alvin, can I ask you one last thing?
: Of course.
: Tell us why you're helping us. What's in it for you?
: You're asking that now?
Because I love the hell out of you guys, of course!
: More lies!
: How could you even think that? I'm hurt!

Skit Video: (The Oddly Popular Karla)

: Yeah, I did.
: Well your acquaintances are my acquaintances. Hook a girl up!
: Here she goes... Fine, fine. Let's head to Xian Du.
You can guess what sidequest this is a reminder for.

Skit Video: (Come on, It's Time for Bed)

This tells you to go to the inn, and Alvin's scene outside below continues the sidequest about the Rats from before.

Skit Video: (Wither Hamil)

: Are you okay? You look pale.
: I'm fine. I just keep thinking about Hamil.

Really wish I'd been able to get this out before Zestiria came out so people could get the reference.

: That cargo looks pretty heavy.
Peddler: They're all books, and yes, they really are. Who knew paper could be so heavy?
But if you buy some from me, it would really help to lighten my load!
: What kind of books are they?
Peddler: Oh, I've got all sorts of rare finds.
Like this first edition of "The Chronicles of Kresnik"! This baby would fetch five million gald at auction, easy.
Next, we have the fabled book of battle tactics from the legendary Ilbert the Conductor, titled "The Complete Tactician".
Not only that, it's a limited edition that contains a supplemental volume of the Conductor's poetry, titled "Mad Screams of Love".
: The Conductor's poetry?!
: "Mad Screams of Love"?
: H-How did that get on the market?!
: You've got yourself a sale.
Peddler: Thank you very much!
: W-Wait!
Surely all of us have done foolish things in our youths that we'd be embarrassed to confront today!
Aren't we, as adults, supposed to turn a blind eye to such things in order to spare others from their shame?
: I've never seen Rowen like this.
I'm ashamed to say it, but that only makes me want to read it all the more.
I guess that makes me a child still.
: The only shame here would be abandoning that healthy, youthful curiosity in an attempt to seem more grown-up than you are.
Real men have to hold onto their childlike curiosity for as long as they can.
Which is why I'm going to indulge mine with this special-edition copy of Rowen's masterwork.
: Sounds good to me!
: H-How cruel!
Peddler: Oh no, I'm so sorry! This book has already been sold to another buyer.
Someone in Sharilton who already paid in full.
: Oh my... That was a close one!
: Aww. You've broken my heart.
Peddler: I am so sorry! Perhaps I could offer you a free copy of this book by way of an apology?
It's an equally rare treasure itself! Enjoy!
: What is this?
: It looks to be a Long Dau dictionary from the great clan of Auj Oule.
It's the same language that Wingul used after his booster-induced transformation.
: Oh, that was Long Dau?
: Sounds like that bookseller was pulling one over on us. If they're a great clan, why would a dictionary of their language be rare?
: Actually, she may not have been exaggerating much at all. You see, the Long Dau tribe operated under a dual-caste system of governance.
The upper and lower castes were divided not only by political power, but by cultural differences as well.
Even among the upper caste, only a few high nobles were permitted to speak the clan language.
: It was a privilege reserved for the elite.
: That makes no sense at all.
: Well, there's more than one reason Gaius was able to seize power. Long Dau was full of people huffing their own farts.
: So "hello" is "ana'lui". "Please forgive me" is "hidig'nun".
Ugh, linguistics just isn't my subject.
: I studied Long Dau during my time in the military, but just barely enough for light conversation.
: So what was Wingul saying?
: I wish I knew. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing if I even heard what he said correctly.
: It does seem pretty difficult.
: Well, maybe we can help jog your memory?
Jude, how would you say "Mad Screams of Love" in Long Dau?
: Oh dear. And I was so sure I had successfully changed the subject.
: Let's see. Mad, mad...
: You needn't actually look it up!

: Hi, I'm Karla Outway.
: I'm Leia. Leia Rolando.
: Hey, I recognize you. I've seen you here in the city before, haven't I?
: Name's Alvin.
I do get around. It's possible you've seen me before.
What about yourself? You must be from out of town if you're staying at the inn.
: That's right, I'm from Kanbalar. I haven't been home in a long time, though.
: Oh, we've been there. Not the most pleasant of trips.
: I'm sorry to hear that.
Were you able to meet with King Gaius?
: We did. He's a stern man, but clearly very dedicated to his people. In a way, he was kind of amazing.
: Kind of amazing, yeah, but super scary! Why can't he just be nice to people?
: King Gaius didn't always used to be that way.
Do you know about the Battle of Fezebel?
: Um... Well...
: It was a battle fought on the Fezebel Outback twenty years ago between Rashugal and Auj Oule.
The battle only ended due to a giant tsunami. No one's sure why it appeared when it did.
It ended up causing dramatic changes to the region's spirit clime.
That's how it became Fezebel Marsh with all its twisted marsh flows.
: Oh, right, right! That Battle of Fezebel! Yup, it's all coming back to me.
: Wow, you actually remember? I'm kind of shocked.
: Hmph.
: You don't need to be embarrassed if you don't know. It's never too late to learn!
: Oh Karla, you're so nice! You could learn a lot from her, Jude.
: Uh-huh.
: During that battle, Gaius led a battalion of Long Dau soldiers, even though he was a member of a different tribe himself.
At just twenty years old, he led his troops to victory against an entire regiment of the Rashugal army.
He was also the first to sense the oncoming arrival of the giant tsunami.
He advised the Long Dau chief to retreat, but the chief couldn't bring himself to give the order.
The tsunami ended up swallowing both armies and wiped out Gaius' entire battalion.
: So that's how he became the ornery fellow we all know and love.
Gotta hand it to him, though. It is true that most folk want a strong leader to guide them. And he's certainly won the trust of his people.
: Gosh, Karla, you really do know all about history!
: Well, at least when it comes to King Gaius.
: Is there a reason for that?
: There just might be. See you later, everyone!
: What do you think she meant by that?
: I wonder.

Skit Video: (A Question for Karla)

: You make it sound so illicit.
: And poor sweet Jude's left out in the cold.
: Come on! You know that's not why I'm looking for Karla!
: Bet she's waiting in Xian Du.
: You think I don't know that?

: Karla, if you don't mind us asking, what's your relation to King Gaius?
: Now I sure wasn't expecting that.
: Come on. I bet it's a great story!
: I appreciate your interest, but I get the sense that Jude isn't asking out of idle curiosity.

: Around the time of the Battle of Fezebel, I was betrothed to a man from the Long Dau tribe.
It was an arranged marriage, but nevertheless, we fell in love with each other at first sight.
Naturally, my betrothed had to go to war with the rest of his tribe. But he never came back.
: Because of the tsunami?
: No.
: It wasn't Gaius, was it?
: My betrothed was one of the Long Dau chief's aides.
He wanted to make a name for himself before we got married. He must have thought that's what I wanted.
So when Gaius told the Long Dau chief about the incoming tsunami...
My betrothed told the chief that Gaius was out of his mind, and swore that a retreat wouldn't be necessary.
: And Gaius went after him for that?
: The few people who survived the tsunami said that my betrothed was still alive after it had passed.
And that Gaius was with him.
: I can't believe it.
: All I know for sure is that he never came back. They never even found his body.
I don't know for sure if Gaius did something to him.
When I asked the king about it, he refused to answer.
After the battle, my father died from an illness, and I never saw my brother Erston again.
I've been alone ever since.
: After all that, you'd be nuts not to hate the guy.
: Come on, Alvin.
: And I bet your hatred for King Gaius is pretty much the only thing keeping you going at this point.
: You may be right about that.
: I'm sorry.
: Now, it's time for me to leave Xian Du for a while.
: Where are you going?
: Somewhere in Auj Oule. See you all around.

: Reports of Hamil getting wrecked were not exaggerated. The buildings weren't badly damaged, but the place was eerily empty.

: Everyone's gone.
: Now I'm wondering what kind of elemental power could kill everyone while leaving the buildings mostly intact. I'd guess Darkness or Ice. Unless there are Great Spirits that aren't elemental.
: And now more of my memories are gone with them.
: But they weren't very good memories, were they?
: No, but they're still better than having nothing at all.
: Hey, come on. The fruit trees are still here, the mountains are still here...
: I don't have memories of fruit!
: I do! I remember having fruit curry for dinner once a week!
: Oh yeah. The mayor always put napples in it. It was her favorite thing to make.
Although, it was a little too sweet for me.
: Hey, wait a minute. Teepo can talk about things that Elize isn't even consciously aware of?
: I guess so?
: Then maybe, Teepo can help you remember the things you've forgotten.
Didn't you say Xian Du looked familiar?
If we use Teepo there, maybe you can remember something.
: That's very perceptive.
: If this works, Elize may even be able to learn something about her parents.
: That would be great!
: That's a really smart idea! Especially coming from you, Leia!
: Why thank-- Hey!
: Well, it's good to see Elize excited again. Well done.
: In Leia's case, I think that was probably half inspiration and half blind luck.

Villager: I can't believe it. Everyone and everything I've ever known is in ruin.
: Please don't give up. There's still hope.
There could be other survivors! Do you have any idea where they'd flee to?
Villager: The only place I can think of is Aladhi Seahaven.
I beg of you, could you go and see if any of the other villagers made it there?
: Of course. I'll go see if anyone from Hamil fled to Aladhi Seahaven.
Villager: Please, I can't survive out here all by myself...

: So they really are all dead.

: Teepo isn't a weird thing. He's Teepo!
Loren: Please excuse my daughter's manners. I'm Loren, a former merchant.
: Former?
Loren: I'm afraid so. My business failed in Fennmont, and we couldn't afford to stay in the city any longer.
We just arrived here in Auj Oule, hoping to make a new start in a new land.
: Then you should go check out Hamil! Everyone's gone, so the town's in trouble.
Loren: What do you mean?
: Well, uh...
Loren: I see. You know, I think it may have been fate that brought us together today.
We'll try our luck in Hamil.
: Are you sure?
Loren: To be honest, no. But as long as my family and I are together, we'll be okay.
And besides, my wife's always saying that I'm too passive, and I need to start taking life by the horns.
Lorelana: But Mommy always says she loves how easygoing you are, Daddy!
Lana: Lorelana, hush!
: You guys are the weird ones!
: But they seem like good people.
Loren: Ha ha. Here, this is to thank you for your help.
May we all meet again someday!

So this is part of a series of quests to repopulate Hamil.

Loren: Well, if it isn't the fine folk who told us about this village! It's good to see you again.
This is such a beautiful place!
We all liked it so much that we decided to live here.
Villager: And it's so nice to have neighbors again.
Loren was kind enough to make graves for everyone who was killed.
I don't know if I could have done that alone.
Loren: Like our new friend here, our family doesn't have anywhere else to go. But together, we can rebuild this village.
: Please let us know if there's any way we can help.
Loren: Well, since you offered, could we ask you to find us a cow?
System: Accept the request? Yes
: (I think we saw some cows in Nia Khera.)
Sure. And I think I know where I might be able to find one. I'll look into it.
Loren: That would be great. If we had cow's milk, we could make all sorts of things.

Young Herder: If I can be of some use to Lord Maxwell and her companions, I'm more than happy to do it.
I'll pick a real lively one for you and have it sent over to Hamil.

Lana: It's not much, but we want you to have this as a token of our appreciation.
Lorelana: Mommy made cheese stew out of the cow's milk! It's yummy!
: Wah-ooh! That does sound yummy!
Loren: ......
: Are you okay, Loren?
Loren: Oh yes. There's just one thing I'd like your help with.
Loren: We started growing dodurians recently, hoping that they could be Hamil's next major crop, like poranges and napples.
The fruit is delectable, but the husk is like cast iron.
No one wants to buy a fruit that they can't get open!
: Dodurians, huh? I think my dad used to make a dessert out of those.
But I don't remember him having any trouble getting the husks open.
Loren: Really?! If you can find out how he got the husks open, please let me know!
: I'm sure if we ask my dad in Leronde, he can tell us what to do.

: They're really good, but not many people grow them because of their husks.
But they're easy to peel off once you freeze them solid with an ice arte.
Best of all, the ice turns the fruit inside into sorbet, making for a perfect dessert!

: We found an easy way to peel off dodurian husks!
: All you have to do is freeze the fruit with an ice arte.
: And it turns into sorbet!
Loren: That's brilliant!
And freezing them would make them easier to ship and sell throughout the world.
I'm going to hire some people and start growing more right away!
: Right on! That's a great idea!
Villager: I can't tell you how grateful I am.
Thanks to you and Loren's family, my hometown will be saved.
: It was our pleasure!
: It feels good to help out the village.

Thanks to our efforts, Hamil is now repopulated.

: When you ask it like that...
: It's way too much pressure!
: Don't feel like you need to force it, Elize.
Hey, didn't Wingul use a booster too?
Maybe he has some connection to Teepo.
: That's possible, although his booster seems to be a different type. Do you know anything about him, Elize?
: Only that Wingul scares me.
: Wait a minute! I think I know him.
: You do?
: I've got it! Wingul was in the laboratory!
: He was? I don't remember him being there.
: He used to be waaaaaaaay thinner.
He was the guy who was always in pain from the prototype's side effects or something.
: You mean... Test Subject No. 1?
: Sounds like we're getting somewhere.
: Wingul must have volunteered to be a booster test subject.
: The people at the laboratory said they could've never made Teepo without him.
: Could that mean that Wingul is--
: My father?!
: Wingul said that the experiments had been humane, but can we really trust him?
: If nothing else, at least we know the experiments had a purpose beyond mere cruelty.

Skit Video: (Welcome to the Leronde Lodge)

: Yeah. Leia's dad is probably the best cook in town.
: If you like, you can come try it for yourself. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
: I'm certainly interested.

: How Jude found time to stop by Leronde before riding the Wyverns I have no idea.

: Mmm, this looks delicious.
: Leia's dad makes the best mabo curry anywhere.
: You always did love Dad's mabo curry, huh?
: That doesn't mean I could eat it every day though.
: What do you mean?
: Leia would always bring mabo curry over after a fight.
: Ah, so it was an excuse to make up.
: Yeah. My parents were always busy and didn't have much time to cook, so it really helped us out.
And because Leia and I used to fight all the time...
: You ended up having mabo curry every day.
Didn't you think to bring over anything else?
: Sure, but mabo curry is special because it's two kinds of food in one.
Just like two good friends getting along!
: So it was an edible symbol of friendship.
: And it kind of worked. From then on, I did my best not to let Leia get me angry.
That way I wouldn't have to eat mabo curry every night.
: Hey! That makes it sound like it was always my fault we fought!
: It wasn't always your fault. I'd say around 80%?
: Now, now. You two settle down.
: Enjoy some mabo curry together!

Skit Video: (A Family Affair)
This skit is a little weird since it won't show up if you see the scene a while back between Jude's dad and Alvin.

: What are you talking about?
: Your fight with your dad. You shouldn't just leave it like that.
: It wasn't really a fight.
: Hmm... They say the longer people avoid reconciling, the more difficult it becomes.
: You too?

: Jude's relationship with his father was... complicated. Mmm, daddy issues.

: .......
: Is something wrong? Aren't you going to go inside?
: Looks like somebody's lost his nerve.
: It's not any easier with you staring.
Kid: Jude! You're here!
: Hey! What did I tell you about yelling here?
Kid: But they told me to run and get the doc!
They meant Dr. Mathis, but you're a doctor too! You can handle it, right?
: Handle what, exactly?
Kid: Come on, hurry up!
: Maybe we should go see what happened.

: Jude.
: What happened?
: Our patient was just brought here. They said she abruptly collapsed.
She's in serious condition, but we'll have to wait for your father to examine her.
: Is he on a house call?
: Yes, at the edge of town. It'll be a while before he gets back.
: I... I'll take a look.
I think her mana lobe is hardening. She'll die if we don't do something.
: Then what are we waiting for?!
: There's too many possible causes for it.
She needs to be examined at a real hospital.

: Dad?!
: Her mana lobe is hardening from anomalous spirit activity. Ellen, get me the mustar and the miquas.
: Right away!
: But Dad, if it turns out not to be a spirit anomaly, that medicine would only make it worse!
: Help me or get out of the way.

: The patient is regaining consciousness. She should be fine now.
: Thank goodness.
: Your judgment was flawless.
: That's my job.
: But if you had made the wrong diagnosis, she wouldn't have survived.
: Of course. I take full responsibility for my decisions.
: Because that's what a doctor has to do?
: No. Because it's what an adult has to do.

: Jude couldn't keep her sidetracked for too long.

: You can't possibly land right in Rashugal's capital.
You'll probably have to touch down on a highroad nearby or find some other suitable spot.

Screaming intensifies.

: Eeek! Stop this wyvern! I wanna get off!

: Help! I think I'm gonna barf!
: Teepo! Shut it!
: Are we there yet?
: No, not yet.
: Huh?
: Urgh!

: It's amazing.
: It's so pretty.
: Wow...
: It's sparkly!

: Wh-What the hell is that?!
: It's so huge!
: Urgh!
: It's right on our six!
: Everyone, dive!

: Watch out!
: Huh?!

: Alvin, are you okay?
: No time to chat now, kid!

I'm disappointed in this boss after that cutscene.

His reach is pretty good, he can attack a very large area.

Splendid Laser.

Elize's Ignite Terror is the same thing but better looking.

Gotta hate on that drat wing spin.

In Vesperia and Xillia 2 the tail would be a weak spot, but not here. I feel like an idiot in retrospect for not swapping Leia for Rowen.

Unlike a boar you can totally block its rush.

Tail Hurricane launches tornadoes with its tail.

At low hp it pulls out the fire spit it used in the cutscene. I bet you all were wondering where that was. It's called Carpet Bombing

I don't think I did particularly well there but that wasn't a very good boss either IMO. Elize only got 1 level from that :mad:

: Please, no one panic! Women and children, seek shelter in your homes!

: Elly? What are you doing here?
: I'm home.
: Young madam.
: Rowen?
Everyone's back?
: Good to see you again.
: Umm, nice to meet you. I'm Leia.
: Uh, hi.
: I'm sorry to alarm you.
: I heard all the commotion. I thought Auj Oule was invading.

: Seemed like no big whup at the time, but now, it's really hitting me.
: Help us carry him.

Trainer: My lady, I'm just a horse trainer.
: Which makes you the most qualified to help.
Trainer: ......
: Young madam, please forgive me for the heavy burden I placed upon you when I left Sharilton.
Woman: Isn't that Ilbert-- the former chief of staff? He was a tactician for the Rashugal army, you know.
Man: Really? And he's on our side? That's great!
: All these rumors of war have everyone on edge lately.
Let's head back to the manor before we cause any more commotion.

: You all should rest here in the city while you can.
: That may be for the best. We're on the eve of a great battle, after all.
Everyone should get as much rest as they can.
: What's wrong? You look as if I just spoke Long Dau.
: Ho ho ho. Milla is making perfect sense. We have had little rest since our departure from Leronde.
: And you could use some time to gather your thoughts.
: As you say.

I was going to have the talks here, but this update is already long enough.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
By the way, that poetry book of Rowen's that was bought by someone in Sharilton? The buyer is EXACTLY who you think it is. :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

wdarkk posted:

CH17: DIVE DIVE DIVE HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT!
Most memorable line of that game :allears:

The only way it could be better is if dragon-thing rammed the gryphon as it came out of the clouds.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Random Notes Time:

Despite the implication, Long Dau weren't the Kings of Auj Oule, that belonged to the Sarakhs Clan.

Gaius was actually 12 at Fezebel, the 20 is a translation mistake.

One of the NPCs after the boss fight says that military activity near Fort Gandala has the nearby Pterobranc nests riled up.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 3, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

McTimmy posted:

Gaius was actually 12 at Fezebel, the 20 is a translation mistake.

It might be an intentional change to make the story sound more plausible, but I guess that would probably introduce inconsistencies into his history anyway.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Most memorable line of that game :allears:

The only way it could be better is if dragon-thing rammed the gryphon as it came out of the clouds.

Yeah. I was originally going to do some other title I've forgotten but then I realized I could do so much better.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, they've got a dragon on interdiction. Air power is enough of a threat in this setting to do that?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

CH17B: Setting Out Again

: Jude talked with his friends to get their feelings on the matter, and to kill time until the Wyvern was good to go.

: Maybe this is none of my business, but how did you get mixed up with him?
: We first met when Nachtigal joined the army as an officer. He wanted to serve, despite his royal birth.
He and I were assigned to the same division. We fought in many battles together. We earned promotions and glory. That sort of thing builds a bond between men.
We were truly brothers in arms. It was a glorious time for both of us.
However, Nachtigal's growing influence began to threaten the power of his two elder brothers.
The older princes ostracized Nachtigal even as they feared him.
: I know what happened next: the Sleepless Night we all learned about in history class.
That brief civil war erupted when the late king passed away before naming a successor.
The Six Ruling Houses and the lesser nobles split into two factions.
It was the biggest political upheaval in modern Rashugal history.
And it lasted until Nachtigal slew his two older brothers with the help of the military. He was a war hero, after all.
For two days, the people rallied behind Nachtigal and his new regime.
: Nachtigal may have won the struggle, but he lost something dear to him.
He lost his only ally in the royal family, his beloved sister Princess Carrie.
It hit Nachtigal hard. He was overcome with grief.
: They didn't teach us that part.
: He expanded his totalitarian control once he became king, and there was no one left to check his power.
: Not even you?
: Many pinned their hopes on me to act as a moderating influence on the king. I chose to leave the army instead.
It has been a difficult decision to live with.
: You shouldn't blame yourself.
It's not even really Nachtigal's fault. His brothers caused all this.
: I agree, which is precisely why I failed to recognize when Nachtigal began to stray from the just path.
We turned our eyes away from our duty. He and I both.
Despite knowing that doing so would cause many of our people to suffer.
In contrast, the King of Auj Oule has never wavered from doing what must be done.
: You may be right.
Despite both being kings, Nachtigal and Gaius definitely left different impressions on me.
: The people no doubt see King Gaius as a superb ruler.
: He kind of reminded me of Milla, to be honest.
: An astute observation. They do share two things in common.
The will to do what must be done, and the conviction to do it for the sake of others.
: It sounds like they go hand-in-hand.
: Yes, I believe all truly strong people possess those two virtues.
But Nachtigal's convictions became warped.
And I lacked the will to stop him.
: If... And I'm not saying you will...
But if you decide not to fight Nachtigal, I wouldn't blame you.
: Thank you.
Would you mind leaving me with my thoughts? I will make my decision before it is time for us to leave.

: Teepo won't call me Elly like he used to.
: Wah-hey, Elize. You seem glum.
: Well, how about finding other people who can get close enough to call you Elly?
: You mean get closer to you and Milla?
: Yeah. Teepo should, too.
: Really?
: Hey, it's not like I have lots of friends or anything.
But I have enough to know they're pretty priceless. And the best part of friendship is sharing new experiences together.
: Jude sure is a smarty-pants!
: Hahaha.
Well, I am an honors student. I just think it'd be nice if we all got to know each other better. Don't you think so?
: Yes!
: Yep!

: Don't creep up on a girl like that!
: You okay? You look down in the dumps.
You shouldn't push yourself so much. You weren't the healthiest kid, you know.
: Do you have to keep reminding me? It's been ages since I've been sick.
: I know, but I still can't help but worry.
: I still appreciate it.
But I'm worried, too.
: About what?
: That do-gooder nature of yours. In case you've forgotten, it's what got us into this mess.
: Maybe you shouldn't have come in the first place.
: I'm here for my own reasons, thank you.
: Like what?
: Those spyrixes are trouble. I want to destroy them.
: Because Milla said so?
: That's part of it, but I've actually seen one before.
: Seriously?
: It was a really long time ago. I know how terrifying those things are.
Why are you trying to destroy the spyrixes and the Lance of Kresnik?
Because Milla said so?
: N-No. That's not why. If you need a reason...
: You don't have one?
: I-I do. I'd just rather keep it to myself.
: All right.
You know, destroying the Lance of Kresnik is the last thing on our to-do list.
: What are your plans afterward? Will you head back to Fennmont and finish becoming a doctor?
Or, will you come home to Leronde?
: I haven't had a chance to decide yet. One thing at a time.
We just need to finish what we've started.
: Yeah.
: You're right. Let's finish this job together!
: You got it.
(I wonder what Milla's going to do when this is all over?)

: Don't worry about it. It was my slip up.
: Yeah, but still...
Woman: You having problems casting spirit artes lately? I've failed like a million times by now.
Old Woman: You too? It's like the spirits aren't even there to help us anymore.
: Just like back at Fennmont. I bet this is the Lance of Kresnik's influence.
: Hey, this guy's saying the spirits are disappearing, and it's the King of Rashugal's fault!

Woman: Honestly! Do you get a kick out of spreading tall tales?
: They don't believe me.
: Of course not. You can't just tell them something like that out of the blue.
: I guess I'm just a shady guy. The townspeople don't trust me, and neither do you.
: Hey, that's not true.
: Oh? I save your life and suddenly you trust me again?
: You're still a big fat liar.
But a trusting one. Throughout this whole trip, you've never doubted a thing I told you.
Even when I said the spirits had disappeared, you believed me on the spot.
: Because it's the truth. When someone uses a spyrix, spirits die. It's cause and effect.
: What are trying to say?
: It's no skin off my nose if spirits wink out of existence, but it's another story if the result is we humans suffer.
: But spirits are living things, too.
: Listen to you. You're sounding more and more like the great Maxwell every day.
: That wasn't the point. Don't make fun of me.
: I'm not trying to.
I just mean you've finally started talking like a bona fide grown-up.
Like Millla, huh. I wonder if I can protect humans and spirits too.
Thanks.
: Hmph, times like this I miss being a kid. Life was so simple.

: It seems like forever ago that you were injured.
: Have you figured out your mission? What you must do?
: I...
I just want to help you out.
: I see.
: But that's not all! I want to protect the spirits as well.
You go to such lengths to protect humans, so it's only fair that I become strong enough to protect spirits, too.
: You will strive to be our protector.
A bold statement.
Maybe I've been wrong about humans after all.
: Hm?
: I never imagined one of you wanting to protect our kind, let alone making it his mission.
I'm almost speechless. I've never felt this happy.
Now I really must destroy the Lance of Kresnik. For all our sakes.
: That reminds me... What are you planning on doing after you've destroyed the Lance?
: Destroying the Lance and the spyrix devices is merely one facet of my mission here.
My whole reason for existing hasn't changed.
: So you'll return to Nia Khera and live the way you did before?
: Most likely.
: B-But with Exodus around, won't your life still be in danger?
: Hmm. Also likely.
: What you need is a bodyguard, someone to watch your back.
: Are you offering to stay with me?
Is that possible?
: If that's what you decide to do, then you should do it.
I'll need to create some story to keep you by my side.
Thank you.
: It's the least I can do. You're the reason I am standing here right now, preparing to fulfill my mission.
I'm the one who should be thanking you.
: Huh? Oh, no, you don't have to do that.
We haven't even gotten to the real fight yet.
: Heh, good point.
: Oh, just the pair I was looking for. Your wyverns have fully recovered.
: Let's return to the plaza.
: Okay.

: He hasn't shown up yet.
: He's probably figuring out his next lie.
: That's not true.
: What does everyone else think of Alvin? Would you feel safe going into battle with him?
: He's just trying to help out his mom, right? I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.
: I worry he himself will be unable to deal with that way of life much longer.
: Don't forget, Alvin was the one who saved me from the bad guys.
: What do you think?
: We'll need to keep up our guard around him until he reveals his hand. He remains trustworthy in battle, at least.
: Now, now, it's not polite to talk about someone behind his back.
: I don't care.
: What can I say? You guys are my only allies.
: That makes everyone. Let's be off.
: Please wait!
: Rowen, are you really going to fight with your old buddy?
: It is my fault that Nachtigal became the man he is.
I am prepared to fight him when the time comes.
: You have our support.
: Don't worry. I'll be right behind you!
: I've got your back, too!
: Thank you, everyone.
: Don't worry. I'll pick up your dentures if you drop 'em, grandpa.
: Please do.
: What, no pithy retort?
: I guess that means we're all ready.
: Let's make our final preparations before setting off.

Alternate Milla Conversations posted:

Thanks Feinne again.
: Come to pick my brain?
: You still can't bring yourself to fight against Nachtigal.
: I know he must be stopped. I know I must help stop him.
I know these things as facts, and yet...
: Are you concerned about what would happen afterward?
: Yes. Things will get complicated.
Do you have any idea what a coup could mean for Rashugal?
: Best-case scenario: mass confusion and chaos. In the worst-case scenario, the nation itself will dissolve.
: If we reach that tipping point, I'm not so sure I could stem the tide.
: Somehow I doubt you've spent all these years letting your talents go dull.
: Sometimes, experience is a hindrance rather than a help. I see all possible outcomes with such painful clarity that I'm unable to act.
: Only you can decide what to do about that.
: I see you have a lot of faith in me.
: And why not? I'm quite fond of you.
: To think the Lord of Spirits would say such words to me. I am not worthy.
: Is that sarcasm?
: No. It's just that at times you treat us the way a master might coddle a beloved pet.
: I do?
: Yes. So please, just think of this as the foolish pride of a lowly human.
: Hehehe, you certainly are an adorable human.
: Anyway, returning to the topic at hand.
Might I ask you to look after the others once this battle is over?
They are all so young. I know Miss Elize and Miss Leia have bright futures awaiting them.
Alvin concerns me, however. He is far less mature than he believes.
Jude, on the other hand, he is so taken by you that he is desperately trying to become an adult as quickly as possible.
Please, watch over them all.
: Are you planning on dying along with Nachtigal?
: Certainly not. But I need to be prepared for such an outcome.
: Very well. You have my word.

: You seem in better spirits.
: Our buddy Jude cheered us up!
: Of course he did. It's what he does.
: Milla, um...
: Teepo, is Elize trying to tell me something?
: Yep. But I think she'll say it on her own.
: Oh. Very well, then. I'll wait.
: Let's do our best.
Let's do our best to destroy the Lance of Kresnik!

Wh-What are you doing?
: I'm not sure. You're just so cute, I feel an irrational need to pinch your cheeks.
:Please stop.
: Hehehe.

: Why so forlorn?
: Forlorn? You mean sad? N-No, I'm-- I'm fine.
: If you say so.
: Hey, what's Fennmont like?
I've never been out of Leronde before, so I'm kinda curious, you know?
: A lot of people live there, but no one really seems to know one another.
I actually prefer places like your hometown, where everyone is... What's the phrase? Right neighborly?
: Huh. I guess that's just how cities are.
: Perhaps.
Actually, something's been bothering me. May I ask you a question?
: Sure! Ask away.
: Do you have some experience with spyrix technology?
: Wh-Why do you ask?
: I saw the surprised look on your face when you first heard the word spyrix. It was a different expression than what I'm used to seeing.
: You're perceptive.
You see, I was a really sickly kid. I spent a lot of time getting treated for my illness.
It all started when I was hurt in an accident.
And that accident was caused by a spyrix.
: Was it Exodus' doing?
: I don't really remember.
Maybe the accident caused a bit of amnesia, or maybe I was just too little.
Still, someone said that a spyrix explosion caused the accident. That much I remember, at least.
: I see.
Are you all better now?
: Oh, yeah. Fit as a fiddle!
But it was a long road to get here. I almost gave up on my treatment a few times.
I felt hopeless, like I'd never get better no matter what the doctors tried.
I started to believe there was nothing anyone could do for me anymore.
But every time I felt hopeless, Jude would try to cheer me up.
: So that's why you're here.
: Right. Now it's my turn to help Jude out.
: "I'd hate it if Jude got hurt." "I'd hate it if Jude couldn't become a doctor."
It appears that Jude is your primary motivation.
: Hey! Don't read those aloud! Put that away!
And don't you dare tell Jude about any of this! It's embarrassing!
: Embarrassing? Why? I think Jude would be happy to hear this.
You humans are so confusing sometimes. Hehe.
: Whatever. Just promise you won't tell him!
: Very well. I promise.
: Funny thing, though... At a certain point, I realized that my reasons were all for myself.
I wonder why I really came along.
I mean, I'm just extra baggage for you guys. Even Elize carries her weight around here.
: You're doing your best, aren't you? You have nothing to be ashamed of.
Whether you succeed or not isn't the important thing. It's whether you try.
: Now you sound like Jude, trying to cheer me up. But you have to admit, success sure beats failure.
: I suppose I can't deny that.
But I do think what matters most is having the will and the heart to do what must be done.
: You think so?
: Absolutely. That's what I believe, at least.
: Huh. For some reason, when you say it, I can't help but feel it's true.
Well, nothing to do but my best, right?

: What are you doing out here? Shouldn't you be recovering from your injury?
: Maybe I'm just plotting the best way to betray you again.
: Hmph. At this point, I can't tell if you're joking.
: Ooh, ouch. That's a low blow.
: Drop the phony indignation.
Tell me, what are your true intentions?
: We went over this already. I want to take care of my mother.
: And I believed you at first. Now, not so much.
: Why?
: You haven't severed all ties with Exodus.
And yet you've never attempted to assassinate me like the other Exodus agents.
: Maybe the opportunity never presented itself. Maybe I'm plotting your hit right now.
: That's it? You're not even gonna get mad or anything?
: Being murdered would be unfortunate.
I wouldn't be able to protect this world anymore.
: Unfortunate, indeed.
Then get out of my face and you won't have to worry about me killing you.
Alvin draws a gun on Milla as she walks away, but she doesn't react.
: You truly are Maxwell, through and through.

Since it's been a while, let's check in real quick on Artes we haven't looked in on. Or maybe that I forgot we have looked at. Whichever.

Sigil Spear creates a channeling circle in front of Milla, which fires spears of energy through the enemy.

Whirling Assault is a series of fast slashes directly in front.

Rabid Lunge is a, well, lunge attack that's Earth elemental. I just realized I failed to record Cyclone Strike. Gotta get that next time.

Teepo Spray fires a blast from Teepo's mouth in a line forward.

Teepo Quake causes Teepo to burrow through the ground and pop up under a dude, doing Earth damage.

Teepo Roar emits a cone attack in the form of a giant Teepo.

You can Link it with Milla to create the Teepo Invoked linked arte, a channeling circle...

That fires a really big Teepo.

Teepo Squash makes Teepo get big and stomp on a dude.

I don't always talk about skills (mostly because I don't think about them much), but I'll go over Morale Support. Elize's spells are more effective when Teepo is "On" and less effective when Teepo is "Off" whereas the reverse is true for her non-spell attacks. Since I'm using Elize for her spells, like most right-thinking people, I use this skill to prevent the AI from being dumb. Wizard 2 up there provides a FORTY PERCENT bonus to casting speed, while Wizard will provide a 50% bonus to effectiveness. Yikes. And yes, I remember to set Wizard 2 after this.

Talon Storm is a lot like Whirling Assault, but with kicks and punches instead of sword swings.

Dragon Shot is a sweet uppercut.

Recovery Ring lets jude cure ailments, and the description indicates that it's a medical spell that he learned in school. Too bad it isn't as good as Elize's, which hits the whole party AND makes you immune to ailments for a while.

Swallow Dance is an old Tales staple-ish arte, unleashing a series of kicks.

Punishing Shot knocks a dude into the air with the sword...

...then blasts him with the gun.

Terra rupture splits the ground with the sword, then it erupts with jagged shards to deal Earth damage.

Tornado Drive does a spinning uppercut with a sword.

Air Pressure, despite its name, is IIRC an Earth spell. I think you get extra damage by pressing the circle button.

Meteoric Waltz has Rowen throw five orbs, which hit the ground...

...and erupt for Earth damage.

Shimmering Toll deals Light elemental damage, you can rotate the stick to increase the number of hits.

Blue Sphere can be enlarged by tapping the x button.

As you might guess, it does Water damage.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 4, 2016

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

wdarkk posted:

: Nachtigal may have won the struggle, but he lost something dear to him.
He lost his only ally in the royal family, his beloved sister Princess Carrie.
It hit Nachtigal hard. He was overcome with grief.
: They didn't teach us that part.
He expanded his totalitarian control once he became king, and there was no one left to check his power.
: Not even you?

You look to have some misplaced portraits here. I'm guessing that first Jude pic is supposed to be Rowen's, and there should probably be another Rowen pic before that one line between Jude's second and third portraits. I think. It's been a while since I've played Xillia 1.

quote:

Sigil Spear creates a channeling circle in front of Milla, which fires spears of energy through the enemy.

I think I've mentioned it before, but I freaking LOVE Sigil Spear. The attack literally fires so fast that you can run out of CC, have it regen back to max, and resume spamming Sigil Spear without breaking the combo. It is a move sexier than Milla herself. I have a 472-hit combo on my record thanks to that move, and the only reason I didn't go to the (assumed) cap of 999 hits like I did in Graces is because I didn't need to (the highest you need for titles is 200 hits, I believe).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Fixed. And I never really gave Sigil Spear much thought, so that's good to know. I kind of ignored most of the non-elemental Artes because Graces had trained me to go after weaknesses obsessively.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sorry for the delay in updating, I'm feeling bad again.

Good news is that the recording problems seem to be absolutely fixed so there should be another update this week once I have a good day.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
: Come on, you don't believe me?
I know you've put your trust in me before.
Would it kill you to give me another shot?
Well gee, since your last shot DID, in fact, almost kill us, I'm going to go ahead and say "probably"!

quote:

: "Mad Screams of Love"?
: H-How did that get on the market?!
: You've got yourself a sale.
Peddler: Thank you very much!
: W-Wait!
Surely all of us have done foolish things in our youths that we'd be embarrassed to confront today!
Aren't we, as adults, supposed to turn a blind eye to such things in order to spare others from their shame?
: I've never seen Rowen like this.
I'm ashamed to say it, but that only makes me want to read it all the more.
I guess that makes me a child still.
: The only shame here would be abandoning that healthy, youthful curiosity in an attempt to seem more grown-up than you are.
Real men have to hold onto their childlike curiosity for as long as they can.
Which is why I'm going to indulge mine with this special-edition copy of Rowen's masterwork.
: Sounds good to me!

I don't have anything snarky to say here, but this is fantastic.

: So they really are all dead.

Loren: I'm afraid so. My business failed in Fennmont, and we couldn't afford to stay in the city any longer.
We just arrived here in Auj Oule, hoping to make a new start in a new land.
: Then you should go check out Hamil! Everyone's gone, so the town's in trouble.
Loren: What do you mean?
: Well, uh...
Loren: I see. You know, I think it may have been fate that brought us together today.
We'll try our luck in Hamil.
Aren't you forgetting something? The finder's fee for tipping you off to that prime real estate. It's a buyer's market, so better snap up those houses because they're going fast, fast, fast!
: Prime real estate? The whole town is full of corpses.
: Bah, you can just step over those. And you don't say it like that. Say "Comes with plenty of fertilizer, great for gardens!"

quote:

: Of course. I take full responsibility for my decisions.
: Because that's what a doctor has to do?
: No. Because it's what an adult has to do.

:owned: I don't think I've seen someone get owned that hard in a while.

Jude, are you sure you want to be a doctor? You don't seem to be cut out for that sort of thing.

quote:

Screaming intensifies.

Step 1: Land in Fenmont.
Step 2: Find clean underwear.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

CH18: Perhaps we're starting to smell a bit cheesy ourselves.

Skit Video: A Wyvern's Diet

: The wyverns weren't as scary as I thought they'd be.
: I'm just glad they didn't eat you.
: Too bad they didn't eat Alvin the traitor!
: Oh, did I forget to mention wyverns only eat children?
: But they don't eat their flesh. They nibble away at their souls -- so gently that the kids don't even notice.
: While you were enjoying soaring through the sky, most of your soul could have been chewed away.
: That's a lie! That's total nonsense!
: Gyaahhh! I was right to be afraid!
: Haha, they make it too easy.

: It was time to get this show on the road and take the fight to Fennmont.

: Thank you for everything.
Please return home safely. For my brother, as well.
: You have my word, young madam.
: Then let's be off.

: No more big flying monsters attacked them, and they landed near the outskirts of Fennmont, well into the night clime.

: I believe we just need to follow this road to reach Fennmont.
: Yeah, let's go.

Skit Video: Parting with the Wyverns

: I'm sure you can see why it wouldn't be practical to ride the wyverns into Fennmont.
: You'd get spotted right away!
: Yes. There'd be no avoiding a battle, and civilians would get dragged into it.
: Yeah, I guess that makes sense.
: But is it really okay to leave the wyverns alone like that?
: They shouldn't have anything to fear from the monsters.
: Because the monsters are their friends?
: Oh, no, no. The wyverns may look docile, but they can be quite tough when they need to be.
: Monsters aren't their friends. Monsters are their food.
: Ahhh! I was right to be afraid!

Skit Video: Master Seamster

: Be done in just a jiffy here.
: Wow, as good as new! Thanks!
: Nice job. Those are Jude's best clothes, you know. He spent days fretting over exactly what to get.
He bought them for his move to Fennmont, because he was terrified he'd look like a country bumpkin.
: That's surprisingly adorable of you.
: Go right ahead. Blab all my secrets.
: That's a fine story. Please, take good care of them.
: How did you get to be so good at sewing, anyway?
: I learned it when I was in the military.
: Originally, it was just so I could sew up the lips of any of my men who leaked vital information.
: After that, I took up needlepoint as a hobby.
: Oh, that's such an embarrassing story, though. Let's keep that a secret between us.
: Mmm!
: Guess that's one secret she won't spill.

Skit Video: Rowen's Fears

: Yeah, Driselle really kept things together.
: Oh, I knew Lady Driselle would do fine. I have great faith in her strength of spirit.
: Then what were you so concerned about?
: I couldn't stop worrying that I had forgotten to shut off my bedroom lamp.
: You were that worried about a lamp?
: What if it had caused a fire? I couldn't get the thought out of my mind.
: I can relate to that. Once the worry sets in, it never leaves.
: Ever since I left home, I've been wondering if I remembered to close the lid on my bottle of dried gels.
: I certainly hope you did! Dried gels swell up and burst if they absorb too much moisture.
: Maybe I should send a letter home and ask Dad to check?
: We're on our way to pick a fight with a king, and this is what keeps you up at night?

: The scene when they reached the city wasn't quite what they were expecting.

: What's going on?
: Hey, look!

: Isn't that--
: The lab!
: The Lance of Kresnik is in there. Let's go!

Skit Video: Return to Fennmont

: All thanks to you and the others.
: Can you believe this is where we first met? That feels like forever ago.
: I suppose it does.
: This probably isn't something I need to say again, but--
: I know. "There's no time for waxing sentimental."
: Right.

Plenty of time for sidequesting though!

Grieving Woman: What to do, what to do?
Grieving Woman: Really? You'll deliver it for me?
Thank you so much. The addressee is my father. He's one of the sentries stationed there.
He should be working at the west gate. When you see him, please give him this letter.
I guess with things the way they are, there's nothing I can do.

Fort Guard: Who goes there?!
What? You say you've got a letter from my daughter?
Thank you for taking the time to bring this to me. Would you mind delivering my response to her?
Tell her that I can't leave my post without permission.
Not even for her mother's death. That is what it means to be a soldier.

Grieving Woman: So, he won't come home after all. Mother said she knew that he wouldn't.
She said that's just the kind of man he's always been, and that's why she married him. Then she died with a smile on her face.
I wonder if I'll ever be able to understand why.

: Uh-oh.
Girl: Hey! I know you too!
: Not again?!
Girl: You were on that poster! The one for bad people!
: It's called a "wanted poster".
Girl: Yeah, that poster!
: Can we skip the vocabulary lesson and run away now?
: But why are children the only ones recognizing us?
: Children are still pure and innocent. You can't fool them so easily.
: You make it sound like I'm some kind of monster disguised as a human.
: We don't have time to argue about this!

Manager: I messed up my order and now I don't have enough Meadow Crystals! And they're the season's hottest item!
I need more! Somebody get me more!
Manager: You'll get me more Meadow Crystals? Really?!
Thank you, thank you! Oh, and please don't tell my boss about this, okay?

Manager: You did it! Thank you, thank you! Now I won't have to worry about my boss yelling at me!
Here's a token of my appreciation. Don't tell my boss I gave you this!
For this we get the Tiara accessory, which I don't think I had before. I toss it on Jude, since he's the heroine of this game.

Grad Student: I'm right in the middle of working on my graduate thesis, but I don't have the materials I need to complete my experiments.
I know this is a long shot, but I don't suppose you could help me with that, could you?
Grad Student: Thank you! All I need is some Monster Fluid.
With that, I should be able to prove a new hypothesis I have about mana lobes.
Please do your best. My life is riding on this!

Grad Student: Yup, that's the Monster Fluid I needed. I should be able to finish my thesis with this.
Just between you and me, if I can pull this off, I'll get to be the lead assistant to Haus' replacement.
Once that happens I'll be set for life! Seriously, thank you.

This one is really out of the way, I can't imagine people finding it without a guide. On the other hand, it's totally worth it.

: My lady, I couldn't help but notice that you appear a bit flushed. I hope you haven't caught a fever?
: I have caught a fever! A fever born from great passion!
I was so moved by the poetry you wrote in "Mad Screams of Love".
: What! You don't mean... You were the one who bought that book?!
: Yes! I must have read it aloud dozens of times!
The passion you exude in your screaming about love and pain is just incredible!
: I, uh... I was quite young back then, and... Well...
: We need to republish this, and make it available for all the world to read!
: No, please! Anything but that!
: Are you sure?
: I am quite adamant!
: Then, would you at least do me the honor of signing my copy?
: Only if you promise never to read it aloud again.
: Very well. It will be our little secret.

OK finally back to the main plot.

: Are you okay?
: Mr. Eldin?
: Doc... Doctor Jude?
: Lie still. You're hurt pretty badly.
: Listen to me, doc.
She tricked us. One of the researchers was actually an Auj Oule spy.
When I tried to arrest her, she blew up the entire testing chamber.
Man: We'll carry the wounded to the hospital. Come with me.
: It sounds like Gaius is making his move.
: We can't waste any more time.

: There were enough random people helping with the wounded that sneaking in was trivial. Getting to the Lance's location had a slight obstacle: a blast door.

: Now what? Doesn't sound like knocking will get us in.
It's actually hard to get a screen cap of this, but Milla starts smacking the door with her sword.
: The Lance of Kresnik is just beyond this door!
: There's got to be another way in. Let's look for it.

: Jude heard some mysterious sounds from the same room he met Milla in earlier.

: Rowen and the others weren't really prepared for the creepy dead body room.

: You okay?
: I don't know anything. I'm sorry.
: Isn't she--
: It's the mayor!
: Hang in there!
: The mayor of Hamil?
They did say that the Rashugal army invaded the village.
: Ah! All the villagers. Frozen solid!
No! No!
: Hey! Come back to us! Don't give up!
: Ugh... Ergh... Ah...
: Oh no, mayor!
: It's Professor Haus all over again.
: The villagers were frozen solid? What could that mean?
Is this what Gaius' henchwoman meant when she said the power of a Great Spirit?
: This woman was knocking on death's door. She might've been delusional.
: Either way, this is unforgivable.

Skit Video: The Mayor's Death

: Are you thinking about the mayor?
: I understand how you feel. My teacher at school was killed by that same awful machine.
: It's not that.
It's that... I'm not actually sad at all.
: Is Elize a heartless monster?
: Elize...
: Do you think she got what she deserved?
: Of course not! The mayor suffered horribly!
What happened was so awful.
: Would a heartless monster get so mad about what happened to the mayor? Would she shed tears over it?
: No, I guess not. We have to destroy that stupid Lance!

: Can this contraption help us?
: It might let us look in on the Lance.
Here's the video feed.
: That's remarkable, Jude.

: The Lance of Kresnik is gone. Did that explosion destroy it?
: Surely it would leave some wreckage behind.
: Perhaps the Lance was moved before the explosion occurred.
That's the only logical explanation.
: But moved to where?
: Milla, look!
I found a recording of what happened.
Is that the spy Mr. Eldin talked about?

: You're right. She was the one that attacked us.
: Hey, what's she got there?
: It looks like someone discovered her ruse, so she detonated a bomb.
: But isn't she an Auj Oule spy?
If I were in her shoes, I wouldn't risk my life like that even if my cover was blown.
In the game of espionage, a dead body can still provide valuable intel.
: Then how about this: Maybe she planned to blow up the Lance all along, and Mr. Eldin finding her was just a coincidence.
: If Jude's theory is true, then it's likely that the girl didn't know the Lance had left the facility.
: That means she's now either on her way to the location where the Lance was taken...
: Or trying to find out where that location is.
: In either case, we might find out something if we can catch her.
: According to the time stamp on the video, the explosion only happened half an hour ago.
: Then she's probably still in the city.
: We need to find that girl.

Skit Video: Tales of School - Part 1

: Ah, young students burning with passion, living their dreams. I bet you miss those days.
: Not really. We studied and trained all day, every day. I never did anything particularly memorable.
: Pfft. Lame. That is so you.
: Even those days of toil will one day be treasures to you.
: I would have liked to have gone to school myself.
: You should have! Maybe you'd have learned how to behave like a normal person.
: Did you go to school, Leia?
: Sure did. I was the class vice president!
: Ah. Then going to school doesn't seem to help with behavior at all.
: Heh heh. You might be right about that!
: Hey, wait a minute!

: She hadn't gone far.

: I know you.
Yes! Yes! Yes! I finally get to finish you off! And it's not even my birthday!
: Sorry to interrupt your little psychotic episode, but we really need to ask you something.
: Ah ha ha ha! Why would I answer you clods?
: Wait, I have seen you before.
Is it possible? Are you Lady Nadia of House Travis?
: Huh?!
: I seem to be correct.
But what would compel an heiress of one of the Six Ruling Houses to spy for Auj Oule?
: I dunno anything about that stinking house.
I'm Agria the Shadowless, of the Chimeriad!
: The Chimeriad again?!
: So you're working for Gaius.
: What's it to you?
: You tried to destroy the Lance of Kresnik.
: Well, duh! Ha ha ha!
: We want to destroy it, too. That makes us allies.
If you know where the Lance was taken, tell us.
: Ah ha ha ha! Like I'd tell you anything.
: Please! You want to destroy it for the same reason we do, right? 'Cause it's dangerous?
: You reek.
Ah ha ha ha ha! Oh, I've got an idea!
Before I destroy the Lance, I'll use it to blast Rashugal to itty-bitty bits!
Ah ha ha ha ha!
: What is your problem?
We're working our butts off to save the world, and you think it's funny to stand in our way?
: Ah ha ha ha ha! You really do stink!
: What are you? Five?
: You think you can fill the world with rainbows and kittens just by working hard?
Ah ha ha ha ha! That sweet reek of yours is giving me brain decay!
: What's your beef with hard work?
: Zip it, you little pimple, or I'll pop you!
: E-Excuse me!
: I still remember the agony you caused me that day!
: This girl is making my head hurt.

So if you remember from WAY WAY WAY back Agria is the fire-elemental one of the boss squad. I have thus purchased Red Cloaks for all my guys and put the fire resist skill on them too.

Those guys that join with her are pieces of trash. Also this is Elize's Dark Wings spell, which summons black butterflies that turn into swords or something.

OK starting from now, sometimes enemies will have the camera zoom in on them as a white aura surrounds them. That's overlimit. Watch the hell out.

I'm deliberately NOT watching out, though.

She has a move called "Summon Spirit" that summons these guys. They're chumps, and also you can steal a Treat from them, which is an item that heals your whole party for 30%. NOT BAD.

So the RED exclamation point indicates that the boss is using an Arcane Arte, which aside from the Summon and Milla's Flame Ring is the only move she has we didn't see when she first showed up. Note that she's in Overlimit. That means it's time for the...

:siren: MYSTIC ARTE! :siren:

Agria's stats are kind of low for a boss, and I came in with massive resistance to her element, so it's not very dangerous.

Oh, Alvin and Milla have a new Link Arte.

I don't think my encoder likes a really bright light.

Honestly I probably could have done that fight on a higher difficulty. Everyone gets two levels and 8-10 points for their orb.

: Huh!

: I should warn you: I'm still not used to the sensation of sweating during exertion.
Couple that with my somewhat clumsy sword grip and, well... You might consider being a little more cooperative.
Where is the Lance?
A secret passageway runs under the laboratory. It connects to Orda Palace.
: And that is?
: That's the palace Nachtigal rules from.
: I've never heard of this passageway.
: Is it still usable?
: Only if you're a worm. It's caved in now.
: So we can't use it.
Hey, get back here!

: Agria did some kind of weird crab-crawl out from under Milla's sword. I saw Leia try it once, it looked ridiculous.
: Maxwell, one of these days I'm going to rip that pretty face of yours to pieces!
And you, pimple! Listen up.
Work, work, work as hard as that scrawny body of yours can handle, and you'll still wind up with only two things: jack and squat!
: Why do you say stuff like that?!
That girl has serious issues!

: Orda Palace. The enemy stronghold.
: We should be careful.
: I know. Let's check things out first.

Skit Video: Agria the Shadowless

: Is that wretched little urchin actually nobility?
: Yes, I do believe that she is the scion of the Travis family.
: The Travis estate was destroyed by arson a few years ago. Most of the Travises died in the blaze.
: She lost her whole family? No wonder she turned out that way.
: How interesting. You can sympathize with someone you despised mere seconds ago.
: Yeah, I guess that's the kind of thing Agria would say "reeks" of naivete.
: Perhaps she would. But I find it to be a kind and gentle smell.
: I agree.
: Oh dear, perhaps we're starting to smell a bit cheesy ourselves.
: Haha, thanks you guys.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 22, 2015

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Agria should have Flame Ring over her first fight. Though she also lost her second physical attack. I guess Lemon Gel spam counts as a move too.

Her AI is also the most psychotic nonsense in the game. Fitting, of course. She will lead battles off by throwing Lemon Gels on herself. She tends to focus on Leia first, almost exclusively, until she's down.

Also Agria is the best.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
One thing I noticed was how Agria's normally cloudy eyes abruptly sharpen when Rowen drops her actual name before her expression goes blank again. That and a few other things make me theorize that her batshit crazy shtick is mostly an act that she uses to cope.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Bufuman posted:

One thing I noticed was how Agria's normally cloudy eyes abruptly sharpen when Rowen drops her actual name before her expression goes blank again. That and a few other things make me theorize that her batshit crazy shtick is mostly an act that she uses to cope.

That seems more likely than not, although "mostly" is an important word there.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Honestly, I HATED Agria. She creeped me out every time she was on screen, and the weird tics she has and the spasmodic way that she moves just makes me want to scream "kill it with fire!" even though given her elemental affinity that wouldn't have helped much. Still, I found her by far the most annoying of the chimeriad and really wished for the open world freedom to just kill her and be done with it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That crab scoot animation is amazing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So uh this page has updates 17, 17B, and 18 on it. It's getting a tad heavy. :justpost:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How far into the game are we?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

well, I guess next is Definitely Not The Final Dungeon.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Agria's crabwalk is nifty but otherwise she's kind of grating-crazy. Mystic Art's are always neat.

Wonder why she's so fixated on Leia. I sense a tragic backstory and moral about naivete coming up.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

wdarkk posted:

So uh this page has updates 17, 17B, and 18 on it. It's getting a tad heavy. :justpost:

Alright, random facts time!

-Agria's real name: Nadia Travis, is missing it's middle name. She's actually Nadia Lara Travis. A character in Xillia 2 had their name localized as Lara. Said character shares their unlocalized name with another character. Who has the middle name Lara. So you get someone now named Lara Lara.
-Rowen's also missing his middle initial/name. J for Jade.
-Gaius and the Chimeriad (including Agria) were actually all in Xian Du during the tournament as compiled in a drama CD.
-There's Six Scrolls throughout the game for each of the Six Ruling Houses of Rashugal. As of current, we have access to four. The Scroll of Travis is in Leronde for whatever reason.
-You can actually access the first scroll in Fennmont while wandering around as Jude.
-Rowen hilariously undercuts his role during his time serving with Nachtigal.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

McTimmy posted:

Alright, random facts time!

-Agria's real name: Nadia Travis, is missing it's middle name. She's actually Nadia Lara Travis. A character in Xillia 2 had their name localized as Lara. Said character shares their unlocalized name with another character. Who has the middle name Lara. So you get someone now named Lara Lara.
-Rowen's also missing his middle initial/name. J for Jade.
-Gaius and the Chimeriad (including Agria) were actually all in Xian Du during the tournament as compiled in a drama CD.
-There's Six Scrolls throughout the game for each of the Six Ruling Houses of Rashugal. As of current, we have access to four. The Scroll of Travis is in Leronde for whatever reason.
-You can actually access the first scroll in Fennmont while wandering around as Jude.
-Rowen hilariously undercuts his role during his time serving with Nachtigal.

-I'm pretty sure Rowen's middle name is a reference to Jade Curtiss. Namco just loves referencing him, don't they? Recall that one character in Tales of Hearts got the name Jadeite because they were going with a gemstone name theme, but Jade was already taken by our friend the colonel, so they went with the next best thing.
-So wait, Agria was posted in Fennmont, zipped on over to Xian Du for the tournament, and came back? Is that what blew her cover, as detailed in that video the group saw?
-Well, Rowen is a modest sort. And he's perfect that way, if you ask me. But yeah, we'll hear more of that later.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
We better get excerpts from Rowen's teenager poetry book. :allears:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I got my rear end beaten by Agria when I encountered her here, because I wasn't expecting a boss fight, least of all with her, so I was very underprepared and slightly underleveled, a bit of grinding and I got her on my second go.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Bufuman posted:

-I'm pretty sure Rowen's middle name is a reference to Jade Curtiss. Namco just loves referencing him, don't they? Recall that one character in Tales of Hearts got the name Jadeite because they were going with a gemstone name theme, but Jade was already taken by our friend the colonel, so they went with the next best thing.

You are never, ever wrong referencing Jade Curtiss.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Bufuman posted:

-So wait, Agria was posted in Fennmont, zipped on over to Xian Du for the tournament, and came back? Is that what blew her cover, as detailed in that video the group saw?

Possibly. I have another theory that will wait until later though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
: Nice job. Those are Jude's best clothes, you know. He spent days fretting over exactly what to get.
He bought them for his move to Fennmont, because he was terrified he'd look like a country bumpkin.
: He totally failed, by the way. After the first week his nickname was "Bumpkin McWoodenFace".

I can tell that Kate Higgins is having a blast playing Agria. Gee, I wonder what the connection is between PSYCHOTIC FIRE GIRL and her parents being killed in an ARSON FIRE. Gee, what a stumper.

Also, this:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

: He totally failed, by the way. After the first week his nickname was "Bumpkin McWoodenFace".

I can tell that Kate Higgins is having a blast playing Agria. Gee, I wonder what the connection is between PSYCHOTIC FIRE GIRL and her parents being killed in an ARSON FIRE. Gee, what a stumper.

Also, this:

I admit I kind of love these. Keep them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Time for fun facts about the Chimeriad. As mentioned in an earlier skit each Chimeriad member is named after a part of the Chimera. Jiao translates to horn, Agria is stinger, Presa is fang, Wingul is Wing.

In other fun little triva facts here are some about Agria. White is not Agria's natural hair color, it whitened due to stress after she ran away from home. She has four half siblings named Aurignac, Gravett, Celedonio, and Magdalena. (None of them show up in game) Lastly you know that Bird that Alvin uses to send send and receive messages. It's name is Bobo and it belongs to Agria, who adopted it as a pet after her older brother Celedonio killed it's parents.

• Locked thread