Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like how Maxwell has somehow completely understood the way of the sword in a single afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Glazius posted:

I do like how Maxwell has somehow completely understood the way of the sword in a single afternoon.

Alvin probably just taught her some basic stances or how to hit something properly. It's not like they're going up against swordfighters for most of the game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Alvin probably just taught her some basic stances or how to hit something properly.

And from that she completely mastered the sword.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Alvin probably just taught her some basic stances or how to hit something properly. It's not like they're going up against swordfighters for most of the game.

alvin is a really poor teacher and I am a terrible human being

: Alvin, can you teach me how to use a sword properly?
: You don't know how to use a sword? Fine. The first thing to know is that the pointy end -
- goes in the enemy?
: If you want lessons, don't interrupt me.
: I was saying, the pointy end goes in your butt.
: That's not in any book I've ever read, but you are the expert...
: Alvin, Milla doesn't understand sarc-
: Ack!
: ...
: A-are you certain, Alvin? This does not seem comfortable at all.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 7, 2014

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Steel is also pretty useful for Jude because it's his first move that picks up downed enemies right from the bat.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The joke is that "intuitively feel the sword as an extension of your body" is a cliche line about people who've mastered swordsmanship. It's not really Alvin's evaluation ("okay, good enough, we're done") but the way she describes it which implies that she's actually a master. Gameplay-wise I suppose it explains why she's no worse at melee fighting than any of your other characters.

Also note that Alvin's style involves holding a gun in his off-hand so I'm not sure how useful his stances would be anyway...

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Seeing as how Milla/Maxwell is...well...the Chief of the Gods, it's also likely true that she can learn things much faster than an ordinary human.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Seeing as how Milla/Maxwell is...well...the Chief of the Gods, it's also likely true that she can learn things much faster than an ordinary human.

It's worth pointing out, although not strictly relevant, that each of our party is oriented somewhat around a particular stat, and Milla's is INT. (IIRC Jude is AGI.)

Perlia
May 14, 2013

Clarste posted:

The joke is that "intuitively feel the sword as an extension of your body" is a cliche line about people who've mastered swordsmanship. It's not really Alvin's evaluation ("okay, good enough, we're done") but the way she describes it which implies that she's actually a master. Gameplay-wise I suppose it explains why she's no worse at melee fighting than any of your other characters.

Also note that Alvin's style involves holding a gun in his off-hand so I'm not sure how useful his stances would be anyway...

Actually, he's left-handed. That'll be touched on in a skit later, but he learned to use the gun first, and the sword second. There may be a reason for this that is in supplementary material.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

wdarkk posted:

It's worth pointing out, although not strictly relevant, that each of our party is oriented somewhat around a particular stat, and Milla's is INT. (IIRC Jude is AGI.)

So the prodigy doctor/tactical mastermind isn't the INT focussed character? That's a little silly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taciturn Tactician posted:

So the prodigy doctor/tactical mastermind isn't the INT focussed character? That's a little silly.

He's a quick thinker :v:.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Oh, neat, a Xillia LP. I knew you mentioned you might do one in the Graces LP, but I didn't know you'd gotten around to it. I really should check the LP board more often instead of just checking my bookmarks.

Can't wait for the other characters to be introduced. As it's been said already, the cast in this game is simply amazing. They just have so much synergy with each other, especially for the comedic bits. Yes, they're a bit :japan: (alright, EXTREMELY :japan:) but they're still hilarious for all that.

Also I'd like to add that you chose the BEST two characters to narrate this one. The non-Ivar narrator is just the best. Especially in Xillia 2, where said character may be an even bigger troll than Jade loving Curtis.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 24, 2014

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

wdarkk posted:

And that's not entirely set in stone, either. Milla, as is appropriate for her fighting style, is a well-balanced fighter who has respectable levels in every stat, but doesn't really excel in anything besides her main stat of Intelligence. Moreover, another character that's more heavily-focused on magic than she is, actually tends to have a higher base Intelligence stat than her (Milla can get a higher buffed total thanks to skills, though).

Jude's stats are more in line with other Tales main characters, in that he's heavily focused on the physical side, with exceptional Agility and decent Strength and Vitality, but fairly low levels of the more magic-based stats of Intelligence, Psyche (basically magic defense) and Dexterity (mostly affects crit chance, but also has a minor influence on magic attack and defense). Alvin has even higher Strength and Vitality (the former being his primary stat), but he's much slower than Jude or Milla, and every bit as bad as the former with his magic-based stats.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I get that there's a separation between story and gameplay but it's hilarious for the 15 year old in med school to have a low INT stat.

FANSean
Nov 9, 2010
I don't think it's actually terribly low, just comparatively low to, y'know, the avatar of god. Kind of an unfair comparison there.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

FANSean posted:

I don't think it's actually terribly low, just comparatively low to, y'know, the avatar of god. Kind of an unfair comparison there.

He's smarter than Alvin.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

tbf in a setting with well established magic a doctor doesn't necessarily need to be that smart

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Cake Attack posted:

tbf in a setting with well established magic a doctor doesn't necessarily need to be that smart

Medical Practice, Rieze Maxia Style:

1: Find sick/injured person.

2: Place hands over them.

3: Channel spirits.

4: Send them home.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ironically Elize is probably way better at medicine than Jude by this measure.

Also sorry for the lack of updates. Got a perfect storm of holidays/family, health, and Warlords of Draenor going on.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

A later plot point will make this a completely moot.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugh, there was going to be an update tonight, but this pain medication isn't helping at all. Maybe tomorrow.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I've actually been following this thread pretty closely and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I've only ever played Tales of Symphonia before, and I didn't get to finish the final boss because my console broke down before I could get around to it (accidentally stepped on it in the night.) Kind of a shame really, because Xilla looks pretty great and I kind of wish I had picked it up!

Also it is a small thing I wanted to point out because it confused me was

wdarkk posted:

Milla's got some moves! Flame Sphere is Flame Ring + Jude's Steal.

The steal threw me off for a moment because I was like 'Jude can steal things now too? Whoa!' Then I read down and it made more sense.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
My PS3's blu-ray drive died (at least on the one I record on, it's almost a decade old so not a shock) so I'm a bit behind on getting my next thing done. I should have something this week tentatively maybe?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

CH5: Not Quite Yet Hails and Farewells

: Their return to the village was otherwise without incident.

: So you've made up your mind.
: Yeah. I'm going with Milla.
: Whoa. You're quite the flip-flopper. I thought you regretted getting involved.
: True, but, I've made my decision to help her, and I'm sticking to it.
: Is that right?
: Alvin, thanks for all your help.
Oh, I almost forgot. We still need to pay you.
: Ah yes. My fee.
I ran into some hayseed. He said he'd pay it.
: One of the villagers?
: Yep. He was all, "Thank you for looking after Lord Maxwell!" And, "You saved our Spirit!"
: Hmm. That sounds like the elder. He shouldn't have offered.
Alvin, I'll pay you myself.
: You need to learn how to read your people, Milla.
That old man was tickled pink to pay your debt. You'd crush him if you refused.
: You think so?
: I know so.
Anyway, he told me to wait here for him. That was ages ago, though. Not sure what's holding him up.
: He's still in the village, right?
: Most likely. We should find him.
: Don't forget to take care of anything you want while I'm still around.
Once I get my reward, I'm outta here.

Well, let's take Alvin at his word, because there's something I've wanted to do: put an attachment on him!

We've got the equipment menu here, if you scroll down past the equipment you get accessories and costumes. There's two types of accessories, one you can have one of and one you can have two of.

Yes. Yes.

I also slap a dagger on his arm. It says it'd look good worn on the thigh, but I'd have to accomplish that by moving it to another slot and I like it where it is just fine.

Also I turn in some quests I did.
Elder: Thank you for all that you've done.
Now we can once again visit the shrine without having to fear for our safety.

This quest appears to have slightly different dialog depending on if you turn it in with Milla or not.
Isn't this wonderful, Lord Maxwell? Now you have another specimen for your Insect Husk collection!
Don't worry, Lord Maxwell.
I won't tell your companions that you have such an... unusual hobby.
If you have someone else turn it in, she says something like "Thank you so much. I'm sure Lord Maxwell will be thrill-- I mean, I am honored to have been able to uphold our village's tradition."

: After talking with a bunch of other elders, they finally found THE elder.

: Worry not.
I hear you've prepared payment for Alvin.
: Yes, yes. The villagers all pitched in and collected a small fund ages ago.
It's the least we can do to help you, Lord Maxwell. We're farmers, not fighters, after all.
: I see.
: Told you.
: I appreciate everything you've done for me.
The Elder hands Alvin a coin bag, but Alvin's back blocks the entire thing so they don't have to animate it.
: So my debt is paid. Thank you for everything.
: Yeah, thanks!
: It was fun. See you around.
: And just like that, he's gone.
: That's a mercenary for you, I suppose.
: Yeah.

: Will you be departing again?
: Yes. Look after the village.
: But I would rather accompany you!
I wouldn't dare leave your holy care in the hands of this blasphemous, uncouth, shifty, backstabbing stranger!
: Ivar! Tell me again of your duty.
: My duty? Why, it is to serve you, Lady Milla.
: And what of your other duty?
: Uhh, to protect the people of Nia Khera. Those who can't protect themselves.
: Exactly. And now you see why Jude shall accompany me on this journey.
While you fulfill your second duty.
: But Lady Milla! You wouldn't have lost the Great Spirits if not for him!
: No, the fault was mine and mine alone. Indeed, if Jude hadn't been there...
I might never have returned safely to Nia Khera.
: Thanks, I'm only trying to help.

: Yeah, he really did look like he was about to burst into tears like a whiny baby. He's so adorable that way. If you can't hear him.
: RRRRRRR

: No.
: Then let's be off, Jude. I hope they haven't closed off the seahaven.
: So does that mean we'll be passing through Hamil again on the way?
: Hmm. Yes, that's not a bad idea.
: Really? Is that okay?
: It will give us a chance to check up on Rashugal's activity here in Auj Oule.
If we're lucky, we might even find a way to sneak into Fennmont.
: Gotcha, we'll stop by Hamil then.
: Safe travels to you, Lord Maxwell.
: Thank you.

: As they left, mysterious forces were at work.

Mr Husky: And you claim she has lost her powers, Presa?
: Yes.

: If I'd only known that woman was Maxwell, I would have forced her to reveal the key's whereabouts.
Mr Husky: No matter. It is in our best interest to let her wander freely for now.
Thin Man: Yes. Let her attract the attention of Rashugal while we quietly put all the pieces in place.
Mr Husky: Any word from Agria?
Thin Man: She says they appear to have decided to construct a new key to replace the one they lost.
Mr Husky: We cannot ignore that.
Thin Man: Jiao, you no longer need to watch over the girl. Join the search for the key.
: But, sir...
Thin Man: If the Rashugal soldiers have withdrawn, you need not monitor her personally.
: It only makes sense for priorities to change. The data is safe, after all.
: As you say...
Thin Man: Presa, rendezvous with Agria and infiltrate Fennmont.
: Oh, so it's truly safe to leave Maxwell alone?
Thin Man: Yes. We still have another pawn on the board. I'll have him search for the key, as well.

: Our heroes were talking strategy as well.

: What is it?
: I was mulling over our options. What if we can't take a boat straight to Fennmont?
: Well...
: I vote against taking the land route from Auj Oule. Crossing the mountains would be a real pain.

: We could head toward Sharilton from Sapstrath Seahaven.
: We? What do you mean, "we"?
: That handmaid of yours offered me a little job.
He wasn't so crazy about his exalted Spirit traveling with a pipsqueak for a protector.

: I don't think Alvin is very good at being a mercenary.
: Oh wow, that was a great sarcastic tone. I need to practice that!
: It comes with dealing with the heroic types all the time.
: I hope I never sound that world-weary.
: Check back in four thousand years.
: Hehe, very well. Good to have you back.
: Yeah, thanks for coming along.
: Thank Ivar and the villagers, not me. So, what's the plan?
: First, we head to Hamil to investigate Rashugal's movements.
: If they're still there, that is.
: Then you better take this. Keep it handy, just in case.
Shall we go?

Yeah fast travel booyah! No need for an airship or anything fancy, the game just lets us abstract out the walk the way Skyrim or something would.

Skit Video: Storing Mana

: Fundamentally, the Four are masses of mana.
: The Lance of Kresnik absorbs mana and, apparently, is able to store it.
: I never thought that was even possible.
: Apparently it is.
: We have to go rescue the Four then!
: I do like the pluck. But this might be a case where a bit of pluck'll get you a lot of dead.
: A pissed-off med student's probably not a tall order for the group that bagged the Four Great Spirits.
: ......

Along the way, we pick up the "Arc Fire" arte for Alvin, which fires bullets in an arc and has a flaming effect. I realize at some point I should explain charging and show off the charged versions of these moves. It just feels less interesting to me than Milla's stuff.

Skit Video: Alvin's Secret

: That's a secret for grown-ups.
: It sounds like you're trying to hide something.
: Figured that out, did you? Do you want to ask what I was doing?
: If you don't want to tell me, that's fine.
: If it's fine with you, then I ain't tellin'.
; You don't want to tell me?
: You don't want to ask?
: I'm starting to think I'd rather not know.
: I'm starting to think you're probably right.

Skit Video: Ivar's Duties

: I don't value his temper, but he is quite skilled.
: He said he's been serving you for years.
: Yes. He cleans up the shrine, he runs errands, always with a lot of enthusiasm.
: He buys my clothes and arranges them into outfits.
:What?
: Wow. Your handmaid has... exquisite taste.
: Yes, the clothes are very comfortable. I quite like them.

: I don't know what they expected to find back in Hamil, but I don't think this was it.

Woman: This is all your fault, you evil brat!

Man: What's the big idea?
: I'm surprised that man got to keep his jaw. Jude was on a rampage of gallantry.

: Rampages of gallantry aren't very exciting, but still gallant.
: Do you have any idea what you people put us through?!

: Honestly I'm not sure what the big deal was. Nobody got killed! Except some of the Rashugal troops that couldn't get away from the big guy's hammer fast enough.
: Is this Rashugal's doing?
: They couldn't find us, so they took it out on the village.
: Leave here at once! You outsiders are nothing but trouble!
: She was like a completely different person.

: Let's see if the villagers know anything about Rashugal's activities.
Don't forget, we'll be leaving soon.
: Gotcha. Thank you.
So we split up. Milla interviews the mayor, while Jude will see what's up with the girl.

We chase her to the basement of a shed.

: I don't think she was expecting anything good to happen.
: Hey, can we talk?
Don't worry. I won't hurt you.

: We've met once before, right?

: Jude wasn't expecting that either.
: Whoops! Clumsy little guy, aren't you?
: This is Teepo. He won't hurt you.
: And this is Elly, but you should call her Elize!
Nice to meetcha!
: Ah, heh. Nice to meet you, too... Er, both of you.
: Um... Are you okay?
: Sure, just thrown for a loop.
My name's Jude.
: Wah-hey, Jude! Thanks for helping us out before!
: Thank you.
: So what exactly happened? Can you tell me?
: Well, first, all these meanie men showed up from who knows where. Some place far away!
Then the big man whupped 'em all!
; Ah yeah, that guy.
: But then he wandered away somewhere.
: Right! That's when the meanie men started bullying the villagers!
: Is the big guy a buddy of yours, Elize?
: No...
: He's a bad guy! He locked Elly up!
: We arrived here together in Amnis.
: But they started chucking rocks at us the second we stepped outside!
Those meanies!
: Jude?
: Oh, sorry.
Are the two of you waiting for friends here or something?
: Friends? We don't have any.
: Well, you do now.
: Huh?
: Oh...
: Wah-hey! Jude is our pal!
: Mind if I tell my friends about you, Elize?
: Why?
: I don't like the way the villagers here treat you.
I want to ask my friends if there's anything we can do.
: Sure, why not? Jude's our pal! We can trust him!
Right, Elly?
: Thanks, Elize. You just wait right here.

: Oh, you want to come with?
: *Nod*

: Jude took the kid back to the group.

: Oh, it's the doll girl.

: We're finished here. We didn't learn anything useful. It's time to go.
: Wait. We need to talk. It's about the girl.
: Blah blah blah shed.
; The villagers do seem to treat her like a pariah.
: Until that big fellow Jiao returns, I don't see her situation improving.

: He locks her up when he's around, and the villagers treat her horribly when he's away.
Sounds like she's stuck between a jerk and a hard place.
: Unless we bring her with us.
: Bring her with us? And then what? Have you given this any thought?
You do remember my mission.
: Yeah.
Very well. She can come.
: Really?
: Jude. Do you remember what I told you at the falls?
: Huh?
: Be yourself, and do what you have to do.
That's what I said to you.
: Yeah, I remember.
: Those words still apply.
Can I assume your decision to bring the girl is just another step in your path? That it will help you find the answer you seek?
: Y-Yes.
: Then tell Elize she's coming.
: You got it.
: That was nice of you.
: She won't affect my mission. If she slows me down or gets herself in trouble, I'll just leave her behind.
My intent from the beginning was to do this alone, after all.

Skit Video: Fruit of Temptation

: Mmm, is that so?
: They look like they're at the peak of ripeness. Sweet with just a hint of tartness.
: That sounds... interesting.
: Uh, Milla, you're drooling really bad.
: For some reason, I can't make it stop.
: Sounds like your body has awakened to the joys of eating.
: Just keep those mitts off the merchandise. Our rap sheet's long enough as it is.

Notable stuff in town:
The kid we talked to about Aifreed's treasures says he's not supposed to talk to outsiders, but he'll "talk to himself" about it if we're around.
There's a guy who claims that the whole reason shop expansion exists is that everyone used to have to pitch in to make trade possible due to monsters and spirit climes, and that even in this day of better roads and ships it's become a tradition.

: Nobody waved goodbye to her. They're all terrible.

So for the moment, Elize is in our party as a guest party member. She's not going to fight anyone. How would she? She's a not-very-athletic little girl.

Skit Video: An Awkward Introduction

: I'm Elize Lutus. Hello.
: Well, you look like you'll be a fine lady when you grow up.
: I'm Alvin. It's nice to meet you.
: I, um, well...
: Don't talk to strangers, Elize. Strangers are bad!
: Why is this stuffed animal talking?
: Huh? Teepo always talks.
: Naturally!
: Oh. So I'm the one who's reacting strangely?
: Sure looks that way!
: I'm arguing with a stuffed animal. How unusual.
: Unusual, she says.
: Coming from you, Milla?

: So what's keeping this "Teepo" thing floating in the air like that?
: Who knows? Sheer talent, I guess!

Skit Video: Howe's Egg Principle

: Howe's Egg Principle. It sounds obvious, but at the same time, not so much.
: 500 years ago, Professor Howe used that principle to deduce how spirit channeling works.
: Although, people still channeled beforehand, right? They just didn't know what they were doing.
: Yeah. Since spirits have no apparent physical form, people weren't aware they existed at all.
But Professor Howe surmised that something had to be converting the mana from our mana lobes into artes.
: And that turned out to be spirits.
: Yep. His hypothesis was proven with the discovery of spirits that had taken physical forms.
: And 'cause he figured out what was inside the egg, the age of spirit artes was born.
: Exactly. Although there's still a lot we don't understand about spirits.
: Like Maxwell being a busty twenty-year-old. Bet even Professor Howe didn't see that coming.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The Howe stuff is so hilarious in retrospect now that I see it again.

And speaking of hilarious:
http://imgur.com/joV3En8

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Teepo and Elize are super drat adorable and Alvin still remains the best character in this game so far.

Also this is mostly me making wild guesses, but is one of those bad dudes supposed to be spirit as well? Cause it looked like he had that weird hair thing that Milla does and that hasn't really been prominent on anyone else in the story so far that I can remember. That or it's just crazy anime hair as usual.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Xillia's actually surprisingly reserved with its hair colors, and hair dye is specifically mentioned to exist, so everything exotic can be explained that way.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
I usually stick the sunglasses on Alvin, myself. That said, the Aviators look drat fine as well; I might have to throw those on him next time I play for a change of pace.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I should be able to get us up to date with Milla's side later in the week, maybe Thursday or so. I should have the content recorded tomorrow and given it's just small snippets of scenes that are different that's most of the actual work.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I had everyone except Milla wear sunglasses. She got normal glasses and elf ears instead.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, it's not a proper RPG party until a grade-schooler is involved somehow.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Glazius posted:

Ah, it's not a proper RPG party until a grade-schooler is involved somehow.

Is 12 Grade Schooler age in Japan or Middle School age?

Anyway for ages so far.

We have Alvin at 26 years old, Milla at 20 years old, Jude at 15 years old and now Elize at 12 years old.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Is 12 Grade Schooler age in Japan or Middle School age?

Anyway for ages so far.

We have Alvin at 26 years old, Milla at 20 years old, Jude at 15 years old and now Elize at 12 years old.

I hope the next party member is nine. And also a bear.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

wdarkk posted:

: He buys my clothes and arranges them into outfits.

This explains so, so much.

McTimmy posted:

And speaking of hilarious:
http://imgur.com/joV3En8

On the other hand, this comic is totally in character for dumb and dumber Milla and Ivar too.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 13, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
OH OH put Alvin in Mint's Nurse's hat. Do it do it do it

Presa has the worst costume design in the game so far. And that's saying something.

Man: That's the worst ventriloquist act I've ever seen.
Woman: Look, you can even see her mouth moving!
Boy: Stone her! Stone her!
Crowd: Yeah!

Tough crowd.

: Do you have any idea what you people put us through?!
: Those soldiers were real assholes after they found out what happened here. First one said that his dead buddy owed him 200 Gald, but after we paid that, suddenly all the OTHER soldiers claimed that the dead buddy also owed them 200 Gald! Then they made comments about how flammable our village looked. Weasels!

I guess since Jude is already wanted for treason, additional charges of kidnapping and corruption of a minor aren't a big thing. I bet he didn't even leave a note behind. "I took your shed kid. -- Jude"

: Yeah. Since spirits have no apparent physical form, people weren't aware they existed at all.
But Professor Howe surmised that something had to be converting the mana from our mana lobes into artes.
: And that turned out to be spirits.
: Yep. His hypothesis was proven with the discovery of spirits that had taken physical forms.
: And 'cause he figured out what was inside the egg, the age of spirit artes was born.

Soooo... the world revolves around these invisible sentient spirit things whose sole purpose is to serve their human masters by changing their brain-goo into magic? Fantastic slavery, ho!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Soooo... the world revolves around these invisible sentient spirit things whose sole purpose is to serve their human masters by changing their brain-goo into magic? Fantastic slavery, ho!

No, the spirits eat the mana from the humans, and they're not really forced to do anything, so it's more like they're gainfully employed. Yes, human brains produce spirit food. I guess you could consider them invisible brain parasites?

There's a skit that addresses this later, but Milla's actually the one enslaving them. Or rather, they all serve her as vassals. She doesn't actually cast spells, she just goes "hey you, make with the fire".

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Clarste posted:

No, the spirits eat the mana from the humans, and they're not really forced to do anything, so it's more like they're gainfully employed. Yes, human brains produce spirit food. I guess you could consider them invisible brain parasites?

There's a skit that addresses this later, but Milla's actually the one enslaving them. Or rather, they all serve her as vassals. She doesn't actually cast spells, she just goes "hey you, make with the fire".

Soooo.... arts are essentially spirit poo poo?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Clarste posted:

No, you're only thinking of the Four Great Spirits. The rest are tiny creatures, and it's more of a symbiotic "make me a fireball and you can have some mana out of my brain".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, you're only thinking of the Four Great Spirits. The rest are tiny creatures, and it's more of a symbiotic "make me a fireball and you can have some mana out of my brain".

No, there's a skit later on that explains how she does Spirit Shift, which skips the contract entirely and is basically totally impossible under traditional Spirit Arte theory. Everyone else bargains, while she orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Interlude: The Mighty Maxwell Strikes Back

Once again I must check the terrible lies you pass as facts!
Oh, are you still there? I was kind of hoping maybe you’d saved us some trouble and gone home, or died, or something.
Absolutely not! Otherwise, who would prevent you from spreading horrible misinformation?
Please just get whatever you are planning to say over with so I can go back to acting like you don’t exist.
A-Ahem, very well. Firstly, your shameful focus upon that fool Jude caused you to miss a very important scene with Lady Milla!

Video- “At the Seafalls”

Watch (full scene included for context)

You sure you even want to tell this part? I mean isn’t it super embarrassing how she got easily captured by some poorly-dressed loser?
Lies! She was merely biding her time!

But anyway-
Going to stop you there before you start like describing in creepy detail the lady’s ridiculous outfit. We’re cutting right from the wide shot to her dialogue.
What, but… Okay, fine.

You must be tired. That was way too easy.
Who are you?
Hehe. I’m not telling.

That was when-
Also no detailed description about how she groped her while searching for the key.
Are you going to let me tell this or not?

Where could it be hiding? That little treasure of yours?

Luckily, she didn’t even know what the object of her search looked like.
Wait, she seriously found it and threw it away?

Come now, give it up.
Not a chance!
Urgh!
Oh, have I found your limit?
You should know…
Maybe I just don’t have it anymore.

What’s wrong? Does that hurt? Come clean and I’ll make the pain stop.
Do what you want. I don’t really care. Pain means nothing to me.
Very well. I’ll have to take you with me.

Which is where Jude and Alvin showed up. I assume you agree with my telling of events from that point on?
I suppose they were mostly accurate. Now let’s move to Nia Khera, where you seem to have badly misrepresented a very devoted-
No.
W-What?
No, I think you’re supposed to talk about what happened while Jude was talking to that little girl next.
But, I was going to… Very well, I will file my objections until later. So, scene. Hamil, Elder’s house.

Video- Back at Hamil

Watch

Scram? What happened to the down-home hospitality you showed us when we got here?
Elder: Hmph.
Worry not. We’ll soon be on our way.
But if you keep acting like that, we just might have to stay here longer.
Elder: What do you want from me?
I want to know what happened to Rashugal’s forces.
Have they left?
Elder: Hmph. Chief Jiao drove them off.
Chief Jiao?
Lemme guess. Big guy? Funky beard?
Elder: Yes. Things could’ve gotten a lot worse if not for him.
Huh. So what happened to this Chief Jiao of yours?
Elder: Don’t ask me. We’ve been living a nightmare here ever since he brought that accursed girl with him.
He should have taken her with him when he left.
In any case, we’re through with outsiders here.

So, going back to my point from earlier-
Sorry, that’s all the time we have for you right now.
What? But that’s not fair!
Whoops, and there we are. I guess you’ll just have to wait until another day.
Oh, I will. I will not forget this, you witch!

• Locked thread