Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
Fffffuuuuuucccckkkkk yessssssssssssss

Time to play TIE Fighter all day, every day, for the rest of the year

October 28th (tomorrow), if anyone was wondering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
gonna inspect that cargo

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Gay old games.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Pewdiepie posted:

Gay old games.

You see your windpipe, you god damned sick gently caress? I'm going to crush it with my foot until you stop breathing, and nobody will mourn your loss. Your mother is going to send me an email thanking me, and begging me to give her my dick one last time, and y'know what I'm going to do? I'm not even going to respond to that email.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Mach2 posted:

You see your windpipe, you god damned sick gently caress? I'm going to crush it with my foot until you stop breathing, and nobody will mourn your loss. Your mother is going to send me an email thanking me, and begging me to give her my dick one last time, and y'know what I'm going to do? I'm not even going to respond to that email.

My mom is cool.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

star wars

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

muddream
Oct 13, 2014

FuriousGeorge posted:

gonna inspect that cargo

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
i'll wait for the steam release but thanks! :)

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

gonna put all my shield points into front shields and ram everyone

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Cyra posted:

i'll wait for the steam release but thanks! :)

It took them like 450 years to release X-Wing and TIE Fighter digitally at all, so I'm assuming it'll be another decade or two before we get it on Steam.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

was literally reminiscing about these games today. gonna buy a joystick and play the poo poo out of em

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

tie fighter is quite literally one of the best games ever made in the history of games.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

FuriousGeorge posted:

gonna inspect that cargo

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

tie fighter is quite literally one of the best games ever made in the history of games.
agreedo

but since i've already got both x-wing and tie fighter and can play them just fine thru dosbox what i'm really holding out for is xvt + balance of power in the hopes that someone else gets them and i can finally properly coop hella missions

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

Sombrerotron posted:

agreedo

but since i've already got both x-wing and tie fighter and can play them just fine thru dosbox what i'm really holding out for is xvt + balance of power in the hopes that someone else gets them and i can finally properly coop hella missions

Yes please.

I'll be the weirdo that throws out a request for XWA as well. I loved XWA.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks op but xvt/bop still aren't available so please update me when they are

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

"hey remember those absolutely incredible space combat sims we made that were universally acclaimed and beloved???? Let's never make another one again" -huge retarded human being at lucasarts

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Benny D posted:

"hey remember those absolutely incredible space combat sims we made that were universally acclaimed and beloved???? Let's never make another one again" -huge retarded human being at lucasarts

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
it's here

Dec 26, 2012

good

muddream
Oct 13, 2014

<-- this human being spent >$40 on lucas arts games in teh year 2014 and doesn't feel bad at all

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

Benny D posted:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
disney gets poo poo done

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

confession time: i have never played a game with a joystick, i got freespace 2 to read mouse and keyboard

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Xexre posted:

Yes please.

I'll be the weirdo that throws out a request for XWA as well. I loved XWA.
that's not weird at all, xwa was really good too and actually a gog release might be nice because i think xwa's kind of tricky to get both running and looking right on modern systems

playing xwa online again would be fun too, tho not as fun as xvt since you can only do basic skirmishes

StashAugustine posted:

confession time: i have never played a game with a joystick, i got freespace 2 to read mouse and keyboard
i originally played x-wing that way, somehow

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I played these games as a tiny idiot baby child and had a blast not knowing or caring what the gently caress I was doing. But now as a strapping adult I need the advice of some imps. I'm gonna approach X-Wing and TIE Fighter anew, but I don't have a joystick any more. What should I do? Is it practical to use a gamepad? How many buttons should I make sure it has?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

why does this thread title even bother mentioning Kotor

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

I played these games as a tiny idiot baby child and had a blast not knowing or caring what the gently caress I was doing. But now as a strapping adult I need the advice of some imps. I'm gonna approach X-Wing and TIE Fighter anew, but I don't have a joystick any more. What should I do? Is it practical to use a gamepad? How many buttons should I make sure it has?
i guess you can use a gamepad if you're a BIG JERK but for both the flying experience and practicality i think joystick + keyboard is the way to go

i mean here are the basic key/button requirements for these games:

- three for managing power to engine, lasers, and shields
- three for your main wingman commands (attack, ignore, cover)
- at least two for managing throttle, or an actual throttle if you have that; you maybe could do with a thumbstick but i bet it'd be extremely annoying; and even with a throttle it'd be handy to have another button to automatically match speeds with other craft in tie fighter (and the '98 windows version of x-wing, i think)
- at the very minimum one for switching targets, though in practice you really need two (one for general target rotation, one for enemies targeting you)
- one for switching between weapon types
- one for switching between single/linked/triple or quadruple fire
- one for changing the distribution of shield power (i.e. even/front/back)
- one for going into hyperspace/ending a mission (yeah it's a fully separate key)

and actually i'm probably forgetting one or two more that are pretty much required. apart from all that, i expect that it's just a lot easier to play these games with joysticks instead of thumbsticks, because a lot of the time you need to be very precise in your aiming

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
just get a sidewinder, they are still quite easy to get (proof) and are basically the best joysticks ever created.

Dec 26, 2012

i'll mess with a 360 controller sometime this week and see if i cant wrangle something out of it but that sure is a lot of keys

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

01011001 posted:

i'll mess with a 360 controller sometime this week and see if i cant wrangle something out of it but that sure is a lot of keys
yeah and there's more keys/combinations still, though you can do without a bunch

actually i should add that if you want to play through the defender of the empire expansion for tie fighter (and if you like tie fighter you'll definitely want to), you'll also need:

- one key for managing power to your beam weapon
- one key for switching your beam weapon on and off
- one key for engaging the SLAM overdrive

so uh my original recommendation stands

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sombrerotron posted:

- one key for engaging the SLAM overdrive
Missileboat best boat.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Dec 26, 2012

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Bongo Bill posted:

its probably more fun with a joystick, but i bet the game is easier with a mouse if you got good with it

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
also

lesbian baphomet posted:

why does this thread title even bother mentioning Kotor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lesbian baphomet posted: