Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Are a bunch/all of the new PvE cards broken in the auction house search? I can see people listing new cards in the most recent auctions but when I search for the same cards nothing shows up. I'm not sure if there's a new filter I'm missing or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Thoom posted:

Nazhk Lookout, especially with its equipment, is probably the single insanest card I've played with so far.

I just got my first one like 5 minutes ago, yea looks insane.

Phoix posted:

Are a bunch/all of the new PvE cards broken in the auction house search? I can see people listing new cards in the most recent auctions but when I search for the same cards nothing shows up. I'm not sure if there's a new filter I'm missing or something.

Yea, the campaign PVE cards are broken on the AH. The few kickstarter PVE cards can be found though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh do we get our kickstarter pve cards now?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Some, but not all. I believe the ones included in this patch are:

Princess Cory
Orson's Dream
Prospero, Sylvan Enchanter
Ninja Training
Scourge Knight

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh do we get our kickstarter pve cards now?

I think we only got 5 of them, there are some that are still missing. Already sold my spares, got like 5.5k plat for them.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Thoom posted:

Nazhk Lookout, especially with its equipment, is probably the single insanest card I've played with so far.

By default, it's a 2/2 for 2, and mills your opponent whenever a card is played by either player (including shards).

With gloves, whenever your opponent plays a card, there's a 10% chance for you to get a random vennen into play for free.

I just got a Nazhk Lookout after beating the dryad (after 1 1/2 hours of trying) and suddenly everything is easy... I don't have the gloves, but I have the hat, which gives him unblockable. Pretty nice

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh and can I just waltz through poo poo with that storm cloud promo deck or what

Sorry to be asking basic questions I just haven't had time to even look at all this yet.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh and can I just waltz through poo poo with that storm cloud promo deck or what

Sorry to be asking basic questions I just haven't had time to even look at all this yet.

Champions have restrictions on how many cards they can run based on shard and rarity (ie. a level 1 Vennen can play 3 of any blood/sapphire common, 2 of uncommon, 1 of rare/legendary, and 1 of any rarity artifact, but none of the other 3 shards).

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
Some of these encounters seem really dumb and insanely difficult to beat without completely tearing down and rebuilding your deck, namely the Armies of Myth fight (Plays a 3XX card to summon X random Legendaries every turn, only draws that spell and gains 1 resource a turn) and the entire Wurmoid desert thing, where they play 2 mana 4/3s and 9/4s with upsides that have tunnelling, but they accelerate as you play cards. The 9/4s basically wipe your board when they unburrow.

The startegy for both of these seem to be "have a decent aggro deck in your class' colours pre owned and then get lucky." I can't imagine beating the Armies of Myth without beating them down by turn 5.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I didn't have to rebuild my deck for the base version of Armies of Myth. It literally doesn't do a single thing until its fifth turn, then it creates one completely random unique troop (which is just as likely to be Puck as it is to be the Kraken). You can re-fight it later on and voluntarily increase its difficulty, but the base version was basically not even an encounter. And no, I wasn't playing an aggro deck, I was playing a fairly slow ramp deck. Heaven forbid you play a control deck with Countermagics, those would really gently caress it over.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Any sort of bounce is pretty good in the armies of myth fight simply because they usually won't have the shards to recast something, and if they do it's better then going 2x armies and overwhelming you.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Zurai posted:

You can re-fight it later on and voluntarily increase its difficulty,

Are the rewards any different for fighting it on a higher difficulty?

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010

Zurai posted:

I didn't have to rebuild my deck for the base version of Armies of Myth. It literally doesn't do a single thing until its fifth turn, then it creates one completely random unique troop (which is just as likely to be Puck as it is to be the Kraken). You can re-fight it later on and voluntarily increase its difficulty, but the base version was basically not even an encounter. And no, I wasn't playing an aggro deck, I was playing a fairly slow ramp deck. Heaven forbid you play a control deck with Countermagics, those would really gently caress it over.

Then you got lucky? Aside from a couple of times, they got legitimately threatening legendaries for me, and looking at the card list it seems a lot more are problems than not. Also I don't have any counterspells worth playing unless I'm going to be retooling my deck, as the campaign hasn't given any. Heaven forbid a new player start playing now.

The big issue for me is the worms anyways.

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

Anyone try beating that node using the free comet strike? There was another mission with a side objective and pretty sure I got an extra card I don't remember getting the first time. I can't tell since those rewards are still missing. I'll spoiler just in case.

Hag fight, if you revert the princess I think you get an extra card.

Also pretty sure Adaptatron is the best PVE rare card to come out of this.

Are you supposed to get something extra for using the comet strike? I just beat it after comet striking turn 1 and didn't get anything (it's easy if you just take all the resources out of your deck and fill it with big troops in any of the on-color shards).

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

ianvincible posted:

Are you supposed to get something extra for using the comet strike? I just beat it after comet striking turn 1 and didn't get anything (it's easy if you just take all the resources out of your deck and fill it with big troops in any of the on-color shards).

I hadn't tried yet, I assumed it would since it looked like a similar situation as the hag node.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Assuming we're talking about the same mission, I just used the comet strike on turn... 4? 5? because it made strategic sense to do so, and then I won, but didn't end up seeing any special reward from it. :shrug:

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I just beat the Burning Colossus fight in the most absurd manner possible.

Clerics have an ability which gives them a free "every shard you play gets you a life" constant at the beginning of every match. They also have another ability which gives all of their Clerics lifedrain. They have a third ability which gives them a card that doubles every Cleric they cast.

Righteous Paladin is a Cleric.

I was gaining so much life by the end of that fight I didn't even give a drat about the 14 burn counters I had.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Well, this elf ramp deck for VIP sealed may be light on fundamentals, but hopefully Crocosaur, Syyn, Sunsoul Pheonix, and Qutzul Gorecaster can get me through.

E: Went 2-2

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 30, 2016

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Well my sealed pull was utter poo poo but thanks to a no-show and the utter uninteractiveness of Set 3 limited, I managed to get 2 wins which is all I care about.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
If anyone wants to trade the new Croc/Minion for the old VIP Exarch/Tusker or Inquisitor/Gralk, let me know.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

So is there actually any form of multiplayer "party" play in the campaign mode as it currently exists?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it's frustrating to try to research it myself since as far as I can tell there's no frequently or consistently updated information page/wiki for Hex, and googling terms like "hex campaign multiplayer" leads to a scattering of preview pages and speculative discussion board posts since most of these features have been floating around as promises for literally years now.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

JerryLee posted:

So is there actually any form of multiplayer "party" play in the campaign mode as it currently exists?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it's frustrating to try to research it myself since as far as I can tell there's no frequently or consistently updated information page/wiki for Hex, and googling terms like "hex campaign multiplayer" leads to a scattering of preview pages and speculative discussion board posts since most of these features have been floating around as promises for literally years now.

Not that I've encountered yet. And yeah, finding any info. at all about the current PvE campaign is a pain in the rear end, every google search either leads to completely unrelated games or, like you said, speculative forum posts from months (or years) ago.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

POST 2 PREVIEW. If you have anything to add/change, let me know.

quote:

:siren:PvE content:siren:

Frost Ring Arena - This is the first piece of PvE content, a proof of concept released in 2015. You run it with your PvP deck and champion, making it pretty unique. In the arena, you will battle 15-20 rounds of opponents with a boss fight every 5 rounds. Additionally, you can randomly fight the dragon Uruunaz at any point in round 11-14 and 16-19.

When you first play the arena, you will have to go through the beginner rounds. Rounds 1-4 are fought against enemies with reduced health, and the general consensus is that once you beat round 5 once, you don't gain much by doing it again. Fortunately, once you beat it you are allowed to skip rounds 1-5 in all future arena challenges, and you should do so.

The most essential thing to know about the arena is that right now, the best thing that can happen to you is getting paired against Uruunaz, a rare spawn. An average arena run gives something in the neghborhood of 6900-9500 gold. Uruunaz gives you a bunch of cards, gear, and a whopping 100,000 gold, and a unique deck sleeve. This means that you want your deck to be able to reliably beat Uruunnaz because every time you kill him, it's like getting 10-20 arena runs worth of gold in one shot. There are no hard numbers on his appearance, but it's pretty, pretty, pretty low.

Each potential enemy you can face is described here: http://www.hexprimal.com/hex-frost-ring-arena-guide/
And here is a list of the potential gear you can find as drops in the arena: http://hextcg.com/arena-pve-card-and-equipment-guide/

Goon Decks to get you through the Arena.
These decks are good starting points, but the general rule of Arena is that you're aiming for high damage very quickly. Monoruby Orcs and Low-cost Dwarfbots are both very viable. Others have had luck with Cressida Majesty. If you're having trouble with any deck, ask in the thread and we can help you out!

Low Cost Robots - Grim
Grim Notes: As long as I have 1 resource and not too-many Scrap Welders in hand then I call it playable

Champion: Bertram Cragraven
4 Gearsmith
4 War Machinist (w/ Tinkerer's Robe equipment)
4 Construct Foreman
4 Electriod
4 Charge Bot
4 Mimeobot
4 Scrap Welder
4 Pterobot

4 Construction plans: War Hulk (w/ Hulk Helm equipment)
4 Constuction plans: Hornet bot

2 Hex Geode
9 Sapphire
9 Ruby

Mono Ruby Aggro
Champion: Poca
[ILL ADD THIS LATER]

Guilds are not currently implemented. However, if you need staple commons/uncommons, goons will be happy to mail you some for free if you tell us what you need. Just ask in the thread or PM a goon!

The CAMPAIGN

PvE is VERY fresh, so information about the Campaign is pretty slim. I'll update this part as we get more information. Currently the level cap is 9, with an eventual max of 30.
The Campaign starts with you creating a character. There are 8 races, each with their own special abilities, and currently 3 classes, with 3 more planned (Ranger, Rogue, and Warlock).
The races are Human (RSD, generic fantasy kingdom), Elf (RW, artsy fartsy), Orc (RB, noble brutes) and Coyotle (SWD, shamanistic humanoid coyotes) on the Ardent side. On the Underworld side, you have Necrotic (RSDB, undead), Dwarf (RS, mechanical tinkerers), Vennen (SB, spiderdudes) and Shin'hare (WB, feudal japan rabbits)

Your character starts out with a limited number of copies of each card able to be in a deck. As you level further, that cap goes higher, and you gain skills, which will grant your character more customization and deck options. If you want to read more on that, here's an overview of the Mage talent tree.

After a race-specific tutorial map, you're dropped into an adventure map, which is basically an overworld map. A network of paths and nodes, connecting cities, dungeons, etc and providing one-off encounters that you can replay.

From Ben Stoll of HXE:

"With Adventure Zones, towns and dungeons are now located on a full-fledged map of encounters that you explore one bit at a time, often making your own choices about which route to take or which corner to uncover first.

The Adventure Zone adds a ton of content. Depending on whether or not you conceptualize the multi-part encounters, faction only encounters, etc. as contributing to the count, you’re looking at between 35 and 45 unique one-off encounters to beat in addition to all of the dungeon fights.

On top of all the aforementioned one-off encounters, you’ll find NPCs to chat with, gates that require keys, and a couple of other special types of nodes on the Adventure Zone. One example is the Shroomkin Haus, which offers you the choice of one of three PvE cards, giving you a little moment of power in how you shape your collection."

"There are five repeatable Dungeons in Adventure Zone 1, each with their own unique characteristics, two of which are faction-specific. [... ]In total, AZ 1 yields 36 dungeon fights. Note that these counts don’t include what is technically the first dungeon (Crayburn Castle, which serves as a sort of tutorial dungeon) or the race-specific fights that you encounter there, as this is the only dungeon that is not repeatable.

The first time you complete each Dungeon with a given character, you will get a major quest reward, but every time you complete a dungeon you will earn gold and a Dungeon Pack: a pack of cards that is specific to that dungeon.

As such, you have both the ability to pick and choose what rewards you aim for. For those players that are hoping for a deeply replayable experience, rest assured you will be paid off for repeat dungeon runs."

HXE has lots of plans for dungeons and other content, and hopefully we'll see them sooner than later.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 31, 2016

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Yea if anyone ever finds a decent guide with info about the campaign I'd like to see it. Specifically about things like what cards are node specific and not found in packs, if there are any... stuff like that. For example someone mentioned the Nazhk Lookout is a guaranteed reward for one of the bridge quests, I assume it's underworld only.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

katkillad2 posted:

Yea if anyone ever finds a decent guide with info about the campaign I'd like to see it. Specifically about things like what cards are node specific and not found in packs, if there are any... stuff like that. For example someone mentioned the Nazhk Lookout is a guaranteed reward for one of the bridge quests, I assume it's underworld only.

I suspect one of us is probably going to have to write it.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Go RV! posted:

POST 2 PREVIEW. If you have anything to add/change, let me know.

I think that you only get to skip Tier 1 after you've got a perfect run on it, also I can't say how reliable low-cost dwarves are now that the AI makes fewer dumb mistakes (I mean it still makes plenty so it'll probably be fine) - other than that lookin' good!

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

Let this be our final battle!

Go RV! posted:

The most essential thing to know about the arena is that right now, the best thing that can happen to you is getting paired against Uruunaz, a rare spawn. An average arena run gives something in the neghborhood of 6900-9500 gold. Uruunaz gives you a bunch of cards, gear, and a whopping 100,000 gold, and a unique deck sleeve. This means that you want your deck to be able to reliably beat Uruunnaz because every time you kill him, it's like getting 10-20 arena runs worth of gold in one shot. There are no hard numbers on his appearance yet, but I would estimate it's in the ballpark of 5-10% of arena runs.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

That's a pretty sick joke to pull on new players (your odds are off by a factor of at least 100).

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I think Hex devs themselves have said the chance or encountering Uru is about the same as a Primal Pack, 2%, but it's been a long time since they introduced Frost Ring so I'm not positive on that.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
My sealed pool for VIP included two brood barons.

Spiders baby.

Edit: I got absolutely wrecked by perfect decks.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 31, 2016

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

JerryLee posted:

There is currently no party play, I googled that too yesterday.

It is planned, there will be raids with up to 2 friends (basically a co-op PvE dungeon?), and there is talk of a seperate 2v2 mode.

The next planned update is for Adventure Zone 2 which introduces the Ranger class, Mercenaries and Strongholds and raises the cap to 15 (unlocking the first level-locked race/class trait). No timeline, or when Warlock & Rogue will make it.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Went 3-1 in the VIP sealed. Opened a Syyn, a Golden Avenger, Duplicitious Duke, Martyr, Illjun's Parade and a bunch of good supporting cards for going Diamond/Ruby. Illjun's Parade with Major Ruby of Destruction or Unblockable is pretty nice. The vip cards though were my two Relic of Nulzaan combined with the unblockable gem and Duplicitious Duke. Because Duke makes a copy of the base card the Relic copies came out as 3/3s. The +1/+1 for socketing a minor gem applied to the base 2/2, even though the original card was only a 2/2 because of the unblockable gem.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dackel posted:

There is currently no party play, I googled that too yesterday.

It is planned, there will be raids with up to 2 friends (basically a co-op PvE dungeon?), and there is talk of a seperate 2v2 mode.

The next planned update is for Adventure Zone 2 which introduces the Ranger class, Mercenaries and Strongholds and raises the cap to 15 (unlocking the first level-locked race/class trait). No timeline, or when Warlock & Rogue will make it.

Yea I mean I would think that stuff might come after Set 4, but you guys are right there isn't a lot of definitive info out there - maybe a section of the new OP could collect what we know / expect for the future and when it might turn up (hopefully without using the word "Soon" :argh:)?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Grim posted:

Yea I mean I would think that stuff might come after Set 4, but you guys are right there isn't a lot of definitive info out there - maybe a section of the new OP could collect what we know / expect for the future and when it might turn up (hopefully without using the word "Soon" :argh:)?

soon™

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Does the campaign eventually let you make decks or am I just missing the options?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Karnegal posted:

Does the campaign eventually let you make decks or am I just missing the options?

After the "tutorial" finishes, when you reach the actual Adventure Map.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Karnegal posted:

After Crayborn, once you hit the Adventure map.

There's a talents button and a deck button in the bottom left.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

One thing I'm not sure I'm missing is whether or not there's any way to save and load different decklists in adventure mode. It seems as though there isn't; "Save" just sets it as your current deck that will be there when you go back to the adventure map (or when you log back in to your character).

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
There isn't, but it's pretty much the top feature request right now, so I assume it will be in sooner than later. I'd guess either in the PVE bugfix patch or with Adventure Zone 2, but that's pure speculation on my part.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Fair enough.

I have to say that despite my gripes (and there are several), I am loving adventure mode thus far. The mechanics and feel of exploring and progressing are pretty much exactly what I pledged for way back in the day, so at this point it's pretty much a question of whether they can keep expanding it up to raids and up to the planned level cap. If they can continue rolling out the features and content, they'll have me as a user for a long time to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Not having mercs and no Spectral Lotus/Oak at launch is really unacceptable to me and a lot of people seem to be giving them a free pass on things like that since they finally have something to play.

I've already went through the campaign three times, overall I'll say it's fun. However, they really need to start hitting at least 3 PVP sets a year like they've been talking about since set 1 and would also be nice to see A2 out before the end of the year. Not going to hold my breath on either of those though.

• Locked thread