Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I went to a local indie at Lorain County Community College once and watched a dude used barbed wire in front of about 50 people. So Cleveland is basically the hottest territory in the US.

I mean they did give us Johnny Gargano, it ain't all bleedin' for dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
They could always really stretch it and use Johnny Devine as his his dad, he was Havoc in TNA when he was in that terrible Serotonin stable.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jesus, even Lucha Underground promotes better than TNA.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fart blood posted:

Imagine Lucha Underground triples their viewership every week and leaps past TNA.

Don't tease me like that

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alain Post posted:

what would have caused that, better advertising? word-of-mouth?

I actually think Internet buzz helped. Pure speculation, mind.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Man, can we have a LU night on psp.tv? I liked the first episode that was shown on there and I don't get El Rey. And I'd rather watch this than TNA.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Only caught the main event (it's up in it's entirety on Youtube), but I enjoyed it. Wouldn't have felt out of place on a PWG show.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Suben posted:

That tag match was really fun. I kind of don't like Striker/Vampiro hammering home the "Sexy Star is fighting for all the girls" deal every thirty seconds but they've done a pretty good job of booking her as a good sympathetic babyface. Her and Fenix's dives near the end of the match were awesome.

On the other hand, it beats what the WWE does with their women wrestlers.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just saw that 3 way ladder match. Good stuff. I hope all this stuff comes out on DVD.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I can't wait until this show come sout on DVD. So glad it exists. Lucha Libre! (kind of)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Suben posted:

When the Authority finally goes away for real I want Dario as the new authority figure and for them to change nothing about him. Yelling everything, making belts out of aztec gold, all of it.

It would also be super progressive to have a Latino guy in charge. Never happened in a U.S. promotion since they started using authority figures, and the guy has charisma.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Angular Landbury posted:

Armando Estrada was GM of WWECW for a hot minute, wasn't he?

Edit: After a wikipedia glance, I am now utterly confused as to Armando's actual background and withdraw the question.

I wish they'd bring back Armando as a manager. Hell, put him with Itami when you call Itami up, sell him as Armando's new pain machine.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I decided to catch up on this, and if I'm watching this right, Dario Cueto is basically the Mexican equivalent of Mr. Han from Enter the Dragon?

Because if so, this is already the greatest thing in the history of the world.

That's actually a really good comparison.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I'm not sure yet if Big Zeke is meant to be O'Hara or Bolo, but I'm pretty sure Johnny Mondo is Williams.

I've only seen a couple of episodes but it is a lot of fun, Matt Striker making references to The Beyonder notwithstanding.

The best part is, it feels like a legitimate alternative to WWE, something TNA has tried so hard to do.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God episode 3 and Chavo running into people who appear out of the dark with a sinister TWAAAANG in the music :swoon:

One of the greatest achievements of this show is making me interested in what Chavo's up to again.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

It occurs to me that Brian Cage is actually Max from Streets of Rage 2

I love this comparison.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

Puma versus Cage tonight, get hype. (Probable main event for tonight, announced on Twitter, spoiled just in case anyone is super sensitive about such things).

Reports that they're looking to replace Vampiro since he sort of sucks and also cusses a lot, requiring post-production work: http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2015/0128/588966/lucha-underground-broadcast-team-issues/

He also always sounds like he couldn't care less about what's going on. I mean, for all of Striker's faults (and they are numerous), he'll try to engage Vamp by feeding him lines and it goes nowhere. This actually happened on a recent ep, I'm paraphrasing:

Striker: As a vet, how have things changed since you were a star in Mexico? (clearly putting vamp in a position to put over how exciting the newer guys are)
Vampiro: I dunno bro, things really haven't changed that much. (Probably looking at his phone)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

Chuck Taylor, El Rey Network turns its lonely eyes to you

I actually think Excalibur would be great for this gig (despite not being a big fan of lucha, they use a bunch of PWG's talent and he lives close to where they tape it).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I just looked up King Cuerno on wikipedia and he's only 5'11"? Holy poo poo, Lucha Underground dudes are tiny because I view Cuerno as pretty drat hossy for the promotion. Also, he has the best tope suicida in all of wrestling. It isn't even close.

It helps that he's ridiculously cut.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RZApublican posted:

Also Puma trying to stand between Vampiro and Konnan and utterly failing. If they are building up to a Konnan vs. Vampiro match in the year of our lord 2015, I'd watch it.

You'd regret that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Vampiro is apparently trying to make the city I live in safer (presumably by not wrestling, wakka wakka)

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/News/367356/Historic_moment

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I said it like five pages ago but I'll say it again: they really should have gotten Raven, he's a really loving good ring announcer.

Raven, well known for HATING spot monkeys, as color guy for a lucha show? Bad idea.

He'd still better than Vamp, mind.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

schweens posted:

Cage rules. Can't believe WWE let this guy walk

Morrison also seems like he's gotten better. Johnny Mundo is also the best name

I'm told Cage REALLY sucked in WWE, like by WWE jacked guy standards. He's also a walking muscle tear/wellness violation.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I really hope it's not Groon XXX.

Google him, I dare you.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Now they just gotta put Sling on Roku. I mean, if they put El Rey on there that'd be cool too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's already on Roku.

http://help.sling.com/#Installnow

Edit: Oh yeah and as of today, Sling is available to everyone now. Don't need an invite like the last 2 weeks.

You are a fine man, thank you.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Russo, if you gently caress this up for me.....

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd be shocked if they went away from spotfests. They aren't gonna sell the product by having Solar and Negro Navarro put on a 20 minute mat wrestling clinic. Although I certainly wouldn't complain.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Excalibur's none too fond of Lucha. He told a story once about how an unnamed PWG worker's shoot name rang a ball when he first booked him, and it turned out they traded tapes and the guy hosed him over and sent Lucha instead of what he promised, which pissed off Excalibur because he and I quite, "fuckin' hates Lucha". But maybe he'd do it since he's friends with a bunch of prominent talent there.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I do sometimes wonder about LU's profit model since El Rey probably cannot pay very much for the timeslot (they're in that stage of a cable network's life where at least half their commercials are for themselves.) I wonder how long they have before they have to start really paying off.

Don't forget, they also run on UniMas, which I'm sure gets them at least some revenue.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

he's done it a couple of times now and is a guardian angel in canada or some shiz

It's in Thunder Bay (northern Ontario), which is where I live (and where he was born raised, on a hockey rink was where he spent most of his days)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

I think you're pretty much on. Mil Muertes is Lucha Undertaker and Katrina is Lucha Paul Bearer except she licks everything and the stone is the urn

which I guess makes Fenix like tiny Lucha Kane

More like tiny lucha Mankind. Fenix and Mil aren't brothers, and Fenix has beaten Mil a bunch of times, just like Mick beat UT a bunch of times. Hell, you even have a manager who turned on the undead guy in both cases!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm sure Konnan has a big say as does Chavo, they're both "producers" in the credits.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wish LU happened earlier this decade so we could have Super Dragon vs Puma instead. Not that I dislike Cage, but Super Dragon is a lot of fun when he's ragdolling a little guy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Maybe he calls himself that because he won Kendrick's King of Flight tourney?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I want Manatzan to be Chessman.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I feel like LU is the kind of show that could benefit from an off-season dark period. Get people to anticipate its return like a regular TV show, since it's more or less presented like one. Do a big premiere and a big finale each season.

I'm of the opinion that wrestling in general could benefit from having a proper off-season. Less pressure to come back too soon, less mileage on the workers, creative has time to make plans and backup plans, etc.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Helter Skelter posted:

Someone mentioned wanting an idiot's guide to the main roster a couple pages back. Then I got bored at work and started writing. Then I roped in a couple other people. This is kind of a rough draft, I'd like to have video clips linked for everyone, and some of the clips I do have I'd prefer to replace with better/more recent ones if available. But anyway:

Who's Who in Lucha Undeground!

Significant characters who don't primarily punch people:

Dario Cueto
El Jefe. Owner and proprietor of LU, basically Spanish M. Bison. Refers to the warehouse set as his “temple”. He loves to create conflict in his roster. Sometimes it’s by making people who respect each other fight to a best of five for some nebulous “unique opportunity”, sometimes it’s by making three people who hate each other fight together on a Trios team. He’s a magnificent bastard you can’t help but love to watch. Proud owner of a cage monster. Not like, the wrestler Cage, a different cage monster.

Matt Striker & Vampiro
Matt Striker is the play-by-play announcer. He knows a lot about wrestling and is desperately excited that you know he knows a lot about wrestling. Vampiro handles color commentary. He’s wrestled for decades all over the world, including WCW, where he was in a stable with (not kidding) Shaggy 2 Dope and Violent J. Likes heels, loves to tell stories about all the dozens of people who have given him concussions. Drink when he says “brother”.

Konnan
A fifty year old baby. Also a lucha legend who wrestled all over the world. Konnan works as a kinda shady talent scout? or something? for Cueto and manages Puma and Hernandez. Has a fly as gently caress steel cane that makes sweet silenced gunshot noises when he clocks people with it.

Catrina
Former valet of Mil Muertes, current valet of Fenix. Licks people who lose which is like, super uncomfortable to watch because she’s gonna get MRSA. Potentially also a ghost, can definitely teleport.

Luchadores and Luchadoras:

Prince Puma
The silent protagonist and current Lucha Underground champion, Prince Puma is played by Ricochet, who is basically one of the best talents in the world. Puma was scouted by a fifty year old baby, and constantly has to balance Konnan’s needlessly Machiavellian bullshit and his own desire to be champion on his own two feet. On a Trios team with Mundo (his choice) and Hernandez (not so much).

Fenix
The Man With A Thousand Lives, Fenix is one of the most impressive luchadores on the roster with an incredibly flashy offense. Fenix is also dating? maybe? noted ghost(?) woman Catrina after defeating Mil Muertes. The feud between Fenix and Mil escalated into a loving fantastic casket match in which Fenix, after losing a somewhat worrying amount of blood, dunked Mil into a coffin with help from Catrina. After a team of doctors put all his blood back in, Fenix participated in the Trios tournament with Drago and Aerostar.

Mil Muertes
The Man of a Thousand Deaths, monster heel Mil Muertes was originally a terrified child trapped in the rubble after an earthquake hit Mexico City. Surrounded by his dead family, Mil Muertes embraced death, taking comfort in it. Mil used to have a valet, Catrina, but she jumped ship after Fenix pulled out a win against Mil, and that’s been the basis of the feud moving forward. Was recently stuffed into a casket by Fenix’s blood and interference by Catrina.

Son of Havoc
Best beard in the business, and a hell of a performer in the ring when he’s given half a chance. Loveable heel. Had a bit of a losing streak going after an initial (somewhat dirty) victory over Sexy Star. Dated Ivelisse briefly before ending the relationship in spectacular fashion during a match against Angélico. Did I mention he’s currently part of a Trios team with Ivelisse and Angélico? Dario Cueto is a spectacular rear end in a top hat. Signature move (unofficial): Mic drop into shooting star press from the turnbuckle.

Angélico
A very tall, very pretty man from South Africa who debuted and then was immediately tossed into a cringe-worthy love triangle angle with Son of Havoc and Ivelisse, and they all hate each other now. As a fun aside, they’re all on the same Trios team! Also looks like the sickest pro-BMXer older brother you never had.

Ivelisse
One of two luchadoras on the roster as of right now, Ivelisse is the self proclaimed “baddest bitch in the building” despite not winning all that often. Used to date Son of Havoc and got increasingly frustrated at his inability to win, leading to the most pro-wrestling breakup in history.

Big Ryck
Initially brought in as an enforcer by Dario. Enjoys flaunting California’s indoor smoking laws by puffing on a cigar on his way into the ring. Less so when it’s then jammed into his eye by the Crew. He’s a big guy who does big guy stuff and is pretty good at it. Heel status: hazy. Certainly not a nice guy, but he doesn’t seem to be one to gently caress people up without a valid reason (money is a valid reason). Big Ryck is currently on a Trios team that may or may not be called “The Fam” with his kayfabe cousin “the Mack” and a weird spindly comic book villain named Killshot.

The Crew
Comprised of Cortez Castro, Mr. Cisco, and Bael, the Crew is a group of mercenary street thugs formerly in the employ of Big Ryck. Now they work as Dario’s personal hit squad. Some of the heeliest heels that ever did heel, but drat are they fun to watch. They tend to do well as a group but are almost totally helpless individually. Castro is probably best at wrestling and Mr. Cisco is definitely the best at getting annihilated.

Johnny Mundo
Johnny Cage But With Better Abs. Has a sort of friendship/mutual respect thing going with Prince Puma, to the eternal annoyance of Konnan and Cueto. He also has a parkour background, as Matt Striker will continually remind you. Currently in a Trios team with Prince Puma and Hernandez.

Drago
A goddamn kayfabe dragon from hell. There was literally a video package about how the world’s last dragon reincarnated into a human body. Drago doesn’t talk and doesn’t have a lot of character development, outside of feuding with King Cuerno. Most recently, he won a best of five series with Aerostar 3-2, and was awarded a shot against Prince Puma. The catch? If he doesn’t win, he’s banned from the temple forever. Do I really need to reiterate how much of a spectacular rear end in a top hat Cueto is?

Aerostar
A flippy astronaut who is apparently tearing poo poo up in AAA. Also has never spoken, so character development is thin on the ground. Most recently lost a best of five against Drago 2-3, which is probably for the best considering Drago's "prize" for winning. Cueto also put Drago, Aerostar and Fenix on a Trios team together, leading to a spectacular implosion.

Sexy Star
Badass luchadora and a fan favorite. She can probably do a better job of giving her background than I can, so watch the promo linked with her name here. Cueto doesn’t like her and endlessly fucks with her matches, most recently by announcing that her match with Super Fly was Mask vs Mask just before the opening bell.

Super Fly
It’s hard to write much about Super Fly. He does flippy poo poo and he was put on a Trios team with Sexy Star and Pentagon, who lost. Cueto, never one to miss an opportunity to be a huge rear end in a top hat, booked Sexy and Super Fly in a Mask vs Mask match, which Super Fly lost. Then a skeleton ninja broke his arm.

Pentagón Jr.
A skeleton ninja with a black belt in rudo. After a while off TV and a new video package (not the one linked, unfortunately) detailing his embracing of the ~darkness inside men’s hearts~ or whatever, Pentagon started a frighteningly effective comeback, dedicating matches to an unseen “master” and snapping dude’s arms after the bell as a sacrifice.

King Cuerno
His gimmick is that he is a hunter, and this is communicated by his finisher being called the “thrill of the hunt” and wearing a deer headdress to the ring (presumably he powerbombed it to death). Recently challenged Puma for his title, and is leader of Cueto’s Rudo Supergroup in the Trios tournament, along with Cage and Texano. Drives a sweet truck.

Cage
A hyper-athletic steroid golem that screams about being a machine despite the fact cages are, in fact, not machines. Cage is the WWE incarnate: he wants the belt for no reason other than it will make him money and turbocharge his already large ego, and he will take it because he is loving ripped as hell, and he doesn’t give the slightest gently caress about your dumb lucha libre bullshit. Previously tore the smaller, lamer Lucha Underground Championship belt in half and wore it around his neck like a scarf. On Cueto’s All-star Heel Trios team with Cuerno and Texano.

Texano
Former AAA Megachamp and gay cowboy. After losing the belt to el Patron in December 2014, it seems like he just follows Alberto around and hits him with a bullrope. Currently working with Cueto’s Rudo Dream Team in the Trios tournament.

Alberto el Patron
On loan from AAA, and current AAA Mega Champion. Currently feuding with his rival from AAA, Texano, and gunning for the Lucha title because Alberto has crippling OCD about winning every title in North America. More well known in the US as Alberto del Rio, but you already knew that.

Hernandez
A very large man from TNA that was in the LAX stable with Konnan. He’s helped Puma defend his title (against Puma’s wishes) on a couple occasions, and is teamed up with Puma and Mundo for the Trios tournament, but he hasn’t actually had a solo match yet. Apparently a super unsafe worker, going by his work with other promotions.

Black Lotus
Literally a kung-fu movie character. Cueto’s cage monster KILLED HER PARENTS, and she’s out to AVENGE THEIR DEATHS with the MEXICAN MARTIAL ART OF LUCHA LIBRE. Has not actually appeared in the ring yet, but it seems kind of inevitable at some point.

This should be added to the OP.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If they're smart, and they seem to be, they'll play it off that the Crew broke her ankle somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Crew also understand that heels should be heels and not do the cool heel thing, which is good

• Locked thread