Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

he comes out right after the good title match and just destroys Puma with a series of insane power moves

he's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
TNA couldn't buy El Patron's friendship:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

rovert posted:

TNA couldn't buy El Patron's friendship:

hahahahah gently caress you dixie

On the bright side, the latest show here was loving amazing top to bottom. Has this show actually broken its streak of solid and enjoyable episodes yet?

Also, can someone get me a gif of the first telenovella scene where Fenix is talking with Dario, and then the camera pans back and that chick is just there, staring? Cracked me right up that one did.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Another Person posted:

Also, can someone get me a gif of the first telenovella scene where Fenix is talking with Dario, and then the camera pans back and that chick is just there, staring? Cracked me right up that one did.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602154&pagenumber=111#post440384669

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Cardboard Box posted:

that too. i think they're getting more actual fans showing up to tapings but i would bet there's still a fair share of plants

Another set of tapings goes down next weekend, so maybe we're closer to a tipping point? I know we'd all love to see a LU show where the bulk of the audience is totally on board with the product in an organic way.

In other news, El Patron's ROH debut aired this weekend. Welcome to the Year of Alberto Everywhere. :allears:

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
Does anyone actually know how to score taping tickets? I'm a little bit interested.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Nerokerubina posted:

Does anyone actually know how to score taping tickets? I'm a little bit interested.

They put out the call on their fb and twitter shortly before each taping. I think it's mostly due to there being limited seats and them trying to avoid spoilers getting leaked.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I decided to catch up on this, and if I'm watching this right, Dario Cueto is basically the Mexican equivalent of Mr. Han from Enter the Dragon?

Because if so, this is already the greatest thing in the history of the world.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I only watched the main from the last episode but I heard they established Brian Cage (or just Cage on this show, I guess) as a monster heel right away.

I like how they did it too. He comes out at the start of the show and has a cool match where everyone gets to do something neat (Angelico's dive over the post ruled) but in the end he's too much of a beast and destroys everyone for the win and it's good. Then he comes out at the end of the show after the title match, having already established himself earlier in the show as a monster machine, and destroys Puma. It was cool.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I decided to catch up on this, and if I'm watching this right, Dario Cueto is basically the Mexican equivalent of Mr. Han from Enter the Dragon?

Because if so, this is already the greatest thing in the history of the world.

That's actually a really good comparison.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's actually a really good comparison.

I'm not sure yet if Big Zeke is meant to be O'Hara or Bolo, but I'm pretty sure Johnny Mondo is Williams.

I've only seen a couple of episodes but it is a lot of fun, Matt Striker making references to The Beyonder notwithstanding.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm not sure yet if Big Zeke is meant to be O'Hara or Bolo, but I'm pretty sure Johnny Mondo is Williams.

I've only seen a couple of episodes but it is a lot of fun, Matt Striker making references to The Beyonder notwithstanding.

Vampiro gets better and better at shutting Striker up when he starts being retarded

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

The best part is, it feels like a legitimate alternative to WWE, something TNA has tried so hard to do.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The best part is, it feels like a legitimate alternative to WWE, something TNA has tried so hard to do.

Yea, this is what makes it so watchable for me

It's not like trying to gently caress around with pop culture or bring in celebrities and sports stars or trying to be anything other than a wrestling show

They manage to do a good job of making every one look good in the ring, the camera work genuinely feels different, the vignettes are great and the backstage stuff is unlike anything else in wrestling right now

Just a solid hour of good wrestling that doesn't take itself seriously and seems to appreciate the concept of campiness

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, this is probably what I most like about it so far - it feels like something different that isn't attempting to just emulate WWE (or has so little money that it looks low-rent), and even little things like the overhead camera shots help to differentiate it.

Plus those filmed telenovela style vignettes are the best.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Back in 2008 when the WWE was doing awful there weren't many alternatives.

Right now, there is so much amazing wrestling that's relatively easily accessible. We're really lucky to be wrestling fans.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Yuriy posted:

Yea, this is what makes it so watchable for me

It's not like trying to gently caress around with pop culture or bring in celebrities and sports stars or trying to be anything other than a wrestling show

They manage to do a good job of making every one look good in the ring, the camera work genuinely feels different, the vignettes are great and the backstage stuff is unlike anything else in wrestling right now

Just a solid hour of good wrestling that doesn't take itself seriously and seems to appreciate the concept of campiness

And even when they bring in celebrities, it's Danny Trejo just hanging out in the front row enjoying the wrestling. Everyone, from the wrestlers to the commentators to the fans, just seems to be having such a good time.

Also, I wish I knew the crowd's Spanish equivalent of chanting rear end in a top hat (cuerto?). It's another neat touch that feels homegrown.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there any news about whether LU is getting renewed or anything? LU is fuckin' great. :allears:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lumbermouth posted:

And even when they bring in celebrities, it's Danny Trejo just hanging out in the front row enjoying the wrestling. Everyone, from the wrestlers to the commentators to the fans, just seems to be having such a good time.

Also, I wish I knew the crowd's Spanish equivalent of chanting rear end in a top hat (cuerto?). It's another neat touch that feels homegrown.

Culero, if my Spanish doesn't fail me. Basically the same meaning as rear end in a top hat too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God episode 3 and Chavo running into people who appear out of the dark with a sinister TWAAAANG in the music :swoon:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God episode 3 and Chavo running into people who appear out of the dark with a sinister TWAAAANG in the music :swoon:

One of the greatest achievements of this show is making me interested in what Chavo's up to again.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I would travel to see LU live.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Is there any news about whether LU is getting renewed or anything? LU is fuckin' great. :allears:

The last I heard was that it's consistently blowing the rest of El Rey's programming away in terms of ratings, but there's still some question of whether it'll get renewed due to the cost of production. I dunno though, I feel like if the people that run El Rey are serious about getting the channel carried by more providers they need something to serve as a selling point, and LU's as good as anything they've got.

Dead Snoopy posted:

I would travel to see LU live.

The set is kind of a big part of what they do though, not to mention LA is a convenient hub point for both the local indie talent they use and the Mexican guys. I don't know how much interest they'd have in turning it into a touring show. Especially since it's likely the only reason they got John Morrison Johnny Mundo on board is because it tapes in LA, because it seems like he has no interest in performing very far outside the area anymore.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 19, 2015

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

The Spanish broadcast is on Unimas, a station with actual viewers, and the numbers are a lot better there even though it's on at a weird time. I'd imagine that showing LU on Unimas is one of the best ways they have to raise awareness of El Rey.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

They taped shows this weekend and Alberto was signed.
They'll almost certainly reach the full order of ~39 episodes.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

The last I heard was that it's consistently blowing the rest of El Rey's programming away in terms of ratings, but there's still some question of whether it'll get renewed due to the cost of production. I dunno though, I feel like if the people that run El Rey are serious about getting the channel carried by more providers they need something to serve as a selling point, and LU's as good as anything they've got.

The set is kind of a big part of what they do though, not to mention LA is a convenient hub point for both the local indie talent they use and the Mexican guys. I don't know how much interest they'd have in turning it into a touring show. Especially since it's likely the only reason they got John Morrison Johnny Mundo on board is because it tapes in LA, because it seems like he has no interest in performing very far outside the area anymore.

I'm good w/ that. I think the 'arena' and the perception of the atmosphere is what helps sell the product to me. I would make it a point to travel, get tickets and show up at the taping.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LU is, like Hoodslam, one of the things I'd go out of my way to do while on a trip to LA.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Lucha Underground is cool and all, but if you're going to visit the LA area for wrestling you should time it for a PWG show. :colbert:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What exactly is the relationship between LU and AAA besides the fact that some guys like Konnan work in both? I know it's not exactly AAA-US like many people referred to it as prior to launch. The discussion of the multiple companies Alberto works for and the potential complications in the ROH thread reminded me of this.

I wonder if Alberto's going to be billed as the AAA champ and carry the belt with him?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Thauros posted:

What exactly is the relationship between LU and AAA besides the fact that some guys like Konnan work in both? I know it's not exactly AAA-US like many people referred to it as prior to launch. The discussion of the multiple companies Alberto works for and the potential complications in the ROH thread reminded me of this.

Dorian Roldán, one of the AAA owners, is still billed as one of the LU executive producers on the Alberto press release. So yeah, AAA's still got skin in the game behind the scenes.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

So it's the Luchas...

...OF DEATH?!?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

So it's the Luchas...

...OF DEATH?!?

Dario Cueto spins in his chair to reveal he now has an eyepatch.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
All kidding aside, this week was my first episode, and it's such a breath of fresh air. The matches were great and the story lines made sense, even if they are a bit soap opera. Definitely enough to hook me to come back next week.

Puma King is Ricochet, right?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

CobiWann posted:

Puma King is Ricochet, right?

Yeah.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:aaa:

Holy poo poo I had no idea.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

LU is, like Hoodslam, one of the things I'd go out of my way to do while on a trip to LA.

Hoodslam is about 8 hours north of LA because it's in the bay area not LA and now i hate you

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jerusalem posted:

:aaa:

Holy poo poo I had no idea.

Ah, that's news to me too. No wonder he was able to do such insane flippies and be generally awesome in the rumble. Now I'm really glad he won it, guy deserves all the attention/popularity in the world for the crazy poo poo I've seen him pull.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Hoodslam is about 8 hours north of LA because it's in the bay area not LA and now i hate you

Whatever, I'd make the drive cause that's still like 20 hours closer than it currently is to me.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Maybe it's just because Ricochet is one of my favorite wrestlers in the world, but it always amuses me when people react with surprise when they find out he plays Prince Puma when they do like all the same spots and have the same tattoos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

They taped shows this weekend and Alberto was signed.
They'll almost certainly reach the full order of ~39 episodes.

I would love it if LU is successful despite being on a minor network, not touring, and having an actual offseason for their talent. It would basically prove what we already know: WWE runs their talent to death all over the globe because they're greedy as hell. I'd imagine LU can be successful with solid ratings, it seems easy to pack their arena every week and make a bit of cash through the tickets, LA is the perfect place for them to be based in, and I'd imagine it would just get cheaper in subsequent seasons with the arena/ring/technical stuff all sorted out, and the only real new expenses being the wrestling talent.

I've only caught the first episode rumble so far, but I'll stay tuned in and check it out.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Maybe it's just because Ricochet is one of my favorite wrestlers in the world, but it always amuses me when people react with surprise when they find out he plays Prince Puma when they do like all the same spots and have the same tattoos.

Yeah I've only seen bits and pieces of Ricochet, haven't really followed PWG or anywhere else he's wrestled, but I've seen enough legitimately insane spots that I'm always happy to see him cross my path.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 20, 2015

• Locked thread