Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ooh, intriguing! I'm in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh wow, things have already kicked into gear. Hey guys, how y'all doing?

Somber, I like to think that we know each other a little given how many mafia games we've played. And I think you know me well enough to know how I'm thinking about this game. I like the way you think so far and I think we share certain opinions about how to tackle this problem. I can't promise that I'll work with you forever and I'm not going to hide the fact that I want to win but how do you feel about working together for at least a little while? I think our strategy would click pretty well.

Byers, you instantly flipped your values based on one vote from an unaligned player. Are you really running that scared? I saw your season of Awful Survivor, you're better than that. I see no reason to believe a single word you've said so far in this game.

winv, you just won the Genius. I think it should be somebody else's turn.

merk, is your codeword THBEAST?

Hal/MMM/Pecota, hey guys I know you from the mafias! How's it going?

The rest of you, I've no idea who you are but I look forward to finding out! Here's hoping for a fun game! PS. Don't believe a word Byers says, he's spouting bullshit.

##vote winvirus

My word is two words mushed together, by the way. Have fun with that!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Somberbrero posted:

You offer a unique perspective to most games.

This is a nice way of calling me an idiot, isn't it? :saddowns:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Thanatosian posted:

Rarity, I find it interesting that you put forth what a snake in the grass Byers is, and then vote for winvirus. I suppose it makes sense from a "not wanting the guy Byers wants dead to die" perspective, but really, with so few votes already cast, it seems like it would make more sense for you to vote for Byers, start a bandwagon there.

I'm happy to switch my vote to Byers but there was already a vote on winv and the impression I had was that the two of them were forming an alliance so to me a vote for one is as good as a vote for the other. And I did mean what I said about Awful Genius, winv won a huge forums game just a few weeks ago by ringleading the entire game. I don't want to see that happen again because it's boring.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Somberbrero posted:

Thanatosian, I know you have no reason to believe me, but I'm serious when I say that my word is an actual real word that you have seen before. I'm a little confused at the inclusion of nonsense words.

On investigation my word is also an actual word! I just never heard it before :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

I switched when I saw someone start voting in a way that immediate makes me a target. You've played in games with me before and you're not stupid; you know exactly why I reacted like I did, and you're trying to play dumb here. You've decided you're in the group I said should not vote Somber; you think you can beat him in a game of wits, and can disguise that fact. To be honest, you're probably not wrong.

Just don't hide why you're attacking winvirus and me and siding with Somber behind falsities. You see an opportunity to remove several big threats back-to-back-to-back: winvirus, me, and likely merk like Somber wants. You just feel like you need to hide what you're really doing for public appearance's sake. I saw your season of Awful Survivor, you're better than that.

This is a sign of how her desires are at odds with her public words. Somber's posts pushed winvirus and me into a forced grouping, and she wants to see that grouping go away because it puts her in a better position. But what she's doing in her posts is trying to paint this in a way that makes her look less selfish.

You're really not paying attention to what I've actually said, have you? I'm not promising to go with Somber to the final 2 or be lifelong BFFs or anything. I don't even know if I can beat him or anyone in the codebreaking side of this game because we haven't had a real chance to get stuck in to it and see how it works. And you're wrong about merk, I'm open to hearing him out but he hasn't said anything yet so there's not really anything I can discuss there. And is my vote selfish? Of course it is. So is yours and so is winv's and so is Somber's. We're all here to vote in a way that will get us further in this game. I kinda thought that was so obvious it didn't need to be said.

And you clearly haven't seen my season of Awful Survivor because if you had you'd know it was actually Awful Big Brother, which just shows you're only saying words to make yourself look good without paying attention to what's actually true.

winvirus posted:

Rarity, if you sincerely believe "winvirus, you just won The Genius Game, it's someone else's turn" is actually valid reasoning, then I really don't know what to say.

It's my vote and I can do it what I want with it, Dad!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MildManeredManikin posted:

I would have but I think the UK is closed today

It's called having a job :sigh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

That's the problem; there's only an endgame if you don't try to solve the code. I'm not waiting for final two to try and solve the code, and as such I'm focusing on how I can work with other people to solve the code. You're focusing on how to play the social game to get to the final two, where you'll use whatever you've learned up to that point to try and win the final game.

The problem with this strategy is that you're relying on every surviving player to have revealed their words. Do you really expect that's going to happen?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

My strategy revolves around sharing with people, if not full words than at least information about words, yes. If you look at my initial strategy post, the less likely someone is to share information, the more attractive they are to me as a vote.

Except sharing information means nothing because it's meaningless info. I've already said a bunch about my word and there's still not a chance any of you will guess it. All you're doing is trying to gain allies by pretending to give them important info that doesn't actually matter.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Thanatosian posted:

Presumably, once things are private, Byers plans to share more in exchange for other peoples' information.

I mean, you should still totally vote to eliminate him, but this isn't really a good reason why.

The only information that matters is the word. Anything else is unverifiable. I could say to you 'it's a verb starting with S' and you would never be able to tell I'm lying because there are too many words that fit those conditions to test them all. You can be led on a wild goose chase and all I have to do is go 'Haha nope, keep guessing!'

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

For me, the location of a word is the most important fact to keep hidden.

Tell me more about how a 1 in 12 possibility is more valuable than a 1 in a gazillion possibility

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's always the possibility Nevermore put his word in a different location when he did that list and purposefully made the mistake to screw with the rest of us.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Somberbrero posted:

Rarity you are a liar and a charlatan :colbert:

You said you were going to drop me a line! I thought that meant you'd be contacting me :(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Somber, can you confirm the telegram I received from a 3rd party was from you please?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Somberbrero posted:

I can't speak to the veracity of its contents.

What was the last word of the second sentence of the final paragraph you sent me?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Somberbrero posted:

It was "boned."

Yeah, that matches.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Byers2142 posted:

While everyone's scrambling in the PMs to set things up, let's not let the thread die. Somber/Rarity, who's the mysterious third party you're talking through right now? Doesn't seem like it's that horrible to share who talks to whom, especially since it lets us track possible word sharing and find out who's likely close to getting all the words.

I don't want to say until I've talked it over with Somb and the other guy. I think it should be a group decision to reveal that. Plus, if I was close to getting all the words I wouldn't exactly announce it to everyone else, would I?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Thanatosian posted:

I'm just saying, merk is joining with them, and once I'm gone, they're probably going to go after you and Rarity next. You may want to protect yourselves in case of a tie by voting early.

Doesn't that mean we want to be voting later?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
##vote Byers

I'm Rarity and I approve of this message.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Somber, I'm going to contact you tonight so you talk to whoever you feel like.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Nobody wanted to talk to me today. I'm lonely :(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ActingPower posted:

Yes, I spoke with Thanos, Somber, and Rarity yesterDay. Yes, to a certain extent I was allied with them, which is what pains me so much that they crossed me like this.

I had nothing at all to do with this, by the way. I didn't know your word until right now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
##vote winvirus

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

winvirus posted:

Now, wouldn't you rather lynch someone whose word you don't know?

No

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
AP, MMM, it's up to you guys. Pick the side you think you have the best chance of winning with, I guess.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Power of Pecota posted:

It's pretty slimy to pretend ActingPower's on the sidelines here.

Considering he feels betrayed by me and Somber I'm not taking his opinion for granted.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is how winv plays these kinds of games. He picks on one person to ostracise and forms a gang against that person in order to manipulate the game. He leads from a culture of fear by making you think if you cross him you'll be the next to go and once he has the numbers he just rides roughshod over everything. If that's the kind of game you want to be involved in then vote Thanatos, if you want this to actually be a fun experience then vote winv.

And more particularly: Hal, he literally just got finished kicking your rear end in Awful Genius. Why are you doing it all over again?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ActingPower posted:

Okay, I misspoke. I did give one person your word, but 1) it wasn't a trade, 2) I gave it to them for free because 3) you promised them you'd give it to them, and you didn't. So that example only further proves that you're the guilty party here.

Yeah, that post was in relation to me after I told him I had his word. I immediately corrected Somber in private, I explained the situation and he realised he'd been a numpty. It was a misunderstanding, Somber wasn't trying to spread poo poo about you there.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

merk posted:

BACKSTAB

One too many letters there :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

merk posted:

I'm pretty sure Team Thanos has 10+ words now.

Now that Somber's gone I don't have a single word that hasn't been revealed in thread :sigh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

winvirus posted:

Hey, EXAKT, Rarity, could I get a letter from your guys' words too? I know this might not be making sense but I think I'm on the verge of an interesting strategy that could help things go smoothlier

What's the strategy? Tell me and I'll tell you a letter. Cause right now I have zero reason to give you that info.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Thanatosian posted:

And I don't suppose anyone has a guess left today to verify PoP's word?

I do.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
##vote Exakt

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
##vote merk I guess???

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hal Incandenza posted:

Does anyone know Rarity's word? I don't really hear anyone talking about Rarity at all...

Somber knew my word so I imagine it's spread.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

winvirus posted:

He was also your closest ally, wasn't he?

We never had any kind of official agreement in place and I didn't know he'd been talking to Hal on D2 so he was keeping things from me from the start.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

winvirus posted:

Rarity, did you give PoP your word?

Nope, he didn't give me his either. I only found it out when he revealed it in thread. I've mostly been trying to turn him against you :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Power of Pecota posted:

I have Rarity's word but nothing from Hal or merk.

...Godammit :lol:

Fine.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

winvirus posted:

hahahah you tried :thumbsup:

STOP STANDING IN THE WAY OF PROGRESS

I was only trying to protect PoP :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hal Incandenza posted:

PoP and I puzzled out a word allegedly from merk

Interesting, PoP claimed to me he still needs the same 4 words I need (ie. all of the unrevealed ones)

And so far I've talked to

AP/merk
Somber
PoP

• Locked thread