Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
November is here and Scotland still is too. As always, a lot to talk about in United Kingdom, politics, video games, war, the economy, video games, ebola, the weather, womens portrayals in video games, cooking shows, and the weather.

Now, as for why we're all here, mates, current events in United Kingdom. Here are a few of the hottest topics kicking about :

The final British soldier has returned from Afghanistan after 13 years of fighting.

Criminals, murderers, robbers, living in luxury in United Kingdom prisons with TV and video games and mobiles. Thoughts?
Link has photos of prisoners in their pants taking selfies

The mayor of Calais says Britain is a magnet for immigrants who are "prepared to die" for UK benefits. Thoughts?

The family of a British teen who died fighting in Syria along with Al Qaeda affiliated group Jabhat al-Nusra has paid tribute to him. Thoughts?

British export Combat 18 are taking Australia by storm. Thoughts?

A neat interview with a Nigerian student in United Kingdom

quote:

I’m not keen on British food – there’s almost no spice. Nigerian food is extremely spicy. We like lots of pepper, seasoning, thyme and onions, so when you eat Nigerian food you don’t forget it for a while.

In lighter news, sounds like the BBC 3 is going to be shut down. I don't own a TV myself but the license fee of 145.50 pounds for will likely not be lowered to reflect the loss of this channel that shows nothing but Family Guy and Taffic Cops. Thoughts?

Lastly, there is an important event for those in United Kingdom:

University of London is celebrating Stoic Week 2014 with a week of events in London, more info here

http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/stoicismtoday/stoic-week-2014-london-event-november-29th/

in honor I thought a juicy nugget of stoic scholarship that is a true treasure would be apt

Greek philiosopher Epictetus, who will be a focus of a talk by acclaimed Turkish scholar Sukin Yürdadsdik wrote:

quote:

How long do you put off thinking yourself worthy of the best things, and never going against the definitive capacity of reason? You have received the philosophical propositions that you ought to agree to and you have agreed to them. Then what sort of teacher are you still waiting for, that you put off improving yourself until he comes? You are not a boy any more, but already a full-grown man. If you now neglect things and are lazy and are always making delay after delay and set one day after another as the day for paying attention to yourself, then without realizing it you will make no progress but will end up a non-philosopher all through life and death. So decide now that you are worthy of living as a full-grown man who is making progress, and make everything that seems best be a law that you cannot go against. And if you meet with any hardship or anything pleasant or reputable or disreputable, then remember that the contest is NOW and the Olympic games are NOW and you cannot put things off any more and that your progress is made or destroyed by a single day and a single action. Socrates became fully perfect in this way, by not paying attention to anything but his reason in everything that he met with. You, even if you are not yet Socrates, ought to live as someone wanting to be Socrates.

In this crazy modern world of bad stuff like all the war, terrorism, catcalling, and treatment of women in videogames, a little perspective can help us remain sane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Just a reminder that this was in a law passed in 1911.

We've had four monarchs, 21 Prime Ministers, 25 elections, and 103 years to do that and we've still failed.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

I disagree

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Illegal cellphones are a thing in even the shittest and most horrendous jails. Do the alleged luxuries reduce costs and recidivism rates though?

I thought C18 were a government plant in the 90s to combat (or stir up and then make some arrests) domestic right wing terrorism? Worst case scenario is they all stay over there and become a moderate-right Australian party :haw::suicide:

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
All opinions are subjective and recognising that these subjective opinions can cause oneself and others happiness or pain and thus pursuing a path to cause the greatest amount of happiness is the mark of not being a sociopath.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There was a joke going around in the 90s that Combat 18 were 50% police and 50% MI5.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Guavanaut posted:

I thought C18 were a government plant in the 90s to combat (or stir up and then make some arrests) domestic right wing terrorism? Worst case scenario is they all stay over there and become a moderate-right Australian party :haw::suicide:

Hmm, sounds plausible.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

The Mail sees prisons as a mechanism to punish people. They have no interest in reforming criminals, because in their eyes a zebra can't change its granny-mugging hoodie-wearing stripes. The Mail won't be happy until prisoners sit in grey empty cells for 23 hours a day, with 1 hour spent in the gallows being beaten by good honest law abiding people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's some good news for Mail fans then, there's already a way to make prisons like that today!

It's easy, you just suffer a miscarriage of justice and refuse to falsely admit guilt. And the genius behind it is none other than the imitable Mr. Christopher Grayling and his revised Incentives and Earned Privileges (IEP).

http://prisonuk.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/the-scariest-prisoner-innocent-one.html

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

winegums posted:

The Mail sees prisons as a mechanism to punish people. They have no interest in reforming criminals, because in their eyes a zebra can't change its granny-mugging hoodie-wearing stripes.

Well the Mail is correct you can't change your skin colour.

The Thatcher government did look into solitary confinement for IRA prisoners but decided against it because treating prisoners as human beings had way better results. However with private prisons and the increasing disorder caused by under investment, cost cutting and overcrowding it probably won't be too long before the profitability necessity of solitary confinement gets raised.

Edit:

Guavanaut posted:

There's some good news for Mail fans then, there's already a way to make prisons like that today!

It's easy, you just suffer a miscarriage of justice and refuse to falsely admit guilt. And the genius behind it is none other than the imitable Mr. Christopher Grayling and his revised Incentives and Earned Privileges (IEP).

http://prisonuk.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/the-scariest-prisoner-innocent-one.html
Welp, I guess it was already done on the quiet. This is worth reading and the comments are good too.

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 1, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The situation of prisons in this country is a loving criminal disgrace and those responsible should go down themselves for a long time.

Of course, as the diminishing resources and increasing brutality create ever more jaded and hardened ex-cons, the excuses for creating a more brutal system still only intensify.

We could take a good look at the evidence for rates of recidivism and so on under different systems and policies, research the factors that engender crime, and mix that with how as the arbiters and executors of justice we are supposed to be better than criminals, but nah sod that, loving crucify them.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I've always been a fan of replacing the house of lords with a chamber chosen by sortition; but that would require radical constitutional reform of the type that's never ever going to happen.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

The situation of prisons in this country is a loving criminal disgrace and those responsible should go down themselves for a long time.

Of course, as the diminishing resources and increasing brutality create ever more jaded and hardened ex-cons, the excuses for creating a more brutal system still only intensify.

Agreed 100%, prisons shouldn't exist to punish people and the people responsible should go to prison to be punished.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Yeah this is crap. There is very little luxurious about prisons - those with mobile phones etc. have them by smuggling them in it's not like they get issued an iPhone 6 as they pass through reception. As with any group of human beings you get the odd idiot who thinks it's funny to pose for photos in their cell, and you get the ones who still try and run an empire from within prison. Of course with less and less staff this is just getting worse and worse.

To be honest, anyone who thinks prison is luxurious is living a very sad and depressing life outside. Especially these days, prisons are actually getting much more dangerous, both for staff and offenders. Prisons are poo poo, but using them as a punishment clearly doesn't work. I truly believe it is necessary to separate some individuals from society for a period if they post a danger or threat to others. However it's really loving hard to rehabilitate them when there are few resources and 'flavour of the month' from whatever government is in power isn't necessarily anything to do with evidence.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah all the mobile phones in the world don't change the fact you're in prison and prison is a really lovely place to be! I strongly recommend avoiding spending any time there if at all possible!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Burqa King posted:

Agreed 100%, prisons shouldn't exist to punish people and the people responsible should go to prison to be punished.

Almost like it was a facetious expression of frustration :ssh:

e; hahaha, look at what Christopher 'loving Inbred' Grayling is up to right now in my city. We don't have enough pressure on the prison system already, no sir! http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29859758 not that labour is any better apparently.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 1, 2014

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

African AIDS cum posted:

In lighter news, sounds like the BBC 3 is going to be shut down. I don't own a TV myself but the license fee of 145.50 pounds for will likely not be lowered to reflect the loss of this channel that shows nothing but Family Guy and Taffic Cops. Thoughts?

Meanwhile, Dad's Army was on BBC 2 last Saturday night, for fucks sake. This is an organisation that once had the balls to produce The Young Ones, putting a 50 year old show in a primetime Saturday night slot.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 1, 2014

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

winegums posted:

The Mail sees prisons as a mechanism to punish people. They have no interest in reforming criminals, because in their eyes a zebra can't change its granny-mugging hoodie-wearing stripes. The Mail won't be happy until prisoners sit in grey empty cells for 23 hours a day, with 1 hour spent in the gallows being beaten by good honest law abiding people.

I like to think Mail readers' opinions are a reflection on themselves, highlighting their great hypocrisy. They don't believe that people are redeemable, and that threat of punishment is the only way to prevent crime. What does it say about themselves, that threat of punishment is the only thing they can think of that would stop someone committing a murder? It's no wonder many of them appear sociopathic in their attitudes to people who aren't them. What they call morality is actually nothing other than obedience.

vvvv typical pandering nonsense from the Tories. Where's the evidence that the caution system isn't working? My favourite (most terrifying) part is where victims get a say in the punishment. If media interviews after high profile murder cases have taught me anything, it's that victims are the most unbiased, clear-thinking, and qualified people to dish out punishment.

Bonus content: Judge challenges Grayling with language I'm told it's very strong for a judge (he calls him an immoral c***t in judge speak).

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/oct/31/government-washing-hands-legal-aid-chris-grayling

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 1, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mister Adequate posted:

e; hahaha, look at what Christopher 'loving Inbred' Grayling is up to right now in my city. We don't have enough pressure on the prison system already, no sir! http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29859758 not that labour is any better apparently.

quote:

The overhaul of what are known as out-of-court disposals will mean cannabis warnings, community resolutions, penalty notices for disorder, simple cautions and conditional cautions would be replaced by the new two-tier framework.

quote:

This could see them offering a verbal or written apology to their victim, paying compensation or fixing damage.
So in the case of cannabis warnings you write an apology to the plant? :psyduck:

I don't think they have fully thought this one through.

e: Ohh, wait, what if you wrote it on a rolling paper? I think I get it now.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 1, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

EvilGenius posted:

vvvv typical pandering nonsense from the Tories. Where's the evidence that the caution system isn't working? My favourite (most terrifying) part is where victims get a say in the punishment. If media interviews after high profile murder cases have taught me anything, it's that victims are the most unbiased, clear-thinking, and qualified people to dish out punishment.

Evidence? I don't know if you read what the Right Honorable gentleman said. It isn't right that so many minor offenses are dealt with with a warning. Check and mate.

Also I will be the first to admit, if someone harmed my loved ones, my attempts to be evenhanded would go out of the window and I would call for public flayings. That is why criminal justice should be evidence based and handled by impartial magistrates, not an argument for victims to have more say.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Prison: a life of luxury if you're a working class burgler, a horrendous draconian thing every time some rich fucker gets sent down for Nonceromancy.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

Almost like it was a facetious expression of frustration :ssh:

Indeed, but when daily mail readers say we should lock people up we jump down their throats. Perhaps we have more in common with our opponents than we'd like to admit.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Gulags for Tories and UKIP Voters.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Burqa King posted:

Indeed, but when daily mail readers say we should lock people up we jump down their throats. Perhaps we have more in common with our opponents than we'd like to admit.
We should lock up the people responsible for the current state of the prison system in a humane prison with plenty of opportunities to better themselves and learn useful skills that don't involve loving other people over.

I see no hypocrisy there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Meanwhile, people in Dundee decided they did not want to pay Holyrood's 5p carrier bag tax and started walking off with the baskets. Asda have now fitted security tags to the baskets, presumably in the hope that these enterprising souls will start doing their entire monthly shop in one go and steal the trolleys instead.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Cautions are poo poo, show up on a CRB check until you are 100 years old. I have one for possesion of an offensive weapon which was bullshit but I just wanted to get out of the nick and was befuddled. Its led to a few interesting conversations with employers and of course just being ditched the moment anything comes up.

These days I just tick the 'nothing to disclose' box and hope for the best.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

Meanwhile, people in Dundee decided they did not want to pay Holyrood's 5p carrier bag tax and started walking off with the baskets. Asda have now fitted security tags to the baskets, presumably in the hope that these enterprising souls will start doing their entire monthly shop in one go and steal the trolleys instead.

Truly this is terrible news for the SNP and this has been a horrible week for them.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

EvilGenius posted:

Meanwhile, Dad's Army was on BBC 2 last Saturday night, for fucks sake. This is an organisation that once had the balls to produce The Young Ones, putting a 50 year old show in a primetime Saturday night slot.

Yeah! They should be putting one on that's 30+ years old instead! After some poking around - Dad's Army was first broadcast on a Wednesday, The Young ones on a Tuesday. I'm not sure the Saturday primetime slot is as exciting as you think it is.

Maybe there's been a renewal of interest in Dad's Army after the new film was announced?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

We should lock up the people responsible for the current state of the prison system in a humane prison with plenty of opportunities to better themselves and learn useful skills that don't involve loving other people over.

I see no hypocrisy there.

Sounds a bit like workfare to me

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Prison: a life of luxury if you're a working class burgler,

Isn't a burgler part of the capital class almost by definition, living off the labour of others

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

Isn't a burgler part of the capital class almost by definition, living off the labour of others
Its going to become my part time profession soon unless I can find some actual part time work. Dont worry, i'll donate 10% to Oxfam.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

KKKlean Energy posted:

No because they actively go out and take things rather than using private property they legally own and the social situation arising from that to extort surplus value from others.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

Its going to become my part time profession soon unless I can find some actual part time work. Dont worry, i'll donate 10% to Oxfam.

Another socialist tax evader :rolleyes:

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

I was thinking more robin hood except i keep most of the money.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

These people make me so very very angry.

Millionaire landlords evicting families

quote:

Britain’s most controversial landlords, Fergus and Judith Wilson, whose property empire extends to nearly 1,000 homes in Kent, have begun evicting families with more than two children, banned tenants on zero-hours contracts and thrown out extended families where the grandmother comes to stay.

Last January, the Wilsons sparked a national outcry after it was revealed they were evicting anyone on housing benefit. They sent the eviction notices to 200 tenants, saying they preferred eastern European migrants who defaulted much less frequently than single mums on welfare. They said at the time that the move was purely an economic decision and was entirely legal as landlords do not have to give a reason before obtaining a possession order on a home.

But, in a bizarre twist, the Wilsons have begun evicting many of their eastern European tenants – because they are having too many children. “I have taken the decision to evict all families with more than two children and also three-generation households,” said Fergus Wilson in a statement sent to the Guardian...

ALAB

(Except mine, who are quite nice really apart from being my landlords)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Robot Mil posted:

These people make me so very very angry.

Millionaire landlords evicting families

ALAB

(Except mine, who are quite nice really apart from being my landlords)

I find it a bit weird that they are writing to the Guardian to tell them what horrible things they are doing.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jedit posted:

Most ASDA trolleys automatically stop once you get a certain distance from the shop, though. They've already got that one covered.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

Seaside Loafer posted:

This is going to be you, isn't it?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I find it a bit weird that they are writing to the Guardian to tell them what horrible things they are doing.

Sociopaths often like to boast about their crimes to boost the misery they inflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

KKKlean Energy posted:

Burglars are part of the lumpenproletariat. Where they stand depends on which theory you follow.

• Locked thread