Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Box is a good item and great if you get it early. If it's bad it's only bad in the sense that an HP upgrade is bad when you have like 10 hearts and you need damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

As crazy good as the D6 may be, Cain will always be my default. Never having to worry about pills and almost always winning games of chance is matvelous.

Well, if I get an arcade my current run time will extend by 20 minutes.

I like Cain because while I like Isaac and Judas, Cain doesn't start with a really good spacebar item like those two do so I wind up with more varied runs.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

And consider that there is likely to be DLC for this game. Imagine how big it's gonna be then.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

RatHat posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's still a smaller download than the original.

I mean in terms of items and variance in runs.

The only thing is I hope they don't add more levels vertically because I think the game is at the right length right now. Any more floors downward would just be overkill but if they added more "alternate" floors like Necropolis to Depths, it would be cool. Like maybe if you're super unlucky you'll get a real nightmare floor and be wishing you just got necropolis.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

SuicideSnowman posted:

I never got why people hated the Curse of Darkness so much. Do you really rely on the minimap that much? I rarely look at it other than to see where a secret room might be. All that curse means to me is that I might not be getting the secret room on that floor.

It's really annoying especially if you have items like Compass and Treasure Map that will help you plan where to go. But to me XL floors are the worst, as they limit your access to shops and devil deals and secret rooms. Curse of the Lost on early floors is actually beneficial.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

So far I think this game is fantastic. They really outdid themselves on this one, I'm amazed by the amount of content I am seeing. And WOW what in god's name was that mega boss room I just did after the Mom fight??? Unbelievable!! They never stopped coming!! Until they did. :D

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

The Head Trauma challenge is loving horrible. Aiming your shots is a bitch and you have neither dps nor single hit damage.

I lucked out big time and got the detonator plus Pyro which let me fight the whole run using bombs.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Finally beat that god drat bean challenge. Thank you very much Guppy's Head and Bob's Brain for helping me survive a "bombs are key" disaster and pull through.

I will never, ever do that challenge again.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 7, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

How do I unlock Cellar and Necropolis? I got Catacombs but I don't know how, it was after a boss. Do I just beat all the bosses of a floor or something?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I went to my friend's tonight and we played Isaac together. And I found a GLITCH!!!! I can tell ya'll how to win challenge #8, the guppy's hairball one, real easy. But only read this if you want to do it. And yeah I'm sure others have found this but it was fun to find it by chance. So ONLY READ THIS IF you want to cheat.

basically when the second player comes in for whatever reason their familiar spawns with like 5 spirit/evil hearts. But it only takes one from you. When they leave, you get them all back!!!! So you can always be at full health. So we played that challenge together. I did as much of it as I could legit but since I found that I just decided to go through with it. And I beat suicide king later which is my favorite challenge so don't yell at me

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Found yet another GLITCH!!!! in a challenge but don't think it's related to the challenge. In the cards challenge I bought PHD and also the pill-room item, and then my deck started giving me pills instead of cards. They were all garbage too like "range up" or "i found pills" but the challenge was easy so I won anyway.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Yeah you have to kill the small one first on Gemini. And watch out!! Cause the cellar is a bitch(love the music though). In my opinion it's the toughest alternate floor relative to its counterpart. So you might want to complete some challenges and such while you're guaranteed basement.

edit: Also, am I the only one who thinks the soundtrack on rebirth is by far superior to the first one? My sister was telling me how terrible the music was but I think it's mostly really good! The first one was ok but not great.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 9, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Head posted:

Just got a Satan kill with Ipecac. Does anyone else think it's been buffed ever so slightly? It seems to hit you less and also fly over the heads of enemies less as well

Explosion damage radius feels a lot less intuitive in this one. In the first one it was real easy to tell where any explosion was going to hit you or blow something up, this one less so, for better or worse but mostly worse in this case. But yeah you can shoot it straight at enemies more in this I think too, which I'm thankful for otherwise Suicide King challenge would be pretty much impossible.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Also if you make it to the boss rush room you're likely to have a good amount of power behind you. The one thing though in that room is to take down Carrion Queen ASAP when it comes in, otherwise it will leave red poops around for you to step into through the rest of the bosses.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The womb is such a terrible and annoying floor now for a couple reasons. One is that the enemies that go into the ground can now come back up right under you, which is just cheap and stupid. Secondly, lots of the enemies leave red creep on the floor which is red, and it's hard as hell to see. So annoying, this is my least favorite floor in the game and for the wrong reasons. It would be fine if not for these two stupid things.

The worst are those chained guys, who randomly leave a single spot of hard to see creep where they die.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Weird, because too me these guys make the Womb way more tolerable. Any room with them seems to have them spawn and nothing else. Since they can't actually reach you its not dangerous at all.

Oh yeah they're easy as hell, I'm talking specifically about the tiny spot of creep they leave when they die. It's usually an issue when there's other enemies in the room too and I end up killing it first, then I run over its creep that I can't see while running away from the other enemies. If it weren't for the fact that I couldn't see it I'd have no problem with it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Zoness posted:

Well, getting spirit of the night as eve is certainly pretty neat, totally worth going to 0 health:

How does goat head work if you dont' pick it up in a devil room - does it affect the likelihood of getting angel rooms as well as devil rooms?

What's the full explanation on angel room and devil room mechanics? My vague understanding is something about avoiding damage increases the likelihood of a devil room and rejecting devil deals increases the likelihood of an angel room?

You can still get angel rooms with it, I did in a recent run.

But basically the way it worked in vanilla was if you didn't take red heart damage on a whole floor then you have 100% chance of a deal. If you just don't on the boss, then you have a chance too just not as big. There's also items that increase your chance. But if you get it on one floor then the next floor you have a reduced chance by like 1/4th.

With the angel rooms you need to get a chance at a devil deal first then turn it down. Then your next devil deal has like 50% chance of an angel deal.

I think Goat's head, along with a couple other items, shows up a bit too much for how powerful it is.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 10, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I was really excited about beating mom's heart in the suicide king challenge before I saw the light leading up to the cathedral.

I wasn't excited after that.

I had this happen to me in the family man challenge and lost on Isaac :(. I had so many familiars following me too it wasn't funny I thought for sure I would win. Along with the three I start with I had dark bum, ghost baby, little steven, and little gish. But it wasn't enough I didn't make it to Isaac with enough HP. I also had Krampus' head plus a 48-hr energy but I used the pill on mom's heart thinking it was the end!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Loving the OST now that it was finally released.

The fight music is all awesome when you can listen to it and not spend every bit of your energy going "gently caress! gently caress! FUUUUCK!" as you dodge attacks.

Yeah I really like it too I think it's way better than the first game's music which surprised me because my sister was saying how terrible it was. Cellar theme is especially cool.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sanctum posted:

I think I'll play hard to unlock the remaining items and then never again. Having a single key drop through all of the basement, caves, and depths is bullshit and unfun. There's some satisfaction in clawing your way to a victory despite the game screwing you, but getting cool items is what keeps the game varied and fresh.

I agree hard mode is just annoying. If they would up the drop rate slightly I think it would be more fun. There should be a happy medium between the ridiculously good drop rate in normal and the absolutely horrible one on hard. Vanilla Isaac I think had a consumable drop rate that was pretty much perfect.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I've unlocked Lost(didn't take long at all really!) but I doubt I'm going to cheese it with the cat thing, I'll just wait till it's fixed. It seems like something that would be fun to try after exhausting the other content. And I bet getting late into that will be tense as gently caress, which are my favorite kind of runs in Isaac.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

RoboCicero posted:

I agree 100% with this. I have no idea how to beat Mask of Infamy quickly with regular tears -- the 2nd form moves quickly enough that the you only have a small window to hit it when you strafe around it and since the window's so small you end up missing 90% of your shots anyhow. It's a bossfight where you figure out the right strategy in seconds but you just end up going in circles landing one shot every five seconds.

You don't actually have to even get behind the thing though, you can strafe it and hit it from the side. When you find the right point where to stand it isn't tough at all. But a tough fight if you don't have good speed cause if the Mask gets near you you gotta get away from it. I like Mask of Infamy fight personally.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Not a Children posted:

gently caress pills forever. Had 4 straight runs ruined by pill gambles. Never again.

My policy on pills is I always take them when I get them on the first floor or two. After that it depends on how I'm doing. If my run is kind of on the fence then I'll take them later to try to get something good like tears up.

"Tears down" on floor one though, is almost always a restart. I'll usually finish the floor but if I don't get something totally amazing I am not going through with it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Arrrghhh had a legit Mom's Heart kill with Lost but died simultaneously on a blast from one of those god drat blood clots!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Alkydere posted:

The game is honestly really good about that and should award you the Mom's Heart kill.

I just checked and it did!!! Awesome. But I could have made it all the way on that :( goddamn bullet hell nonsense.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Is there any way to always avoid Isaac's big beams of light attack? Sometimes the lower corner is safe, sometimes it isn't.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I guess I'll only play Lost on hard. I can't see it being that big of a deal, since with his flying ability he can overcome some of the consumable woes you have on that mode.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Wish I wasn't the biggest choker at this. Had boss rush mode with Lost on hard, mom's knife with good damage, was coasting through the mode and of course champion Bloat catches me in the corner with an Ipecac shot. Ugh. The one part of the fight I could realistically lose to, and of course I do just that.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Kawalimus posted:

Wish I wasn't the biggest choker at this. Had boss rush mode with Lost on hard, mom's knife with good damage, was coasting through the mode and of course champion Bloat catches me in the corner with an Ipecac shot. Ugh. The one part of the fight I could realistically lose to, and of course I do just that.

NOT THIS TIME THOUGH!!! Managed a Chest win on hard with this thing :D

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Kooriken posted:

Bloat is just an rear end in a top hat no matter what. Not your fault you got hit by one of the 500 bullshit ways he could kill you.

I actually love that boss, the damage was my bad. I shouldn't have hung out where I did. That's why Lost is my favorite character in this. One false move, and you're dead!!! Unless you have some helpful items. My only problem with Lost is that it can take a while to get the ball rolling cause I don't like to continue with one unless I get a real solid first item. If I could change one thing about it I would greatly narrow the drop pool of only the very first item room. But after that all bets are off.

With Bloat you always stay behind him or just not straight in front of him or right across from him. And be patient. If it hadn't been the champion version I would have beat him and more than likely the mode.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I just let him blast me in the face with his blood laser

Man you might have had a good run there. Krampus' head as Lost is pretty huge letting you obliterate bosses and troublesome rooms, plus you get Krampus out of the way early and all future devil deals will be the real thing. Krampus really doesn't have that much HP so beating him with base damage is feasible.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I had a good Lost run destroyed by not thinking and picking up Fetus. Just threw up my hands and suicided in the next room. What a terrible item that is now.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

A good way to get around the terrible damage of Mr Fetus in Demo Man challenge? Get mom's knife on a devil deal!! And coast to victory :D

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Stokes posted:

Wanna start this post off by saying Eve stinks on ice. To end on a positive note I picked up the 3 dollar bill and it gave me scythes before having them unlocked. That was cool.

I think Eve is really good now that her Whore of Babylon effect activates at one heart. There's tons of tinted rocks on early floors so once you get the spirit heart drops just lower your HP to one and steamroll the game.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

edit: Wrong thread!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Normal throws spirit hearts at you like halloween candy so when I'm playing that I play pretty loose with Devil Deals. Angel rooms are a little better in this but still substantially worse overall than devil deals since they have less damage items floating around.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Mask of Infamy is literally faster than my tears and I have no bombs so I can't kill it. Good boss.

Yes you can, hit it from the side.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Logan 5 posted:

I had a Lost run going where I had the Holy Mantle AND Dead Cat, as well as near full damage scythes going. I beat Mom and in trying to dodge her last attack I instantly picked up the Polaroid.

I've already beaten the Chest with the Lost :smithicide:

One thing I hate in this is how the items will spawn right on top of you after a boss fight and you pick it up. Really screws over an Options and/or reroll situation.

My own fortunate scenario happened this evening on the Waka Waka challenge. Had poo poo damage drops and devil/angel rooms, was rolling with 4 HP but got deep, though figured I would lose on Mom, considered restarting. Last two shops were Greed and Super Greed(so couldn't use money) and was on Necropolis 2, but that floor's shop yielded THE BIBLE!!! So I won.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Except you can get The Lost unlock and achievement with seeded runs, it seems. But only that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Nastyman posted:

Alternatively, Blank Card + Ehwaz/Shovel + Battery :v:

Would that still work, just skipping past all the floors for free X-boy achievements? Or do you need to actually engage the boss?

It doesn't, since it triggers after you beat the boss and not after you pass the level.