Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

flatluigi posted:

there's a few mods i have that are just "i'm gonna look this up anyway so just tell me" sort of mods and one of them puts a cheatsheet for what the dice do in every dice room

if you've got a poo poo memory like me i highly recommend installing a bunch of info mods like that

Which ones are you using? I tried installing this one but it just bugs the menu and/or makes the game crash. (I don't have +, just AB)

e/ just realised I messed up and downloaded the wrong version, I'll give it another go later.

Wildtortilla posted:

I broke the game in a whole new way for me: summons. I'm definitely turned into guppy, and maybe also Bezelbub, I'm not sure on that. I can summon armies of giant blue flies very easily with Guppy's Head. I also have meat boy running around and a rider courtesy of 7 seals. So that's all insane and just that combo obliterated It Lives within moments of entering the fight, I didn't get a chance to fire one of my ridiculous tears.

I keep getting Tammy's Head as Azazel lately, which is absolutely gamebreaking because you can nuke every room and one-shot every boss before Satan/Isaac, and clearing the room recharges it instantly. It's ridiculous :allears:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Wildtortilla posted:

Man that run was awesome. I am working on challenge 4. I was so stupidly powerful thanks to a Mrs. Mega bomb. It cleared the next to last floor for me, so efficiently that I opened the path to Hush after obliterating It Lives. I didn't know what it was and thought it was part of the challenge so I went through the wall and essentially forfeit an otherwise won run. :(

Similar boat, I messed up Pride Day last night by trying to do the boss rush after beating Mom, because I didn't realise Afterbirth changed it from being a fixed-pattern cakewalk to fifteen rounds of randomised pain.

I hate Turdlings *so much*

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Beat ultra greed for the first time last night :toot:

Started as Isaac, ended up getting dead onion, 8 inch nails, and a ridiculous number of damage and range up items. By the end my tears could go all the way across a double wide room without landing. Dead onion especially was really helpful for dealing with the crowds of enemies you get in greed mode because with piercing tears the front row of enemies can't tank for the rest.

Wildtortilla posted:

I just unlocked the d6 and I'm very excited to see what shenanigans I can get into now that Isaac is starting with it.

Having recently unlocked it myself, I'll say it's sometimes a life saver but it's easy to get burned by hubris when you decide to reroll an item that's okay but not awe inspiring, and then it turns into something even worse like the bean or the poop.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The ridiculous number of pickups you get really does make XL trivial. When I played I got a bunch of bomb improvements and ended up blasting every boss to death.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Pretty sure it's saved as soon as you exit to the menu screen, at that point you could kill the process and it should still be fine?

I don't see why this would be different for Switch, if it didn't save at that point you wouldn't be able to resume by going to the continue option without quitting the game.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Does the skull hat (or whatever it's called) also make it you immune to various exploding tears like ipecac and fire mind, or just bombs and exploding enemies?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just beat the lamb for the first time, finished the run with 17 damage per tear and some ridiculously high fire rate. Everything in the dark room just melted.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just finished a cakewalk of a run with Tech X and a lump of coal, and beat my first boss rush as of afterbirth :toot:

Just spamming fear laser rings and nuking everything, good times. Really need to work on my angel room/sacrifice room game though, if I want to get to mega satan. I did manage it on PS4 ages ago

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I have 125 hours in and still haven't even gotten to Mega Stanley let alone beat him. Does anyone have a reliable method or do I really just have to keep beating my head against that wall until I finally break through?

Literally the run after I posted that I got mutant spider on floor one, found both key pieces, rolled easy all the way to the chest... and then choked two thirds of the way through Mega Stanley. Oh well.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
x11? x2? What is even happening on these screens :psyduck:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Wildtortilla posted:

I just learned if you place a bomb in the path of a charging Chub, he'll eat the bomb and pause with a worried look until the bomb explodes.

This works on all his reskins/alternates too afaik

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Finished greed mode with 90 coins, 2 of diamonds, and a blank card; took the greed machine from 20 to over 150 in one go before it jammed :homebrew:

e/ also unlocked Lilith on that run, and am currently doing a regular run with her. Got Tech X early on and Inner Eye on boss rush, now I'm spamming 6 laser rings at once and just melting whole rooms, it's great.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 26, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ArfJason posted:

thats honestly one of the things i hope antibirth and by extension repentance fixes. red heart builds just arent worth jack poo poo and have no interesting items to work with

Not true! One of my early Greed runs I got Azazel up to maximum red hearts while holding guppy's paw, which gave me close to triple health for the final fight. Only issue was I kept forgetting to trigger it when I had room for more hearts; I ended up beating ultra greed but dying at the exact same time he did because he dropped a coin on my head, so I didn't get the mark :saddowns:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

PostNouveau posted:

I look at it as some rooms being skill checks that you pay a price for not passing. Do you have spectral tears? If not, this room is gonna take 10 seconds longer.

Recently I got a room with some of those fixed blobby enemies that regenerate their health. They were on a platform behind a moat, with rocks blocking all direct fire angles (which I had no bombs to break), and I couldn't slant any shots in because I was playing as Lilith.

After about a minute of trying and failing to hit them the game took pity on me and unlocked all the doors.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

The Moon Monster posted:

I swear they finally changed it so the horsemen only drop parts of one or the other in a single run. So getting bandage girl is as easy as just getting the book of rev on the first or second floor (and not getting screwed by conquest in the womb). Meatboy you just need a potato peeler for.

It's been like that for ages, I've never had a run where I've seen a both, only one or the other.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

John Murdoch posted:

Which is more frustrating: Having 99c and Greed shows up or having 99c and the shop is just pure crap?

Multiple good shops on early floors when you can't afford anything, then garbage shops after you get rich and also the final shop in depths ii is greed.

Actually just that last one is irritating enough, especially when he drops steam sale because it's just completely useless at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ariong posted:

Oh hey that reminds me, be sure to check out this guide to breaking Isaac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJtOzw5ojJE

Even if you're an old hand, you might learn some new tricks.

You can't actually make any of this happen though right? You're still ultimately reliant on the rng to, for example, give you a steam sale at any point in the run, let alone early on where it can help you gamebreak?

I'll freely admit that a lot of my runs get hosed up because I play them badly, but even accounting for that I feel like I still don't get very many opportunities to get really crazy