Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Steam Store page ($14.99, soundtrack $1.99)

Afterbirth DLC Expansion ($10.99)

Afterbirth+ DLC Expansion ($9.99)

Repentance DLC Expansion ($14.99) New!

The Original Binding of Isaac Steam Store page ($4.99)
Original BoI Wrath of the Lamb DLC page ($2.99)

What is the Binding of Isaac?
Here's the description on the Steam page for the original Binding of Isaac:

quote:

When Isaac’s mother starts hearing the voice of God demanding a sacrifice be made to prove her faith, Isaac escapes into the basement facing droves of deranged enemies, lost brothers and sisters, his fears, and eventually his mother. The Binding of Isaac is a randomly generated action RPG shooter with heavy Rogue-like elements. Following Isaac on his journey players will find bizarre treasures that change Isaac’s form giving him super human abilities and enabling him to fight off droves of mysterious creatures, discover secrets and fight his way to safety.

You are Isaac, trapped in the basement of your house. Unfortunately, you are not alone, as the basement is crawling with flies, spiders, and other monstrosities out to get you. The only thing you have to defend yourself with at the beginning are your tears. The basement (and other unknown depths below) is randomly generated; the levels have different layouts each time, with different monsters, random items, and other surprises. Basically it's a roguelike-type game that plays like classic The Legend of Zelda (or Smash TV, if you remember that), if roguelikes and Zelda were really, really hosed up.

The Binding of Isaac, released September 28, 2011, was created by Edmund McMillen, with the original game being programmed in Flash Actionscript by Florian Himsl. (Yes, this is a Flash game.) You may recognize McMillen as being approximately half of Team Meat, the team behind Super Meat Boy and the upcoming game Mew-genics. It also got a DLC update in May 2012 called Wrath of the Lamb, which adds a bunch of new items, new enemies, new room layouts, new room types, new floors, and a whole new set of endings. It's also really loving hard and I suggest not buying it until you are fully acquainted and nearly finished with all of the content from the original vanilla game.

Warning(?): The Binding of Isaac contains a sizable amount of dead baby jokes (or maybe just dead babies), tired memes, and crude humor. Somehow this manages to fit right in with the overall aesthetic of the game and not ruin it (in my opinion), but your results may vary.

Warning(?) #2: Yes this game is obtuse. Rebirth is also obtuse. Afterbirth even more so. It does not tell you everything. Figure things out! (Or look it up. See bottom of this post for cheat sheets!)

You can also play a demo of the original Binding of Isaac right here on Newgrounds. Also have some screenshots I shamelessly lifted from the original thread.

I even stole the joke one. Fantastic.

Okay, so what's Rebirth?
First, watch this trailer. (Warning: sorta :nws: and definitely really weird and terrifying. Also may cause seizures.)

Now then. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is a brand new remake being made by Nicalis, Inc. who you may remember as the ones behind 1001 Spikes, among other things. It's not being done in Flash this time (thank god), but in a whole new engine. It's also being released on PSN for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita. As for the game itself, I'll let Steam speak for me again on this one:

quote:

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is the ultimate of remakes with an all-new highly efficient game engine (expect 60fps on most PCs), all-new hand-drawn pixel style artwork, highly polished visual effects, all-new soundtrack and audio by the the sexy Ridiculon duo Matthias Bossi + Jon Evans. Oh yeah, and hundreds upon hundreds of designs, redesigns and re-tuned enhancements by series creator, Edmund McMillen. Did we mention the poop?

Key Features:

Over 500 hours of gameplay
4 BILLION Seeded runs!
20 Challenge runs
450+ items, including 160 new unlockables
Integrated controller support for popular control pads!
Analog directional movement and speed
Tons of feature film quality animated endings
Over 100 specialized seeds
2-Player local co-op
Over 100 co-op characters
Dynamic lighting, visual effects and art direction
All-new game engine @60FPS 24/7
All-new soundtrack and sound design
Multiple Save slots
Poop physics!
The ultimate roguelike
A bunch of achievements

All of those things in that list either surpass the original game or are brand-new, like the local co-op, RNG seed system, and :siren:controller support with analog controls:siren:. The soundtrack is not being handled by Danny B. this time around, but is instead being done by Ridiculon. Here's a preview. Sound effects are all new, too.

Basically, Rebirth is The Binding of Isaac, remade (or reborn, I guess I should say) from the ground up (and again, not in Flash!) and hopes to be better in practically every single way. Some screenshots:

And here, have a development blog filled with even more information! And screenshots! Animated screenshots! And videos! Dang!

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is being released on PC, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 4 and the PlayStation Vita! Wow! It all comes out on November 4!

It has also been released on WiiU and Nintendo 3DS, if you have those systems. (Warning: buggy.)

Check out these sweet videos Edmund and Co. released during the game's development showing off sick new item combos and other nonsense. (Ever-so-slight spoiler warning, obviously)

-Seeded runs! (part 2)
-Early Beta
-New Monstro Item
-New Batteries
-PAX Prime Co-op Gameplay

For more stuff, go through the development blog linked above. There are a lot of GIFs of new items and features.

Afterbirth?
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth is a DLC expansion to Rebirth that came out on October 30, 2015. It adds a lot more content, including a new game mode and a new character. It also makes the game a bit more bullshit, though.

Afterbirth Plus?
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth Plus is another DLC expansion to Rebirth Afterbirth that came out on January 3, 2017. It adds even more content, modding tools, but even more bullshit (thanks Edmund). Buggy on release, but mostly fine now.

Repentance?
The Binding of Isaac: Repentance is the final DLC expansion, released March 31, 2021, which rolls in a lot of content from the fan-made Antibirth content mod. Adds even more content, including gimmicky variations of all the characters, new endgame content and bosses, and more! Also contains a whole buttload of changes to the game itself, including tweaks and balance changes. Opinions are mixed on some of the changes, but the new stuff seems great.

Resources for the Original BoI
Binding of Isaac Wiki
This wiki used to be poo poo. It's not now. That's about it.

Platinum God
A nice and easy cheat sheet. Very handy.

Xaiter's Binding of Isaac LP
A very informative playthrough and in-depth look at the game.

Here is a bunch of stuff on the original BoI grabbed from the previous thread, originally written by Torsade de Pointes.

Resources for Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Platinum God
Platinum God's Rebirth cheat sheet. Up to date on all existing expansions.

BoI: Rebirth Wiki
Pretty comprehensive wiki that's up to date on all existing expansions.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

In case anyone didn't know, Rebirth will be free if you have PSN plus.

Kifisonfire posted:

This should probably go in the OP because it's huge. I'm so looking forward to this game on PS4.

Holy poo poo I had no idea. It's in the OP now, thanks!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Full Battle Rattle posted:

What time will this unlock on the 4th? is it 12:01? I may have to go to bed a little early, those first six or seven hours of gameplay aren't going to play themselves.

I'm pretty sure it's the standard 10 AM Pacific Time (or noon Central) for Steam. As for PSN, uhhhh, that's a good question.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Tried the Purist challenge one last time. Managed to save an Emperor card from Utero to use in the Cathedral. Skipped all the way to the final boss.

It didn't go over too well.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

ShadeofDante posted:

Just as a heads up the Steam version will apparently have a whopping 178 achievements! :stare:

Christ. They all most likely connect to the 178 secrets. That's a lot of poo poo to unlock. For the record, the original only had about 97 secrets. Rebirth has almost twice that. Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I have preloaded. I am ready for tomorrow.

....oh god I don't think I'm ready at all :gonk:

EDIT: My opinion on the art style: I don't normally go for retro because it's the Lowest-Hanging Indie Fruit, but this seems more like hand-drawn pixel art that just happens to look a little retro. (Okay, quite a bit retro, but not completely.) Also the graphic effects (like the ripple effect when Monstro lands) make it seem much cooler and less retro. Overall I like it. It is far prettier than ugly old Flash sprites.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 4, 2014

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Kaethela posted:

Are you going to try to delve into the code of this one too? :v:

It's made in C++, if I remember hearing right, and not flash so it's going to be a lot harder. And by that I mean "probably impossible".

So...probably not, no. Unless "try" means "try for about a minute".

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

They've been pretty coy about the Nintendo thing this whole stream, with the WiiU question earlier and now this. I was honestly a little doubtful even after the secret video teases but I'm starting to wonder.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

Dude just took an amnesia pill and erased his map. :cry:

My immediate reaction to seeing this was "Oh gently caress me" :shepicide:

The new pills are going to be wonderful/terrifying.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

So I wasn't watching for a bit so I don't know if they implied this, but I just realized when they turned off pop-ups, that probably turned off the secret unlocked notifications. Clever.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

What did they say? I'm guessing they're still worried about Nintendo rejecting it so they won't confirm anything.

"WiiWho? Me-you? [this goes on for a few seconds] Would you want that? [pause] Well I guess nobody wants it, so no." It sounded real tongue-in-cheek.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I should stop watching Northernlion's stream to avoid spoilers. But. I. Can't. help

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

It's out! :woop:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

jivjov posted:

Hopefully Steam Support will be in one of their good moods...I really don't want to have to wait 6 days for a refund.

Seriously, I cannot believe that Rebirth manages to be even more shoddily coded than the original. I could at least PLAY that one.

Hmm yes a game that doesn't run under some circumstances, an uncommon but certainly not unheard problem for first time releases, is more buggy than a lovely loving flash game riddled with bugs and holes

EDIT: I will grant you that the Logitech keyboard thing is really weird.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I touched a dice on the floor and got a bunch of poo poo and lost a bunch of poo poo (like the loving compass, I wanted that :mad:). I dunno what combo it gave me that made Tiny Planet suck so hard. Managed to beat Mom's Heart, though.

EDIT: Also I have picked up at least four or five items and have had no idea what they do. This is.....great?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

dude789 posted:

This is just a guess, but PostNouveau and I started getting random Soul Heart drops after we took damage after picking it up, but I don't know the exact rate.

Ah, yeah, so that's what was happening my first heart run. That sounds right.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Found Tammy's Head on the first floor of the Slow Roll challenge and the Habit two floors later. R.I.P. everything forever.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Little Blue Couch posted:

Do we know if the guppy exploit still works? Probably not but a guy can dream

It sounded like from a friend on Twitter that the answer was no, it was fixed.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

sicDaniel posted:

I've read that the positive pills effect is now exclusive to PHD.

One of the Zodiac symbols does this too, I think Virgo?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

So uh Soy Milk + Magnetic Tears = Ummmmmmmmmmmmm :stare:

EDIT: I just picked up Monstro's Lung. There goes my run

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 5, 2014

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

"Man, I can't figure out what's up with Curse of the Blind." *enters treasure room* "........Oh."

All treasures appear as question marks.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Bogart posted:

So does the poo poo and blood aesthetic continue throughout the game?

Yes, welcome to Binding of Isaac

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Atomicated posted:

I feel like this is the kind of question thats probably come up a lot but quickly skimming the last two pages I didn't see it. If I go to sheol and die will I still get the item unlock for my third mom's heart kill or do I have to open the chest and forgo sheol?

Pretty sure you get the expected unlock right when you enter Sheol, that's what just happened to me.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

To the people complaining about this game being obtuse:

Color Printer posted:

Yes, welcome to Binding of Isaac

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

A game like this will never find a wide audience, nor should it

Did you miss the part where this is a remake? A remake of a game that became so popular it surprised the creator because it was supposed to be some dumb stupid project

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Zeron posted:

Also half his post is about how obtuse the controls are despite the important ones being written in the ground on the starting room

Admittedly I don't think they are in this game. If they are they've never shown up for me, only the Isaac doodles but never the actual control icons. It's bizarre.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Iny posted:

Ring Worm + Tiny Planet = incredible bullshit, I'm laughing really hard at this

Yeah I picked it up on my Head Trauma attempt and was incredibly disturbed by the results.

Also how do I use Tiny Planet. I hate it so much.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I haven't unlocked Azazel because the game hasn't been cooperating with the devil deals. :saddowns:

Also I added http://platinumgod.co.uk/ to the OP.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Same. I want him bad after seeing how everyone talks about him being broken as poo poo. I have in spite of this managed to unlock Samson who I will put off playing for as long as I possibly can because playing as Samson slowly drains my will to live.

They changed Samson in this one, by the way: Bloody Lust no longer boosts damage when you kill an enemy. It boosts damage whenever you take damage, and the buff lasts for the whole floor, not just the room. Healing won't undo it either.

EDIT: eve on the other hand is still loving garbage even if they buffed her in some way i haven't noticed

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 6, 2014

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I'm wondering if the die icon actually means anything. I've had a 1 re-roll half my items, and a 2 had four coins on the floor, each one turning into something different when I stepped on.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I still hate Eve oh my god

Also if the Devil doesn't cooperate and start offering me more deals instead of red chests to unlock Azazel I'm going to loving lose it.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

BFF Fly is the shittiest familiar and I will never willingly pick it up again.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Alkydere posted:

He's got his own unlocks for mom/heart/bossrush/ect kills, but other than that..."eh".

In other news, I'm not sure if my Lil' Devil buddy is broken or if this is the effect of the super-secret room:

Uh, dood, shouldn't you be giving me soul hearts?

Edit: yeah, it's the super-secret room that's breaking it. I jumped out and he just lay the soul-hearts on me.

I'm super glad the super-secret womb room quirk from the original came back and even more glad that it apparently effects completely non-random drops like Dark Bum. :allears:

Wonder how the Cathedral one (with the eternal heart) functions now......

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Sanctum posted:

What does it do that's worse than Bob? Blowing up in your face for a full hearts worth of damage as well as blowing up slot machines that payout with flies is pretty bad.

Pretty much exactly that since it's a Bomb Fly. Sure you can try to stay away from it as it flies around the room but you try doing that when you're fighting Peep with a bunch of rocks.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Ghost Head posted:

someone help me out here. Why am I getting 2 item podiums at the end of every boss fight?

Did you buy There's Options? It gives you two choices for boss rewards.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

So here's something fun. I run into a shop. It's Greed. I Joker out, buy the Contract from Below, run out and end up back in the shop.

What's there waiting for me? Why, none other than Super Greed.

Scared the poo poo out of me. :stare:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Spoon Bender + Ludovico Technique behaves bizarrely during the Mom fight and was not very helpful at all.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

nogic posted:

Do you have to do something to unlock the XL floors? I have not gotten a single one yet.

Curses seem to be super rare until Everything is Terrible happens (even then they're still rare?), but they show up a lot on Hard. In the original, they showed up more once you beat the Cathedral, so maybe something similar happens here too.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Cobalt60 posted:

Is there any bonus for beating boss rush multiple times, or just The Nail for the first time?

There is a reward for every character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

omeg posted:

No one tried to reverse engineer the game files yet? I'm kind of tempted since I have some experience with unpacking/repacking unknown data formats. Having way too much fun just playing though. And they left a nice note:

The .a files are not any standard archive format that I can figure out, it's some special compressed/encrypted poo poo. I think some people on reddit found assembly code or something that can help them figure out how to unpack them but this is all way out of my league so I guess I'm sitting this one out.

Not that I really care, I am enjoying the poo poo out of just playing this game.