Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I've fallen back into this game recently. Last time I played it was the original game published to steam almost a decade ago.

Anyways I love how thoroughly you can break this game to create hilarious playthroughs. Just had this happen now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu8x7858lVI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I saw someone else using a mod that would show a popup of the item's description in-game which would be extremely useful. Does anyone know what that is?

e: vvv awesome ty vvv

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 15, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Man this game can really burn you in unexpected ways sometimes. I was doing an Eve run and managed to get both 20/20 and Goat's Head on the first floor. Second floor I get Dead-Eye, lot's of tears-up pills, and a Magic Mushroom. By the third floor I'm just melting everything in my path and manage to swing a gat drat Dark Bum. Awesome. Melting bosses in a manner of seconds. Nothing can stop me now.

Except I was so excited I forgot to pick up either the Polaroid or Negative after killing Mom :cripes:

I bombed every single rock and took every teleport pill I could get my hands on in the Cathedral. No luck. gently caress

Anyways quick question: let's say I'm trying to get an icon for a character, let's say The Lamb for Eve. After I beat The Lamb I get the chance to move on to The Void. If I take that and get killed to I still get credit for killing The Lamb? Or does nothing count unless I actually finish the run? A couple of times now I've had a pretty good loadout to take on either Hush or Delirium but I instead opted to finish the run because I didn't want to chance it. However I'm starting to realize that may be playing it too safe

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 30, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm super late to be getting into this game but I think it's happening. I've had it on my Switch for nearly 2 years. I played maybe 15-20 hours and grew tired of it. A few months ago I got REALLY into Enter the Gungeon and Dead Cells. I decided to revisit this game yesterday and I wasn't too keen on it during my first run, I think I've since learned to enjoy the game again. The limited firing directions and enemies that randomly change speed were really off putting after Gungeon. But I think I just needed to reacquaint myself to this game.

My second run was a success and now my third is shaping up nicely too, having just killed Mom. When I killed the Heart in my last game a door opened up but I grabbed the chest, which ended my game. It unlocked Mr Fetus (I think). Should I be focusing on opening chests after the Heart or going through doors that open? It looked like a Devil door if I remember correctly.

When you're first starting it's pretty much impossible to do anything "wrong". You'll continue to unlock stuff as long as you have successful runs. You'll also want to do the first handful of challenges as they unlock very useful items. The game starts to open up more once you've beaten Satan a couple of times

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Happy Hedonist posted:

I’ve been playing this off and on for a few weeks now and there is very little on this page I can parse. Game is weird.

Wildtortilla posted:

I have 30 hrs of played time with 10ish wins under my belt. I have no idea what anything in this thread means outside of the replies to my posts. I thought I was the only one in this boat.

You're only looking at the tip of the iceberg. This game will start expanding soon and it adds A LOT of stuff

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Happy Hedonist posted:

Is there anything specifically to work towards or am I good just blindly playing? It’s such a good game to play while smoking weed and listening to podcasts.

I mean if you're having fun then go for it. If you want to make "progress" then try filling out the post-its for each character on the character select screen. Also the challenges but some of those are EXTREMELY unchill. Past that you'll be getting into really obscure stuff that you'll need to pull up a guide for to even realize what's even possible

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Wildtortilla posted:

Painfully I just learned what a dice room is in Sheol. Had a loving awesome run and was a killing machine. Then I found a dice room that turned me into a floating legless hobo clown that shot coins but I couldn't just shoot, instead I dropped the coins and could put a bunch down... then when I released the right stick they scattered uselessly at anything except enemies. I have no idea how I was supposed to control that bullshit.

Satan was insurmountable.

I'm furious.

lmao

welcome to binding of isaac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9270u0MkI2w

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Wildtortilla posted:

It definitely was partly head of the keeper, I got it again on my current run. Except this run is 1000x cooler than the one I hosed up last night. I'm currently a flying bat with 10 hearts, all a mix of soul and black, shooting long range, shotgun spread, giant coins. I have a helper than collects red hearts and turns them into soul hearts. A swarm of flies occasionally fly out to attack my enemies too. This game rules.

Dark Bum is a top tier familiar imo

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Wildtortilla posted:

I broke the game in a whole new way for me: summons. I'm definitely turned into guppy, and maybe also Bezelbub, I'm not sure on that. I can summon armies of giant blue flies very easily with Guppy's Head. I also have meat boy running around and a rider courtesy of 7 seals. So that's all insane and just that combo obliterated It Lives within moments of entering the fight, I didn't get a chance to fire one of my ridiculous tears.

Again they're in the form of coins, this time giant coins cause I got money = power and I'm sitting on 97 coins. My shots also stick to enemies for a DOT.

I'm in the cathedral and I've never been poised this well to win. Assuming I can persevere and get to Isaac, I'm holding an I'm Drowsy pill to counter his bullshit bullet hell. If I'm all well and powerful, is there any reason I shouldn't just fight Isaac if I find the boss room quickly? I always gently caress up in the cathedral and blow half my hearts. I'd like to just fight this son of a bitch and get it over with, regardless of outcome.

Yup. Unless you're going for something specific on the floor killing the boss is all you need to do. This is why the Emperor card is so useful sometimes.

Also lol no- that's not anywhere close to 'breaking' the game. That's just what we'd call that run being 'won'

Breaking the game is when it goes so nuts that you're not sure your computer is about to crash because every room is just an incomprehensible mess of sprites and colors and explosions

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Wildtortilla posted:

Does this game come up with seeds that are especially challenging for the character you select or am I losing my mind in a series of 10+ stupidly unlucky runs.

I'm trying out Magdaline. I've played floors 1-3 across ten runs and haven't gotten a single +damage item, but I've gotten an absurd number of items that make me move even slower, give me more red hearts, and/or slow down my rate of fire. Even the enemy spawns seem extra designed to gently caress me. Fiery basements with stupid fast enemies, every run has had a GIANT room filled with tiny poops and several big poops that zip and zoom after me. Every miniboss has been a variant of Lust that moves at stupidly fast speeds. It really feels like this characters schtick is to walk around and barely damage high speed enemies.

Personal opinion: don't take pills unless you have Ph.D and know for sure they're going to help

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Wildtortilla posted:

Like a thing showing me where I should be to get boss rush?

Yes. If it's ahead of you you're going too slow. If you're ahead of it you're doing fine

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

edit: whoops wrong thread

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 9, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Canuckistan posted:

well that's a thing. (counterstrike(?) clip to save someone some time).

Ha whoops. That was meant for the Valorant thread

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Renaissance Robot posted:

Having recently unlocked it myself, I'll say it's sometimes a life saver but it's easy to get burned by hubris when you decide to reroll an item that's okay but not awe inspiring, and then it turns into something even worse like the bean or the poop.

In case anyone wasn't aware: each time you pick up the bean it has a small chance of becoming 'Wait, what?' which is extremely useful at the beginning of runs. If you already have an active item that switches out when you pick it up and you can just pick the bean up over and over again until you finally get it. It usually doesn't take too long either

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

iirc the duke has an upper limit on flies he'll spawn so just focus on killing flies that are an immediate danger and focusing the rest of your shots on him. it sucks but that's basically your only option

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

On PC I'm pretty sure it saves any time you move to a new room

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I have 125 hours in and still haven't even gotten to Mega Stanley let alone beat him. Does anyone have a reliable method or do I really just have to keep beating my head against that wall until I finally break through?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah I can beat The Lamb fairly reliably. My issue was getting the key pieces. It seems like I never have the health to tank through enough sacrifices to get both pieces

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lmfao

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I came so close. Got all the way to the final phase and my brain flatlined and I made several dumb mistakes in a row

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

It even teased me by giving me restock, chaos, and then a blank card but I couldn't quite pull off the infinite loop

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Very next run I managed to put the two key pieces together and was absolutely barreling towards Satan with Deadeye and a shitload of tears/damage upgrades. It's been a few months since I played so my mind blanked out and i picked up a dead cat in a cellar right before Satan and immediately knew I'd hosed up. I'm gonna be kicking myself over that for a week

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 19, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Wildtortilla posted:

I bought RE4 on Saturday, played it for about 3 hours over Sat-Sun, and I'm back to Isaac already. I realized this morning I haven't played as Lilith yet, so now I'm 30ish minutes into my first Lilith run and it's going quite well AND I killed my first angel and have half a key piece. If I understand things correctly, if I collect the other key piece, I should head to The Chest where there will be a door I can unlock to fight Mega Stanley?

Yep. You can also be a dipshit like me and do it via the Dark Room.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Wildtortilla posted:

OH MY GOD I FORGOT I WAS HOLDING A TAROT CLOTH AND POPPED JERA AT THE START OF THE CHEST.

16 GOLD CHESTS! I HAVE 23 KEYS!

Yeah I'd say fighting ??? before heading back to Stanley is a safe bet

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Wildtortilla posted:

I finally joined twitter to memorialize the first time I broke the game:

https://twitter.com/wildtortilla/status/1285671803625644032

Don’t get me wrong this is really cool- but it’s nowhere even *close* to breaking the game. Trust me. You’ll know when you have

hint: in this case you still could manage to describe the fight to us

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Some Goon posted:

Y'all've got me finishing up the challenges I never completed. I thought I was done with this game...

Still not finishing my greedier marks though. No way.

*1 month later*

Well.... maybe I could go for the greedier marks

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Wildtortilla posted:

gently caress Curse of the Lost.

I just killed mom with 20:04 on the clock.

edit: so I opened the door to Hush. A Devil room opened too. Will the door to Hush be open if I go into the Devil room?

edit2: Seems like the timer determines if the door stays open or not. I beat Hush! What a slog of a fight, holy moly! Is there anything that can be done to pop Hush out of the floor? It spends so much time in a state that cannot be damaged!

Nope. If he's under you just have to wait it out. Use that time to kill the ADS or just chill out. Not sure if the sharp straw is subject to Hush's damage cap but that's something you could use while he's underground

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Wildtortilla posted:

Is this Womb entrance just a random level skip?

Yup. It's rare but it happens

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I’m just learning that each run has a pill pool :psyduck:

I had a run last week where i had phd and all i was finding were the most trash “positive” effect pills and i was convinced they game just hated me. turns out i guess i just had a lovely roll on the pool

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

It's begun. I'm attempting SPEED!

I've died and restarted twice each so far. This is really hard

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Greenplastic posted:

I did it!! And I didn't take a single hit from the second phase! The two pretty fly pills from the vanity outside did tank a bunch though

Save files complete!

And it took

Not much idling, so that's about right!

:worship:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Finally beat Speed! That challenge was hard as hell. I was able to get lucky with a joker card at the beginning that gave me Maw of the Void. It was super risky taking it as I'd be down to a single heart but the ability to clear out rooms rapidly + being able to generate black hearts made it worth it. On the second floor I was offered guppy's paw and dead cat. gently caress yes. 9 lives at three soul hearts each basically guaranteed my win as long as I was fast. And fast I was :madmax:

I didn't use any of my spare lives until It Lives! and it really came down to charging Maw of the Void before I walked in and just getting lucky with its spray pattern. I got it on the third try.

gently caress that challenge

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I think I've died to The Matriarch more than any other boss by a wide margin

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I had a game today where there was a pit along the rear wall except for right in the middle, which is where the devil door spawned. The trap door into the womb blocked my way :(

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Starting my first attempt at Ultra Hard. Pray for me, goons. Also any advice besides 'good luck' is appreciated

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

So since I can't see the shop items I just buy them blindly and pray they're Ph.D, placebo, etc, eh? gently caress. This is gonna suck

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I beat it on the third try :kiddo:

I got Mom's Knife on the second level and from there on it would throw me an item like PJs or matchbook at key moments to barely keep me going. In the womb I got charm of the vampire and then out of one of the red chests before Mega Satan I got Guppy's Paw which was the only thing that got me through it. Had to sacrifice two red hearts to get through the fight and ended with just one red and one soul heart left.

edit: Oh I also got ball of bandages and a pretty fly on the way. That plus a bajillion speed up pills before Mega Satan

At the second phase where it turns into bullet hell I knew my only shot was to rush to the top and just stab him in the face while tanking damage and praying that he died before I did. He did

That could have been so much more difficult lol

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 30, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Last night I decided to start filling out my hard mode post its and managed to complete a Magdalene run where I went up through the chapel, the chest, and was able to beat delirium. Today I fired up the game to do another run and I'm seeing that it gave me credit for it lives, isaac, ???, but not delirium. What the hell?

edit: I'm a dummy and forgot that the hush icon isn't delirium

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 31, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Happy Hedonist posted:

I got the Everything is Terrible achievement (not sure what triggered it) a few nights ago and now the last few levels are giving me poo poo. This loving game... I love it.

For what it's worth almost every time you beat the game it's going to simultaneously get a bit harder and also easier. This is one of the few times it explicitly tells you it's doing it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Happy Hedonist posted:

Am I crazy or does difficulty change depending on the items you pick up? It seems to me that whenever I pick up a crazy nice item, the difficulty spikes. Is there a hidden mechanic there somewhere?

Nah this is in your head / good old rnjesus frowning on you