Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gghani
Nov 3, 2014
Hello everyone!

First let me introduce me since this is my first post at Something Awful:

My name is Javier, I'm a guy from Spain who's always loved and played games since the 80's. I worked as a QA tester at EA for two years, and finally joined an indie videogame studio. We're 12 people team currently working on our first game.

The thing is that we really care about our first game and want to make it as good as we can. Since we're an indie studio and also got tired of how big studios care more about hyping up their titles, rather than hearing to gamers, we've decided to do right the opposite thing.

We are very interested in hearing people opinion on our game, suggestions, ideas....everything! and take them into account while we develop the game. We're showing our game at an early stage, no tricks! even though we're aware that some people would say that it sucks, cause unfinished games usually looks like crap. We don't care, we think that's the price we gotta pay if we really want to hear gamers opinion from the start.

I've Read the goddamn forum rules before posting!!! and don't think that a post like this is against any of the forums guidelines.

Don't hesitate to ask anything you feel like, I promise to answer everybody. We are also open to hear any idea, doesn't mind how crazy it might sound. In exchange, we can offer closed-beta access to people interested, just let me know if that's your case.

So, regarding our game:

Our game is called Formula Wincars, and it's some kind of "Mario Kart meets League of Legends" idea. It will be available for PC, Mac and Linux.

We are really excited about our co-op mode TEAMS MODE It's gotta be a cornerstone of the game. 4 vs 4 players teamed up into two different teams, where players will be able to share driver's special skills and where the choice of a common strategy between thousands of possibilities will be a must! These are MOBA games features implemented in the racing genre, that's where the "LoL" thing comes from. The strategy and tactics will be the key.

Our latest trailer so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6vi5yTJaSg

But I must say that in fact it's pretty old and the game looks much better now, it's just that we don't have enough time to make another trailer without stopping the developing of the game. And the game is the priority now. Our closed beta relase launch date is Dec. 2014 so we're working hardly to fulfil that deadline. (not sure if we will be able to do it or finally delay it a little bit)

Our game is intended to be totally oriented to online competition with some features like up to 4000 players tournaments. These tournaments will have real life prizes to winnners, and virtual goodies like car skins to every participant.

Some images of the game and its development: UPDATED 12/9/2014

gghani fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
dude this is freaking sick.....good sh*t

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

whats up javier

Secht
Oct 5, 2012
Radical

gghani
Nov 3, 2014

John Romero posted:

whats up javier

Hi!

:hfive:

gghani
Nov 3, 2014

Secht posted:

Radical

You mean you liked it or not?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
You've sort of missed the call to action here, or maybe I did.

What do you want us to critique here? Or do? A better title would maybe be Formula Wincar and make it about the game not the making of it. If you're here to give us beta keys you kind of didn't mention how? With the beta so far away what are to discuss, how stoked we are for your admittedly old trailer?

gghani
Nov 3, 2014

Pladdicus posted:

You've sort of missed the call to action here, or maybe I did.

What do you want us to critique here? Or do? A better title would maybe be Formula Wincar and make it about the game not the making of it. If you're here to give us beta keys you kind of didn't mention how? With the beta so far away what are to discuss, how stoked we are for your admittedly old trailer?

Hello Pladdicus.

You got your point, I didn't want to make a huge and boring first post and try to explain the entire game in just one post.

Yes, the trailer is old, and thanks for not pointing out things like "the car is not drifting properly" or "It doesn't look polished" which obviously look better later on. But I do think that seeing the gameplay, and reading our idea about the Teams Mode and things like that, you could give your opinion, or suggest new ideas, stuff like that.

Beta Keys:

Go to our site https://www.formulawincars.com and sign up. Then, put here in this thread (or you can PM me if you prefer) the ID you chose and I'll give the Closed-Beta access to your account.

Thanks for your comment!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just off the bat but "Wincars" is a terrible name

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

I don't understand how this is a moba

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

if i come in first or second place will the pink haired girl be topless

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I don't like dota, or cars.

sorry :(

gghani
Nov 3, 2014

MinibarMatchman posted:

just off the bat but "Wincars" is a terrible name

Hello MinibarMatchman

I agree with you. WE ARE REALLY CONSIDERING TO CHANGE IT. Does it sound that bad?

See, today someone told me exactly the same thing (and there's been others before sayin' same thing), this was my answer to him, that also is valid for you:

"Honestly, I agree with you. When I joined the team the name was chosen already and I didn't like it either. Expressed it more or less like you did: Looks more like a "funny" mobile game rather than the depth-game that it actually is. Sounds a little bit like a bad tranlation, etc....

The entire team collaborated suggesting new names to the game, and we got like 2 or 3 names that we feel comfortable with, but the thing is that we've made a lot of work already using Formula Wincars "brand". Changing the game's name at this point would mean opening new social networks profiles, a new website domain, etc.....we even run a Kickstarter campaign for Formula Wincars! And we might lost some of our early supporters help by changing the name fo the game.

So, we still don't know what we'll eventually do. I really appreciate your comment, because you highlighted one of our greatest fear, and one of those things we really care about gaming community's opinion.
Thanks a lot for your comment!"

gghani
Nov 3, 2014
I must leave now!

Please keep on posting, I promise to answer everyone as soon as I'll come back!

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
The name of the game reads like a bad translation of some lovely iPhone game. It's that bad.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

gghani posted:

Hello everyone!

First let me introduce me since this is my first post at Something Awful:

My name is Javier, I'm a guy from Spain who's always loved and played games since the 80's. I worked as a QA tester at EA for two years, and finally joined an indie videogame studio. We're 12 people team currently working on our first game.

The thing is that we really care about our first game and want to make it as good as we can. Since we're an indie studio and also got tired of how big studios care more about hyping up their titles, rather than hearing to gamers, we've decided to do right the opposite thing.

We are very interested in hearing people opinion on our game, suggestions, ideas....everything! and take them into account while we develop the game. We're showing our game at an early stage, no tricks! even though we're aware that some people would say that it sucks, cause unfinished games usually looks like crap. We don't care, we think that's the price we gotta pay if we really want to hear gamers opinion from the start.

I've Read the goddamn forum rules before posting!!! and don't think that a post like this is against any of the forums guidelines.

Don't hesitate to ask anything you feel like, I promise to answer everybody. We are also open to hear any idea, doesn't mind how crazy it might sound. In exchange, we can offer closed-beta access to people interested, just let me know if that's your case.

So, regarding our game:

Our game is called Formula Wincars, and it's some kind of "Mario Kart meets League of Legends" idea. It will be available for PC, Mac and Linux.

We are really excited about our co-op mode TEAMS MODE It's gotta be a cornerstone of the game. 4 vs 4 players teamed up into two different teams, where players will be able to share driver's special skills and where the choice of a common strategy between thousands of possibilities will be a must! These are MOBA games features implemented in the racing genre, that's where the "LoL" thing comes from. The strategy and tactics will be the key.

Our latest trailer so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6vi5yTJaSg

But I must say that in fact it's pretty old and the game looks much better now, it's just that we don't have enough time to make another trailer without stopping the developing of the game. And the game is the priority now. Our closed beta relase launch date is Dec. 2014 so we're working hardly to fulfil that deadline. (not sure if we will be able to do it or finally delay it a little bit)

Our game is intended to be totally oriented to online competition with some features like up to 4000 players tournaments. These tournaments will have real life prizes to winnners, and virtual goodies like car skins to every participant.

Some images of the game and its development:

wincars sounds like something you would find on one of those Windows 3.1 entertainment pack floppy disks

also lol why are you testing that poo poo out on an n64 controller

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Heh heh, I guess you could say, wincars are "for the wi-:suicide:

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
How is this at all related to League of Legends?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Is this a boss we get to team up against with 4-player action or do these guys transform into cars or what.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ill give you this, youre way better off than the crimson haze guy

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Please add a playable anthropomorphic clock and a frog that turns into a chicken, and maybe a race against a dinosaur.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
There already is a race against a dinosaur. Like two minutes in the trailer there is definitely some dinosaur race action going on there.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
One might say that all new posters on SA get put through a 'crimson haze'

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
An N64 controller seems like an odd choice to test with. Unless you have three hands, I guess. Do you have three hands, Javier?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

This already looks a million times better than the last lovely goon racing game (Zero Gear).

From watching your vid, big thing I noticed was the lack of arrows are any real indication of how the track flowed. An example would be the fork in the road around 2:26~ish. The racer turns right but there is no visual queue to indicate that is actually the correct way. I could easily see people turning left if there were no other racers around, causing frustration.

Kart games are very casual-gamer centric. Its a huge benefit to design your tracks in a way even your mom could understand what is happening. This isn't to say the tracks shouldn't require some skill, but that the entry should be low enough that even non-skilled players can enjoy.

edit: actually it looks like this might be a moba, which would be a shame.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 4, 2014

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

This is a good thread filled with fine reading.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Cherry Venus

gghani
Nov 3, 2014

Awesome Welles posted:

wincars sounds like something you would find on one of those Windows 3.1 entertainment pack floppy disks

also lol why are you testing that poo poo out on an n64 controller

Thanks everyone giving the feedback on our game's name. The entire team have decided to have a serious meeting and talk about the possibility of changing the name. It would be a pain in the rear end, because we would lost all work done in certain areas like social networks profiles, our Indie DB page and stuff like that. Said that, the thing is that almost nobody likes the current name, and it would be a shame that a wrong decision about the name would affect the marketing of the game.

Regarding the N64 controller. That's mine. We needed lots of controllers at the studio to test the game and the thing is that I had this at my home gathering dust. In fact it's not a N64 controller, It's a PC USB controller whith that shape, I use it to play N64 ROMS on my pc and play them properly.

Thanks for your comment!

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006

Gay Hitler posted:

every game with multiplayer is a moba

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Wincars sounds like something that I'd have installed alongside KidPix and Reader Rabbit on Windows 3.11. It's a bad name.

From what little you've posted in terms of content, I can safely say that your game is in fact a game.

Edit: written rule or not, you probably also should have considered that your first ever post on These Fine Forums should probably not be something shilling your product. How do you imagine we'd have reacted with actual honest critique of your game when you're not yet part of the community?

Drone fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 4, 2014

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

gghani posted:

Thanks everyone giving the feedback on our game's name. The entire team have decided to have a serious meeting and talk about the possibility of changing the name. It would be a pain in the rear end, because we would lost all work done in certain areas like social networks profiles, our Indie DB page and stuff like that. Said that, the thing is that almost nobody likes the current name, and it would be a shame that a wrong decision about the name would affect the marketing of the game.

Regarding the N64 controller. That's mine. We needed lots of controllers at the studio to test the game and the thing is that I had this at my home gathering dust. In fact it's not a N64 controller, It's a PC USB controller whith that shape, I use it to play N64 ROMS on my pc and play them properly.

Thanks for your comment!

Why not just make the current name the name for the beta version then give it a proper name when it's ready for full release. Maybe go for a similar name that's Less clunky.

Formula Foursome? That kinda sounds sexual, actually.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
here's my feedback on the name:

*adopts gordon ramsey accent*

YEW FACKIN WINCAR

gghani
Nov 3, 2014

Gay Hitler posted:

Well, our game is not a MOBA, that's for sure.

Our intention is to get inspiration from some MOBA games mechanics and implement them into the racing genre. It would be more like a MORA: Multiplayer Online Racing Arena.

Anyway, we don't care that much about whether it's a MOBA or not (which obviously it's not). The thing is, for example look at Mario Kart 8, I love that game but the truth is that its online side is pretty short. It lacks of more gamemodes or "real" tournaments or leagues. It works smoothly as hell, but I always felt like there's so much wasted potential there.

We've developed a co-op Teams Mode where team strategy and tactics really matter. Whenever you use your driver's Special Skill it will remain available for your teammates to use it, even though it's not your specific driver's Special Skill. Besides, every time you use the Special Skill within a race it will upgrade for the next time, turning back to its initial power level when another race begins. This is something you see in games like DOTA 2 or LOL and never seen before on a racing game. Aditionally you'll have a friends manager, chat rooms and message boards integrated in the game in order to build differente strategies and promote competivity.

Hope this helps, thanks a lot for your comment!

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Your selling of Mario Kart meets LoL actually turned me off OP but it actually looks pretty neat.

The name is kind of dumb though. Also your human characters look weird.

I will hopefully be able to try it out, and can't wait to race :)

gghani
Nov 3, 2014

John Romero posted:

if i come in first or second place will the pink haired girl be topless

Mmmmmmmmmm, I'll tell the guys at the studio about this. I'll let you know when a decision is made about this as soon as possible.

PD: DONE, NO WAY!

gghani
Nov 3, 2014

Hyzenth1ay posted:

The name of the game reads like a bad translation of some lovely iPhone game. It's that bad.

Yeah, message received.

As I've said, we're really concerned about this, maybe we'll change the name of the game eventually.

Thanks for your comment!

gghani
Nov 3, 2014

MrBims posted:

Heh heh, I guess you could say, wincars are "for the wi-:suicide:

Hi! I made the same joke when I first heard the name of the game.

gghani
Nov 3, 2014

Hyzenth1ay posted:

How is this at all related to League of Legends?

Hi Hyzenth1ay

I've explained it to GayHitler (sic) just above, please have a look at it.

I could also add, that every driver has their own Special Skill which makes him/her stand out. It's not like other racing or karting game where you just get a special power randomly. Here your driver is good at certain things or able to perform specific actions, and when you build a team, you should take that into account to make a balanced team or to make a team with a defined strategy. All these things come from RPG and MOBA games where the characters are more like this.

Thanks for your comment!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

hello javier

are these the only playable characters? i am asking because while the current line up of black man, esurance girl, other girl, and big man is interesting and diverse, i feel that the facial expression on the big man is not as bland as i would like and frankly clashes a bit with the wooden plank of emotion shown by the other characters. my first choice for my character would be the big man because i think i would find the juxtaposition of his large, brawny frame against the lovely-rear end flimsy retard cart thing he would be piloting amusing, but i don't want to take a character who goes so far against the established grain by having a facial expression and what may be approaching a personality considering that his whole attitude seems to suggest that he is aware of exactly the kind of horseshit shovelware garbage he is cursed to be a part of.

so if there are other playable characters, such as another big man who looks less angry and more like he was hit in the head with a shovel daily as a child until he completely lost control of his facial muscles, i would like to see them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
turn the big man into a big angry black man

think barret or big bo

or james heller

• Locked thread