Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Isn't that the one people called eve offline?

im not sure what this means, but i remember nexus being legit amazing

its like a squad based spaceship tactics if that makes any sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Isn't that the one people called eve offline?
No joke, I would pay for a screensaver if it looked like EVE and worked like Progress Quest

Just watching my spaceship mine for ore, haul freight across the galaxy, shoot up aliens, and pay to upgrade itself so it can be ever better at these things

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Wait so is elite like an mmo? That makes it way less tempting for me.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

ArchWizard posted:

No joke, I would pay for a screensaver if it looked like EVE and worked like Progress Quest

Just watching my spaceship mine for ore, haul freight across the galaxy, shoot up aliens, and pay to upgrade itself so it can be ever better at these things

It was kind of nice flying around space and planet and stuff. Everything else not so much

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Wait so is elite like an mmo? That makes it way less tempting for me.

in name only, you don't have to kill space boars or anything, it's a big sandbox

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

AE-35 Unit posted:

in name only, you don't have to kill space boars or anything, it's a big sandbox

Having to deal with other people is annoying.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Having to deal with other people is annoying.

supposedly they're adding in a matchmaking kind of system where you can choose to play with friends, other players, or just yourself, dunno if that's in yet

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

AE-35 Unit posted:

supposedly they're adding in a matchmaking kind of system where you can choose to play with friends, other players, or just yourself, dunno if that's in yet

it's been in since alpha you can choose solo, private group, or open and you keep all progress between them you can play it totally alone if you like

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Strike Suit games are rad and good for shooting up spaceships. Infinity is the score attack as mentioned, and Zero has a mediocre story but Homeworld backdrops, so it's practically worth the price for those alone. Some interesting missions, as well.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 6, 2014

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Get Elite, an Oculus Rift, and a HOTAS + pedals

Spend your money irresponsibly

Do it

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

it's been in since alpha you can choose solo, private group, or open and you keep all progress between them you can play it totally alone if you like

I may get it in that case.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The games thread says elite's gonna be a train wreck. I ask the imps to sell me on it.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

im not sure what this means, but i remember nexus being legit amazing

its like a squad based spaceship tactics if that makes any sense

Nexus is seriously good, play this.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

The games thread says elite's gonna be a train wreck. I ask the imps to sell me on it.

Elite's already fun and the developers have been adding a ton of poo poo every update, and they seem to be about a month apart each. Also you can play it in Oculus Rift which is sweet and awesome

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Isn't the new Elite also a reboot of an older game also called Elite that was also pretty rad?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Lemming posted:

Elite's already fun and the developers have been adding a ton of poo poo every update, and they seem to be about a month apart each. Also you can play it in Oculus Rift which is sweet and awesome

I give zero shits about oculus rift support.

If it's already din that's good, but people in that other thread are talking about how there's no way a bunch of stuff will be in by launch.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's supposed to launch sometime in December so if you're on the fence you should probably just wait until then and see

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Honestly if I can fly around in a space ship and explore a pretty galaxy that's probably good enough for me.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Honestly if I can fly around in a space ship and explore a pretty galaxy that's probably good enough for me.

Elite is already the best version of this in many, many years

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

What are they worried about Elite not having

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Tachyon has:

-normal space physics + cool newtonian 'slide' mechanic
-freespace-style combat
-two story paths, each w/ unique ships and missions
-a not-awful plot featuring an incredibly over-the-top campy Bruce Campbell if that's your thing

so maybe try it?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Jackie D posted:

What are they worried about Elite not having

Not enough ships, something about walking around outside a ship, some sort of gathering thing.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

It's pretty

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
try strike vector. a shootymans ship killing game

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

FTL is like a more random less fun Galaxy Trucker

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Lemming posted:

It's pretty

it's very pretty but the best thing about the game is the sound. Watch some videos, OP

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

same

Lemming posted:

It's pretty

star citizen looks pretty in screenshots too, doesn't mean it's actually gonna exist/have even half the features promised. freelancer taught me the error of believing anyone when it comes to features in a space sim.

i mean it's still a rad game just not what was promised.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Sub-Actuality posted:

Elite is already the best version of this in many, many years

okay I'm a giant nerd with too much and bought it and a saitek x52 pro

is there anywhere that says what the default layout is? because "joy 15" means loving nothing to me

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

okay I'm a giant nerd with too much and bought it and a saitek x52 pro

is there anywhere that says what the default layout is? because "joy 15" means loving nothing to me

I think this is the default layout but honestly you'll probably be a lot happier if you eventually remap everything yourself, the default is kind of awkward.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Tachyon has:

-normal space physics + cool newtonian 'slide' mechanic
-freespace-style combat
-two story paths, each w/ unique ships and missions
-a not-awful plot featuring an incredibly over-the-top campy Bruce Campbell if that's your thing

so maybe try it?

Tachyon was pretty cool. The two sides weapons were too binary though. One side has weapons good against shields, the other side has weapons good against the hull. Both sides ships have Shields and hulls. No you can't ever combine weapons from both sides :/

Also there is a mission where you are defending the roof of the Sistine Chapel because some dude bought it and was shipping it across space.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Sub-Actuality posted:

I think this is the default layout but honestly you'll probably be a lot happier if you eventually remap everything yourself, the default is kind of awkward.

I found that thing when I was looking. It isn't the default, at least not currently.

All I could find is things that people set in the alpha or whatever when there wasn't a default mapping, and I think that is one.

Edit: I didn't find the one with the button numbers though. That helps a lot.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 8, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Powercrazy posted:

Also there is a mission where you are defending the roof of the Sistine Chapel because some dude bought it and was shipping it across space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htRArli-9UE&t=30s

Baron Hajod owned

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
For shootyships, I enjoyed Gimbal, though I haven't played it in awhile. I think it's goon-made, too, for what that's worth.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Get out your psx and play colony wars

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

UglyDucklett posted:

Get out your psx and play colony wars

I played the first two, which have their pros and cons making it hard to say one is better than the other, but not the third. Was it any good?

First two games were incredible though, and the ship design was really cool especially in the first.

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
escape velocity nova op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
transcendence was pretty fun

• Locked thread