Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

we are a Cold 2 preferring nation, so the hotter it gets, the faster our troops incur fatigue in battle. We're not going to want to fight under his dominions unless we can muck about with his scales a little.

This isn't really true. Cold 3 or Heat 3 give a +2 fatigue penalty in battle to units without resist cold/fire. This is particularly noticable with Lanka who has non-fire resistant demons and will probably be taking Heat 3 for the extra points. The only other impact that temperature has on your fatigue is whether or not your dudes are cold blooded. If they are, cold provinces make them fatigue faster, which doesn't really make any sense as it should instead impact on their defence and AP.

Cold + heat scales different from your preferred one simply impact your province income.

I could be wrong about this though so someone please correct me if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

scalded schlong posted:

This isn't really true. Cold 3 or Heat 3 give a +2 fatigue penalty in battle to units without resist cold/fire. This is particularly noticable with Lanka who has non-fire resistant demons and will probably be taking Heat 3 for the extra points. The only other impact that temperature has on your fatigue is whether or not your dudes are cold blooded. If they are, cold provinces make them fatigue faster, which doesn't really make any sense as it should instead impact on their defence and AP.

Cold + heat scales different from your preferred one simply impact your province income.

I could be wrong about this though so someone please correct me if so.

I'm pretty sure you're correct. As I've mentioned previously, I'm terrible at this game. This LP has certainly proven to be educational! Even having to write out all my decisions has made me reconsider a lot of stuff and make (what I think are) better choices.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kitfox88 posted:

I'm sure it's no big deal though.

Oh boy!

Actually I have no idea where this is going to go but I love seeing what can happen with extreme bad luck.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I can't wait for you to meet that one neighbor, ChickenWing.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Glazius posted:

Oh boy!

Actually I have no idea where this is going to go but I love seeing what can happen with extreme bad luck.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but it really didn't lead anywhere, at least so far. :v: I routinely take Misfortune 3, but all my other scales are positive ones. This limits the damage misfortune can do a fair bit, and the worst I tend to get is something like 'bla bla -10 income' or my favorite, 'bad omens! misfortune +3' :shepface:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but it really didn't lead anywhere, at least so far. :v: I routinely take Misfortune 3, but all my other scales are positive ones. This limits the damage misfortune can do a fair bit, and the worst I tend to get is something like 'bla bla -10 income' or my favorite, 'bad omens! misfortune +3' :shepface:

The best I tend to get is "Mountain passes are blocked. Taxes lost: 500 gold". Getting regularly hit by Bogus and friends, barbarians, rogue knights and a wandering wizard with a huge army at misfortune 1 has tought me how bad it can get.

So misfortune 3 is something I really don't like for some reason. :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Misfortune 3 is extra bad because it unlocks a bunch of province assaults from the standard Barbarian Horde to a goddamn army of War Trolls :stonk:

This is literally all it does; every single event that requires Misfortune 3 is some variant of 'a bunch of angry dudes attack your province'

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Flame112 posted:

I can't wait for you to meet that one neighbor, ChickenWing.

That is literally the moment the LP stops being about boring expansion.

Kitfox88 posted:

This limits the damage misfortune can do a fair bit, and the worst I tend to get is something like 'bla bla -10 income' or my favorite, 'bad omens! misfortune +3' :shepface:

You're a fucker. I take M1/2 regularly as dump scales, and the amount of +Misfortune events that happen makes me just want to go ahead and take M3 and be done with it. Of course, one day I'll do that and I'll get all of the "bad guys invade your poo poo" events at once on turn two and it'll be a *real* short game.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Neruz posted:

This is literally all it does; every single event that requires Misfortune 3 is some variant of 'a bunch of angry dudes attack your province'

This is probably why Kitfox is fine with it. I'd like to see War Trolls fight through 50 PD

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Boing posted:

This is probably why Kitfox is fine with it. I'd like to see War Trolls fight through 50 PD

There's a Troll King and Moose Knights as well as normal Trolls too!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Boing posted:

Bingo :smuggo:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Always claim the Throne of Misfortune, screw over yourself AND everybody else in the game!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Turn 6:

We continue to have turns jam-packed with excitement. Low evocation continues to be totally worthless. We can now cast...lightning bolt, shock wave and sometimes vine arrow.

Luckily, we stumbled upon something marginally interesting this turn. That greyed out message with the purple flag means that our scout got to watch modpud fight! Let's take a look, shall we?

Modpud's expansion army looks interesting. She's got amazons fighting with her, which means she either bought mercs or found an amazon-recruitment province already. Judging by the numbers and the presence of one of the amazon commanders, I'm going to go with the former. In terms of mainline troops, she's rocking a couple of satyr sneaks (her regular troops) and some Vanhere (the guys with Glamour). Vanhere were her cap-only troop pick, and what a pick they are. Same glamour, sacredness and stealth as my tuatha, but where we excel in defense, these guys rock on the offense. Berzerking and dual wielding turns them into an unstoppable meat-grinder on the battlefield.

Modpud's also brought her prophet with her:

Like us, she prophetized her starting commander. Unlike us, her starting commander is boring and lame. If this guy ever has to do get into a fight he's going to get wrecked right quick. Prophets usually shouldn't be in melee though, so it's not such a huge deal. Taking a closer look, it seems like he's got reinvigoration, which means that modpud's taken a bless!

:yikes:

Modpud has taken a W9E4 bless for her vanhere. This means that any sacreds of hers get 1.5x AP per turn (quickness), +4 defense and 2 reinvigoration. Defense is an obvious upgrade - her blessed vanhere are now defensively on par with my tuatha (actually, slightly better if you compare base prot scores). Quickness means that every other turn, the vanhere attack twice. Twice, with two attacks per turn. Twelve attacks per square. They were meat grinders before, with a w9 bless they can helicopter dick all over anyone and anything that they want. Reinvigoration replenishes their fatigue at the rate of 2 per turn, which doesn't seem like much but effectively doubles their combat effectiveness.

Yeah that's a whole lot more double-digit numbers than I want to fight. Modpud is absolutely either an early NAP or an early coalition target - no way in hell do I want to have to contend with those during expansion.

Arrows tag a couple of her chaff. Nobody is saddened.

My fight goes similarly well.

Elves are more slow and steady than vikings, but there's something to be said for plodding determination. It doesn't really make for great screenshot fodder though :v:

Now that I've expanded a reasonable amount, I'm to the point where I can max out my tuatha recruitment every turn. Tuatha have a much lower critical mass requirement than my garbage troops (and don't really need chaff), so we should be able to spin out expansion parties at a much greater rate. Speaking of which

We're sending one out this turn. We've finally got enough troops to warrant a second expansion force. Nothing fancy about these formations, just shove them to the front and point them at the bad guys.

After a quick glance at the map, I discover that the battle I saw was modpud clearing her capcircle

We now know the location of two of our neighbours, and they have pretty solidly closed off our southern expansion prospects. TIME TO GO EAST.

Expansion party number one heads to Copper Woods. I'll likely just keep them there and start fort construction now. I'd hit Cracklands, but I have no desire to bump modpud's troops, and that is likely to be her next destination. Expansion party number two heads to Oeperi. Hopefully, We'll manage to find some better prospects to the east - there's a throne in contest-range that I'd love to have a border with. Finally, if you look very closely...

We've got a domcandle to the north (cold and growth scales), which means that northern expansion needs to happen soon or not at all. Likely, whoever is up there is just barely north of that throne. Hopefully, I can have a new expansion party out soon enough to secure a token northern foothold, although I don't hold out hope for much more.

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 17, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Turn 4-7??

I think around this time I was meeting Xanxabar, the Realm of Brown. The poor guy had somehow attacked that throne a bit too early and was negotiating with me, testing out if I wanted that throne for myself.

And I welp, was still fighting with my own gently caress-ups and bad income, so I saw no way to get there first and negotiated a lengthy border in the east, followed by deciding to expand north and south.

So that candle ChickenWing saw was most likely the candle of Brown.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 17, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

This turn I expanded more! Shocker I know.

Also I guess it's a good thing modpud rage-AI'd eh.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Always claim the Throne of Misfortune, screw over yourself AND everybody else in the game!

Also ToM is hardly the most annoying throne in the game. That goes to Gaia or whatever the one that makes shittons of werewolf attacks happen is. :mad:

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 17, 2014

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Also ToM is hardly the most annoying throne in the game. That goes to Gaia or whatever the one that makes shittons of werewolf attacks happen is. :mad:

Best throne, Throne of Beasts, harbinger of the werewolf.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Apparently the Throne of Beasts doesn't do anything when claimed if it's underwater. I'm still kind of mad about that.

Also, lightning bolt is a good spell. Easy to research, easy to cast, large range, pretty accurate, does a decent amount of armor-negating damage, and throws in a small AoE stun on top of that. Great for sniping stuff.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

Ahem. Spoilers.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Apparently the Throne of Beasts doesn't do anything when claimed if it's underwater. I'm still kind of mad about that.

Also, lightning bolt is a good spell. Easy to research, easy to cast, large range, pretty accurate, does a decent amount of armor-negating damage, and throws in a small AoE stun on top of that. Great for sniping stuff.

It's a decent spell but it's nothing to write home about.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

!Spoilers!

Chickenwing just posted a tut tut to spoilers so I am editing my post.

To contribute, Chickenwing will you be posting irc chat logs or other diploma attempts when it comes up?

Donkringel fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 17, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

To contribute, Chickenwing will you be posting irc chat logs or other diploma attempts when it comes up?

Yeah, please do! I've already forgotten all my messages I've send from that time and I would like to see what the hell I wrote about.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Donkringel posted:

Yeah I've got a couple notes on vaguely interesting diplomatic things. Anything overly important. I'm pretty sure I left out a bunch of boring stuff like nap negotiations and whatnot

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Turn 7:

Nothing special this turn. Indy dies, nobody cries.

I'm actually kinda sad I lost the sidhe, I didn't figure anyone would die just yet. Archers are surprisingly good at popping glamours.

rip that one dude nobody cared about.

DIPLOMACY! I chatted with modpud betwixt these turns on IRC regarding borders. We settled on her getting Cracklands and me getting Mountains of Evernight and Copper Woods. We sealed the deal with a NAP that will last until the beginning of year 3. This is pretty much exactly how I wanted things to go (although I would have preferred to get Cracklands in the deal, but whatcha gonna do).

Anyways, here's what the map looks like right about now:

We've found even more friends! Diabl0658/Belgium is chilling out on that peninsula-thinger to the west and Rotekian/Rotekia is to the northeast. I send Diabl0658 a generic, noncommittal "let's be pals" tell on irc. We don't have much in the way of borders to negotiate, but it's still important to reach out to your neighbours, if only to gauge their potential hostility. To Rotekian, I inquire as to borders. I really want Black Marshes, if only to keep an eye on that throne. Plus, swamps have a higher chance to have sites. I note a domcandle in Polson Plains, due north of my capital. I have a worrying feeling that my expansion that way will be cut short much sooner than I'd prefer. I need to get an expansion party headed that way sooner rather than later.

In happier news, upon inspection of Copper Woods, I discover that I can recruit independent scouts there!

Scouting is critically important in dominions, and provinces like this are a gold mine. There is a slight problem though - I'm going to be building a fort here soon. That means mage recruitment, which means no more scouts. Figures. Much as it's important to have scout coverage, it's more important to have mages. Alas. I should get at least five or six scouts out of here before we switch recruitment over. I grab a commander first to build the fort - I want to keep this expansion army semi-mobile without interfering with fort construction.

Expansion this turn continues east

Expansion army one heads to Dommen, Expansion army two heads to Black Marshes. I'm hoping that Rotekian isn't heading towards Black Marshes this turn - I don't have a whole ton of dudes in that expansion army, and I don't want to risk losing their effectiveness in a skirmish with another expansion army. However, given that he's already expanded in this direction and doesn't seem to have gone farther, I think I'm safe.

Recruitment this turn is toned down a bit so that I can afford to start my fort next turn. I pick up some Triarii to get the most block for my buck [future me: christ on a cracker why didn't i just pick up more leves :cripes:). My scout circles The Cursed Water in the hopes of eventually finding my southern neighbours. I'm really pulling for them to be *far* to the south, my expansion has gone pretty awfully thus far.

MORE DIPLOMACY: Rotekian gets in contact with me after I finish my turn. He's in a different spot than I expected (further north than east), and is happy to not contest Black Marshes at all. We negotiate a 12-turn NAP, and he mentions that he's seen Xanrick to his south. I'm guessing Xanrick will be to the east of that throne. Hopefully I reach Comsath/Kseftia/southwards before him and can negotiate a decent border.

Rotekian
Jan 1, 2013
At this point I knew the location of Xanrick's capital. I was hoping you'd swing into Kseftia this turn rather than go elsewhere.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

ChickenWing posted:

I'm actually kinda sad I lost the sidhe, I didn't figure anyone would die just yet. Archers are surprisingly good at popping glamours.

That's because glamours don't work against ranged attacks. So if someone is massing a poo poo ton of elves that you can't hit, archers are a decent way to poke through their stupid elven magic.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turn 6

Another uneventful early game turn.

I do find my first neighbor this round, Libluico has been spotted by my scout. This is the player in the position that I am likely going to target first if it's a favorable matchup due to sailing, and it looks like it is. He's got Tien Chi generic infantry/archers, some fire mages, and hydras. Hydras can be annoying but I just picked up Throne of Thorns so their poison will do literally nothing. Also they are weak to fire weapons and I have those. Not going to charge in immediately as I have lots of easy gold provinces still left to scoop up but the wheels have been set in motion to invade.

Elephant province cleared with no jags lost.

Big dumb idiot and his crew move out with a few fresh Retiarius for arrow catching to take another province. I use 5 to make it highly unlikely they will route in the 4 or so rounds it takes jaguars to burn through the archer chaff.

Heroic ponyman takes his group plus some cap reinforcements to go take that other farm by my cap.

Other than that, just a few more jags and another Airya Seraph are recruited from my cap along with another indie commander.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turn 7

Yet another uneventfu... what the gently caress? God dammit kitfox. I don't even neighbor you yet.

If I win I want it be legit without stains upon my scarce to nonexistent e-honor. The message sent was something to the effect of "Don't send me gold god dammit I don't even border you or know where you are. Send anymore without it being a legitimate bribe and I'll forever war you."

The province to the west is taken without real losses from the indies, and then defended successfully from a bump from Diabl0's nation involving 2 merc groups. It did cost me 6 jags though, the first to die RIP. I send a generic lets be friends message. He has flying raiders and though I could patrol it with the fliers I took it would be incredibly bad for my economy. Also he has fire shielded sacreds who also don't care about my Jaguar's fire weapons so I don't want to fight him anyways.

At this point Modpud scouts me (she is apparently northwest) and contacts me on IRC. I negotiate borders with her cause I know she has w9 Vanhere and they are quite capable of trading kills with my jags. It's a very bad idea to engage in an early game war that isn't a complete stomp, and this one would surely be a grueling and indecisive one.

On the other side, farm cleared without real losses. Chaffy birdmen do not count.

More attacks are ordered with formations adjusted to provide arrow decoys for the jaguars.

At my cap, I recruit some more Retiarius and Jaguars along with another Airya Seraph. Scout is tasked with keeping an eye on my designated target and stops exploring.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 18, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I just wanted to help you after your poor expansion because you were destined to fight the modpud tide of being a shitter

Anyway I expanded more, met Flame's nation, met some other nation to my southeast who literally has not even contacted me yet, and met Gentleman's nation to my south. I also started making olms and, stupidly, some minotaurs. :downs:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Turn 8:

In which :ducksiren: HOLY poo poo THINGS HAPPEN :ducksiren:

...but not yet.

Expansion goes swimmingly, as per usual now that I'm fighting with unshit troops. Tuatha are seriously legit.

beep boop gently caress the indies

Dicks arcing in parabolic trajectories. The map now looks like

This!

:cripes:

So, Belgium has taken the province to the north of my cap. Nice of him to clear out those barbarians, but I'm going to need that back posthaste. Southern expansion has been cut off by Libluini. I chat with him on IRC, and he's not going to budge on taking Comsath. While I likely *could* take on his generic pikes and archers, something else has come up that needs my full attention

:siren: HOLY poo poo DIPLO LEAKS :siren: posted:

code:
(10:51:52 PM) ChickenWing: Diabl0658: 
(10:52:14 PM) Diabl0658: hi
(10:52:17 PM) ChickenWing: hi
(10:52:28 PM) ChickenWing: a province you just took in nationdraft
(10:52:31 PM) ChickenWing: is in my capcircle
(10:52:40 PM) Krab|Henry is now known as Atomikkrab
(10:52:42 PM) ChickenWing: I would be much obliged if you'd vacate asap and leave no pd
(10:52:43 PM) ChickenWing: :3
(10:53:01 PM) Diabl0658: send me 80 gold and its yours
(10:53:04 PM) Diabl0658: with no pd
(10:53:15 PM) Diabl0658: i took massive casaulties in that fight
(10:53:21 PM) Diabl0658: relatively speaking
(10:53:33 PM) Gentleman: Why are you attacking me diablo 
(10:53:48 PM) Diabl0658: because i want your provinces
(10:54:04 PM) Gentleman: well ok if you want an early war 
(10:54:08 PM) Gentleman: make no deal with him chickenwing, he'll be busy 
(10:54:13 PM) ChickenWing: okeydokey
(10:54:31 PM) Diabl0658: not really
(10:54:44 PM) ChickenWing: That's okay I don't want to pay 80 gold anyways

Ladies and Gentlemen, the era of peaceful expansion has ended. Today, Fowlland prepares for war.

NEXT TIME ON "ELVES GONE WILD": nothing interesting

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 20, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I continued expanding and some poo poo! Hurray.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So yeah, at this point I successfully negotiate my way into Comsath, which is good because it's a significant boost to my income (which in turn is sad again).

I think around that time my expansion to the north and east came to a grinding halt thanks to neighbours, and in the west there was this lake I couldn't cross, so I slowly swung around to the south. Also I added more generic pikemen and archers and started to add more mages to the mix.

At this point I finally remembered: Mixing monsters with poison clouds, mages with heat aura and generic dudes is not really synergistic, to say the least. Welp, the reason I took those generic units was: The pikemen had length 6 weapons to repel almost everything, the archers had composite bows with longer reach and more precision than bog-standard bows.

Of course as it turned out, I should have taken units with heat/poison resistance, instead of trying to combine a standard army with various snake monsters. Oops!

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
I can't help but think that his decision on an early war is an incredibly poor idea for a number of reasons.
#1. The 1st year isn't over yet, so you have a lot of indies still up for the taking.
#2. Unless you have some sort of double/tribless murder machines, early wars rarely finish quickly.
#3. Being locked in an early war makes a very tempting target for anyone looking for easy territory to take because your armies will have been depleted, without having the territory to replace them.

Not that I blame Chickenwing for what he is forced to do. Never give up provinces in your cap circle. But the other guy's decision is odd.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Gaghskull posted:

I can't help but think that his decision on an early war is an incredibly poor idea for a number of reasons.
#1. The 1st year isn't over yet, so you have a lot of indies still up for the taking.
#2. Unless you have some sort of double/tribless murder machines, early wars rarely finish quickly.
#3. Being locked in an early war makes a very tempting target for anyone looking for easy territory to take because your armies will have been depleted, without having the territory to replace them.

Not that I blame Chickenwing for what he is forced to do. Never give up provinces in your cap circle. But the other guy's decision is odd.

He has a super special secret though that makes it sorta worth it

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

He has a super special secret though that makes it sorta worth it

Which leads into me feeling pretty good later on. :smuggo:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turn 8

More expansion and no losses aside from an arrow catcher.

Libluico troops are sighted on my borders taking my waste, which I just noticed has a shitload of gold on it and probably has a gold mine. Jaguars are ordered in immediately. I also move up another jaguar group north.

More jags, retiarius, and an acolyte are recruited. Acolyte instead of mage because I am starting a fort next turn and if I recruit a seraph I won't have enough gold.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Turn 9:

Last time, I made a terrible decision. Today, you get to find out why it's terrible!

~diplo leak zone~ posted:

(10:54:00 PM) ChickenWing: wanna fite him?
(10:54:16 PM) Gentleman: yes
(10:54:19 PM) Gentleman: I am going to
(10:54:20 PM) ChickenWing: cool beans
(10:54:22 PM) ChickenWing: i will also fite
(10:54:23 PM) Gentleman: since he attacked me
(10:55:06 PM) Gentleman: modpud also attacked me so they are probably in league
(10:55:13 PM) ChickenWing: how vexing
(10:55:23 PM) ChickenWing: I'd offer to help with modpud but I just napped her
(11:00:20 PM) Gentleman: oh, he has already raided my cap up to 118 unrest
(11:00:31 PM) Gentleman: in like 1-2 turns, I didnt notice
(11:00:50 PM) Gentleman: sooo yeah rush him hard or he'll do the same to you
(11:02:03 PM) ChickenWing: oh right mairyas
(11:02:14 PM) ChickenWing: that's some poo poo

(11:02:41 PM) Gentleman: what a balanced and fun game mechanic that raiding is

Diablo took for his cap-only mage draft Mairya Ahus. Mairya Ahus are not mages. Mairya Ahus are simply flying commanders with a very particular ability. Mairya Ahus have the raid ability.

All commanders have the ability to pillage a province. This kills some of the population and steals some gold. The problem is, you can only do this to your own provinces. It's not particularly effective and skyrockets unrest, so really it's not very useful, even as a scorched earth tactic. Some commanders have a pillage bonus - they count as extra units when pillaging. There's also a hidden benefit to this bonus - they can "raid" which is essentially remote pillaging. Normally, not notable - you can only raid where you could normally move, which for boring landlocked units means adjacent provinces. Patrols and PD can catch raiders, so it's reasonably easy to counter this, and unless you let someone having a province next to one of your forts, it's not particularly harmful. Enter the flying raider. Units with flying can raid anywhere within mapmove 3. Flying raiding is also bugged, so that flying raiders will :siren:NEVER BE CAUGHT:siren:. What this means is that with a token force of commanders, a nation can destroy the population, steal the gold and skyrocket the unrest of, say, somebody's capital.

Not that I'm foreshadowing or anything.

ANYWAYS, on to what's going down this turn.

Messages! I love getting mail!

Chill bros for lyfe.

Translation: "Oh god I'm so hosed please send help". Got your back, buddy.

Other than that messages are boring. Evocations 3 begins to bear fruit - we can now cast Mist and Shadow bolt. Not extraordinarily exciting, but useful for sure.

Here's what the map looks like now:

To our north: Belgium and a bunch of cataphracts that we re-he-heaaaaaaaally don't want to touch right now. To our east, Libliuni, Rotekian and Xanrick have us cut off from more lebensraum. In the south, modpud is non-visibly moving on Gentleman's holdings to the west of that throne in Golem Range. We also catch a glimpse of a dickbutt flag to the far south - looks like monkee is *way* far away from us. In the west, if you look really closely you can make out a group of pixels under the flag in Worldpillar - Belgium is mustering a Gentleman-invasion force that looks to be mostly atavi archers with some Dawn Guard sprinkled in. From Worldpillar, he can move on Mountains of Evernight or Lovendalon - I'm counting on him to be focusing on Gentleman, leaving me to my fort construction in peace.

I appear to have not taken any screenshots of the rest of this turn, but it went pretty simply. I'm recruiting Tuatha and Sidhe warriors in my cap to the resource cap. I pump Copper Woods PD to 15, just in case Diablo does decide to threaten it - indy PD sucks, but once I have a fort it'll be useful and in the meantime it provides chaff so that my good troops don't have to take hits. Plus, more javelins. I chat with Xanrick a bit and make sure that we're cool - I now have a generally secure border in the east, and while I'd prefer to have taken more space, having non-aggressive neighbours is the next best thing.

Finally, the army that I've been building in my cap finally begins the invasion, marching on Polson Plains. Now the fun part begins!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Flying raiders is a stupid bug and pretty bullshit so you'd hope people would be above that until it gets patched out but welp.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah you'd hope that

You'd have those hopes dashed though.

Also, this turn I get my site searching online! And I found a site!

Oh, okay. :smith:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah you'd hope that

You'd have those hopes dashed though.

Also, this turn I get my site searching online! And I found a site!

Oh, okay. :smith:

Don't worry it has a hidden attribute that makes it even better!

%1 Horrormark

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Don't worry it has a hidden attribute that makes it even better!

%1 Horrormark

:suicide: That'd explain the horror marks on a few of the dudes I left through there while temple building then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Also after being found it usually triggers a world event that randomly horror marks people across the entire map!

• Locked thread