Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Honestly, I didn't even recognize her at first because of the different hair.

Same actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Grouchio posted:

Did the Persona 5 LP break you that badly?

Grouchio this is weird

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Between that and Deku's hair I was like "wait, are we looking into an alternate universe or something!?"

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arist posted:

lmao right on the money huh

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Cant read can you.

ZMB, I think you're getting way too passionate about whether or not somebody likes/dislikes an aspect of a fictional piece of media, even if they're being irrational or potentially baiting for arguments.

And likewise Arist, if you don't want to have this discussion, you can just walk away and ignore the posters talking about it. You don't have to engage with them or justify yourself, prolonging out this tiring argument that just goes in circles and makes other posters upset.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Yeah I assumed it was one of the class B people that I had just forgotten about until they namedropped her. I like the hairstyle but it's weird that this is the first time we're seeing it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1307010741816365056?s=20

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_as_catch_can

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

so uh is Midoriya missing his arm in the last two page spread? that seems bad

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I feel like I’ve seen ponytail!Ochako somewhere before

Fake edit:

Here it is

https://twitter.com/horikoshi_art/status/1259503462766702593?s=21

New one looks better though

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Carlosologist posted:

so uh is Midoriya missing his arm in the last two page spread? that seems bad

It's flopping behind him, most likely broken into 17 pieces.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Like the rest of his limbs, Izuku's arm is attached to his body by exactly two (2) paperclips and a rubberband.

The rubberband has snapped.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Deku and Mirko get matching robot arms after the time skip

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, that arm attachment (or whatever it was) Deku got in the first movie seemed to work pretty well. Why not just build him a sturdier version of that so he doesn’t shatter most of his bones every time he fights?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, that arm attachment (or whatever it was) Deku got in the first movie seemed to work pretty well. Why not just build him a sturdier version of that so he doesn’t shatter most of his bones every time he fights?

Watson: All inventions on I Island are the property of the island’s international committee, and they are unlikely to sign off on official production of a teenage girl’s design especially considering the situation of her terrorist-abetting father.

Doyle: lol what movie

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Looking through Horikoshi's old pre-MHA art and he really does have some motifs he digs

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Larryb posted:

I forget, if someone who already has a quirk of their own gets One For All does their existing quirk get a boost of some kind?

Also, not sure why Ochako suddenly has a ponytail but it's a pretty good look for her.

It did in the Heroes Rising movie when Bakugo got it briefly his explosions were noticeably stronger and larger than before and were just outright melting the ground.

Also worth noting is that Navel Laser was way more powerful in that movie than he's ever been in the series.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Fabricated posted:

Looking through Horikoshi's old pre-MHA art and he really does have some motifs he digs

Yeah, black whip seemed natural to me because I remember in Barrage the hero's weapon was also a big mess of harsh angled black lines.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

After this arc, someone is going to have to sit Deku down and have a long talk with him about this suicidal self sacrificing streak he's got going. You know, assuming he's still capable of talking after he's done tearing himself apart trying to stop Shigaraki.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Rhonne posted:

After this arc, someone is going to have to sit Deku down and have a long talk with him about this suicidal self sacrificing streak he's got going. You know, assuming he's still capable of talking after he's done tearing himself apart trying to stop Shigaraki.

if there is ever a time to be self sacrificial i think this is it

shigaraki is exponentially more powerful than anyone on the battlefield and has essentially effortlessly defeated the STRONGEST hero in japan while having the vast majority of his abilities turned off while also not being at his full power. deku's fully in the right to throw caution to the wind here for anything resembling a victory because he doesn't even know that things are about the get even worse with a literal mountain man arriving shortly

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

tbp posted:

if there is ever a time to be self sacrificial i think this is it

shigaraki is exponentially more powerful than anyone on the battlefield and has essentially effortlessly defeated the STRONGEST hero in japan while having the vast majority of his abilities turned off while also not being at his full power. deku's fully in the right to throw caution to the wind here for anything resembling a victory because he doesn't even know that things are about the get even worse with a literal mountain man arriving shortly

Yeah if the story is trying to paint Deku's self sacrificial nature as a negative trait, it's doing a poor job of it. The only time he's really self sacrificed that was anywhere near optional was during the sports festival, and then you could argue he didn't know he was causing permanent damage. Every time since then he's either needed to cause permanent damage or let himself and others die.

He needs to be put in more situations where he DOESN'T need to go all-out, but chooses to anyways because he thinks self-sacrifice makes him a better hero. Have a situation where another hero COULD handle it, but Deku steps in anyways cus he doesn't want to risk the other hero getting hurt or he thinks it's always his own duty to do the saving as the owner of OFA.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Also, when put in a situation where he doesn’t have to go all out, he doesn’t. Boy handled the whole Gentle thing extremely well.

Edit: Huh. There might be something to that. Everyone keeps talking about how Deku doesn't need to constantly break himself to help others, but then they keep letting him get into situations where he has to. The only other heroes you can really say were willing to go beyond to the body-demolishing extreme Deku is that we've seen are All Might, Endeavor, Lemillion, Red Riot, and Eraserhead. I don't think anyone else but them really has room to talk about how this kid needs to stop breaking himself when he keeps being the only one in a situation willing to step up to that degree.

Edit 2: I don't think we've ever really even seen Bakugo injured except for that time during the Exam?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 19, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah if the story is trying to paint Deku's self sacrificial nature as a negative trait, it's doing a poor job of it.

I mean that's par for the course about violence in the comic. It tries to hit home a lot about how "You're going too far and loving yourself over forever" and then basically hard cutting to the kids putting each other in Yamcha craters for fun and training and everyone laughs it off.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit 2: I don't think we've ever really even seen Bakugo injured except for that time during the Exam?

The only time in series where Bakugo has openly pushed himself too far and started breaking himself was when he fought All Might, because he judged(correctly) that the only possible way he could actually fight someone like All Might with anything approaching success was by pulling out all the stops. His whole "combat genius" thing also seems to extend to him having an innate understanding of how to judge exactly how hard he'll need to go to win when he fights.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think it can be argued that Deku doesn't need to sacrifice himself in this situation. Shigaraki's body is breaking down so the damage is starting to take effect. Meanwhile with Shoto cooling down Endeavor he's almost back into the fight. If Deku just stalled Shigaraki out and kept him in the air until Endeavor and Bakugo get there to wail on him with ranged attacks that might have been the smarter play.

As it is, it's looking likely that he's going to permanently gently caress his arm up. Maybe need a brace to function from now on.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Nephthys posted:

I think it can be argued that Deku doesn't need to sacrifice himself in this situation. Shigaraki's body is breaking down so the damage is starting to take effect. Meanwhile with Shoto cooling down Endeavor he's almost back into the fight. If Deku just stalled Shigaraki out and kept him in the air until Endeavor and Bakugo get there to wail on him with ranged attacks that might have been the smarter play.

As it is, it's looking likely that he's going to permanently gently caress his arm up. Maybe need a brace to function from now on.

Deku fully believes that he and he alone must stop Shigaraki and All For One no matter what and that's got Bakugo super worried. He's basically begging Endeavor to end this with his next attack before Deku does something stupid.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Deku and Mirko are gonna bond over both losing their arms today.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Nephthys posted:

It's not like Deku can really risk holding back. If he doesn't go all out and it's not enough, Shiggy will then evaporate him and all the pro heroes and then possibly all of society. Yeah Endeavor may be able to handle it, but do you really want to gamble if he can't? Especially since Deku has put Shigaraki in the perfect position for Deku to attack safely.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Kill Six Billion Demons is great and everyone should read it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I really do appreciate the "aw gently caress" face Shigaraki has at the end of this chapter

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Nephthys posted:

are we reading the same story? shigaraki, despite his body exploding, has been nonchalantly dominating several of the best pro heroes while simultaneously releasing amorphous waves of death and destruction that have killed god knows how many people already. the story isn't telling us "deku is being wacky for risking his life here!" its telling us "the hero world is on the brink of collapse right here, right now"

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

tbp posted:

are we reading the same story? shigaraki, despite his body exploding, has been nonchalantly dominating several of the best pro heroes while simultaneously releasing amorphous waves of death and destruction that have killed god knows how many people already. the story isn't telling us "deku is being wacky for risking his life here!" its telling us "the hero world is on the brink of collapse right here, right now"

Shigaraki can't fly though, and he's apparently at enough of a disadvantage right now that even Deku can dominate him in the air. If Deku just keeps him wrapped up with the black whip and flies around hitting him enough so he can't get back the ground or recover I think he'd hold out until Endeavor came to finish Shigaraki off. With Deku's help Endeavor can nail him with a Flashfire Fist or a Hell Spider and likely do enough damage at this point to win. The way I see it, Shigaraki is the one on the clock here before his body breaks down while Deku has reinforcements on the way.

I'm reading this chapter the other way that you are, Bakugo's flashback highlighted Deku's lack of care for himself and Bakugo is making GBS threads bricks right now that Deku's going to destroy himself. I don't think Horikoshi is setting that up for nothing. I think it's being set up that Deku is going to come up just short of beating Shigaraki while crippling himself and Shigaraki is going to escape.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 20, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Also, this gives us the opportunity to see what Hori intends to do with Toga being into seeing Deku mangled going forward.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Nephthys posted:

Shigaraki can't fly though, and he's apparently at enough of a disadvantage right now that even Deku can dominate him in the air. If Deku just keeps him wrapped up with the black whip and flies around hitting him enough so he can't get back the ground or recover I think he'd hold out until Endeavor came to finish Shigaraki off. With Deku's help Endeavor can nail him with a Flashfire Fist or a Hell Spider and likely do enough damage at this point to win. The way I see it, Shigaraki is the one on the clock here before his body breaks down while Deku has reinforcements on the way.

I'm reading this chapter the other way that you are, Bakugo's flashback highlighted Deku's lack of care for himself and Bakugo is making GBS threads bricks right now that Deku's going to destroy himself. I don't think Horikoshi is setting that up for nothing. I think it's being set up that Deku is going to come up just short of beating Shigaraki while crippling himself and Shigaraki is going to escape.
You can't simultaneously say that "Deku comes short and lets Shigaraki escape" while also saying the heroes that have up to now been ineffective and will also let Shigaraki get away (in order to fulfill your narrative) are thus effective.

Furthermore, if Endeavor could actually finish the job on Endeavor, it's only because Deku has nailed Shigaraki with enough 100% punches that even the super regeneration isn't keeping up (as mentioned in this chapter).

The fact of the matter is, this entire group of heroes would have been already dead if not for Deku's desperate actions. Even if the heroes get to finish the job, it'll still only be because they got to cherry tap Shigaraki after Deku 100% pounded Shigaraki down into the red

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i also dont really agree that shigaraki "can't fly". like yeah idt he has an outright flight quirk but he can deifnitely approximate it and now that eraser is out of commision he has full access to afo again, they cannot stop beating the poo poo out of him for even a second rn

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

We can all agree tho the most important part of the chapter was Ochako’s ponytail

If we do get a skip forward, will be interesting to see new designs for everyone

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Shigaraki can kind of propel himself around with air blasts but it doesn't seem like he has anywhere near the maneuverability that Deku, Endeavor or Bakugo have in the air. My point is that as long as Deku keeps him lasso'd and flies around hitting him, Shigaraki can't get back to the ground to fight on his terms and is outright losing to just Deku in midair with reinforcements incoming.

I'm not saying Deku didn't 100% save everyones asses. He's the only reason they're still in this fight, which is why him potentially KO'ing himself is such a risky move. If Deku puts himself in too bad a condition to keep Shigaraki in the air, they lose. Shigaraki can either escape or touch the ground again. If he holds out until Endeavor gets there he can just whip him into his attacks and Shigaraki can't dodge them like he has until now.

This is all speculation of course, I just think Deku's being set up as being really reckless here. Hori has subverted our expectations in this fight a bunch already though so who knows.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Think of it this way, Deku thinks he and he alone must be the one to defeat Shigaraki, no matter what, which is the same kind of thinking All Might had when he became the Symbol of Peace and fought All For One and look at how that worked out for him.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Rhonne posted:

Think of it this way, Deku thinks he and he alone must be the one to defeat Shigaraki, no matter what, which is the same kind of thinking All Might had when he became the Symbol of Peace and fought All For One and look at how that worked out for him.

This gets said a lot but I really don't see it. All Might WAS the only one who could stand up to OFA, much less defeat him.

Futhermore, the MHA world already has not only the Justice League, but the Justice League Unlimited. And while it was more than enough for the threats that existed after All Might took care of OFA, it's not nearly enough against OFA-revived, Gigantomachia or Shigaraki++. If that was supposed to be the message (as opposed to just fan opinion), then the current events have pretty much invalidated it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ChronoReverse posted:

This gets said a lot but I really don't see it. All Might WAS the only one who could stand up to OFA, much less defeat him.

Futhermore, the MHA world already has not only the Justice League, but the Justice League Unlimited. And while it was more than enough for the threats that existed after All Might took care of OFA, it's not nearly enough against OFA-revived, Gigantomachia or Shigaraki++. If that was supposed to be the message (as opposed to just fan opinion), then the current events have pretty much invalidated it.

The fan theory about "the justice league ending" isn't a matter of "there is more than one hero now", because there's already more than one hero. Look at it this way - there's a gazillion bazillion pro heroes in MHA, but only All Might was the Symbol of Peace and everyone poo poo the bed and began panicking wildly when All Might tapped out, despite there still being a gazillion bazillion pro heroes. It's not even a matter of "other heroes can't handle threats like AfO" because the public at large doesn't know AfO exists or who he is and they don't know clear details about the Kamino fight either. The point of a "justice league ending" is establishing public faith in heroes as an institution through collective action rather than in one single hero in particular, because the latter works out amazingly as long as you have a workaholic ubermensch around to kill himself by playing hero 24/7 but falls apart the moment he can't any more.

That said, I think the justice league ending theory has gotten increasingly distant not because "well only Deku can handle superpowerful threats like Shigaraki", but because the manga seems very, very fixated on only making very few of the kids matter narratively at all - basically Deku and Bakugo, for the most part, with occasional Shoto boosting - and increasingly relegating the rest of them to nearly nonexistent background bit roles, which is the opposite narrative road you'd want to go if the idea was to promote a more collective ending regarding heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The reason All Might was the pillar was because he has the power to pull it off. It's easy to say "that's silly, they should believe in all the heroes" but logically that's only a valid premise if the other heroes could (collectively) do what All Might does.

The MHA world right from the beginning was cultivating young heroes, distributed heroing all around, had the top heroes (not just All Might) inspiring more, etc., but All Might made that possible in the first place because he recognized the need for and stood up to be the pillar.

This idea that All Might was somehow stalling the transition is wrong in the first place and the whole reason the pillar collapsed is because of a singularly immense threat that nothing but he could stand up to in the first place.

Furthermore, in the relatively peaceful world at the start of MHA, All Might gave OFA to quirkless Deku in recognition that such a world could use more heroes rather than concentrating power into an individual. Frankly, if he had precognition and had given it to Mirio instead, a lot of the current threats would be taken care of but that's just hindsight.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 20, 2020