Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Smalmight is wholesome because he puts in the effort to become a good teacher now that he can't punch good no more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Maybe they should have made All Might get a teaching degree or something before giving him this job.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Maybe they should have made All Might get a teaching degree or something before giving him this job.

Private schools aren't regulated! Support public hero education!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

His course at least appears to be practical heroics? So the hope is likely he’s just going to be using his own experiences to teach young heroes how to actually perform in the field. Plus given the original intent was finding a successor a practical course definitely would provide the best opportunity to see who is an acceptable successor.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Soon All Might will learn to gaslight kids about expulsion, and his teacher training will be complete.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

christmas boots posted:

“Using 100% of your power hurts you? Try using less!”

Although lol that the advice to stop thinking of OfA as something special and just something innate came from Gran Torino and not him, the only other quirkless holder.

If anything, that makes more sense - like Deku, All-Might sees the power gifted to him as special and existing apart from the bearer (which it does, so it's not an unfair impression). It'd take someone who was born with a quirk and was raised to see it as an innate part of themselves to pass on that perspective to Deku.

As for why All-Might never had to learn that lesson, it's the same reason he never had to learn any lessons. I'm actually kind of curious what, if anything, he did learn as a student? We saw young All-Might briefly in the start of that movie, but he seemed the same as he always does. It's not clear how he actually developed between first meeting the previous One For All holder and defeating All For One.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Flesnolk posted:

It’s the same idea as successful athletes not necessarily being able to coach.

Right? Imagine being coached by like, Gretzky. "How to score a goal? Just flip the puck between three defenders to draw them away, banking it off a teammate back to you then take a corner shot on goal. Simple."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dolash posted:

If anything, that makes more sense - like Deku, All-Might sees the power gifted to him as special and existing apart from the bearer (which it does, so it's not an unfair impression). It'd take someone who was born with a quirk and was raised to see it as an innate part of themselves to pass on that perspective to Deku.

As for why All-Might never had to learn that lesson, it's the same reason he never had to learn any lessons. I'm actually kind of curious what, if anything, he did learn as a student? We saw young All-Might briefly in the start of that movie, but he seemed the same as he always does. It's not clear how he actually developed between first meeting the previous One For All holder and defeating All For One.
I assume All Might learned practical heroing stuff as well as applications of OFA, he just never had to learn how to use OFA safely between it being weaker and him being the size of three or four Dekus. He was presumably a fitness head before getting OFA, given how successful he was as a personal trainer for Deku before giving him the Quirk.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
When faced with the crushing prospect that, being quirkless, his dream of being a hero was an impossibility, rather than just never exercising and spending all day on his phone looking at the Instagram profiles of cool heroes like Deku, All Might seems to have decided to get as yoked as he could. So he's clearly leagues more intelligent than Deku anyway.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dolash posted:

I believe Gran Torino said it was mostly combat training and then the anime cut to a younger all might getting punched in the gut so hard he threw up

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

christmas boots posted:

I believe Gran Torino said it was mostly combat training and then the anime cut to a younger all might getting punched in the gut so hard he threw up

Yeah, he had the power and the body for that power but no real fighting style or training thereof, which is what Gran Torino specifically beat into him.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rohan Kishibe posted:

When faced with the crushing prospect that, being quirkless, his dream of being a hero was an impossibility, rather than just never exercising and spending all day on his phone looking at the Instagram profiles of cool heroes like Deku, All Might seems to have decided to get as yoked as he could. So he's clearly leagues more intelligent than Deku anyway.
That's one thing that did always bother me about Deku, and I'm not sure if the manga has ever properly really addressed that? Yeah, he talks a lot about how he was given the opportunities, but before he got that golden ticket, he pretty much just gave up. I have to imagine All Might's answer to his question about "can anyone be a hero" might've been a little different if the fourteen year old asking him about it was loving swole.

...hell, Deku and Kirishima would have a lot to talk about, with both of them musing on their regrets about wistfully dreaming about heroism without actually doing anything.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

PMush Perfect posted:

That's one thing that did always bother me about Deku, and I'm not sure if the manga has ever properly really addressed that? Yeah, he talks a lot about how he was given the opportunities, but before he got that golden ticket, he pretty much just gave up. I have to imagine All Might's answer to his question about "can anyone be a hero" might've been a little different if the fourteen year old asking him about it was loving swole.

...hell, Deku and Kirishima would have a lot to talk about, with both of them musing on their regrets about wistfully dreaming about heroism without actually doing anything.

This always bothered the poo poo out of me too. Bakugo was jacked as gently caress by the time he got to UA and that has nothing to do with his quirk so he was clearly preparing himself for the future. The fact that Deku never so much as lifted some weights or started jogging before All Might started training him was kind of irritating to me. He's talking a big game about being a hero some day but putting no effort into the idea. Not that it excuses Bakugo's bullying of him, but if I was Bakugo, I'd be pretty annoyed too at this dumb kid talking about being a hero while not even trying. Take some martial arts lessons at least, Deku, jesus christ. You can't even defend yourself from middle school bullies.

But I did watch a video awhile back, I think when the anime first started airing, and while I have absolutely no idea if this is accurate or not, the guy in the video claimed that in the original Japanese, it's meant to be implied that even Deku doesn't actually believe he can be a hero at that point in middle school. It's just a dream for the future that gets him through the day at a point in his life where he's otherwise miserable. It's not meant to be an actionable plan or something he thinks is really possible. All Might telling him no at first is just popping the bubble of his illusion.

I'm not sure how much I believe this is actually canon and something Horikoshi thought of, but it at least keeps me from being pissed about it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

But I did watch a video awhile back, I think when the anime first started airing, and while I have absolutely no idea if this is accurate or not, the guy in the video claimed that in the original Japanese, it's meant to be implied that even Deku doesn't actually believe he can be a hero at that point in middle school. It's just a dream for the future that gets him through the day at a point in his life where he's otherwise miserable. It's not meant to be an actionable plan or something he thinks is really possible. All Might telling him no at first is just popping the bubble of his illusion.

I'm not sure how much I believe this is actually canon and something Horikoshi thought of, but it at least keeps me from being pissed about it.
I mean, yeah, that's the read of it that makes sense in retrospect, but nothing was done with that, either.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Deku in the first chapter is literally just supposed to be the typical Shonen Jump fan in that age group, and all that implies.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yeah I always took it as part of what's up with Izuku at the beginning is he's desperate for anyone to tell him otherwise, but ultimately doesn't believe in being a hero himself. Most notably, his books are the grand extent of his "heroism" goal, and those are just as useful for a support/engineer, which is likely where he'd have ended up if not for All Might (which in of itself could create a pretty fascinating story).

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

This always bothered the poo poo out of me too. Bakugo was jacked as gently caress by the time he got to UA and that has nothing to do with his quirk so he was clearly preparing himself for the future. The fact that Deku never so much as lifted some weights or started jogging before All Might started training him was kind of irritating to me. He's talking a big game about being a hero some day but putting no effort into the idea. Not that it excuses Bakugo's bullying of him, but if I was Bakugo, I'd be pretty annoyed too at this dumb kid talking about being a hero while not even trying. Take some martial arts lessons at least, Deku, jesus christ. You can't even defend yourself from middle school bullies.

I'd think it's more that being bullied your whole life and having someone constantly undermine your self-worth doesn't exactly inspire someone towards improvement. When Deku does indicate he aspires towards that Bakugo responds with public physical intimidation and forces him to admit he can't 'compete' with him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
All Might wasn't yoked to start out with, if anything he looked pretty weedy in his youngest, pre-OFA images.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Fabricated posted:

All Might wasn't yoked to start out with, if anything he looked pretty weedy in his youngest, pre-OFA images.

He was still absurdly tall (taller than Mirio even) and reasonably muscled, just not life-time superman body-builder Mr Incredible muscled.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
https://w23.readheroacademia.com/manga/boku-no-hero-academia-chapter-308/

Here we go

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

poo poo, I think Deku might be cool now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fat and Useless posted:

I refuse

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Remember to not take what happens in the first 20 chapters of a Shonen Jump manga as gospel but also being a Hero for Deku was literally, completely impossible because in MHA a Hero is a professional with a quirk

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Hot drat! Let's go!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So if in reading that right, Deku used Black Whip to cut the tendons in Muscular's uhh muscles, causing them to fall apart and make him vulnerable? I like it, Deku beat him by fighting smart, not just punching him better.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rhonne posted:

So if in reading that right, Deku used Black Whip to cut the tendons in Muscular's uhh muscles, causing them to fall apart and make him vulnerable? I like it, Deku beat him by fighting smart, not just punching him better.

Quake guy’s power wasn’t useless and did de-stabilize Muscular’s muscles, it just took a lot more exertion to get it to kick in.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Yeah seems like Deku constrained him purely so that if he tried to break out it'd wear out his tendons completely by breaking out of his enhanced black whip, after the dude's vibration attack, fighting by using the obvious weaknesses and not getting into a fight of who punches stronger also prevented what would've likely been far more destruction and potential casulaties compared to this approach. Also this let him try to reach Muscular in some way even if it seems to be utterly futile at this point.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Deku: "Hey, do you have a tragic backstory that will make me feel bad for you?"

Muscular: "Nah, I just like killin people."

Deku: "Got it, SMASH!"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Looks like Vigilantes is getting a color spread to celebrate 100 chapters and an announcement of a special project in the works

Fingers crossed that means animated adaptation to tide us over between MHA seasons

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’d love a Vigilantes anime but even by Japanese standards it might be a bit risqué to show it in the same block as MHA (especially early on), maybe they could stick it on Netflix or something.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The font on Muscular is atrocious, but I do like it for making me believe he misremembered Deku's name as Midokiya.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

NEW VIGILANTES!

2 O'clock is trying to spread chaos in the streets, but he's underestimating Koichi and the heroes.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Honestly worse than the muscle powers was him putting a rock in his empty eye socket

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Oh great, now another villain has a crush on Deku

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Man, the speed translation seems a lot rougher than usual.

Fat and Useless posted:

Never.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Deku has always been both cool and good.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Man, I know it's a stupid little obvious thing, but the crowd turning to Crawler first instead of Eraser, who they take a moment to recognize, is very cute and very much one of the reasons I like Vigilantes so much.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Going back to the idea that hero society is in shambles so it wouldn't make sense that anyone would bother trying to arrest Deku for being a vigilante when you have all these villains on the loose, it occurs to me that the very top-ranked heroes are aware of Deku and One for All, and that he's the ultimate target of All for One and Shigaraki so it would make sense to me if there's some effort to locate him and bring him into some kind of custody just based on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SpacePig posted:

Man, I know it's a stupid little obvious thing, but the crowd turning to Crawler first instead of Eraser, who they take a moment to recognize, is very cute and very much one of the reasons I like Vigilantes so much.
It's great. Eraserhead tries to assert that he's the hero and Crawler is just a kid in a costume, but the people really don't give a poo poo. They don't care about what the system says, they care because he's been there for them in his own little way. He's basically their Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 9, 2021