Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mineta is just a comedy foil to be slapped around by the best character in the series, Tsuyu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Some of us just don't think sexual assault is very funny.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

Do you really think Mineta or what he are doing are portrayed in a positive light in any way? He's a gag character with over emphasised traits the same as Bakugou is a character with his anger cranked to 11.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Nah, the fact that he gets away with it aside from mild physical abuse as if he was about as annoying as a mosquito is what makes people uncomfortable

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeesh, I know I said that Fallen Angels is usually the more readable of the two, but their version of the latest chapter reads extremely awkwardly the whole way through. I wonder what happened.

Caros posted:

Do you really think Mineta or what he are doing are portrayed in a positive light in any way? He's a gag character with over emphasised traits the same as Bakugou is a character with his anger cranked to 11.

As the person you're responding to is saying, it's played as a joke. Also, well, the author really likes him.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

At least the author is aware that many don't find it funny, so it shouldn't get out of hand.

His behaviour is bad of course, just like Bakugou's, but in America it has also moved/been moving out of the range of acceptable slapstick to a greater extent than Japan (see: 'rape culture'). That's a cultural difference international readers will have to bite.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I'll ask Horikoshi to start each chapter with a trigger warning.

Seriously, some of you are over thinking this way too much. He´s the typical pervert character and every manga targeted at this demographic has one. It´s a lot worse in cases were said character is the protagonist. (I´m looking at you 7 Deadly Sins)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think Happosai in Ranma 1/2 was a much much worse pervert character than MidoriyaMineta.

EDIT: :doh:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 22, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Happosai is indeed worse, and is basically treated as Reoccurring Antagonist #1

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i don't know where anyone is getting "sexual assault" from mineta's behavior, the worst i remember him doing is ogling yaoyorozu's boobs in every panel they're in. well, that and the cheerleader costume thing.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
^^^He actually got a handful of Tsuyu's boob when the villains were attacking the students. And he was plastered to Yaoyorozu's rear end after the obstacle course.

DrSunshine posted:

I think Happosai in Ranma 1/2 was a much much worse pervert character than Midoriya.
:laffo:

I hate Mineda as much as some of you profess to, but I'm not baying for his blood or calling for him to be pulled from the series either. Some people hate Deadpool too. Did you know he straight up murders people??

Some of you are taking a silly, awesome, completely fictional work too seriously. If you want to work yourself into an incoherent frothing at the mouth, I suggest maybe reading through this discussion board on NeoGAF.

Let's discuss misogyny and double-standards in Anime regarding the "Silly Pervert". #1

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Eh, it's perfectly fair to be upset about things even if they are played as a joke. There is such a thing as taking something so seriously you ignore the original context, but there's really nothing wrong with going "I don't like this serious thing being played for laughs. It makes me uncomfortable." Like, yeah it's a silly joke--but the fact you are making a silly joke out of that can be a bit bad for some people, especially if they experienced something bad in the past.

Mineta is...kind of annoying, and I'm personally not a huge fan of him. He's not the worst thing ever, but I can totally see why people would have more than a tiny issue with that type of character though. I can see why people would also be down on Bakugou, but I like him because he's entertaining as hell and I also am just a sucker for characters that really, really badly want to win something and have a fair degree of self-confidence. Dude really wants to win more badly than anyone(well, aside from maybe Deku) and I can't help but cheer for characters like that.

Roland Jones posted:

Yeesh, I know I said that Fallen Angels is usually the more readable of the two, but their version of the latest chapter reads extremely awkwardly the whole way through. I wonder what happened.

I noticed that too. They are releasing chapters way quicker than they used to, so maybe that's got something to do with it? Hope they get back to how they were, some of their translations really made me appreciate the series a lot more. I'm still very fond of them translating one of Bakugou's lines as "gonna be number one and leave a pile of bodies in my wake" because it was the cheesiest loving thing and a perfect fir for the man who is basically powered by Michael Bay movies.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

And that boobgrab was a complete accident. It didn't even get a response out of him.

Seriously, shouting Sexual assault about the antics of a gag character, while the worst things he has done is accidentally cop a feel and latched onto someones rear end in a last ditch effort to get across the finish line is really blowing things out of proportion.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Please to be reminded that I never said what Mineda did classified as sexual assault, unless you were addressing someone else. I agree that they were played as gags, though not very funny ones (strictly in my opinion). I never want to discount that it's a very serious offense when done in real life, and especially not saying that actual victims are not just that: victims.

I like Bakugou because he makes great faces.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Sorry, I was addressing this guy.

ZiegeDame posted:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Groping is a form of sexual assault. If the best you can say about Mineta is most of his attempts at such fail, well...

Do direct me to where the shouting started though.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

What was the name of the person patting Monoma on the back of the head while saying he hosed up by picking a fight with Bakugou?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

I don't think we ever got her name. The first time we see her as an individual, I believe, is in chap. 26 when we get the obstacle course rankings.

e: image big

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought her name was Kendou.

She's the chick who gave up her spot for Tetsutetsu and Ibara.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Ch-032--Smile--Prince-of-the-Idiot-Kingdom?id=222001

She seems to be the leader of the team, and given that teams seem to be named after their leaders (Team Tetsutetsu, Team Midoriya, etc.), I figured her name was Kendou.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'll take Kendou. Also,

I understand everything else, but what does ゾワ mean in this context?

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 19, 2015

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

"Zowa" is kind of an onomatopoeia for a chill that goes up your back. So he's saying it's bit creepy that she touches his head so much.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

For a more comprehensive examination of "Zowa," see Kaiji.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Thank you kindly.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Raws are out; translated chapter probably later today but the context of everything is incredibly obvious.

Again, avoid the bars.

In a somewhat more realistic turn, Todoroki has NOT been instantly cured of his years of childhood trauma and daddy issues by Midoriya's inspirational self-mutilation. He fights Bakugou, who actually kind of kicks his rear end until the last moment when Todoroki neglects using his fire due to lingering PTSD flashbacks or whatever you want to call it. This ends up costing him the fight because he gets blasted out of bounds and rendered unconscious. Bakugou is naturally super loving pissed off and grabs Todoroki to presumably beat him senseless for not giving 100%; Midnight interrupts and knocks him out with her power which is some sort of mist. Bakugou is declared the winner.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 22, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

And it's out

http://www.mangareader.net/boku-no-hero-academia/43

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
This manga is so loving good, I can't believe it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is not the kind of victory he want...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

THE DETERMINED MAN WHO WAS DEFEATED BY IZUKI VS THE MAN WHO WON IZUKU AND BEGAN TO LOST HIMSELF!

:what:

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

It's a good thing the art is so good, because if I was relying on the translation to understand what is happening I think I would have an aneurism.

Anyway, this is really the best outcome of this match. Bakugou wins it all, but is going to be super pissed off about it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bakugou would probably be pissed no matter what happened.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I'll give this a second read when a not-poo poo translation is out. This was usable but that about covers it.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Bakugou status:

Someone put that kid on suicide watch.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I really would not be surprised if Bakugou turns into a villain just so he can get a decent fight out of these kids. Everyone so far has been really disappointing with just throwing out the same attacks, with the exception of Uraraka. Even Iida used the same tactics twice and got his rear end beat.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The class A kids have two more years of school to vary up their techniques.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Level Slide posted:

The class A kids have two more years of school to vary up their techniques.

Technically speaking everyone had maybe one ultimate technique up their sleeves and reused them throughout the entire tournament. Bakugou created at least 3-4 new ones, including a flashbomb to take down the shadow based bird and using his explosions to get some airtime rather than just keep spamming the same basic attacks. He even pulled out a new one in the fight with Todoraki. It's not so much they still have 2 more years, it's just they all sort of were lazy about it and didn't take any risks. Even Midoriya just stood there and blew his arms apart sending out the same smash.

Bakugou's on a different level then these kids whether he realizes it or not.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
He's also a bully who basically loved to poo poo on other kids, of course he has more practice with fighting.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I was ready to call Todoroki a huge dick for giving up on the match when I first read the spoilers, but it seems like the dude didn't even do it on purpose. He was just in a really bad state of mind. That's a good way to have him lose and not look like a condescending rear end in a top hat.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Technically speaking everyone had maybe one ultimate technique up their sleeves and reused them throughout the entire tournament. Bakugou created at least 3-4 new ones, including a flashbomb to take down the shadow based bird and using his explosions to get some airtime rather than just keep spamming the same basic attacks. He even pulled out a new one in the fight with Todoraki. It's not so much they still have 2 more years, it's just they all sort of were lazy about it and didn't take any risks. Even Midoriya just stood there and blew his arms apart sending out the same smash.

Bakugou's on a different level then these kids whether he realizes it or not.
Horikoshi has went through great pains to emphasize over and over that even if Bakugou comes off like an arrogant dickhead, he is absolutely the most driven student in the class and definitely not a slacker.

I almost don't really think he's necessarily a prick even just below the surface level; his way of motivating himself is to write checks his body can't cash, then try to cash them.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Haha, commenters on the mangareader site I used were angry that a fight in a Jump comic was over in one chapter and that was a bad thing apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Blhue posted:

Haha, commenters on the mangareader site I used were angry that a fight in a Jump comic was over in one chapter and that was a bad thing apparently.

I suppose they prefer Naruto length fights that take chapters.