Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's kinda nice to read Naruto / Bleach because you read this manga and you see all the lessons (or just good writing in general, sure) the author got from watching those trainwrecks. It builds an appreciation for how shonen can be entertaining or incredibly, truly miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Shugojin posted:

If you really want to read about the dark continent just read Toriko instead it's basically the same thing, but hungrier
What you don't like kurapica is gonna solve the case of the murders on a boat? I know how this boat thing work

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The idea of MHA just suddenly swerving and having the protagonist be an out of shape white mall cop is surprisingly funny to think about

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fabricated posted:

I'm convinced that Fairy Tail is some sort of SCP/paranormal phenomena intended to create a manga that is like Forget Me Not from the Xmen. You can read like every stupid chapter of it but the instant you're done it all leaves your brain
I like Fairy Tail but yes, I agree with that. Fairy Tail was never "good". It's not bad shonen, and it doesn't get stuck on poo poo that sucks, but it's all creepy and bland much of the time.

MHA is a totally different beast. I actually get the feels from some of the scenes, basically everything with Deku's mom (especially in flashbacks) is so uplifting and yet brutal, especially since MHA is actually willing to age her. The peak emotion from Fairy Tail is a mild sense of disgust.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fabricated posted:

Aizawa is literally a better (but marginally less funny) version of Kakashi in the "Comes off like a hardass but is actually a softie" teacher role and you can really tell all these subtle indications that class 1-A is really growing on him over the series.
I like Kakashi more, all things considered, but Aizawa has had very little time to be expanded upon whereas Kakashi had a massive insane backstory.

Also I totally agree about his mom. I don't know why it hits me so hard but that bit of All Might apologizing to her just kills me. In spite of the fact it isn't nearly as violent and there are so few deaths in MHA it just has so much more weight.

The fact injuries carry and characters are shown recovering is so poignant. In every other shonen any kind of injury is just waved away.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So shaped like a normal person.

Also it's hard to tell from the translation but I think he said he put himself in harm's way because he was scared again. I dunno why are the translations for MHA getting bad?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

No this is definitely Bleach but more early espada Bleach. When it was good but not great.

I mean seriously they punched through a wall into the Bleach zone, all featureless and blank space. Then they had a flashback.

I liked these chapters though so maybe I'm more comfortable joking.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Isn't the implication Aiwaza and the rest of the group are exhausted from trying to survive fighting the crushing room guy?

Also he may have been surprised she is so quickly capable of getting over her quirk being nulled. I feel like there was a point in the one arc about how a lot of his foes are just so baffled when their quirks stop working they're easy prey.

She, on the other hand, appears to give no fucks about being suddenly naked and powerless.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

He could be good if he actually gets an arc, but until then he's like a little bowl of fairy tail inserted into a much better manga.

You have to have flawed characters for them to grow and improve, and MHA is filled with flawed characters, it just doesn't feel like - as with, I don't know, most of the cast - there's much intention to reform and deal with him.

I don't think you have to like all of the cast right from the beginning.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mordaedil posted:

He's the uncomfortable existence you just kind of put up with. "The author didn't need to write a character like that" indeed, but it'd be kind of unbelievable for there to be a perfect class with no flawed students, where everybody is a legit good and cool kid.
Actually that kinda points out how weird he is against the back drop of "elite class of best of the best hero students", but then, that has always felt more forced than really carried through the narrative.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

All of these manga being discussed essentially fall under the same shonen writing style, for better or worse. I mean they might deviate a little, but one main protagonist, rotating side protagonists (usually to go with a side fight and a flashback) and then a background cast of 'mentors' that sort of drift in and out. Not really sure you'd call it ensemble cast, it just leans that direction to give you breaks from the protagonist and to do some world-building.

MHA fuses western comic ideals with shonen writing but it doesn't really change up the narrative style overly much in this regard.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Kinda makes me wonder if MHA will go long enough for Deku to finish training up and for the world to go to poo poo enough that beating the alliance will make him the greatest hero. There's a really cool arc here, I hope we get there.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sarcophallus posted:

Shippers and related fandoms ruin everything.
Fandoms are the grease that flows down the crevice of any given work, and once it collects into a large enough pool, it is invariably a slimy mess.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This chapter just has such great art, so many killer panels.

Mikl posted:

Still mad about that, by the way. Guy had won. He'd beaten Madara, and without resorting to special bullshit techniques, but by using a move he obtained through hard work and determination. Madara only survived because of that "Psych! I'm an immortal, endlessly regenerating zombie!" nonsense, and Guy got put into a wheelchair for his trouble.
Pretty sure it was after the immortal zombie thing and he just no sell'd it with like... a straight no sell. "My ribs would be broken but they're not" or something about chakra.

I sometimes wonder if there's a lot of contempt in Naruto's writing for people who like certain characters.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm really hoping the offscreening fight is because he wants to save at least one of the big three's power reveals for later on.

And you know, she's the Bleach character so she's gotta have the slowest rear end reveal ever.

(someone is going to tell me we've seen her powers and it's so bad I don't even remember it at all, sigh)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fabricated posted:

Also lol @ suggesting Naruto treats its female cast well
It always had the tantalizing prospect. Maybe Salad can break the curse.

MHA is good though, but I don't see why people get so upset when someone wishes it could continue to be better and get better. Shonen being one way doesn't mean everything in it has to go that way forever. Audiences change over time besides.

Then again I just binged through all of Black Clover this weekend and I'm pretty sure shonen is indeed backsliding.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I hope the traitor is Nighteye and they're just like "durrrrr of course"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

blizzardvizard posted:

Bakugou's a good character in the sense he's well-written but he's still got an unlikable personality
I think that's the entire idea. Bakugo is going to be Deku's number two, and unlike All Might, Deku is going to build connections that makes him a better hero even if he's individually weaker than All Might was in his prime. He can't be Deku's Endeavor if you don't hate him a little.

I don't know if he'll actually end up weaker than All Might, part of me expects a "And this is what it's like to go beyond plus ultra" moment late in the manga.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fabricated posted:

Mineta is pretty annoying IMO, but he's not as gross IMO as say Master Roshi or Meliodas.
I just wish he was as good as Jiraiya.

But then Mineta doesn't have 'traumatised child soldier who fought in genocidal ninja wars' to explain his development and doesn't really make sense in UA.

We're all going to miss Mineta when he sacrifices himself in one of the late chapters and all they have left of him is a couple of those grapes rolling around though. Deku is going to hold up his severed balls as a monument to the evil of villains.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ok so like, there's this argument here where people are like "do you want to see horrific child torture and/or cool new characters being splattered by bland boring villain guy" and the thing is the answer is "no" but in more specific the answer is "the writing should not reach the point where you ask that question". I think Overhaul fusing with his underling is supposed to get some of that body horror going, but seriously, if the arc was a consistent good we wouldn't be here.

Same thing with his powers and feeling impressed with him. We shouldn't be digging for narrative scraps, we should feel he's powerful.

Note I said consistent good, I think lots has been good, but Nighteye and Overhaul both suck.

LostRook posted:

He's just too amorphous.
Totally agree with this.

Although to be fair I feel like I don't really connect with the yakuza and maybe that's part of why we don't quite get him. Or I don't get him.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It owns but I agree I would rather have spent time with our actual popular secondary cast than goof off with the tertiary cast.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah Bakugo's personality comes from his mother. It was a nice touch.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Deku will get that scary costume and become the symbol of war after brutally murdering Overhaul, whose bird mask will remain at the centre of his bloodstained costume throne.

Or the manga could remain good and it's more likely he builds a more cohesive hero association (or whatever it's called, I forget) with him at the top.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Shinjobi posted:

I think getting rid of All for One will do a lot of good in making whatever new system they create more sustainable. All Might's approach didn't work because AfO permanently ruined him. There still would have been a vacuum when he inevitably passed away of old age, but without that injury All Might would have had the time to properly train and groom a successor.
He was wounded several years before he even met Deku. He had 'time' but he didn't "have time" because he had become so all-important that he couldn't bring himself to take time off from constantly going out as a hero, which is basically the point.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If Deku at a low percent could fight the dude, 100% should just splatter him.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Also the two girls who fell into the fight are stated to be completely useless (other than to transport a dying? man to complete the objective) and Uraraka even falls down face first for no valid reason other than to show her as powerless.

This arc blows.
The mook stamina drained them and commented they shouldn't be able to still fight, but they were able to push past their limit.

Though I don't disagree with you this blows.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Good news! The manga already did.

Or the translation is poo poo or her powers make no sense within the arc.

Oh wait...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

I'm guessing Eri's quirk also has to be for-real time rewinding because otherwise you'd still feel the pain from a broken bone snapping back into place

But then that goes back to not making any sense that the rewind quirk hurts at all when it's unraveling you
Imagine the motion sickness a brain trying to cope with that would experience. All the sensory information being inconsistently experienced, unexperienced and re-experienced.

He'd be new jersey smashing the contents of his stomach all over Overhaul. Full Barf 100%

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Him hitting 100% is fine if he squashes Overhaul flat in three moves.

If this turns into a real fight it's lame.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Obviously there's gonna be a 5th gear I mean, come on. Luffy hasn't even hit the expected limit yet.
I just hope his last transformation is referred to as top gear.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Calibanibal posted:

if all-might doesnt have an on-again off-again love interest superheroine who just hasnt been introduced yet, i will eat my hat
I feel like anything romantic All-Might may have in this manga will be played like Aizawa's stuff, ie, as a joke.

Which is kinda sad. On the other hand this manga is so far really bad with relationships to the point of kinda parodying western comics so maybe that's for the best.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Bleach ran the same arc like three, four times? Tite can come up with whatever poo poo reasons for it being poo poo but battle manga can have different structures and go different places. He boxed himself in hard. (early Bleach is insanely overrated fwiw, it would have hit the same hitch)

It'll be fair to describe MHA in the same tone when he runs the Chisaki base rescue arc nearly identical again.

If Deku loses his powers though, yeah, then get really loving alarmed.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Oh man, sauve knuckleduster, that I wasn't expecting.

Kild posted:

The last minute powerup is so stupid in retrospect because he didn't even unlock bankai then. Literally all his powerups has been his stupid ghost grandpa going eh, you're probably gonna die unless I unseal some more of your power.
Dude it's a shoved in retcon that doesn't make any sense and was just added because every single arc has him tied to the antagonists in some way. He's a shinigami (who lost his powers) a hollow (who lost control of his powers) a fullbringer (who lost his powers) and a quincy (I forget).There is no 'retrospect'. Tite planned nothing past the basics in the SS arc. That's every arc, Bleach was always on repeat.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dangerous Person posted:

My uncle who works at anime told me that Overhaul is gonna be three cours
Makes sense, since he's about as exciting as three coors light.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Shere posted:

I have more of a problem with Sir's quirk and character arc than I do with Eri's at the moment.
Both Sir and Overhaul sucked, were bent way too hard to the narrative, have huge problems with their arcs and were thankfully disposed of.

Eri on the other hand I think has potential to be a really heart-warming, slow burn arc. Or a real gut punch. I'm actually a little disappointed we didn't see Deku in someway modified by his encounter with her, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't like her but I don't think I'm supposed to like her. I think the idea is to give a reason why he's restrained with his powers and why he'll eventually dig deeper. It's unpleasant, but the manga is literally saying he was traumatized and has to get over that hurdle to progress. It's being more direct about what limits him and how he'll grow.

Which works for me.