Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

This conversation makes me glad that, if/when Shigaraki ices someone, they will be unquestionably dead and we can avoid having this discussion again.

We already saw him ice someone. It was quite gruesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think it was even outright stated that the ghost people were far more durable then normal ones.

Near the end it was yea. The quincy handbook or whatever was like destroying the head is the only way to make sure a shinigami is dead. But then you got the say my name guy so :v:

Kild fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 1, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Overhaul and his gang are just real boring and the arc suffered for it.

Anyway I think Nighteye is going to be fine because Deku is about to change the future and i'm still of the opinion that Overhaul is getting iced by the VA so the big thing Deku is going to do is probably saving the dead man. I'm assuming the darkness in Chisaki's future is more from Nighteye dying than anything to do with Overhaul so preventing that would be like changing the future in a way.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

I mean, Bakugou and Todoroki are children. I can understand not liking Overhaul, but "I can accept high schoolers having ridiculous power because they trained, but the new villain, who is an adult and thus presumably has been doing things for much longer than the main characters, being very strong is unreasonable" seems like a silly argument to me.

My argument doesn't have anything to do with their age, it's the presence vs lack of evidence and explanation. We know nothing about Chisaki and very little about the mafia and his organization so there's no reason for him to be this powerful other than Because He's The Bad Guy. Even a throwaway line of "Chisaki doesn't like being touched by filthy commoners so he trained his quirk to the limit so that noone would ever be able to" or some poo poo would have helped make it more believable.

It's the same issue that made Dressrosa in OP a weaker arc. (one piece spoilers incoming) Doflamingo had, up until the moment he began fighting in the arc been set up as a manipulator and schemer, that suited his character and the arc. Him being a physically unstoppable terminator was unnecessary and wasn't set up so the fight felt less impactful because of it, at least to me.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I want Overhaul to die but I've never found him boring as a villain.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

I want Overhaul to die but I've never found him boring as a villain.

The only thing i've found interesting about him is his relationship with the VA and that hasn't really been explored at all from his side beyond he wants to use them but doesn't trust them.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I believe in Night Eye.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

This conversation makes me glad that, if/when Shigaraki ices someone, they will be unquestionably dead and we can avoid having this discussion again.

(People are totally going to find a way to argue that someone who was disintegrated could still be alive, aren't they?)

I mean, Bakugou and Todoroki are children. I can understand not liking Overhaul, but "I can accept high schoolers having ridiculous power because they trained, but the new villain, who is an adult and thus presumably has been doing things for much longer than the main characters, being very strong is unreasonable" seems like a silly argument to me.

Yeah, it's such a dumb twist. The other stuff from that episode, with Ace and whatnot, was good too,

Waller was great even if her plan was dumb

DCAU Waller owns

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

We already saw him ice someone. It was quite gruesome.

Oh, I know that, that's a moment I quite liked and have referenced a lot. I just mean, it's probably going to happen to a more important character sometime, and when it does, hopefully we won't have anyone arguing that they might actually have survived somehow.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

My argument doesn't have anything to do with their age, it's the presence vs lack of evidence and explanation. We know nothing about Chisaki and very little about the mafia and his organization so there's no reason for him to be this powerful other than Because He's The Bad Guy. Even a throwaway line of "Chisaki doesn't like being touched by filthy commoners so he trained his quirk to the limit so that noone would ever be able to" or some poo poo would have helped make it more believable.

It's the same issue that made Dressrosa in OP a weaker arc. (one piece spoilers incoming) Doflamingo had, up until the moment he began fighting in the arc been set up as a manipulator and schemer, that suited his character and the arc. Him being a physically unstoppable terminator was unnecessary and wasn't set up so the fight felt less impactful because of it, at least to me.

My point is that, if it's possible for two people with powerful quirks to be justified in their absurd power to you, because they trained, then it seems weird to assume that the guy with a similar-if-not-even-more-powerful quirk shouldn't be powerful because we never saw him training (which probably has to do with him being a villain; they rarely get training montages). Like, Overhaul's had, let's assume, about twice as much time as a functioning human being, and that include time he could have, you know, trained. We don't need to see the villain doing push-ups to not call bullshit on them being really strong.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Waller was great even if her plan was dumb

DCAU Waller owns

Oh, she was cool, yeah. That plot was dumb though.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I know they called her quirk destruction but I'm still betting Eri's going to be able to heal people or something. Give that poor girl a purpose that lets her actively help the people who saved her instead of feeling like a monster. This stuff with Nighteye and Mirio makes me really think that's the case, too.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

He's an arc villain. Show him being evil and doing something really heinous that makes us want him to be taken down BEFORE the heroes show up. Like, I was expecting a horrific Made In Abyss style scene where we SEE him "process" Eri for her blood and tissue. And make it terrible too- with a very clear note to the readers that every second Eri isn't freed this poo poo is happening to her rather than it being some vague thing the heroes are guessing about. It'd certainly make her relatively despondent state and her reaction to violence (where she just closes her eyes and grits her teeth to take it instead of screaming or crying like a child normally would) a lot more heartbreaking.

That would be a terrible idea. MHA isn't that kind of manga.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Silver2195 posted:

That would be a terrible idea. MHA isn't that kind of manga.
Then don't do a story like Eri's? Like I'm not even sure if whatever Overhaul does to Eri even hurts. I guess it leaves scars despite Overhaul being able to restore people perfectly? How? We don't loving know because nothing about it was explained or shown.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Fabricated posted:

Then don't do a story like Eri's? Like I'm not even sure if whatever Overhaul does to Eri even hurts. I guess it leaves scars despite Overhaul being able to restore people perfectly? How? We don't loving know because nothing about it was explained or shown.

Guy, you are literally saying you want to read panels of a small child being tortured, where it's explicitly shown how terrified and hurt she is. You literally want Graphic Explicit Torture of a Small Child, because you don't believe that 'small child quakes and cries and is desperate for anything not Overhaul' isn't believable enough to make you feel like he hurts her, and justify disliking Overhaul?

That's kinda weird.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 1, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They already explained it when they interviewed that gang which Overhaul killed then fixed. It's a feeling of intense pain, then nothingness, then suddenly you are back feeling fine. So that kid has had that happen to her numerous times while being psychologically screwed with by telling her she's responsible for the people that Overhaul kills when she escapes. Leaving stuff like panels of her being tortured can be left to the imagination and just as effective when she is constantly terrified and we don't really need it drawn because do we really need to see something like that?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

KittyEmpress posted:

Guy, you are literally saying you want to read panels of a small child being tortured, where it's explicitly shown how terrified and hurt she is. You literally want Graphic Explicit Torture of a Small Child, because you don't believe that 'small child quakes and cries and is desperate for anything not Overhaul' isn't believable enough to make you dislike Overhaul.

That's kinda weird.
This is like those dumb posts in the Made in Abyss thread where people whine about MiA being edgy for the sake of being edgy.

Show is generally always better than tell, and it doesn't have to be pages and pages or seinen levels of explicit (which I never said- I'm just saying it should affect the audience in general because your goal as a writer is to inspire emotion in readers)- having the heroes guess what's going on and then having the reader be shown that yup they're right and it's awful in some way is a better way to write it than us just being told what the characters who literally don't know for sure what's going on are thinking. It's a connection with the reader; we know for certain how terrible what's going on is but the heroes can only guess how bad it is but don't know for sure- that makes us admire the heroes because they want to save her as bad the reader despite from their perspective not knowing the terrible reality of it all (and that they'd probably go to even more drastic measures if they DID).

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Actually telling/implying instead of outright showing is an excellent decision when the topic is horrifying torture experiments on a young child.

If you lack the very basic imagination needed to understand the context then I don't know what to say.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

isn't her intense fear a sufficient amount of showing?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Getting more specific with Overhaul's treatment of Eri would probably make me dislike him more sure. But I already hate him, he's a bad dad. Hate is easy, it doesn't take much for me to dislike a character. What's harder is making me enjoy a character, or at least think they're an interesting or well-written part of the story. Stain basically accomplished that, I think I dislike him more than most in the thread, but I still enjoy what he brought to the table and the stuff he was involved in. I don't feel that way about Overhaul and doubling down on his torture of children would probably not improve my opinion. I'd probably instead be like "wow this is getting kind of heavy for what is presumably just an arc villain I can't bring myself to care that much about, this feels like a waste of serious material".

He's just dull. We don't know anything about him. His associates are boring. He has had 0 interactions with the heroes. He has no quirks or anything to make him stand out. His actual quirk basically reads like a combo of Shigaraki and Recovery Girl with extra oomph, even if it has more specifics. He's got nothing for me to be interested in. All his connections are with the VA, he has nothing to do with the heroes beyond Mirio and Deku wanting to save Eri. He just can't pull his weight.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

dogsicle posted:

isn't her intense fear a sufficient amount of showing?
From what is written it has to do really. Again, we know absolutely nothing about what really goes on.

For all we know he could just knock her out, process her, and she wakes up in bed fine like those street thugs did or something. He gave her a handler to try and make her happy instead of just throwing her in a dog cage or something so he has SOME reason (like a whisp of humanity) not to just treat her like an actual animal.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
We've seen the graphic violence Overhaul inflicts on people when he uses his quirk on them. We've seen how terrified of him Eri is. We know he extracts bits of her for his experiments. We can put two and two together without actually seeing the girl whose age is probably still in the single digits getting violently disassembled and reassembled, I think.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

My point is that, if it's possible for two people with powerful quirks to be justified in their absurd power to you, because they trained, then it seems weird to assume that the guy with a similar-if-not-even-more-powerful quirk shouldn't be powerful because we never saw him training (which probably has to do with him being a villain; they rarely get training montages). Like, Overhaul's had, let's assume, about twice as much time as a functioning human being, and that include time he could have, you know, trained. We don't need to see the villain doing push-ups to not call bullshit on them being really strong.

If Stain weren't in Vigilantes being less competent than he is here, I probably wouldn't like him as much as I do.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

His actual quirk basically reads like a combo of Shigaraki and Recovery Girl with extra oomph, even if it has more specifics. He's got nothing for me to be interested in. All his connections are with the VA, he has nothing to do with the heroes beyond Mirio and Deku wanting to save Eri. He just can't pull his weight.

Not really. When we initially thought his quirk was just blowing people up we did. But it's disassembling and remaking anything he touches. That is nothing like Shigaraki or Recovery Girl's powers. However because of how powerful it is he can do the same thing as them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

If Stain weren't in Vigilantes being less competent than he is here, I probably wouldn't like him as much as I do.

Stain in vigilantes owns because he's in some ways worse of a person as a vigilante than as the hero killer.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not really. When we initially thought his quirk was just blowing people up we did. But it's disassembling and remaking anything he touches. That is nothing like Shigaraki or Recovery Girl's powers. However because of how powerful it is he can do the same thing as them.

That's what I meant by the specifics are different. He has a different power but he uses it as a beefed up version of Shigaraki and Recovery Girls power with some extra twists.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Night Eye's vision going black wasn't him dying, it was because he couldn't see the future anymore because Deku changed it.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
overhaul just looks like crap

the mask, the bored eyes.. looks like such a minor, typical anime villain

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
My greatest concern is MHA Hitman Reborning itself, where it's the hottest poo poo ever for three years and then suddenly makes a total nosedive into the ground

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

actually the last two chapters are just Night Eye's prediction of the future and then its going to go back and it turns out they change it after all! Wow!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Good night, eye

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Blockhouse posted:

My greatest concern is MHA Hitman Reborning itself, where it's the hottest poo poo ever for three years and then suddenly makes a total nosedive into the ground
The reveal next chapter: Midoriya hasn't actually changed at all in the past year, and would be completely worthless without OfA.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

On Nighteyes power just had a question pop into my head.

Let's say he foresaw Chiaki erasing Lemons quirk forever and he convinced Lemons to stay home. Since everything has to happen and he can only delay things does that mean at some point Chiaki would of bust down his front door and randomly shot him anyway?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lemillion wouldn't be able to handle the guilt and sneak in anyway, most likely yes.

Alternatively, Overhaul would have escaped and it would have happened later.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
This arc had wobbly hallways and dumb bad guys but also PHANTOM MENACE so I'm hoping the wrap up is good since that will solidify my feelings on it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Blockhouse posted:

To be fair Hitman Reborn changed from a gag manga to a straight-up battle manga.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Up until the middle of the Future Arc was pretty great though

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah the transition from gag to battle was fine, it was the Future Arc that pretty much put everyone off the series on both sides of the Pacific and lead to its extremely unceremonious end

I don't want MHA to Future Arc itself

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I think the problem with Overhaul is that so much about him is vague that he becomes bland.

We know that he had an odd relationship with his boss, but his boss is in a coma and it's hard to grasp anything there. So his motivation is vague.

We know he has a plan to rule Japan, but presumably Shigiraki will be incorporating it into his own plans so we aren't privy to the details. Thus he doesn't have a goal or a distinct threat.

Now that Eri isn't even his daughter, we're left not really knowing anything about him except his quirk and an obsession with cleanliness. That's mook tier characterization, not the level you build an arc around.

He's just too amorphous.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ok so like, there's this argument here where people are like "do you want to see horrific child torture and/or cool new characters being splattered by bland boring villain guy" and the thing is the answer is "no" but in more specific the answer is "the writing should not reach the point where you ask that question". I think Overhaul fusing with his underling is supposed to get some of that body horror going, but seriously, if the arc was a consistent good we wouldn't be here.

Same thing with his powers and feeling impressed with him. We shouldn't be digging for narrative scraps, we should feel he's powerful.

Note I said consistent good, I think lots has been good, but Nighteye and Overhaul both suck.

LostRook posted:

He's just too amorphous.
Totally agree with this.

Although to be fair I feel like I don't really connect with the yakuza and maybe that's part of why we don't quite get him. Or I don't get him.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Spiderdrake posted:

Ok so like, there's this argument here where people are like "do you want to see horrific child torture and/or cool new characters being splattered by bland boring villain guy" and the thing is the answer is "no" but in more specific the answer is "the writing should not reach the point where you ask that question". I think Overhaul fusing with his underling is supposed to get some of that body horror going, but seriously, if the arc was a consistent good we wouldn't be here.

Same thing with his powers and feeling impressed with him. We shouldn't be digging for narrative scraps, we should feel he's powerful.

Note I said consistent good, I think lots has been good, but Nighteye and Overhaul both suck.
Totally agree with this.

Although to be fair I feel like I don't really connect with the yakuza and maybe that's part of why we don't quite get him. Or I don't get him.

Overhaul feels like a poorly done Full Metal Alchemist homage. Down to the Shou Tucker chimerism. I think there was a lot of potential there but it feels really squandered.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sarcophallus posted:

Overhaul feels like a poorly done Full Metal Alchemist homage. Down to the Shou Tucker chimerism. I think there was a lot of potential there but it feels really squandered.
Really it feels like the arc should've been longer and better paced.

Like introduce Overhaul, show his motivations, show his plan, show how he plans on accomplishing it, give him some background (like actual background, like how he joined the Yakuza, how he became in charge despite no one liking him, where is germophobia comes from, etc), have him work with Shiggy on one or two things first so we see their interplay and Shiggy learning from him, show Shiggy working on something behind the scenes (like his inevitable betrayal or possibly even something brilliant that'd benefit them both), and have that coalesce into the raid as the finale.

Instead it's

Overhaul has his dustup with Shiggy's crew
Deku starts his internship
Nighteye is like "oh yeah we're investigating Overhaul"
Deku and Mirio run into Overhaul and Eri
Suneater and Kirishima find the bullet
Big infodump by the HEROES GUESSING WHAT'S GOING ON
Literally straight into the raid that looks like it's the end of Overhaul's story.

What did Shiggy even LEARN? Overhaul's mooks got beaten, Overhaul is probably gonna lose here, and Eri is gonna be saved. The most Shiggy can take away from this are material resources in the Perma-Dequirking Bullets and the Serum. I dunno what Shiggy can learn here in terms of how-to-villain because Overhaul's henchmen didn't do terribly well and were beaten to the last man despite having absolutely nothing to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shiggy learned how not to villain because Overhaul doesn't care about his subordinates and uses them as pawns sacrifices or whatever but Shigaraki gives a poo poo about his squad and trusts them to work for the team even under their own authority. And it's worked out pretty well because the VA had a far better showing than the Yakuza goons.

Anyway the Shigaraki and Overhaul stuff is Chisaki's only interesting trait but if the arc was longer what he really needs is more interplay with the heroes. Hell, Nighteye could've used that as well.