Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rus0
Nov 14, 2014
****TITLE DERP: Should be "2 1/2 months I couldn't drive it."

Coming from a background of driving only pickups and suv's I've always wanted to have a fun car. When Chrysler came out with their next gen 300 series I really liked the look of the car. Late last winter (early April) I was in a position where I could get one and at a local dealership they had exactly what I wanted: 2011 300c AWD fully loaded with only 30,000 miles: single owner, old guy that traded it in for a corvette. This dealership, while being a Chevy dealership, I had trust in because my grandfather (and his side of the family) has been buying cars their for decades from the same salesman. Car fax was clean and was always taken in for its regular maintenance. It was the best deal in the area for the options and I bought it the next day.

Week One: after a few days of driving this thing around like I just won the lottery, started to encounter terrible interior rattles/scratching noises. I latter did Google research to find out these cars are known for their terrible interior rattles: the sunroof rails would rattle, the over-headboard, etc etc. The dealership would only look into the problems if I paid the reg hourly rate so I was mad, but learned to live with it in light of getting a good deal on the car.

Week Two: I had start to got over the noises because A) the car was fast and fun to drive and B) if you blast your favorite music you cant hear anything.

Week Three: "Service AWD" this is where it all went down hill. Brought it in to the Chevy dealership, they said to take it to the dodge dealership down the road because it might still be covered under warranty. Well it wasn't, however, I found out there my car was under recall for the engine timing chain. They cleared the codes and could not get the AWD error to come back and they replaced the chain. So I thought things where looking up.

Long story short: for the next 9+ weeks I brought this car in for service to that dodge dealership for the same problem they couldn't fix: Service AWD.

When that code is active it does a couple of things: turns off the Cruise control, makes the ABS brake light + 4 other lights constantly flash on the dashboard + the dashboard computer screen would always flash SERVICE AWD NOW NOW NOW and you could not turn it off.

So I wont detail-write-up every week of service, I'll give you the basic idea:

would bring it in on a Monday and get a call on Friday to come pick it up because "we fixed it:"...THEN! not be able to make it home without BOOM - Service AWD Light - come back on.

The fixes they "tried":

1) moving the location of the computer module from under where your feet rest to under the dashboard.
2) reformatting the computer module that controls the awd and reset it to factory settings (they did this 2 times)
3) replace the computer module
4) at this point all other random sensors started to go out and create more lights, thus that repair list grew (like the emissions sensor, etc) which took them more than 1 attempt to repair properly.
5) the service awd light kept coming on, it was very emotional: sometimes it would come on every time I started the car or when I was driving it would come on. They would always claim to have fixed it but it always came back on before I got back home. This went on for weeks.

After the 3rd week Chrysler Corporate got involved and would be working on the codes given by the computer system, the people at the dealership told me that for a few days their top engineers and programmers were working on it (unsure if to believe that or not)
At this point I could drive the car and not get the light to come on IF I did not spin the tires or accelerate too fast, if I did BOOM Service AWD light.

After months of leaving it at the dodge dealership for the entire week and picking it up only to not have it fixed, it seemed they finally fixed it.

I was driving from my house to go meet my other grandfather to go trap/skeet shooting, do not get more than 500 feet down the road and.....the car started to slow down...no matter how much I pressed the peddle it kept slowing down and died. Started it up, found out if I rev'd the RPM's higher than 3000 or tried to go over 30 mph the car would die.

This was the straw that broke the camel's back. Up until this point I had not shelled out the thousands of dollars to fix this that one might think because the car came with an aftermarket service plan that covered the shop costs (because the Chrysler car warranty expired at 30,000 miles and I had it at 30,500) so I pay a few very low deductibles.

What normally took me a 15min drive to the dealership took me little under an hour to make it going under 30mph. The dodge dealership, who at this point was very obnoxious and sick of seeing me (despite non of this being my fault) would not see my car until the next Monday (a week).

So I went back to the original dealership where I got the car, told them my car problems and said I wanted a fix to this situation. At this point my stress level was higher then I had ever expired in my life: between the time the car problems started and the time I got rid of it I had developed regular acid reflux which always acted up when I was stressed the most because a new problem had been found with the car.

Thank all that is holy the Chevy dealership was very nice and was willing to take the car back and refund the full purchase price (+ the tax) to be used as a trade in on another vehicle.

I loved that 300c for the times I drove it around town, it looked nice, was very fast and a blast to drive: I hated it for 90% of the time it didn't work and frustrated with the dodge dealership.

So now I am the owner of a new 2014 Chevy Z71 Silver Silverado Truck. So far I've put almost 3k miles on it and all is good so far *crossed fingers*

Sorry if this came across as a rant, but I really don't have anyone else to talk to about this and it felt good typing all of this out.

Obviously there are always cars that some people have bad experiences with and others have no problems the entire life they have the car, however, if you research the 2011+ 300's theres an entire forum community that seem to have a lot of problems with the cars, if any of you have a 300 or experience with one I'd love to hear what you have to say.

rus0 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Was it a sick nasty White 300c?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Thanks for buying a car that provides a mechanic like me with constant employment.

rus0
Nov 14, 2014

keykey posted:

Was it a sick nasty White 300c?

Yes it was! I always wanted it in white because a) looks so drat cool and b) all the 300s around my area are dark colors, so I would have something different :)

Preoptopus posted:

Thanks for buying a car that provides a mechanic like me with constant employment.

LOL that makes me feel better :D

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Sounds like you were unwilling to pay the Chrysler price. :black101:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Did you have them check your turboencabulator?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

A Chrysler product turned out to be a poorly made shitheap?

Who could have forseen this tragedy?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I thought imports were supposed to be reliable.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Have you considered buying a Volkswagen? I hear that they're quite reliable, especially the late 90s/early 00s ones.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why didn't they Try a bunch of oem zipties to stop the rattles. Works on the journey. Couple wood screws and zipties and you're set.

Adiabatic posted:

From the makers of the masserati biturbo comes the new Chrysler 300!

I know. I know. different owners.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 14, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

Not when they're imported from third world countries.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Here's a thought: Chevy dealer hexed that 300C so you could come back and buy a pickup truck. :ohdear:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm getting a "flood-car" kinda vibe from that OP. Sure, the dealer told you it was a one owner, old man owned car, and maybe it was, but how do you really know? Even if it was, it still may have been involved in a minor flood and the dude traded it in without getting insurance involved, so it wouldn't show up on carfax.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm getting a "flood-car" kinda vibe from that OP. Sure, the dealer told you it was a one owner, old man owned car, and maybe it was, but how do you really know? Even if it was, it still may have been involved in a minor flood and the dude traded it in without getting insurance involved, so it wouldn't show up on carfax.
Dealers lie about this poo poo all the time. Do not give any weight whatsoever to what the dealer says the history of the car is. Ironically, the Chrysler dealer would likely be able to tell you more.

quote:

At this point I could drive the car and not get the light to come on IF I did not spin the tires or accelerate too fast, if I did BOOM Service AWD light.
You could spin the tires in an AWD car? :monocle:

Preoptopus posted:

When I used to work in a shop, mechanics got sick of cars like this because it typically went to the same tech each time since they knew the history. C/D?

rus0
Nov 14, 2014
Yeah I learned my lesson trusting dealers over car history when it was clear this was a lemon-grade car.

I did fix a couple of the rattles myself in the last weeks before the car engine started to have issues, fixed the headboard one by using some felt to fill the space between the board and the edge of the window = noise gone.

The dashboard rattle I found was temperature related: happened when it was cold, not when it was warm. With the dashboard being all plastic (including the clips that hold it down) its very subject to the temperature.

I definitely learned some things from the experience.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
A Chrysler 300 as a dream car?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

revmoo posted:

A nightmare is a type of dream, right?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

revmoo posted:

The siren song of a Yugo owner.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
OP does going to the Avus lot give you a half-chub?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

DJ Commie posted:

The siren song of a Yugo owner.

Hey! I owned a yugo and nope. gently caress cryco.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

revmoo posted:

But they looks so good with the Bentley style front grill!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sound posted:

But they look tso good if you are a person that knows literally nothing about them other than that some rappers have them in their videos and also do absolutely no research on them before buying one

More accurate.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i actually find the most recent 300s are rather pleasing to the eye compared to how they used to be.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Now that your 300c is gone, maybe I can suggest your next dream car.

A White Range Rover.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Hey! I owned a yugo and nope. gently caress cryco.

I really want a 90-91 Yugo GV Plus. EFI 1.5L and 5 speed made it somewhat modern (for the time).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The 300 is one of those cars that are great in theory and look amazing but too bad they are giant piles of steaming poo poo.

I can't count the amount of times I've been disappointed researching a car I liked only to find out they were garbage. I don't necessarily like owning a Camry but it's a good car and I don't have to worry about poo poo in the OP.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

DJ Commie posted:

I really want a 90-91 Yugo GV Plus. EFI 1.5L and 5 speed made it somewhat modern (for the time).

all you need to know is alfaromeo 164.

and or fiat spyder turbo.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would suggest you start dreaming about buying the longest warranty Chrysler will sell you on this turd. You might also find a different dealership to get it serviced at as the current one is obviously not up to the task of maintaining a 4 year old Chrysler. Not many are.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

revmoo posted:

OP does going to the Avus lot give you a half-chub?

This is the best post.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Elephanthead posted:

I would suggest you start dreaming about buying the longest warranty Chrysler will sell you on this turd. You might also find a different dealership to get it serviced at as the current one is obviously not up to the task of maintaining a 4 year old Chrysler. Not many are.
He doesn't have to worry about it anymore.

rus0 posted:

Thank all that is holy the Chevy dealership was very nice and was willing to take the car back and refund the full purchase price (+ the tax) to be used as a trade in on another vehicle.

I loved that 300c for the times I drove it around town, it looked nice, was very fast and a blast to drive: I hated it for 90% of the time it didn't work and frustrated with the dodge dealership.

So now I am the owner of a new 2014 Chevy Z71 Silver Silverado Truck. So far I've put almost 3k miles on it and all is good so far *crossed fingers*

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

all you need to know is alfaromeo 164.

and or fiat spyder turbo.

I have one of the hand-laid silicone turbo pipes for the Spider turbo. I really should have bought all the turbo parts off of it, they are spectacularly valuable, for Fiat parts.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 248 days!)

Don't worry too much about your Silverado. Mine has 208k, and the 5.7 Vortec is more than happy to haul rear end.

rus0
Nov 14, 2014

Viggen posted:

Don't worry too much about your Silverado. Mine has 208k, and the 5.7 Vortec is more than happy to haul rear end.

Before the 300 I drove a GMC Sirrea that had no issues hauling rear end, so I was more than happy to get a new Chevy :)

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

rus0 posted:

Before the 300 I drove a GMC Sirrea that had no issues hauling rear end, so I was more than happy to get a new Chevy :)

It'll squeak just as much and drive like a tank- but it'll do so for years! :reject::hf::reject:

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

T1g4h posted:

Did you have them check your turboencabulator?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

I don't think even Leslie Nielsen could pull that off. Genius.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Are the hydrocoptic marselbanes an ignition coil or ABS controller? :downs:

E: This is so 80s, assuming the former.

rus0
Nov 14, 2014

Everyday Lurker posted:

Here's a thought: Chevy dealer hexed that 300C so you could come back and buy a pickup truck. :ohdear:

Thats what I initially thought, but on the deal in the end they lost a lot of money when they put the car on the auction block for parts. Sold for pennies on the dollar, maybe it got traded to them and they didn't realize what they had until the old guy had already gotten away with that corvette lol

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

rus0 posted:

they didn't realize what they had until the old guy had already gotten away with that corvette lol

No, it's a dealership experienced in buying and selling cars. They're well aware that 300Cs are garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

slidebite posted:

Dealers lie about this poo poo all the time. Do not give any weight whatsoever to what the dealer says the history of the car is.

We had a sales guy get fired back when I worked at Audi because he sold a Q7 as "the general managers personal car, not a loaner or anything I swear!". The first dew that hit the rear window showed "dealer name, courtesy car" as clear as day where the decal letters had been. I'll say it again, never ever listen to anything a sales person has to say except numbers.

• Locked thread