Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Seriously- the text tries to argue "Oh, it'll die out now that THE CORES are gone" but the visual story is still "more people are playing and having fun."

They are so close to it but they can't see it.

I just noticed that too - it's the same number of people playing except:

1. The people now playing are more diverse.
2. The people now playing are still having fun.
3. The people that left are shitlords, which is a net plus for the hobby now that they're gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

theironjef posted:

Okay sure but how is he being wrong about roleplaying games?

Let's say that hypothetically you disagree with him on something. That's not very hard to do. Especially if you're Ettin, which in any case all you have to do is exist and you're disagreeing with him on something, be it real or imagined.

So you decide to try to trigger some semblance of self-awareness or perhaps expand his horizons with a well-thought out and well-argued discussion.

You are immediately branded as wrong, and out of nowhere a bunch of mouth-breathing, window-licking retards start hounding you and telling you that you're wrong. That's putting it lightly, too. Their main modus operandi is harassment in its creepiest forms.

At this point, it doesn't matter if he's right about something. How he and the community he's built go about prosecuting people who disagree with them is toxic and bad for the community as a whole.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Bendigeidfran posted:

A) People who whine about historical versimilitude being wrong about history is always hilarious. B) This is a nerd forum. We correct people when they are wrong. Doesn't matter if they're dead or fictional or Lord Gygax himself.

Tekopo posted:

Pretty much what Bendigeidfran said: I found it funny that someone claiming historical veracity can be so wrong about history. Although to be fair, anyone that goes 'LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT JAPANESE HONOUR CULTURE' usually knows gently caress-all about actual historical Japan.

But... but... Gygax-sama!? :japan:

Halloween Jack posted:

Edit: VVV Gygax and the other ground-floor TSR employees had a weird relationship with modules and campaign settings. Their reaction to the first premade adventure they saw (Palace of the Vampire Queen) was confusion as to why anybody would want someone else to create a setting or an adventure for them, instead of doing it themselves. They had originally planned to sell such exciting products as "Outdoor Geomorphs" and "Monster & Treasure Assortments," along with stuff that would've been taken over quickly by other vendors, like hex maps and graph paper.

For exciting products, see Gygax's passioned plea for people to use metric in the RPG that forces you to calculate the human population based upon growth over time and pre- and post-BeetleBorg apocalypse!

http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/cyborg-gygax-1987/10/
http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/cyborg-gygax-1987/3/

This whole talk about nerds who go 'LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT HONORABURU JAPANESE CULTURE, GAIJIN-SAMA' does remind me of a truism. Most people who indulge in a hobby or a topical area are just really interested in that and are pretty OK about their enthusiasm for it.

Then along comes Cat-Piss Man to ruin it for everyone, because he's the guy everyone thinks about when they hear that you like [insert hobby here]. Because your clear objective was to [insert CPM objective here] just like him, instead of [insert something reasonable].

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Halloween Jack posted:

The majority of people in Kaidan are xenophobic, perhaps even racist. The government of the empire, like Japan, enforced a closed state for much of its history. Outsiders aren't welcome and citizens are not allowed to leave. Like Japan, the people of Kaidan label those not from Kaidan as 'gaijin' which is a derogatory word for outsider or barbarian. There is even a small port, the only port where outsiders are allowed to land called Gaijinoshima - which is kind of a conjunction of Gaijin no Shima, which means island of the outsiders. The borders of Kaidan have only recently opened to outsiders, the island village of Gaijinoshima was given its name just recently with the allowance of the first 'gaijin' merchant ships, a few years before the start of the adventure timeline.

What the gently caress is this and why are these horrible people in my hobby?

Edit: I didn't believe it and I had to look it up. Link here: http://www.ritepublishing.com/images/Kaidan_The_Preview_PFRPG.pdf

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 20, 2015

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I posted about this in the Next thread as well, but I think Robin Laws' approach in HeroQuest is just brilliant: increase the DC whenever the players succeed, decrease the DC whenever the players fail; the baseline DC increases with every session you play.

He also took an interesting approach with the GUMSHOE System. If the players had the requisite investigation skills to find the clues, you didn't roll for them - you just found them because, y'know, you're skilled at this sort of thing.

Of course, I don't think this solves the issue of bad GMing where you decided to leave the most crucial clue in one place and the players ended up not having the skill to find it. That being said, I finally played AW about a week and a half ago and it was amazing compared to D&D. I don't know why people start with D&D for reasons other than people have heard of it. Even RPG neophytes can get into AW really easily as there's much less focus on the crunch and more on what's happening.

• Locked thread