Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

For the record, the one time I needed to speak with Origin tech support I got to speak with them same day and they were extremely helpful, and that was about four or five months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
You guys crying bout Origin are dumb.

"A bloo bloo I'm going to not play the absolute best copy of the game, get the inferior copy, because well gently caress the corporation EA and their soulless money hats."

The worst part about this whole thing is the game isn't out yet but people are playing it and rubbing it in my faceo n twitch etc.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
My problem with Origin is that I've already got Steam. I don't want Origin and Steam. I want all my stuff in one place, with only one login/password that I have to remember, and that one place I already have works just fine. The only thing Origin does is force me to use some alternate service that doesn't do anything that I don't already have as well as give me the additional headache of having my games split over umpteen zillion different services for every single publisher.

If EA didn't want to be butthurt about not getting as much money as they might be getting, then they should have invented steam instead of getting mad about it after the fact.

Hence I don't buy EA games anymore. Except Mass Effect 3 and maybe Inquisition. I'm actually on the fence about Inquisition and if EA is going to lose a sale I'm pretty sure having to gently caress around with Origin is going to be the hassle barrier that might just make me skip it.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Origin stuff

Well, I'm wrong. Thankfully, it doesn't unlock for me (Or I don't get my key) until the 21st of November. So.. maybe I'll avoid this kind of stuff? Maybe.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

peak debt posted:

Minimum Requirement: Quad Core.

Does that mean there's a stupid artificial check in the executable that you have to download a patch from the Internet for to get rid of? :mad:

Here's why!

Like Lords of the Fallen, the main game files are encrypted, with Denuvo decrypting them on the fly as requested, and also like Lords of the Fallen, a quad core is being pretty generous, given the performance hit it took, since it's CPU-assisted like gently caress. No doubt this is Bioware's reactionary response to the fact that they have yet to release a DA game (until now) where installing DLC of questionable origin was as easy as adding it as a regular mod. It's also probably on the big list of dumb reasons why this is also the first DA that you can't mod. At all. Seriously, if you're holding out for even the most minor of mods, it's best to just stop now before even more disappointment

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Rookersh posted:

They fired that support around 2013ish ( it now takes a week plus to get a response, and it's always canned. After that they'll just never respond to you. ), and it's actually got several huge bugs that affect people with the latest revisions of Win7/all of Win8. Namely it'll hog your memory until it crashes itself/the game/your computer. Or sometimes it'll just crash even when it's supposed to be working. I've also had it eat my legitimate saves in both Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2. This is all within the last 3-4 months mind you, so unless you are constantly using Origin you probably haven't run into these problems.

I'm actually curious how this thread will be in a few days. The last major Origin release was ME3, before the big bugs started affecting it. I mean I had problems with ME3's launch, but it wasn't until a few months later when I went back for a second round of DA2/ME3 did I actually have my saves eaten/crashfest. And it still hasn't been fixed because apparently EA thinks it's only tied to Win8 users ( it's not, it also affects my Win7 Laptop! ), and "that's not a large enough market share for us to worry.".

Anybody not playing this on the consoles/cracking it first is asking for disappointment ahead of time. As someone who buys literally everything on day one, I'd rather deal with Uplay then Origin most days. Then again, that's probably because I own so many Uplay games the client constantly gets a chance to update itself, and now just autologs me into games without question. Origin tries to faff around being a lovely storefront that breaks more often then not. Like I guarantee I'll have less problems getting my copy of Far Cry 4 working then I will this.

Any idea if any specific options may cause these bugs? I typically roll with automatic updates and cloud saves off, and I haven't had any issues like the ones you described. Not running the beta version, either.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
I, surprisingly, only have a mild headache today.

Gonna play Divinity 2 to keep me busy until Tuesday. I've added everyone currently on the GPCGMR tab of the spreadsheet to my friends list and will invite you to our Terrible Origin Chatroom for Terrible People at some point during the day after you accept.

I'm glad I now know that NASCAR romance novels are a thing.

Kind of disappointed but unsurprised to hear DAI contains Denuvo...hopefully it's less of a buggy shitstorm than Lords of the Fallen was (is?).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Well, with anticrack measures it's often about the implementation.

There are tons of secuROM games, for instance, where you'd have no idea it's actually present.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Lords of the Fallen is getting better and is now worth picking up on sale if you're not immediately craving some more Souls.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Cyclomatic posted:

umpteen zillion different services for every single publisher.

What other publishers other than EA and Ubisoft has their own services?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

Any idea if any specific options may cause these bugs? I typically roll with automatic updates and cloud saves off, and I haven't had any issues like the ones you described. Not running the beta version, either.

No idea. It's one of the latest updates they rolled out to Origin a few months ago. I have auto updates on and it downloaded it immediately, and the next day everything started going to poo poo.

I sent in a few support tickets, tried a live chat, and even called them. Eventually I was told if I kept bothering them they'd lock my account, so I stopped. The most I was able to get out of them was that it was a bug with Windows 8, but they didn't care enough to try and figure it out because their PC sales are so low/who owns Windows 8. So I tried my games on my laptop which runs with Win7 and the problems kept happening. Checking their forums show it also affected a number of other people who downloaded the update that also have Win7, but since most of the people on the forums still use WinXP, it's not very widespread ( yet ). Nobody has any ideas how to fix it, outside of just cracking the games.

If you have an older version of Origin cherish it, and never let it update. It'll turn into a monstrosity. If you don't already have Origin from a few years ago on your PC, well, I guess you get screwed because the only version you can find for download has the bug in it.

e: I bought Inquisition as well because I'm a crazy person, so I guess we'll see if they fixed Origin in the last few months.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 15, 2014

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Here's why!

Like Lords of the Fallen, the main game files are encrypted, with Denuvo decrypting them on the fly as requested, and also like Lords of the Fallen, a quad core is being pretty generous, given the performance hit it took, since it's CPU-assisted like gently caress. No doubt this is Bioware's reactionary response to the fact that they have yet to release a DA game (until now) where installing DLC of questionable origin was as easy as adding it as a regular mod. It's also probably on the big list of dumb reasons why this is also the first DA that you can't mod. At all. Seriously, if you're holding out for even the most minor of mods, it's best to just stop now before even more disappointment

Yeah it's totally Denuvo's fault lords of the fallen runs like poo poo, not because its a poo poo badly made by a crap developer responsible for games like Cooking Frenzy and Sniper Ghost Warrior 2. It has performance issues and the same bugs on the console releases also.

It's used in Fifa 15 and that runs totally fine.

The reason we won't get mods for DAI is because it uses frostbite, and even texture mods are a giant loving pain on that engine, because of the way the levels are compiled.

DiabloStarCraft fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 15, 2014

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
FYI, if you're in any of these areas:

Australia
Japan
Europe
New Zealand
South Africa
United Kingdom, Ireland, Portugal

your payment won't be processed until Monday

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Good thing I'm not picking this up instantly then.

And now for something completely different, I'm poking around those previously linked vids. Sera really looks and sounds like randumb.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Archimago posted:

I, surprisingly, only have a mild headache today.

Gonna play Divinity 2 to keep me busy until Tuesday. I've added everyone currently on the GPCGMR tab of the spreadsheet to my friends list and will invite you to our Terrible Origin Chatroom for Terrible People at some point during the day after you accept.
I'm trying to cram as much NaNoWriMo and editing in before the game comes out. Got the call from the store, my copy comes in on Tuesday and I'll be there at 8:00 am to pick it up, go to work, try to work for 8 hours, and then rush home to play it.

quote:

I'm glad I now know that NASCAR romance novels are a thing.
The librarian is right. There are romances for pretty much everything. I poo poo you not, there is a cookie romance. A drat COOKIE romance, where a bored housewife witch (??) bakes a Gingerbread Man, gives him raisins and a cinnamon stick for junk, and magics him into a fuckable person who chases her around the kitchen yelling, "Run run run as fast as you can, I'm gonna catch you, I'm your gingerbread man!" And apparently his dong tastes like red hots and doesn't burn like holy bejesus for no reason.

And then her husband shows up and suddenly everything gets super awkward. This book really exists. For real.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Potential dumb question: I just created an Origin account for the Dragonkeep, and looking at the tutorial video in the OP, it shows that in addition to creating your own Hero and Hawke, you can choose from your actual characters you previously created from save files (I guess so if/when they pop up in Inquisition they'll have the same physical appearance as when you played them). But how do I get those to appear? I didn't have an EA/Bioware account playing through the games and I don't see a way for it to look up or sync with my Xbox Live account, where I presume it could access my characters from.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I hope it really is possible to kill off Hawke at some point in this game. If so I'm going to use my worldstate where Hawke was the most massive rear end in a top hat imaginable (sold Fenris into slavery, made deals with demons, was a mage who congratulated Anders on his big act of terrorism but then sided with the templars at the last minute just for maximum dickishness, etc.)

I'd love it if the game also let me acknowledge that Hawke was ultimately the biggest villain in Dragon Age 2, but I doubt that will happen. I'm guessing we'll at least hear a few times about how totally awesome and misunderstood the *Champion!* was.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shrinkage posted:

What other publishers other than EA and Ubisoft has their own services?
For ones that are discriminatory, Blizzard, right? I'm sure there are others with popular games, too, but they are probably outliers.

So the way Denuvo works is that it decrypts on the fly? Sounds like it could get intensive.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

GuyUpNorth posted:

And now for something completely different, I'm poking around those previously linked vids. Sera really looks and sounds like randumb.

Yeah, she's the only one I'm not really liking of the party. Everybody seems pretty cool with a lot of personality except Sera's supposed to be the manic pixie dream girl and managed to be even more annoying than Merril. I didn't even hate Merril except for her stupid mirror obsession.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blastedhellscape posted:

I hope it really is possible to kill off Hawke at some point in this game. If so I'm going to use my worldstate where Hawke was the most massive rear end in a top hat imaginable (sold Fenris into slavery, made deals with demons, was a mage who congratulated Anders on his big act of terrorism but then sided with the templars at the last minute just for maximum dickishness, etc.)

I'd love it if the game also let me acknowledge that Hawke was ultimately the biggest villain in Dragon Age 2, but I doubt that will happen. I'm guessing we'll at least hear a few times about how totally awesome and misunderstood the *Champion!* was.

From what I've heard, in DAI the Chantry is trying to execute Hawke as a scapegoat for everything that happened in DA2. You can save Hawke or let the Chantry hang him/her.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Blastedhellscape posted:

Unconfirmed but rumors suggest that Hawke is captured at some point and the Chantry wants to make him/her a scapegoat for the Mage Rebellion and execute him/her. You have the option of allowing it.

Dang it, beaten

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Cythereal posted:

From what I've heard, in DAI the Chantry is trying to execute Hawke as a scapegoat for everything that happened in DA2. You can save Hawke or let the Chantry hang him/her.

I told Anders to go gently caress himself. I really hope if you let Anders live, you can get Hawke off the hook, and instead Tranquil Anders.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Any decent combat gameplay vids around?

It all looks a bit simplistic from the little I've seen

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Cythereal posted:

:getin:

edit:

WastedJoker posted:

Any decent combat gameplay vids around?

It all looks a bit simplistic from the little I've seen
Have a poke around twitch if you don't mind getting spoiled for the prologue, other than that there are loads of combat and exploration heavy preview vids from a couple of weeks ago up on YouTube.

Chuf fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 15, 2014

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Rookersh posted:

If you have an older version of Origin cherish it, and never let it update. It'll turn into a monstrosity. If you don't already have Origin from a few years ago on your PC, well, I guess you get screwed because the only version you can find for download has the bug in it.

That's... really strange, as I believe I'm running the latest version too; in addition, ever since I saw your post I've been keeping an eye on Origin's memory usage (I typically have it set to auto-open when I start up my Win7 PC) and it's actually been slowly going down over the past hour or so. I guess I have the magic non-broken version of Origin, then? :shrug:

On the Denuvo front, I think I may have just realized why builds with AMD GPUs are so thoroughly outperforming ones with Nvidia cards in early benchmarking tests: The game reportedly makes heavy use of AMD's Mantle in mitigating the engine's unusually CPU-heavy system load, which I now understand may be the DRM's fault. :doh:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

AnimeJune posted:

I'm trying to cram as much NaNoWriMo and editing in before the game comes out. Got the call from the store, my copy comes in on Tuesday and I'll be there at 8:00 am to pick it up, go to work, try to work for 8 hours, and then rush home to play it.
The librarian is right. There are romances for pretty much everything. I poo poo you not, there is a cookie romance. A drat COOKIE romance, where a bored housewife witch (??) bakes a Gingerbread Man, gives him raisins and a cinnamon stick for junk, and magics him into a fuckable person who chases her around the kitchen yelling, "Run run run as fast as you can, I'm gonna catch you, I'm your gingerbread man!" And apparently his dong tastes like red hots and doesn't burn like holy bejesus for no reason.

And then her husband shows up and suddenly everything gets super awkward. This book really exists. For real.

Am I the only person who thought of this guy?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I can only hope so.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Bogwitt posted:

:getin:

edit:

Have a poke around twitch if you don't mind getting spoiled for the prologue, other than that there are loads of combat and exploration heavy preview vids from a couple of week ago up on YouTube.

will do.

What about controlling the group - do we get to mess about with their behaviours in battle such as what spells they'll launch first?

I (dimly) recall Origins giving us quite an advanced level of control over how a companion would behave such as "if party member health is lower than 20%, heal" etc.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Tactics have been pretty significantly cut back but you can still micromanage every single aspect of combat and ability use if you desire.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

WastedJoker posted:

will do.

What about controlling the group - do we get to mess about with their behaviours in battle such as what spells they'll launch first?

I (dimly) recall Origins giving us quite an advanced level of control over how a companion would behave such as "if party member health is lower than 20%, heal" etc.

From what I've seen (can't remember the specific video) the tactics are functional but nowhere near as deep as Origins. In Origins, you could basically set up a ton of if-then statements as you've said which from what I've seen is not possible in Inquisition. What you can do is decide how many and when they use their potions, what abilities they will use with what priorities and... I can't remember but I have a feeling that's all there is. :(

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Orv posted:

Tactics have been pretty significantly cut back but you can still micromanage every single aspect of combat and ability use if you desire.

Only during pause?

Awwww, I was hoping the Tactics section was kept for the PC version :(

I hope this doesn't mean battles have become less tactical/difficult. That was easily my favourite thing about Origins.

Edit:

Bogwitt posted:

From what I've seen (can't remember the specific video) the tactics are functional but nowhere near as deep as Origins. In Origins, you could basically set up a ton of if-then statements as you've said which from what I've seen is not possible in Inquisition. What you can do is decide how many and when they use their potions, what abilities they will use with what priorities and... I can't remember but I have a feeling that's all there is. :(

Oh well even a basic Tactics interface gives me hope the game isn't too easy/simplistic.

Was this the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTqwwlCvygQ

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 15, 2014

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
After watching this, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be playing an rear end in a top hat again. Kind of excited about it, except that I have no money currently and won't be able to play until, probably, next month.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

I was unbelievably tempted to order one, just because I wanted that tarot deck. The art is great. I just could't justify it as I didn't care about anything else in there. Hopefully they'll sell them separately on the Bioware store for an exorbitant price at some point.

Are we the same person? I wanted that deck soooo bad, and it was even worse because my fiancee wanted the lockpick set and was willing to go 50/50 with me on it. 100$ it still too much for a game and a deck though, especially since I'm not sure if DAI will be that great.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

pro chantry? already hate her. I want to burn the chantry to the ground.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Could you not put the cool font in the title I feel a lot is lot with it in standard font and the exclamation mark

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Soysaucebeast posted:

Are we the same person? I wanted that deck soooo bad, and it was even worse because my fiancee wanted the lockpick set and was willing to go 50/50 with me on it. 100$ it still too much for a game and a deck though, especially since I'm not sure if DAI will be that great.

You're a better person for holding strong against temptation, hth.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

WastedJoker posted:

FYI, if you're in any of these areas:

Australia
Japan
Europe
New Zealand
South Africa
United Kingdom, Ireland, Portugal

your payment won't be processed until Monday

Thanks. That explains why I couldn't my preload going via vpn.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

pro chantry? already hate her. I want to burn the chantry to the ground.

If the Chantry can be completely destroyed I will go for this option.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

smut itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ballz posted:

Potential dumb question: I just created an Origin account for the Dragonkeep, and looking at the tutorial video in the OP, it shows that in addition to creating your own Hero and Hawke, you can choose from your actual characters you previously created from save files (I guess so if/when they pop up in Inquisition they'll have the same physical appearance as when you played them). But how do I get those to appear? I didn't have an EA/Bioware account playing through the games and I don't see a way for it to look up or sync with my Xbox Live account, where I presume it could access my characters from.

I didn't see anyone answer your question. A few points:

When you are on the Tapesty and select the Warden or Hawke tiles, you can pick the race/gender/class of your warden and if they're alive or dead, and you can pick gender/class of your Hawke and their personality type. Selecting the class/gender tile takes you to a list of defaults, but there's a checkbox to use the heroes connected to your Origin account. If you created a new origin account, then it won't be connected to your old saves.

Appearance and similar data on your Hawke or Warden isn't imported; really the only thing of value is the name and the fuzzy feeling you get from saying "that's my guy" when you look at his tile. That name will probably appear on codex pages and similar screens when/if cameos happen.

If you want to customize a character that returns, Bioware says you will get the chance to do so in game. Spoiler: Hawke comes back.

• Locked thread