Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

It's getting colder! Let's make soup! I've been making soups every week to take into work as lunches and thought maybe a good way to spark some discussion in GWS is to make an approachable weekly thread and why the hell not soups?! I've been using this thing to pack to work: http://www.amazon.com/Sistema-656-ml-Soup-Mug/dp/B005D6Y1OM

works great, liquid tight, handle is nice so you don't burn yourself. I also have the noodle bowl version which works great for rice bowls and pasta but that's another thread.

zuppa toscana by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

This week I made zuppa toscana. Despite being an actual thing with beans and stuff, most of us are more familiar with Olive Garden's version which is almost nothing like the zuppa autentico. Regardless, it's probably the only thing the lovely Darden managed restaurant franchise has done well. It's super tasty and hella easy.

1 lb italian sausage, uncased is fine as you are going to uncase it to crumble anyway. I like spicy, but I think the classic is mild.
3 strips of bacon, diced
1 medium onion, minced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 russet potatoes, sliced into coins
6 cups of chicken broth or water
1 half pint of cream
a shitton of kale (my favorite part), ribs removed and torn into bite size pieces
1/2 tsp fennel seed, crushed in mortar and pestle (optional, but I like an assertive fennel flavor in mine)
parmiggiano to taste
salt and pepper to taste

brown bacon in a large pot until crisp, reserve and drain all but a bit of bacon grease then add and sausage. brown and break up chunks until it is small crumbled bits. Add onion and lower heat, sweat until translucent, add garlic and fennel and saute until fragrant. Return the bacon and add chicken broth and potatoes. Simmer until potatoes start to crumble. Add cream. Taste for salt (you'll probably need a lot) If serving immediately add kale. I like to add my kale raw to my microwave cup and let the reheating cook the kale. You can sub spinach if you prefer a more tender green. Top with parm.

I like a bit more hearty of a soup so I make a roux out of some of the bacon drippings and add to the soup to thicken.

RE: soup of the week. I don't really care to run this idea solo, if you have a favorite soup, share it! Just interested in getting more life back into this subforum.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Where is my motherfucking HAT
I've got a pork goulash soup thing going right now.

I started with the recipe here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/02/spicy-pork-and-cabbage-goulash-soup-recipe.html

This was basically to use up a ham steak thing we got from locavore, so I had to make a few adjustments for my pantry:

4 slices hardwood-smoked bacon, chopped - Omitted, we were out
2 1/2 pounds pork stew meat, diced into bite-sized pieces - Used a 2 pound uncured bone in "ham" steak
1 1/2 cups diced cabbage - 1 entire small head purple cabbage
2 medium onions, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup) - Again, out, used roasted red peppers instead, I want them to melt away
4 garlic cloves, minced (about 4 teaspoons)
3 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons toasted, ground caraway seeds - Couldn't find ours so I used some thyme instead
1/4 cup red wine vinegar - Used apple cider vinegar as that is what has always been in the goulashy things I loved
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste - Dumped in most of a massive can of Cento crushed tomatoes
8 cups homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken or beef broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

I'll be serving it with caraway rye to make up for the lack of caraway in the soup . Photos tonight.

Aery fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 17, 2014

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Soup pro-tip: defrost your stock beforehand

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I did a soup

All these awesome grandma threads made me nostalgic, so I made something my mom used to make when I was a kid: hamburger soup. Luckily it's not called that because it's got pickles and mustard or something, it's just a vegetable and ground beef soup. Basically a way to stretch cheap meat. I suspect it came from one of those recipe card boxes by like Betty Crocker or something in the 70s. I don't measure poo poo, so here's what's in it:

Chicken or beef broth, or a combo
Canned tomatoes, either sauce, crushed, or diced if you want chunks
Ground beef
Onion
Celery
Carrots
Potatoes
Green beans
Spices, I normally use a couple bay leaves, thyme, a little oregano, paprika, lots of pepper, salt
Umami things that were not in any original recipe but I add: Worcestershire and soy, balsamic vinegar

Brown your beef in a big pot, drain if you need to. Add your onion, celery and spices and sautee a bit. Dump in your broth, carrots, potatoes, beans, whatever other veg you have in your fridge. Simmer until veggies are tender. Add umami things to taste and a big glug of balsamic at the end. Serve with parmesan for topping and crusty bread.

To top off this nostalgiameal, I suggest a box of Funfetti cake.

Here's a bad pic of not very pretty but tasty soup!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Thats pretty similar sounding to my family's 'Super Soup'. Except ours does not have green beans and relies more on bright flavors then umami. And I think there's a yonk of Burgundy in ours.

Called Super Soup because it was one of the few obviously vegetable based dishes my sister and I would eat as children.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

zuppa autentico.

Autentica :colbert:

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Tater leek soup!!

Slice a pound or so of leeks thinly. Add 1 small diced onion. Sweat in butter until squishy.

Dump 2 quarts of chicken stock in pot along with a pound or so of diced taters.

Simmer until potatoes are soft. Add I cup heavy cream. Stick blender until smooth.

Salt and pepper to taste.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I also soup'd.

Pasta e Fagioli
- In a large pot, cookout about a tablespoon of tomato paste with about 1 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add in about a quart of stock, I had some homemade veggie stock, but chicken will work as well. Also add a couple dashes of fish oil.
- Bring to a boil and add your pasta (I used one small package of fresh spinach tortellini)
- Add one can of cannelloni beans. Make sure to drain/rinse them first.
- Once the pasta is cooked, add a couple handfuls of baby spinach.
- After about five minutes, it's finished.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

NosmoKing posted:

Salt and pepper and bacon to taste.

Fixed?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Years ago I got a spicy corn chowder recipe on here. It's since become sort of an Xmas Eve tradition with my family, and I make it a few more times during the colder months.

quote:

INGREDIENTS

2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large white onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 (or more) jalapeno, chopped
1 cup scallion, chopped
1 tbsp garlic, minced

Bacon (maybe 8 or so strips; enough to produce some grease at the bottom of the pot)
2 quarts chicken stock
3 cans whole kernel corn
3 cans creamed corn

1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper

3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour

3/4 cup heavy cream (half-and-half will work fine in my experience)
Shredded cheese (your call)

Approx. # of servings: A lot

The first thing I like to do is drain the whole kernel corn and let it dry out a bit; use paper towels to dab some of the moisture off.

Bust out the largest pot you have — trust me, you'll need it — and fry up the bacon until crisp.

While that's going on, chop your vegetables.

Once the corn kernels have lost some of their moisture, toss them with some olive oil and paprika and throw them under the broiler for about 10 minutes or until they start to brown. You'll want to stir them around a couple of times while they're in there.

Take the bacon out of the pot and set aside; deglaze the pot with some white wine if need be. Saute the onion, celery, red pepper, jalapeno and garlic until they soften up.

Take the corn out from under the broiler and add it to the pot with the chicken stock, creamed corn, potatoes and remaining spices (salt, pepper, coriander and cumin). Let it simmer on medium heat until the potatoes slide off a fork without much resistance. This would be a good time to chop up your bacon if you used it.

Once they've sufficiently softened, it's time to make a roux. Melt the butter over low heat, then slowly whisk in the flour. Then, gradually mix a cup or two of the chowder into the roux for the sake of easy assimilation. Once you have a mass of doughy-chunky-chowder-stuff, add it into the pot with the rest.

Once the roux is in there, mix in some of the cream/HnH. You may want to do this to taste; you don't want it to be rich. Well, some of you probably do. You may also want to add salt to taste.

Ladle some into a bowl, toss in the green onions, some bacon and cheese and you're good to go.

E: Why yes that's a Foreman grill at the top of this photo, which I think I took in, like, 2009.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Someone once posted a really great guide to making stocks on this forum. Anyone still have a link to that?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Albondigas Soup.
By sight.

On its own, make a cup of white rice, steamed. Set aside.

1 part ground beef or pork.
1 part ground mexican chorizo.
1/4th part cooked rice.
Egg (amount depending on sizes of 'parts' I'm assuming half pound'ish of each meat for the remainder of this recipe)
Cupped handful of fresh mint, finely chopped down to about 1 to 2 tablespoons total volume.
1 jalepeno finely diced.
1/2 of a small/medium spanish/yellow onion, finely diced.
Cumin to taste.

Combine and refrigerate.

1 part beef stock
1 part chicken stock
(I use 1 rectangular store bought container as a 'part' size, here, of each).
1 cup of your favorite salsa or a can of spicey rotel.

Bring all liquid ingredients to a moderate boil.
Form refrigerated meat mixture into golf ball sized meat balls.
Drop into liquid.
Add the other half of that onion, again finely diced to the slowly boiling soup/meatball mix.

Cook until the meatballs are JUST done, toss in a handful of fresh, chopped cilantro, the remaining rice, and the juice of a small lime or half a lemon.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 23, 2014

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
The weather is poo poo and I have a cold, so it was either this or day 3 of congee.

Hearty Lentil Soup with Spinach

3 slices bacon (about 3 oz), cut into 1/4" pieces
1 large onion, chopped fine (about 1 1/2 c)
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped medium (about 1 cup)
3 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1 cup lentils (7 oz), rinsed and picked over
1/2 c dry white wine
4 1/2 c chicken stock
1 1/2 c water
1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
5 oz baby spinach, cut up as desired

Fry the bacon until it's nicely browned and the fat is rendered.

Add the onion and carrots and cook until softened.

Go get your gigantic pot of chicken stock that you store in the garage because your freezer is broken.

Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, and thyme and cook briefly, then add the lentils and cook covered on low for about 10 minutes. Check to make sure it isn't too dry now and then and add liquid if necessary.

Add the wine to deglaze, then add the stock and water and cook on low, partially covered, for about 30-35 minutes. The lentils should be tender but still hold their shape.

Play with your cooking assistant for a bit.

Remove the bay leaf, then transfer 3 c of the lentils to a blender and blend until smooth.

Add it back to the pot along with the balsamic vinegar and spinach, reheat, season with salt and pepper and serve.

Bob_McBob fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 23, 2014

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Bob_McBob posted:

Play with your cooking assistant for a bit.

Add it back to the pot along with the balsamic vinegar and spinach, reheat, season with salt and pepper and serve.

Your dog is ridiculously adorable and I want him, and this soup looks quite good. I think I'll try it this week.

When I don't have a cat on my lap, I will post my meaty borscht recipe.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's getting colder! Let's make soup! I've been making soups every week to take into work as lunches and thought maybe a good way to spark some discussion in GWS is to make an approachable weekly thread and why the hell not soups?! I've been using this thing to pack to work: http://www.amazon.com/Sistema-656-ml-Soup-Mug/dp/B005D6Y1OM

works great, liquid tight, handle is nice so you don't burn yourself. I also have the noodle bowl version which works great for rice bowls and pasta but that's another thread.

zuppa toscana by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

This week I made zuppa toscana. Despite being an actual thing with beans and stuff, most of us are more familiar with Olive Garden's version which is almost nothing like the zuppa autentico. Regardless, it's probably the only thing the lovely Darden managed restaurant franchise has done well. It's super tasty and hella easy.

1 lb italian sausage, uncased is fine as you are going to uncase it to crumble anyway. I like spicy, but I think the classic is mild.
3 strips of bacon, diced
1 medium onion, minced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 russet potatoes, sliced into coins
6 cups of chicken broth or water
1 half pint of cream
a shitton of kale (my favorite part), ribs removed and torn into bite size pieces
1/2 tsp fennel seed, crushed in mortar and pestle (optional, but I like an assertive fennel flavor in mine)
parmiggiano to taste
salt and pepper to taste

brown bacon in a large pot until crisp, reserve and drain all but a bit of bacon grease then add and sausage. brown and break up chunks until it is small crumbled bits. Add onion and lower heat, sweat until translucent, add garlic and fennel and saute until fragrant. Return the bacon and add chicken broth and potatoes. Simmer until potatoes start to crumble. Add cream. Taste for salt (you'll probably need a lot) If serving immediately add kale. I like to add my kale raw to my microwave cup and let the reheating cook the kale. You can sub spinach if you prefer a more tender green. Top with parm.

I like a bit more hearty of a soup so I make a roux out of some of the bacon drippings and add to the soup to thicken.

RE: soup of the week. I don't really care to run this idea solo, if you have a favorite soup, share it! Just interested in getting more life back into this subforum.

Made this tonight, added leeks, super delicious!

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
I don't have pictures but tonight I made tortilla soup for the first time and hell yeah it was so warm and yummy and filling.

(from http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/sopa-azteca/ )

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Beefy Borscht

2 pounds of beef short ribs
5 medium onions - leave three whole, stuck with 2 whole cloves each< dice remaining 2
2 carrots, peeled and rough chopped
2 large celery ribs, rough chopped
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs of fresh time (or 1 tsp dried)
2 cans (or one 900ml tetra pack) beef broth

3 tablespoons butter
2 garlic cloves
2 pounds beets, peeled and shredded
1 medium potato, peeled and shredded
1/2 small cabbage, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup fresh minced dill

In a large stock pot (seriously large), combine short ribs, whole onions stuck with cloves, carrots, celery, bay leaf, thyme, 3 quarts of water and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2.5 hours, skimming occasionally.

Remove ribs from stock pot, set aside and allow to cool until you can handle them. Strain stock through a fine sieve and return to pot. Boil over medium-high heat until stock is reduced to approx. 8 cups - 10 to 15 minutes. Cut meat into bite sized pieces, discarding bones and fat.

In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, cook until translucent and soft, stirring frequently. Add beats, potato, cabbage, reserved stock, vinegar, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Add reserved meat and simmer about 20 minutes longer. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve sprinkled with fresh dill and a dollop of sour cream.

Notes:

I roast the ribs in the oven, covered with tin foil first to get some of the fat off them.
I don't use the red wine vinegar, because I always forget to buy it.
The original recipe does not call for beef broth or cabbage. My father in law added both, and I prefer his way.
The dill really adds a flavour that I think is necessary.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Thai-ish Green Tomato Soup.

I had a lot of green tomatoes at the end of the season, and as I couldn't be arsed to make more chutney, still having a bunch left over from last year, I turned them into soup.

Quarter a couple of pounds of green tomatoes, salt and toss in a little oil. Roast at 250f for around an hour.
Char a couple over a flame,
Saute a large onion, finely diced, and a finely diced poblano pepper until onion is translucent.
When tomatoes have begun to dry and the skins are receding from the flesh, place in a large pan with the onion.
Cover with chicken stock.
Add four peeled and smashed garlic cloves and a couple of inches of peeled and grated ginger or galangal.
Bring to simmer and let it go for half an hour.
Blend.
Pass through sieve.
Return to pot.
Bring to simmer.

Now comes the seasoning. With a look of fierce concentration, whisk as you season, tasting often. This impresses the observers, even if they are indifferent cats.

Begin with some coconut milk, a little chilli, some fish sauce and a touch of tomato juice. If it calls for some sugar, answer. Some rice vinegar. If it needs thinning, just slosh in some water. If it needs thickening, add coconut milk. Season it all to taste.

This was served with the last red tomato of the season, some rice noodles and roasted cod. Hot and sour and good.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I want to make soup!
Whats a good soup to make if I'm gonna get snowed in this week?

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Always make french onion soup. It's super easy and it takes a long time to cook down the onions, so you can sit at home watching movies and smelling delicious carmelized onions while you're snowed in.

The way I make it goes like this:
Step one:
1/4 c unsalted butter
~5-6 lb onions
2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
whole grain mustard

Cut the stem and root off of your onions, peel them, cut them in half from stem to root and then slice thinly. Slice from stem to root, don't make half rings by cutting perpendicular to the stem and root. Melt your butter over low heat while you're doing this and just toss your onions in as you slice them. Throw in a little salt, 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme, 2 bay leaves, and about half a tablespoon to a tablespoon of whole grain mustard. Keep this over low heat, stirring regularly, for like forever hours until the onions are all melty and nice and brown and smell fuckin delicious. 5-6 lbs of onions usually takes me like 3 hours to cook down.

Step two:
~1 Tbsp AP flour
1 c wine - I use a dry red wine, but most recipes will call for a dry white. Either way, if you use a dry wine, you'll make good soup
~2 qts beef broth - I actually usually do half beef and half chicken to make it a little bit less heavy, but that's personal preference. See what tastes best to you.
water, if needed/wanted

Stir the flour in with the onions for just a minute so you don't end up with that gross raw flour taste, but not until it gets brown. Stir in the wine and let cook for a few minutes before stirring in your broth (and water, if using). Bring up to a simmer and adjust seasonings as needed; I always add a good amount of fresh ground black pepper (because I am gay for black pepper) and a splash of red wine vinegar to brighten it up a little. I usually let it simmer for 30-45 minutes to let the flavors meld before I serve it up. Turn on your broiler when this is close to being done.

Step three:
stale bread/toasted bread - you want it to be all the way dried out.
swiss/gruyere/emmental cheese
oven safe bowls/ramekins

Serve up the soup in the bowls/ramekins, top with a piece of dry/toasted bread and a slice of good cheese and put under the broiler until the cheese goes all bubbly and starts to brown. Feel very fancy and drink the rest of your wine while you eat your very fancy soup (because it's French).

Freezes well, in my opinion, and keeps at least a week in the fridge. We make it pretty often since it's one of my husband's favorite dishes and it's cheap as all gently caress to make. Definitely a good thing to make when you're snowed in all day.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

nuru posted:

Fixed?

microplaned parm cheese too!

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

I only make zuppa toscana like once every 2-3 years and I am always overwhelmed how delicious it is. I made an enormous batch last night, the only difference is that right before serving I ran a potato masher through it quickly. Not enough to squash everything, just about half of the taters. My husband prefers REALLY thick soups, so this was perfect.

If you haven't made it yet, do so.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

I want to make soup!
Whats a good soup to make if I'm gonna get snowed in this week?

Split pea soup! If you lack a ham bone, go ahead and sub a smoked hock. Sere with crusty bread, butter, and a drizzle of sherry vinegar.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Gravity I made your zuppa tuscana and poo poo was dope as heck.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kenning posted:

Gravity I made your zuppa tuscana and poo poo was dope as heck.

:3: thanks friend! I may make it again soon, it's so easy

This week was congee week because Bob McBob made some and made me want it so I made some.

a pho-ish broth with beef bones, ginger, charred onion, star anise, cinnamon, and coriander stems. 10:1 liquid:rice in pressure cooker for about 15 min or so. This is topped with homemade XO sauce, fish balls, scallions, and pork rinds

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 26, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

We do leftover soup once a week or so. Tonight it was broth made from the bones from Sunday's roast lamb. Veg was tomato, carrot, potato, onion, radish greens. Some leftover lamb meat rounded it off. Seasoned with pepper and fish sauce.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Time to learn about tonjiru, a delicious pork and miso Japanese winter soup loaded with vegetables. A big bowl of this is a meal by itself, or a smaller serving makes a great side or appitizer.

Ingredients for a Single Main Serving

150 g thinly sliced pork, fatty cuts are prefered
1/4 Daikon, peeled and thinly sliced in quarters (about 3 or 4mm slices should do)
1/2 medium size carrot, cut in quarters
1/2 Onion, cut in thin strips
1 small package firm tofu, cut in centimeter or half inch cubes
500ish ml dashi stock
3 tbsp miso paste (I prefer white miso, but feel free to use your favourite type)

Please note the amounts listed are just guidelines since I never measure anything when making this. Adjust amounts up or down depending on your preferences, or if I royally hosed up an estimate.

Cooking is simple. Prep your ingredients and prepare your dashi. Boil the carrots and onions in the dashi for around 5 minutes, or until they begin to soften.

Meanwhile, in a separate pot boil your daikon slices for roughly 5 minutes. Do this to avoid giving the main soup broth a bitter flavour. Drain the radishes once they are cooked.

Next, add the pork to the soup and let it cook through. Then add the tofu and cooked radish and return to a boil. Once it has boiled turn off the heat.

Then, place your miso in a bowl and ladle some soup broth into the bowl, being careful to to transfer any pork, tofu, or vegetables. Whisk the broth and miso together until no clumps of miso remain. Add the concentrated miso mixture back to the main pot and give it a mix, then you're done! Serve immediately or store in the fridge. It should stay good for several days.

You can use just about any type of vegetable in this soup, but the ones I listed are the most typical combination. In the picture below of my latest batch I added mushrooms and potatoes to the soup, just because they happened to be in my kitchen. I was a bit short on carrots too, however it still turned out good!

The delicious pork fat should give the broth a lovely sheen, which my crappy phone camera sadly didn't pick up. Enjoy cooking!

Sashimi fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 27, 2014

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

It's turkey soup week!

I did an overnight stock with my carcass, into it will go ... turkey of course, celery, onion, carrot, a wild rice/lentil blend I have and a splash of half and half as the husband likes it thick and creamy. I do this every year with really the only variation being the starch, sometimes I use noodles, sometimes potato, this year I have a few pounds of this blend to get through, so in it goes!

This soup really is the only reason I even make a turkey for thanksgiving. Tell me about your turkey soups!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I'm not sure if I've ever had the Olive Garden original, but my zuppa was amazing. I made it more or less as shown here, but I used creme fraiche instead of cream, I used salt pork instead of bacon, and I also used more garlic along with a little fresh thyme.

Absolutely amazing. I'm taking a cupful with me to work today, with about two kale stalks torn up into it.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

WaterIsPoison posted:

I also soup'd.

Pasta e Fagioli
- In a large pot, cookout about a tablespoon of tomato paste with about 1 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add in about a quart of stock, I had some homemade veggie stock, but chicken will work as well. Also add a couple dashes of fish oil.
- Bring to a boil and add your pasta (I used one small package of fresh spinach tortellini)
- Add one can of cannelloni beans. Make sure to drain/rinse them first.
- Once the pasta is cooked, add a couple handfuls of baby spinach.
- After about five minutes, it's finished.

I made it with homemade vegetable stock/good cheese tortellini/butter beans and it turned out great. Thanks--I don't know why I've never thought to make something like this before.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I made this last night, it was fantastic. One question for you guys though, my soup was pretty thin and I was wondering what the recipe meant by making an adding a roux? How much roux do I make? Do I add it after I've added the cream to thicken it up?

Doomy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 3, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I reserved all of the bacon fat and most of the sausage fat, then used an equal portion of flour. I cooked a fairly light roux (mine was also fairly thin, and I wanted thicker) and stirred some soup into it to get a sludge, then stirred that into the soup and brought it back to the boil and simmered a couple minutes longer. I turned off the heat and stirred cream in at that point, and it was so good my coworker offered to pay me to make her a batch.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Ah okay, I'll try that with the next batch. As you can probably guess from the orange fat on top, my sausage meat was pretty fatty and rendered out quite a bit.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

NosmoKing posted:

Tater leek soup!!

Me too! It's never the most interesting looking soup but, gently caress, you can't beat that simple, hearty, wintery goodness.

Mine's spuds, leeks and onion diced and softened for a short while in veg oil. Stock > boil > season > simmer until all tender. Stick blend and gently reheat in a clean pan with crème fraîche stirred in (so almost the same :)).

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doomy posted:

I made this last night, it was fantastic. One question for you guys though, my soup was pretty thin and I was wondering what the recipe meant by making an adding a roux? How much roux do I make? Do I add it after I've added the cream to thicken it up?

Here's a video guide if it helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGS89KtrBnM

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Doomy posted:

What I did to thicken mine up without a roux was I just threw a parmesan rind in during the simmering stage. I have also added another potato and hit it for a second or two with an immersion blender. I make this A LOT in the winter. Unfortunately I am vegetarian and use fake Italian Sausage so it looks a bit grey. However to combat that I throw in some halved cherry or grape tomatoes for color.

So I guess in short I make a similar soup to this.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I made a soup with thanksgiving leftovers. Ground leftover porchetta and mixed with some ground beef, stale rolls, and egg and former into balls and seared off in some butter then cooked through in some turkey carcass stock. 1 bunch of spinach, some mushrooms, and a few cloves of garlic added then seasoned to taste. Topped with parmiggiano. Sort of an Italian wedding soup made with leftovers I guess.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
You guys are friken awesome. I love soup. I'm having the wife cook one tonight. Going to pick a random one from this thread each Sunday night. Tonight it's Echeveria's Thai-ish Green Tomato Soup:)

*edit dam you auto correct.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Last month I got sick with the bolas so I made chicken noodle soup with parsnips, dill and parsley:

This week it's carrot ginger soup with a dollop of sour cream:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I guess mods can change the title if were just gonna keep updating this thread instead of making weekly new ones.

• Locked thread