Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

angryhampster posted:

Autoboative Insanity: How do I get out of the slip"??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww_tNE39v_s

I see that and raise you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxg30c6z00E

I live on a 36 foot sailboat, with a 20HP diesel and got pointed to this thread by someone in my A/T thread. It's not fast, but a tank runs for ~30 hours, sends me at 6 knots and costs 40 bucks to fill, and that's if I'm not sailing.

I'm not a big fan of powerboats as a rule (their owners tend to be pretty dickish - that may entirely be confirmation bias) but a couple of my friends at the slip live on them and holy poo poo, they have a lot more room than a sailboat of the same size.

I have my CYA basic cruising cert, restricted VHF and pleasure craft operators license. I'm still real bad at sailing though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Kenshin posted:

That's why I love catamarans. Super roomy, really comfortable.

Have you sailed your boat very far (between cities? further?) or do you stay in your area?

No, I took it from Vancouver to Sidney and then Sidney to Victoria (both times with help, it was about a days travel each time) but haven't really taken it very far, I've just gone fishing outside the harbour. Once I get more confident I'm gonna start doing weekends and weeks away. Amazing cruising around here. I'd love a cat, but they are so expensive

Minus Pants posted:

What's the best way to learn to sail if you don't know anyone already into it? I've taken a 1 hour crash-course and read some books, but I'm not sure where to go from here. ASA 101/103? Private lessons? Any suggestions for where to take them? I'm in Chicago, but it would be nice to get something in this winter (obviously somewhere warmer).

Is there a sailing club near you that does racing? If so, they are always looking for crew members, even beginners.

Alctel fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 20, 2014

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Finally got the replacement part for my barometric damper

Now if it'd just stop loving raining so I can bore a huge hole in my roof

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I live on a 36 foot monohull, its an older sailboat and they don't have as much room as some of the newer ones

I think I could live on a ~30 footer pretty happily - the things that would suck would be less water/gas storage, and less space for the roughly 3 billion tools I seem to have collected.

I've been buying them as I need them as well, so it's not like I have anything I don't need

Alctel fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 26, 2014

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Picked up a Scotty 1106 downrigger today for $499 inc tax

Hell yeah! Chinook, Imma coming for you...

I am mildly worried I'm running out of space on my electrical panel though, esp since I still need to install a radar system and AIS (but I think that will run on the same circuit as my VHF radio)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

At least in the club near me they try to assign the beginners to people who don't really care about winning super much and are in it just for the love of sailing and have expressed an interest in helping teach people

Also there is a sport fishing boat a few slips along from me with 3, 300HP engines O_O

What would you even need 900HP for anyway? It's not even a charter boat

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The boat here is def used for fishing, I saw the guy go out two or three times fishing. His dumb boat has 45x the horsepower of my sailboat, hah.

It's amazing to me how many people here have a hugely expensive boat that they touch maybe twice a summer. My dock has a large liveaboard community (maybe 50%) so it's even worse in other marinas!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I just finished pulling my mast and installing radar, ais + vhf antennas, spreader lights, wind anemometer, davis windex, anchor light, red over green, steaming light , electric foghorn and radar reflector. I think I have a total of around 200 feet of wire in my mast now, the hardest part was installing conduit.

Oh, also had my running rigging and furler replaced (I didn't do that though).

I finally finished almost everything today - all my lights work, the AIS transmits/receives correctly and the wind anemometer works a treat. All I need now is to install the radar interface box and the hideously expensive propitiatory network cable, hook up the foghorn to the VHF and I'm DONE. All the new lights are LED which are rad and use very low power (loving pricey though)

I'm exhausted

edit: I also found my compression post had rotted out, blergh, so I had to replace that as well.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

You know what turns out to be loving hard? Living on a sailboat after you tear all the ligaments in your ankle playing soccer and have to use crutches. Ugh.

I haven't fallen overboard or down the companionway yet but its just a matter of time

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Get the Don Casey book 'Inspecting the aging Sailboat', it'll help you avoid a lot of the lemons

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I just rigged up a hammock in my sailboat, why didn't i do this a year ago christ

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Lovely photos, I took two weeks off and did the same trip, putted around between saltspring island and Port Townsend.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

More gulf islands/San Juan photos

And here is boat anchored off coal island

It was the longest trip I've done (12 days) with only the last two days spent in marinas. Went pretty well I think, and gave me a list of things to improve

If you get a chance to anchor in Watmough Bay in Lopez island you should take it, its beautiful

Alctel fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 10, 2015

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Scruff McGruff posted:

Those poor tables never stood a chance.

I'm on my phone - what's a good way to edit them so they don't break tables?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Thanks!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I know a guy with one in Bellingham, dunno if it's for sale though

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I've been singlehanding a 36' (that i live on) around the pnw for the last 3 years and heading off next year to attempt a solo circumnavigation of the globe . Singlehanding is all about having everything setup correctly and thinking everything through before you do it

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Sure, it's https://www.gudgeonblog.ca

I wasn't self promoting though, just saying that a boat in the 30s is definitely single-handable if set up right.

Guy on my dock singlehands a 48' - that'd be too much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

So I'm finding that leaving it till the week before you sail across the Pacific to try to replace your rigging is not a great idea.

Supposed to leave on Monday and done everything but the backstay and forestay (which it turns out I need a piece for that I can't get till Monday)

My last boat I refit over 5 years, this one has been over 18 months which really is not long enough!!!

If you are going to go swageless though, the Haynes marine ones are really really good. The setting ring makes a huge difference

Alctel fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 26, 2023