Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

realtalk: does triple deluxe have challenging content after all the main easy poo poo? because return to dreamland's main story was fairly easy (final boss was a motherfucking bitch) but then you get Ex mode where you have half health, enemy spawns are randomized and bosses get new attacks and even new forms later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Thank you for posting this. This is a good example of why Revenge of Meta Knight is better than Great Cave Offensive.

Great Cave Offensive is the story of Kirby being too stupid to not fall into a mine.

Revenge of Meta Knight is the story of Kirby being such an impossible force of nature, that when he is shot with one of the most powerful weapons in the universe.....

It just slows him down, for honestly just a level.

Revenge of Meta Knight is Part 1 of the story of how kirby is the most dangerous thing in his existence. He takes down the most powerful military vessel in Popstar. And mostly does it out of spite. At every turn Meta Knight sends his most powerful weapons after kirby. Heavy Lobster. Heavy Lobster can fire hyper beams, and kirby continually just fucks poo poo up.

In the end Meta Knight basically SACRIFICES himself, to run kirby off, just long enough to save his staff. Meta knight doesn't enter the last fight with winning in mind. He is there as a distraction so that people can abandon ship.

This leads me into Milky Way Wishes, or as i like to call it: How Kirby got tricked into loving up Space Time.

Kirby is powerful. Super loving powerful. We see this ALL the time.

In Milky Way Wishes. he is tricked into making the conditions for the perfect wish, by Marx. How does kirby do this?

By aligning the planets of Popstar's solar system, to bring out NOVA.

Nova is literally the Space Time clock of the Kirby universe. It is what keeps Space Time as Space Time. Kirby draws Nova out, and fucks it up internally just for the chance to make a wish.

Then Marx bounces in and steals the wish. TO become ALL POWERFUL. He wished a perfect wish to become the most powerful thing in the Dreamland universe.

And what is Kirby's response? He kills the (now) Most powerful being in Dreamland.

Which leads me to the Idea that King Dedede hating kirby, being a SMART thing. Kirby can gently caress poo poo up just by walking past it. King Dedede might not always be a benevolent ruler, but largely he just wants to keep Some status Quo. Which kirby largely is the opposite of. Eventually even Dedede realizes that opposing Kirby doesn't work. Which is why by the time we get to Return to Dreamland, they team up. You can't fight kirby and win. It just doesnt work.

Kirby is like some sorta god of entropy or destruction in his universe. And that is loving awesome :black101:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i didnt read that

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

well kirby's backstory involves him being some sort of cosmic deity born with all the power of a star, hence how his mouth leads to a black abyss and he's able to absorb anything while sustaining no damage

metaknight is of the same race, but he's not as powerful, however he tries drat hard whereas kirby never really had to and is a goofy gently caress

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Bobnumerotres posted:

well kirby's backstory involves him being some sort of cosmic deity born with all the power of a star, hence how his mouth leads to a black abyss and he's able to absorb anything while sustaining no damage

metaknight is of the same race, but he's not as powerful, however he tries drat hard whereas kirby never really had to and is a goofy gently caress

That is the other thing about Kirby. He is dumb. Dumb and largely motivated by base instinct. Which makes him sorta scary too. If you even loving resemble cake in the slightest, you're probably hosed in the Dreamlandverse.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Kirby is a friend

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Talkc posted:

Thank you for posting this. This is a good example of why Revenge of Meta Knight is better than Great Cave Offensive.

Great Cave Offensive is the story of Kirby being too stupid to not fall into a mine.

Revenge of Meta Knight is the story of Kirby being such an impossible force of nature, that when he is shot with one of the most powerful weapons in the universe.....

Revenge of Meta Knight is Part 1 of the story of how kirby is the most dangerous thing in his existence. He takes down the most powerful military vessel in Popstar. And mostly does it out of spite. At every turn Meta Knight sends his most powerful weapons after kirby. Heavy Lobster. Heavy Lobster can fire hyper beams, and kirby continually just fucks poo poo up.

In the end Meta Knight basically SACRIFICES himself, to run kirby off, just long enough to save his staff. Meta knight doesn't enter the last fight with winning in mind. He is there as a distraction so that people can abandon ship.

This leads me into Milky Way Wishes, or as i like to call it: How Kirby got tricked into loving up Space Time.

In Milky Way Wishes. he is tricked into making the conditions for the perfect wish, by Marx. How does kirby do this?

Nova is literally the Space Time clock of the Kirby universe. It is what keeps Space Time as Space Time. Kirby draws Nova out, and fucks it up internally just for the chance to make a wish.

Then Marx bounces in and steals the wish. TO become ALL POWERFUL. He wished a perfect wish to become the most powerful thing in the Dreamland universe.

And what is Kirby's response? He kills the (now) Most powerful being in Dreamland.

Which leads me to the Idea that King Dedede hating kirby, being a SMART thing. Kirby can gently caress poo poo up just by walking past it. King Dedede might not always be a benevolent ruler, but largely he just wants to keep Some status Quo. Which kirby largely is the opposite of. Eventually even Dedede realizes that opposing Kirby doesn't work. Which is why by the time we get to Return to Dreamland, they team up. You can't fight kirby and win. It just doesnt work.

Kirby is like some sorta god of entropy or destruction in his universe. And that is loving awesome :black101:

i wrote my undergrad thesis on video games and even i put less thought into them than this post does

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Heavy Lobster posted:

i wrote my undergrad thesis on video games and even i put less thought into them than this post does

Which is funny. Considering you are Heavy Lobster.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Talkc posted:

Which is funny. Considering you are Heavy Lobster.

bitch i know where my name comes from

e: Here's my new thesis on video games, I wrote it up today so it's still kind of a rough draft: Did you know that this silly game is actually... very serious? Shocking, I know, but here are 10 Weird Facts that prove that you are actually the Blood God of Popstar.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 21, 2014

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Heavy Lobster posted:

i like when people make posts like this rather than just tossing out gibberish up to a certain point

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

realtalk: does triple deluxe have challenging content after all the main easy poo poo? because return to dreamland's main story was fairly easy (final boss was a motherfucking bitch) but then you get Ex mode where you have half health, enemy spawns are randomized and bosses get new attacks and even new forms later on.

It had dedede mode which is technically harder but not really.

But then it has the hardest and most awesome True Arena in the series. The super final boss is incredible.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

i like when people make posts like this rather than just tossing out gibberish up to a certain point

I'm a big fan of theorycrafting and general masturbatory video games talk (this is why I follow the Morrowind thread closely) but I just have such a low tolerance for "well it's pretty dark if you think about it" nonsense because literally every video game can be explained away by variations on "IT'S PURGATORY MAAAN" because no poo poo a game's characters exist in a static universe you are interacting with high level binary configurations dweebus

Lighthearted games like Pokemon and Kirby and most Nintendo franchises also have tons of this poo poo around them because even gamers that aren't open about it have to make sure their media has undercurrents of Dark Grittiness apparently, god forbid the cutesy game doesn't confront big questions in any direct or meaningful way

Dec 26, 2012

Talkc posted:

i definitely read this

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

BN3 go play triple deluxe this loving instant

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

I'm a big fan of theorycrafting and general masturbatory video games talk (this is why I follow the Morrowind thread closely) but I just have such a low tolerance for "well it's pretty dark if you think about it" nonsense because literally every video game can be explained away by variations on "IT'S PURGATORY MAAAN" because no poo poo a game's characters exist in a static universe you are interacting with high level binary configurations dweebus

Lighthearted games like Pokemon and Kirby and most Nintendo franchises also have tons of this poo poo around them because even gamers that aren't open about it have to make sure their media has undercurrents of Dark Grittiness apparently, god forbid the cutesy game doesn't confront big questions in any direct or meaningful way

Gourmet Race is purgatory

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Looper posted:

Gourmet Race is purgatory

Sign me up, chief

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Blackheart posted:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Blackheart posted:

ive been meaning to. but now that i have smash that'll be postponed for a few years

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Heavy Lobster posted:

hey i wrote my undergrad thesis on my favorite thing too

except i somehow had to relate weed to linguistics so i did it on jamaican creole and got high with the exchange students

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heavy Lobster posted:

It's Great Cave Offensive, but I'm open to wrong opinions as well

For a moment I misread and thought the thread was "Kirby superstar subpar" but now I see and yea you are correct

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Talkc posted:

man

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The one is where you punch the world in half

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy gently caress that one owned too

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

When I played with my bro as a kid we would always pick TAC as a helper since its punch can cheese any boss in like 5 seconds.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjccyjVg7NA

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Not waiting for your opponent to punch first is incredibly poor sportsmanship

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the answer is Great Cave Offensive, now and forever

Bobnumerotres posted:

was this a thing outside of the anime?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

hey i wrote my undergrad thesis on my favorite thing too

except i somehow had to relate weed to linguistics so i did it on jamaican creole and got high with the exchange students

this owns

chill thesis buds :hfive:

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Kirby Super Star is easily one of the best games on the SNES if not of all time.

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope
great cave offensive, even though i never remember where all of the treasures are.

please play kirby, every day. please play dream land 3 and epic yarn, for good feelings and thoughts

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

medibot posted:

please play kirby, every day. please play dream land 3 and epic yarn, for good feelings and thoughts
why is your return to dreamland LP not in the LP Archive site

dream land 3 is an overlooked game, and that's a shame because it's really good and the graphics are excellent

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope

Y-Hat posted:

why is your return to dreamland LP not in the LP Archive site

dream land 3 is an overlooked game, and that's a shame because it's really good and the graphics are excellent

technically i never finished it because i never got a platinum medal on item challenge EX because it's way too hard. or maybe i just got mad about it and got it removed from the archive, i can't remember

dream land 3 is the superior snes kirby game and you will never convince me that i am wrong about this

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

dreamland 3 is overlooked because while it had a cool art style it came out after superstar and it was a big step down feature-wise (only a handful of powers, the powers didnt have any special moves, not a lot of variety in level design).

it's also very short and insanely easy

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
wasn't dreamland 3 like, literally the last nintendo snes game? or was that dkc3?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
There are three schools of Kirby (action, chill, and abstract) and it would be rather crass and unkirby to weigh games of two separate schools (Super Star and Dreamland 3)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kirby is the only game series I remember whose worst games were only mediocre instead of bad or turds. Maybe Donkey Kong too?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Kirby is the only game series I remember whose worst games were only mediocre instead of bad or turds. Maybe Donkey Kong too?

monster rancher

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mario mainline games don't have any turds, as well as zelda unless you couldnt get past the controls in skyward sword.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

darealkooky posted:

wasn't dreamland 3 like, literally the last nintendo snes game? or was that dkc3?
it wasn't the last but it was drat close to it

come to think of it, the only nintendo home console that didn't have a kirby game come out for it near the end of its lifespan was the gamecube.

NES- Kirby's Adventure
SNES- Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Kirby Super Star came out late too)
N64- Kirby 64
Wii- Kirby's Return to Dreamland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

mario mainline games don't have any turds, as well as zelda unless you couldnt get past the controls in skyward sword.

yeah you have to dip into some real obscure poo poo to find a mario game that dips below mediocre.

• Locked thread