Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Zell is one of only two good characters in your party because he's a moron like everybody else on the entire planet but not a total loving rear end in a top hat about it. Also, as we're going to see during the course of the LP, he and the other good character are the only persons who actually get things done competently at all.

I'm really struggling to think of the other competent character, but I think I know who you mean. This cast really is full of morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I think they expected people to think along the lines of "Use a little magic to take down powerful enemies faster but sacrifice some strength in the process" or something but it kinda fell flat when auto-attacks were just as or more powerful than magic.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Out of curiousity, why do you play this on an emulator instead of the PC version? Did they change something in the PC version or do you just need savestates to make the LP?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I think you (or someone) should post the FMV that occurs if you don't kill the spider-robot during the exam because it's a pretty bitching FMV.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Mazed posted:

It is creepy. And one of the better bits of foreshadowing that this game does.

Yeah I never noticed what the text said before. But if that's what it really says then it is all kinds of creepy, especially if you consider what's up with the radio wave interference and all that. Probably shouldn't say more than that but you guys who haven't played this before should remember this screen.

Also I'm not really a fan of the crazy mix of high-tech superbuildings like the TV station when put next to the mid-1900's normal buildings in Timber. I get that the game's art direction is kinda out there, but it looks pretty silly like that, especially since it's presumably at least 17 years old.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Mega64 posted:

How has no one else pointed this out yet? Talking about the feasibility of broadcasting in a town that has a place called Propaganda Tower.

How has nobody pointed out how they had trouble finding a TV station that not only literally dwarfs every other structure in the city, but also has a shitload of searchlights going in every direction.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Ward is using the harpoon while still in the army too. Wanna know how that got approved.

"You get a machine gun. You get two big knives, hope you can hit someone before you get shot. You get uuuuh a giant harpoon, no launcher though, just throw it at the enemy."

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
This LP is great though. I had no idea about most of the stuff in FH, opting to run straight to the objectives in most cases. And uh

Tbh a lot of that was spent in triple triad over like 3 playthroughs. I pretty much install it whenever I just want to break a game over my knee before the second boss or w/e.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
It's been a while since I played this bit so I might be forgetting something important, but is it every explained WHY they send Squall & co into space? Like, what's their endgame with this plan? I know they meet some people up there, but is it ever stated what those people would actually do to remedy the situation?

VV Jesus christ I completely forgot the whole plot.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 2, 2016

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

This is my favourite shot in the game so far - it implies that even through they're expecting the 3 visitors they still contemplate letting them sail off into space for whatever reason instead of doing what they're supposed to do. Like, they're still complete strangers at this point but the controller is such a sociopath that he still considers murdering them just because.

I wonder what their excuse would be if they just let that happen and someone followed up on it...

Well other dialogue suggests they get corpses shot up there occasionally so you know, maybe they don't need to recover EVERY capsule...

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I never understood how there was a functioning stock market in that future.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Quote is not edit.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

LEGO Genetics posted:

We're getting to that part of the game where my disc 3 failed to read anymore.

just after getting the Ragnarok

Mine stopped during the FMVs in this update. :(

I kinda like the upcoming sequence, it's pretty touching.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Are those one-off sequences really minigames though? I guess in the strictest sense, but when I think minigames in JRPGs I think of Triple Triad or the motorcycle from FF7.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
This was one of the places where I got stuck on my first time through the game (second place is coming up pretty soon). I was an idiot and barely understood the game's system, so the only way I could kill these things was with Ifrit boosted with a turbo controller. This was where I discovered what Boost was and actually did. It might also have been the place where I discovered Gamefaqs.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Not a summon but anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InNHB9J0eqs

My favorite bit is the planet labeling, but it's just great overall in how silly it is.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
This is a sweet scene, but I wanna point out how baller the Ragnarok's design is.

"Should a beast head be added to the front?" should be on every vehicle manufacturer's checklist.

How completionist is this LP gonna be btw?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

WampaLord posted:

This is what I mean by Final Fantasy having an 11 year old's idea of sex.

Rinoa and Squall are hormone-addled teenagers who love each other. He bursts her out of sorceress prison, they run towards each other, embrace and...just embrace.

Why isn't that a big drat kiss moment?

Yeah it is the big kiss moment, but on the other hand it's a teenage romance made by a japanese company so holding hands makes you pregnant and kissing in public is for exhibitionists. At least we got a space adventure instead of summer vacation triple-episodes.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Cool Ghost posted:

Also, please post any votes for two party members to take on some adventures around the place. Get the posts in by Monday at noon (UTC-7) and, as always, please bold your votes!

Zell and anyone, assuming you're going where I think you are.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize the garden-SeeD word connection. I'll blame it on being like 11 when I first played it and not being a native English speaker.

Is there no way that Edea's limit break is just an advanced form of para-magic and that she retained a little bit of magic knowledge from having been possessed?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I doubt that Martine would have actually sent a sharpshooter known for failing under pressure.

I would have accepted the explanation that he did it purposefully to get a dishonorable discharge but get to keep all the rare Triple Triad cards that were confiscated at Galbadia Garden.

Zinco posted:

........oh.

Well, don't worry yourself that it was because you weren't a native English speaker...

Well that's reassuring I guess :v:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Two Finger posted:

the thing is the broad strokes of the plan aren't actually bad.

'two teams, one to make the distraction, the other to take the shot while the distraction is in play.'

it's a pretty classic sort of assassination plan.

now if selphie was in charge, it would be two teams, one to watch for the exact moment edea goes underneath the gates, the second to trigger the gate so she gets brutally spiked to death by the gate.

With a bazooka rigged as a failsafe.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Cactaur shall be Conductor, named for the Cactuar Conductor from World of Final Fantasy, who runs the trains.

Yeah Conductor is good. Alternatively just "Prick."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG64Qr56fb8

Also Doomtrain.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I think I only ever fought enough Marlboros for the weapon upgrade materials and then never went to Island Closest to Heaven except with enc-none to farm the draw points.

I do vividly remember my first Marlboro encounter in FF7 at Gaea's Cliff. It was fast and painful, at least.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
The classic combat boots :iceburn:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
The next boss is the one that stumped me on my first time through the game when I had no idea what I was doing. I think I barely understood how the junction system worked, had done almost none of the optional content (including weapons and limit breaks) and I only had a handful of useful spells with me, including a single Meltdown. I think I finally beat it after a few hours of trying spread out over a week or so, but then stopped playing since I assumed I wouldn't be able to beat anything afterwards anyway.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Patter Song posted:

Oh God, I'd blanked on that at first and thought you meant Seifer and was wondering how you could you get stuck there.

Yeah I kinda forgot that. Obviously I got stuck on Adel. :(

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
How are you using magic in a non-junction game?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Well, I guess it's a fringe case then, but Gilgamesh's in World of Final Fantasy as well, and is goofy as hell. Still looking for swords and want to fight or whatever it is he do.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Welcome to Castlevania.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I liked the various Cloister of Trial. :shrug:

:staredog:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
In case it wasn't obvious, a lot of Zell's Duel moves are callbacks to Tifa's limit breaks in FF7. Tifa was the martial arts puncher of FF7.

In FF7, Tifa's Limit Break was unique in that you could use all her limits at once. Without going into too much depth about that game's mechanics, how it works is that you have 4 different limit "levels" per character. With each character (barring some excepetions) having 2 limits per level at level 1-3 and 1 final limit break at limit level 4. As you unlocked limit breaks and limit levels you had to change level and could only use limits from the chosen level. So if you were using limit level 1, you only had access to the two level 1 limit breaks until you unlocked level 2, at which point you changed (at will) to limit level 2 and had access to level 2 limit breaks. Anyway, Tifa had access to all her previously unlocked limits at higher levels. What happens is that most characters got a menu with their currently available limits breaks, but with Tifa you get a set of one-armed bandit rollers, like this:

where each roll is a limit break (miss for miss, hit for hit, yeah! for critical) so if you hit a lot of them it was supposed to look like a combo move. I think Zell's Duel was built on that concept.

The following of Zell's Duel moves are callbacks:

Punch Rush (called Beat Rush in FF7, also the first limit of level 1)
Dolphin Blow
Meteor Strike (originated in FF6, I believe)
My Final Heaven (Tifa's final limit break is called Final Heaven. She has a number of other references to heaven in that game too)

I might have missed something, but whatever, there's some trivia.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

"And Chocobos." Of course.

I think that's just because chocobos can't be killed. Don't they just run away?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Nidoking posted:

I can't say I know much about games specifically, but I know how programming tends to work and the shortcuts programmers take, so I've figured out some things from playing multi-disc games like Final Fantasies and Phantasmagorias. Obviously, when you're looking at a game taking up more than one disc, there's a lot of commonality that has to take up space on every disc. The less of that there is, the more room for unique per-disc stuff, but then you have to reduce the ability to go to those common areas during the discs that don't contain it. (Contrast this with multi-disc games in the floppy era, where disc-swapping was a simple operation, so the common portions were on disc 1 and usually installed to the computer or loaded into memory for the duration of the game, and you'd have to swap to whatever disc had the resources for a given area as you moved around the game.) Tricks like blocking off the towns are the most obvious example of that. But including portions of the game that aren't generally used on that disc can make sense, depending on the compression (kompression?) technology they're using. Certain resources might be packaged into a library very efficiently, and there might be little or no reduction in size from removing one or two portions of that, at the cost of now having multiple copies of very similar libraries that then need to be modified and tested separately. Common libraries between discs might also happen to refer to resources that wouldn't normally be on that disc, so in order to run smoothly, there has to be some resource with the required ID, whether it's the intended one or not. That would account for different FMVs playing when the wrong disc is in. In other cases, it's entirely possible to exclude portions of the program that shouldn't be required for a given disc, so the common world map just has broken links to resources for areas that don't exist, trusting the game's inherent structure to prevent players from reaching them. There's a big risk/reward structure in any kind of development like this, and not many companies put forth the people and time required to do the job well, so whatever works first gets shipped.

It could also be scenario changes late in the schedule that remove the need to execute certain scenes on certain discs, after everything's been laid out, and it's easier just to disable those portions than to try to rearrange the data to fit anything else on the discs. That fits pretty well with the way I understand Square's development schedule (i.e. create fancy FMV cutscenes for ads first, then construct a game that mashes them all together somehow). Having used the original RPG Maker a bit and understanding the distinction between System Data (locations, character models, maps, etc.) and Scenario Data (events) helps a bit. The System Data tends to be more common between discs, while Scenario Data can usually be restricted to one disc.

This is interesting, but I guess it's all out the window now since a lot of games are digital or on Blu-rays?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Cool Ghost posted:

Caraway's in prime position to take over Galbadia. In this world, the Leonhart-Heartilly extended family is the only political power worth mentioning.

Oh geez I didn't even consider that. Now I want a Blue Bloods style intro with those 4 characters.

Unrelated, but is the planet in FF8's name every mentioned or revealed?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Been more than 3 years but we're finally here. Sick LP CG. If you don't put in a screenshot of that very well-known frame in the ending I will.

Also the music owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

How Rude posted:

Great job showing off the game. The ending for FFVIII always warms my heart. I just wish the game showed more development for the supporting cast. Like Quistis stops being relevant very soon after the assassination attempt. Would have been neat to learn more (but definitely not more about Irvine, the creep).

I like how Irvine shows the smallest grain of a hint of character depth for two hours after you first get him and is then completely flat for the remainder of the game.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 19, 2017

• Locked thread