Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Zell was one of my first crushes. And is probably the only reason I bothered to finish this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think you mean X-2 started with a concert.

WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU

...Dammit.

That song is way catchier than it has any right to be.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I agree. This game doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy. It was a bold attempt to take the series in a new direction. I mean, it failed on several fronts, but they could have given it another name and not missed a beat. And comparing it to former games when it's incredibly obvious when the designers wanted to distance themselves from the past games (in all but name) makes it harder to judge on its merits.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
SeeD stands for "See Delights" because when you're a mercenary in a fantasy setting you see delightful things like burnt or frozen corpses and organs on the outside of people's bodies.

Duh.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
One thing that really bugged me about this game is that 95% of the character development for anyone who isn't Squall or the female lead is totally and completely optional. One the one hand, it makes sense because most of the cast is mercenaries and revealing personal stuff isn't exactly professional, but it does make it harder to relate to them. And the same goes for major plot points. If you go through the game and talk only to required NPC's and don't examine every console or info dump you find, you leave the game not knowing what the hell happened.

Well, to a greater extent than you do if you DO do that.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really loved Laguna in The Blind Side, despite how terrible he looked as a blonde.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There's "flawed", and then there's "Oh my god you are such a colossal gently caress-up that everything you touch turns to poo poo you loving spoiled princess-rear end bitch"

Rinoa falls under one of those.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

exethan posted:

I know about the new party member, I just didn't know how random encounters were different based on parties you choose.

I think he's just saying it doesn't really matter because reasons

EDIT: Oh right, Quistis and Selphie because Selphie will like the train ride and Quistis can be blonde and in a pink dress.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 24, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I get that it's 100% a gameplay thing, but you'd think Zell would be a little concerned when two of his companions wake up and all of a sudden they're holding they're guts inside with their hands.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

LordAba posted:

"I have to keep my daughter safe!"
Sets 5 minute timer that beeps every second and walks away from rebellious teenage daughter.

Of everything that is so terrible about this scene, THAT is what bugs me the most. He's gonna lock her in, leaves the room, and doesn't close the door behind him? And she realizes that he's magically gonna lock it and gets out without him noticing? Was this scene any clearer in the Japanese version about that?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I forgot about the beeping.

Ah, well. This whole arc is dumb as hell anyway.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
But really no matter what, you have to try in order to lose to Edea. Seriously. She's a pushover even with terrible junctions.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

K-ParAdoX posted:

Or a very violent douching.

Edit: Who names a female dog "Angelo"? Oh right, it's Rinoa.

They need to hammer the "Rinoa = Angel" symbolism as much as possible. It was that or make Rinoa look like David Boreanaz.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I know how it would have been better as Angela. I was just making a joke.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I went with Quistis and Zell to Balamb and sent Rinoa to the missile base in the hopes that a missile turns around and hits her in the face.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 21, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I actually think this would be a cool game to replay from the perspective of each of the main characters

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
[b]Zell and Selphie, aka Team Beat it Up and if That Doesn't Work Blow it Up"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The fact that you didn't get Odin's Speed Junction scroll hurts me in the deepest part of my soul.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Brahne's fleet has Black Mages.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
We took care of the Sorceress and Rinoa is dead. Happy ending for all! It's weird that they put the ending on it's own disc though. And that the final boss gives you a GF. There must be a New Game Plus

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Guys, Kool Ghost hasn't gotten there yet. K'mon.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I was just making a joke. Clearly it wasn't my best

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Not even trying :colbert:

It was late, I'd had a long day and I was already dozing on and off in my rekliner. I hope one day you kan forgive me.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Because that dress is totally bitchin'

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

ManSedan posted:

So is it pronounced Gal-bah-dia or Gal-bay-dia?

It's pronounced "gif"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Um excuse me but Crono attacked with swords and custodial supplies so there's zero connection. ZERO

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Quistis because she'll appreciate what's about to happen more than the others and Selphie because she's an adrenaline junkie

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's pronounced "caramel"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
And for a place so big, there's really not a lot to do there. Although out of the Final Fantasy games I've played, I've played VIII the least by far, so I could very well be missing something. As far as I know, there's only one other thing you don't have access to yet.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Mans posted:

there's no good sewer levels in any game

Final Fantasy VII's wasn't bad. But then again it was literally one screen. And Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete's sewer was standard fair for that game. Earthbound's wasn't horrible either. Paper Mario. Yes, I'm sitting here racking my brains because I'm bored.

For my money though, the worst offenders are Beyond the Beyond (but that's the worst offender on like 18 different levels anyways), Xenogears, and Breath of Fire II (mostly because it's yet another huge step up in difficulty for random encounters)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It would have been so easy to let Rinoa drift off and annoy some kind of alien species. C'mon Squall, take one for the team.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

NikkolasKing posted:

Gameplay in XIII is actually a challenge, which is another point for it.

You misspelled "slog"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think if you kill the Propogators enough outside of the intended way, they disappear on their own. I remember that happening when I was farming stones for -aga spells in my first playthrough.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Regalingualius posted:

Wasn't that theory eventually shot down by the creators themselves?

Like that would stop anybody

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Zell and Selphie

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really don't like how much this game forces you to connect the dots to get a full picture. It's one thing to leave a few details out that are filled in somehow later (either through NPC's, sidequests, or whatever), but this game just leaves out so much. Forced exploration of optional areas or delving deep into archives to get even a basic understanding of the plot is just bad design.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm voting we call DoomTrain "WHOO-HOO!" and junction him exclusively to Selphie

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Bahamen

Because he let the dragons out

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Malboro's were a huge shock for me. Before this game, the only experience I had with them was in Final Fantasy IV. Bad Breath is pretty harmless in that game, since it's single target, and inflicts EVERYTHING on it. That includes Pig, Toad, and Mini, which makes any unit completely useless...even if they were awake. It was essentially a Sleep spell with useless additions. And in this game, they're a death sentence if you're not properly prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Yup. It turns you into a tiny half pig half frog monstrosity

• Locked thread