Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

FieryNips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

SonicRulez posted:

Glad to see FF8 being played, I actually really liked the game which I'm told is a rare thing. The story never bothered me too much. I guess maybe I didn't care a whole lot. Junctioning was a pretty cool system and even though it's an incredibly minuscule thing, the trigger on the Gunblade is a neat mechanic.

I certainly don't hate it, and I like the mechanics of the game, despite how much they can break the game. If you don't go into it with the intent of breaking it and play it like a normal person would play it (ie, not going straight out and loading up on Ultimas or whatever), it's an alright, if tedious, system. I always thought it was like Materia without the pretty colors.

I really thought the only unforgivable thing in the whole game was the ridiculousness of the plot. Not the story, but the actual mechanical actions of the plot. One too many Astonishing Coincidences for my liking. And I think it took me four or five restarts to get past disc two. I may play it again one day, I dunno.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

To be fair, writing for videogames is notoriously hard because you're at the mercy of whatever everyone else wants to do. Especially when you have a FMV team and a boss encounters team and accounting and the rest of corporate all breathing down your neck. Everyone puts out a clunker sometimes. The fact that I mostly got the story in VIII while I had no loving clue how things fit in VII is pretty telling, though. At least you knew who the actual villain was in VIII.

e: That is to say, all the incoherent weirdness of plot was secondary to the overall arc of the story. It went from point A to point B, but it went through points R, F, and 34 first.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

CmdrKing posted:

Seifer gives Zell the lamest insulting name he can think of

I always thought that "Chicken-wuss" was a bad localization or intentional censoring of "Chickenshit" as it still implies frightened and weak and "Chickenshit" is a little more Seifer's character than something that sounds absolutely ridiculous.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Fister Roboto posted:

I've never been able to figure out how this game is "meant" to be played.

Step 1: buy Brady Games guide
Step 2: follow it religiously
Step 3: never actually learn how the game works

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

curiousCat posted:

I never knew this.

Thread title? Please?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MightyPretenders posted:

I've seen a few Rinoa apologists. They brought up a few ideas worth considering - but no proof, sad to say.

1. Supposedly, her spoiled attitude came from the translation team. She was supposed to just be Naive.

2. Why did she dance with Squall at the beginning? One theory is that she was trying to cheer him up after his obviously recent disfigurement.

What do you all think? Do those seem likely at all?

Keep Angelo's name

1. I read it as naive. I was, y'know, 16.

2. Because she wanted to dance? She was a girl at a dance where people dance. Thus: dancing.

I don't understand the hate for Rinoa. Like, she's in no way as terrible a character as Irvine and not as gratingly one-dimensional as Zell or Selphie. While she clearly exists as a plot device, she still has more characterization than Mr. Hot Dogs.

All in all I don't really care, but if we're in for a year of bitching about Rinoa, I'm checking out.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

mauman posted:

Obviously you do care if you're willing to leave over it.

My advice? Don't. You'll still find good stuff here. Just deal with the fact that others have opinions that differ than yours.

You misunderstand. I don't personally care about the characters. I just don't find a thread about how everyone hates one of them (and repeats it over and over) to be interesting. Yeah, I'm posting about posting.

That said, the conversation so far has been pretty interesting, and I'm finding my opinion on both Squall and Laguna changing from my own playthroughs, where I disliked both of them for being bland. I thought all the side characters, even Zell and Selphie, to be far more compelling than either "lead".

I get dislike. I don't get blind hatred, especially in a genre that's pretty loose in characterization beyond archetypes.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bradzilla posted:

Almost as if he's an angsty teenager confused about the world. :aaaaa:

...who is given combat training, a sword with a gun in it, superpowered magical creatures, and orders to murder any and everything if the money is right.

A sound business model.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Zeikier posted:

I can't help shaking my head every time we go over how intricate they made the rule spreading and trade mechanics for Triple Triad. I can't imagine the minds that thought of these systems and what they would do for something that wasn't a minigame that should never have mechanics this complex.

Thing is, cards are integral to breaking the game if you know what you're doing, pretty powerful if you have some idea of what you're doing, and a pretty fun side game if you have no idea. I think it's sufficiently complex to fit all those roles, considering the game is just comparing X and Y a couple dozen times per hand.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Cool Ghost posted:

I'm going to try not to use it too much. I'll probably still use Enc-Half, though.

I think this is what I usually ended up doing, because I was too stupid to realize that the game is loving borked from the start. "Encounter none? But how will I level?!"

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bregor posted:

:rip: in peace, Squall.

: Now it's time for the Zell Show! Dat-dat-dat-daah-dat-daah! It's the Zell Show, starring me, I'm Zell! It's the Zell Show, and I've got lots of good guests! Bah-dat-daah-daah-dat-daah...

Thank you for this.

Waterguy posted:

I'd like to remind/tell those that don't know that this is the point that the "Squall is Dead" theory begins.
Not that it is worth much, but it is a thing that exists.

Squall is dead, Aeris is alive. It's all a Reptilian plot to take over JRPGs.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kilonum posted:

I feel old, I was 17 when this game first came out.

Came out the week I turned 18.

Get off my lawn.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I was seven, which is weird because I thought this game came out earlier than that.

See that's what I thought, too. For some reason I thought it came out in like 1996, even though I knew that's not right (because FF7). I don't think I got it for Christmas the year it came out, either, I think I got it in 2000. I dunno. Time is all hazy between 1997 and about 2009 for me. (Depression!)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hyord posted:

Maybe its just that I havn't played this game in fifteen years but I'm not following the train of thought behind this Seifer epiphany. Could anyone help me put the pieces together?

From what I'm gathering, it's very spoilery, and as such in content with people not explaining until it comes up. I'm sure CG will mention it when the time comes.

Edit: I can't for the life of me remember either. It's okay, man. We'll get there together.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

This is the dumbest argument I have seen in this thread. It's not that weird at all to describe something as "romantic" and not mean "intent on sex". poo poo, there's an entire artistic movement called romantic and it has gently caress all to do with anything other than an aesthetic ideal.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Booties posted:

lol thats incredible

oh man, funcoland

I remember when the KB in my local mall closed. It was a sad day.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Keeshhound posted:

This reminds me of something I didn't get a chance to mention back during the parade, but I really appreciate how the Sorceress' magic isn't limited to attack spells. It helps to sell her as a credible threat that she can just do weird poo poo like phasing through doors instead of opening them, and animating statues.

I always found the idea of a war against the sorceress mind-boggling. Not against the sorceress' army (which yes, was what it was), but an entire war waged against one person, and that war had thousands of casualties on the anti-sorceress side, plus it hosed up the magnetic field of the planet enough to make radio transmission impossible.

At that point I figured there wasn't much the sorceress couldn't do.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The_Frag_Man posted:

:agreed: Brian Blessed is the perfect choice to voice NORG in FFVIII-HD for PS4.

It's not terribly different from his role as Boss Nass and no more weird than Flash Gordon. I'm in.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

One thing this game definitely has in an overabundance of plot. Not story, plot. There's so much going on all the time when all they really needed to do was make the plot nice and linear with a couple loops thrown in. The gameplay suffers because so much of the action happens outside of battle screens, so something like the desert prison, while actually being a tiny, tiny part of the game, becomes an unbearable slog because nothing happens there. Nothing in this game is straightforward because it's trying to be *~EPIC~*. They would have had to either pare down the many many plot points, or expand upon them to make them worth even mentioning. There are a ton of great plot points and setpieces on the game that would have been fine if they were edited out and placed in a different game, or expanded upon, making VIII even larger and more expensive.

Man, everything about this game is stuff I want to like because I can kinda see what they were trying to do, but they failed so spectacularly in so many places. It's the same way I feel about XIII, really, except in that case everything is so coincidental and all the disparate threads just happen to line up because deus ex machina instead of just abandoning things as in VIII. Something happens in XIII and you think "Okay, so what?" whereas in VIII something happens and you thinkg "Well, and then what?"

This is, of course, a roundabout way of saying that I really wish they'd consider their writing a little more. Either back it off or crank it up, but this halfway poo poo just annoys anyone actually playing for the story.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Nah, everyone just proxies cards they can't afford. It's not like these are sanctioned matches.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

KirbyKhan posted:

Thats kinda the magical thing about FF8, this game is so full of moments that so just as contrived as this. It is a plot that demands Saturday Morning Cartoons level suspension of disbelief to roll with.

I really don't think it's this instance in the series specifically. I'd go so far as to say most of the games, probably even the ones with "good" storytelling, have beats that are missing, aren't necessary, or just plain don't make sense. And I think most of the time it's because the team goes "HEY LET'S DO THIS COOL SET PIECE!" without even remotely thinking about how to resolve it. Or, like XIII, the FMV gets done and then they have to wedge it into the story somehow because Hey We Spent All This Time and Money.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hymirvetr posted:

The Sorceress is also not the type to show up in Fishy Ho with the normal troops. Neither is Seifer. They need theatrics and a certain flair.

The "she" in Roro's original post was Ellone, not Edea. The question was why Edea would send soldiers to find Ellone when she presumably knows where Ellone is (with the White SeeDs). Unfortunately most of my memories of this game are of setpieces and locations, so I'm not sure if this actually gets explained.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I think part of Squall's issue with this is less the fact that he's been given a job to do and more that he was surprised with it and his assignment was announced to the whole company at once. Squall absolutely hates attention, and anything that increases the odds that he'll be dealing with people annoys him.

Like, imagine if your boss made you vice president, but you only found out when he announced it to everyone else during the corporate Christmas party. No chance to come to terms with this new responsibility. Have fun. PS we're probably all going to die if you can't get those new reports in on time. You'd be pissed, too.

While obviously that's not everything that's going on, it's probably part of it. That said, I don't exactly fault Cid for putting Squall in charge. He has accomplished (to some degree) every task he's been given. And he managed to get NORG out of the picture to boot. Who else would Cid put in charge that we've seen?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

NORG was interested in money, not actually training SeeDs. Think about how much better most companies would run if it weren't for those pesky stockholders.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I actually think this would be a cool game to replay from the perspective of each of the main characters

This is one of the few times I'd absolutely pick Selphie.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

FeyerbrandX posted:

What's the worst that could happen at something as simple as a little musical performance in an RPG?

:ohdear:

I just can't let this post go unappreciated.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Cool Ghost posted:

Julia Heartilly, who married General Caraway, is Rinoa Heartilly's mother.

I completely forgot this somehow and now I have to go read a plot summary. Because this seems like one of those details that means something beyond Rinoa and Squall having a bad date.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

VagueRant posted:

I find all of this very boring and this low stakes emotional drama really drags down the pace of a story that's so far involved political assassination, evil sorceress tyrants, and a 17 year old becoming the leader of an organisation of amoral hired killers.

So the idea of a dragged out scene about how he doesn't open up to his friends just seems wildly out of place.

I think that's less out of place than holding a concert in the middle of a town you just plowed into with your giant city-ship and also led an army detachment straight into. Like, they could have slid this scene into the plot as normal but they turned it into this elaborate set piece that requires you to entirely forget that there's a loving war going on that you are directly responsible for. That your friends almost blew up. That Selphie's friends DID blow up.

Nah, we'll chill and have a concert and it will be THE BEST and this town we're occupying will LOVE IT.

Who even went to that concert besides Squall and Rinoa?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Rinoa and Quistis. Team Love Triangle, if you please. I don't even remember where they go from here.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

curiousCat posted:

Snow is better than Zell.

Snow is a giant doofy piece of poo poo that I never used unless I had to, and being subjected to him in cutscenes was far worse to me than the gameplay of FFXIII. If he actually turns out to not be a dingus in XIII-2 or Lightning Returns, I'll revise that position, but he is, as such, a massive dingus. All the punchy dudes have been from all the way back. Zell was just the least unlikeable one.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Oh hey I disappeared for a while there.

Punchy dudes are all dinguses. Snow is just the most massive of them. I was going to reiterate that Zell is the least, but then this update happened.

So yes, Sabin is PROBABLY the LEAST dingus-y. HAPPY??

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Heh.

Speaking of parents, do people just knowingly send their children to become mercenaries at this school? I'm recalling the age-range and it seems really troubling.

I will note that there's an *awful* lot of orphans in this setting.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Well there's always Turdberry.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Psion posted:

It does seem that Square, unfortunately, learned the wrong lesson with 8 and put even more plot in even more hard to find optional sequences. Great work :v:

THAT'S what bothers me. I couldn't really put it into words, but exactly this. Everyone (that I knew at the time, anyway) complained about the "complexity" of the mechanics, but for the most part the game itself* isn't nearly so convoluted as the plot. And given how much of VII I missed or forgot, I'm still waiting to see what I missed in VIII. So far it's been a lot.

I still like the GF system outside of junctioning--which I dislike for its lack of real flexibility--in that it seems like an extension of the summon materia leveling in VII.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm pretty sure I used the reporter method, but I'm not sure. I don't remember how much it cost.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Not sure about the eyepatch though. Maybe it's for the same reason, like in a backstory that never gets explained in game she got injured and can now only speak through a voice box.

Maybe she also got injured in a duel with Seifer.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If we're indeed off to Trabia, it would be sacrilege to not include Selphie. As for Goober #2, let's take Quistis so she can again see the result of failure.

(I honestly don't remember if we've saved the garden or if it's even possible. So my vote is Team Pathos.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MR. J posted:

Jesus this place always pissed me off just because I'm unsettled by NORG's stupid death cocoon festering under the garden and it never gets explained. What is it for?!

He's evolved into his final form: Useless Blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

GeminiSun posted:

Something I realized while reading this LP, which I didn't realize when I was playing FF8 myself, is that this scene, while apparently trying to make Irvine deeper and more sympathetic, instead makes him retroactively a god drat sociopath. If he remembers everyone, if he knows they were all in the same orphanage being raised by the same woman, then why the gently caress did he try to abandon them to die in the desert prison? He only came back because Rinoa made him!

God help me, for some reason I liked Irvine when I was a kid playing this game. Now I have no idea why.

Not only that, but he repeatedly didn't tell them this seemingly very important point. Every moment from joining the group onward he didn't tell them. Not even at FH, which was nothing but downtime.

• Locked thread