Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cool Ghost posted:

It does a lot of damage to Ifrit - he only has 1,068 HP (this is fixed - Ifrit is an exception, and does not level up with the player), so summoning IcyNips will tear him up fast.

To clarify the underlying mechanics here, normal enemies including bosses - there are exceptions - are either 80% or 120% of the average level of your current party members, or (instead of whatever that calculation and RNG check spits out) the enemy's max level, whichever is less.

Random enemies and most optional bosses have a max level of 100 (so a level 100 party will fight level 80 or level 100 enemies, not level 80 or level 120 enemies). What makes plot bosses unusual is that they have max levels below 100, ranging from 6 (Ifrit here) to 65 (final boss), and scaling up gradually in between.

Anyway, Squall and Quistis are always high enough level that 80% of their average level (even after rounding shenanigans), let alone 120%, is not going to be less than Ifrit's max level of 6. So he just always ends up being level 6. He doesn't have any special level coding otherwise, his max is just so low that it always kicks in.

Later bosses, however, will have high enough max levels that it can make anywhere from a small (early-game) to a big (later-game) difference how much you level up before fighting them. Are you low enough level that your calculated level based on average party level is used, or are you high enough level that the max level kicks in?

As a side note, I mentioned exceptions to normal levels. We won't see another one for a long time, but random encounters in the Fire Cavern are one of those exceptions. Enemies here completely ignore party level and will always be level 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Level tiers are 1-19, 20-29, and 30-100 for most things in the game, including all bosses. (Although the bosses may not be able to reach all of their tiers due to max level shenanigans.)

Ruby Dragons are 1-34, 35-44, and 45-100.

Elnoyles, Imps, Behemoths, Toramas, Turtapods, and Iron Giants are 1-29, 30-39, and 40-100.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Lavender menace posted:

I remember during the thread of the LP that shall not be named, some goon posted lots of in depth information about the RNGs used in the game. Would it be worth delving into the archives and trying to salvage them? They give quite a lot of insight into what is happening under the hood of the game, and why child's card games acquire stupid rules like herpes.

I would be the "some goon" from that thread, so it's probably easier just to ask me directly if you're curious about anything. Use PMs if it's spoilery and you want to know now rather than later. I have the (very dubious) honor of knowing a hell of a lot about this game's under-the-hood mechanics.

I'm gonna try to space out my mechanics :spergin: posts a bit and share things mostly as they become relevant (e.g. that previous bit about boss max levels).

On the subject of RNG manipulation, its practical usefulness is mostly limited to making deliberate changes to card rules not make you want to gouge your eyes out. There are a few other things you can do with it but that's the big one.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I agree: even if you're power-gaming in terms of leveling bang for the buck, it's still easier and quite possibly faster to just eat some non-optimal levels and make up for them with permanent stat-up items later (which don't take terribly long to get, late-game), than it is to take extra time to bend over backwards being super careful to avoid any and all scraps of unwanted experience.

This isn't FF6 or FF9 where a non-optimal level gained is a permanently lost opportunity.

If you're in that situation, the only advice you really need to take away is a. go for Enc-None sooner rather than later and b. don't go out of your way to grind levels before you can level with four Bonus abilities.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You're penalized for this, too, actually (-1 rank). It just doesn't kick in until you get a rank in the first place.

Both this and the later thing are a case of a. be at the right point in the plot and b. reload the room until the NPC in question decides to show up. Balamb Garden (on room load) and Balamb town (on town load) have some surprisingly heavy randomization of which NPCs are around, where they are, and what they're doing.

(This mechanic is then largely dropped for most other places in the game.)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

My guess is that it was an early development idea which later got axed for time or budget reasons, so they had time to do it for a few places but not for everywhere.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

To be fair, getting 20 of a spell from 1 of an item is a pretty standard rate. Slightly rarer things give 10, things like M-Stone Pieces or buyable status cures give 5 (or less) but are easily obtained in large amounts, rare items give 100.

This isn't a hard-and-fast rule, but it does apply to a lot of refinement options in the game.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Gnoman posted:

That is extremely difficult to pull off, primarily due to the 12 pulse ammo needed. The only way to get that on Disc 1 is to refine 20 Elnoyle cards, which would require an immense amount of time sunk into Triple Triad to obtain.

There's also the Laser Cannon route if you're willing to powerlevel. Either way, it's slow, tedious, and impractical.

Yes, I've done it myself. More than once. I stand by my opinion nonetheless.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cool Ghost posted:

Again with the emoting. Zell goes for the handshake, but Squall crosses his arms and turns away. Neither says anything about it.

Rejected Zell's handshake count: 1

If you keep an eye out, there will be more. It's not just Squall who does it either.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

On the subject of accuracy and evasion from early in the last post, it's worth noting that almost every enemy in the game has absolute garbage for evasion. On top of that, limits just ignore the accuracy/evasion calculation and always hit, as do a number of other things.

Accuracy matters if you're not Squall and you're blinded (in which case it's a quarter of what it would be otherwise), or when fighting one very specific random enemy type popular for AP farming later in the game. The rest of the time, you will basically never ever notice it. (Every now and then Zell might whiff a hit, but it's a once in a blue moon sorta thing.)

And the best part is that neither of those two situations is really remedied by paying much attention to your Hit stat. (Well, it's a valid solution to the second one, but there are smarter options like a single bullet of Shotgun Ammo.) It really is colossally useless and if you're playing along at home, you should never junction any remotely important spell there.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

All playable characters not named Squall, Quistis, Zell, Selphie, Rinoa or Irvine have one limit each, with no variations or options.

I'm calling faulty memory here. Back in the day, people tried (and failed) to use GameShark hacks to accomplish exactly what you describe.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ZevGun posted:

Must be the case. I can't recreate it poking around in memory to increase Seifer's various stats (level, number of kills), apologies for my earlier post.

Well, limit unlocks are stored in their own little batch of memory; I want to say it's between character/GF stats and the inventory, but can't be hosed to check my notes from 10 years ago when I was more into these things. Except Squall, who has no overt limit unlocks, and it's literally a dependent calculation based on his currently equipped weapon.

That said, if Seifer did work as you described then raising his level (well, raising his experience - level is also a dependent calculation) would probably be the way to go. The game's remarkably clean about how it stores things, and you don't have both an independent and a dependent variable stored separately in the permanent save-able memory.

Non sequitur, but one of Cool Ghost's previous posts said GFs required 500 experience to level. As a minor nitpick, that's true for most of them, but there are four exceptions: three (the one with the shittiest damage and the two that don't do damage at all) require 400 experience to level, one (the Super Secret Optional One With A Long Animation And Highest Damage) requires 1000 like a character does.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Can you get Malboro cards from someone in Balmb Garden? I've always viewed Bad Breath as kind of a precursor to Doomtrain.

(I'm not sure all of that needs to be spoilered but figured better to be safe.)

Regular (level 1-7) cards are played by card level by NPCs. So if an NPC uses one level 4 card they can use any level 4 card and they're all equally likely. (Exception: that one level 5 card which no NPC will ever ever play. It's literally hard-coded out of their card selection algorithm.)

More generally, any regular cards are equally likely even across levels, though if I recall they'll never double up and use two of the same card. So if you want a specific card you should try to find someone who uses that level of card and as few other levels as possible. One of the better sources of level 5 cards (like Malboro, Behemoth, Elnoyle, Ruby Dragon) is that Trepe groupie in the cafeteria. He only uses level 2 and 5 cards, so about half his hand will be level 5 cards on average.

From various card players around Balamb and Balamb Garden you can win level 1 to 5 cards. There aren't any card players available yet who use level 6 and 7 cards, however you can get a few of them as a rare (1/16) result from using the Card command on a suitable enemy. For instance, Glacial Eyes (which you can meet near the mountains) can give the level 7 Jumbo Cactuar card if you get lucky when carding them.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Not too wrong, I would say. Cards serve two main purposes:

- Near the end of the game they can massively cut down on the grind for some of the rarer things for customizing GF abilities to your liking or permanently raising your stats. (Not, mind you, that you ever have anything remotely approaching a need to do either of these.) Then again, this is the end of the game and a semi-pointless grind, so there's no real problem in having shortcuts in the semi-pointless grind.

- Near the beginning of the game they allow you to get some good stuff earlier than you would otherwise have been able to. In the case of magic though, it's generally not more quickly. Slow as drawing in battle is, it still beats playing a card game, seeing if the card you want is even used, winning the game, taking that card, and refining the card into magic for some (usually 20) of a spell. So if it were something you could draw anyway, it wouldn't be that appealing of a tradeoff. The bigger appeal is doing it with magic that you can't draw (or otherwise obtain the items to refine) yet.

So in many ways the game balance is better if you don't play (well, if you don't refine) cards.

There are a few occasions involving rare cards (e.g. Quistis, Zell, Kiros) where the card game lets you get stuff that's both early and good and quick. Needless to say, this is one of FF8's many avenues for letting you break it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, refinement abilities really aren't that hard to parse, and tend to be fairly consistent on the whole. Not 100% consistent though, there are still some exceptions, but it's still pretty straightforward.

All but two of them end with -RF indicating (perhaps superfluously) that it's a refinement ability. Most of them have either Mag or Med before the -RF, representing whether they make magic or medicine (consumable items, generally of a healing variety). And then before the Mag/Med there's a letter or word indicating what sort of magic or medicine it makes.

My guess on the single-letter ones is that they had to abbreviate Quetz's ability somehow, because neither Thunder Mag-RF nor Lightning Mag-RF would fit. They apparently decided to shorten it to a distinctive first letter; I think I prefer that over Ltng or Thundr or something but that's just me. And then they similarly abbreviated the other basic equivalents (ice, fire, and life) for consistency's sake.

Not sure why they abbreviated "Status" to "ST" for ST Mag-RF and ST Med-RF though. It's not really needed for consistency and there's room enough for the full word (e.g. Forbid Mag-RF).

As for SeeD, I'm curious about the original Japanese: did they use the "English" word SeeD there too, or did they have something in katakana/hiragana/kanji? If the former, I could easily see them doing it that way in the first place (because Japan likes to use English words - often weirdly used from our perspective, e.g. that capital D - as an exotic thing) and then simply stuck with the same thing in the English translation.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Gnoman posted:

The only problem with it being untranslated is that literally nothing else in the game is left that way, making it really out-of-place.

Zantetsuken?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cool Ghost posted:

There's another category, Attitude, that's based on talking to people, jumping off the cliff, and a couple of other things you can do in Dollet. Again, easy to get 100, but if you don't know you're being marked on it, it's easy to screw up, too.

You can also see I got 100 points off (a full SeeD rank!) - that's because I showed that one dude my gunblade and the instructor spotted me. It's cancelled out by the 100 bonus points I got for destroying X-ATM092 on the bridge, though.

Actually, Attitude and Point(s) Deducted are the exact same thing, except it uses one description if you have the window with the X-ATM092's bonus score (shown here), and the other description if you have the window without it. In both cases, higher numbers are better. Which means, yes, Point(s) Deducted is a total loving misnomer and they should have just used Attitude in both cases. I really don't know why they coded an entirely different window at all rather than simply appending the bonus section if you qualified. :iiam:

I'm pretty sure the effect of showing off your gunblade is that you take whatever starting rank the report card says, and when you actually check your rank next time you're in the main menu, it's 1 rank lower. (Which means basically the same thing as what you said, it's just that the game handles it differently.)

Psion posted:

I'd forgotten how they actually did a really good job with Seifer here. There's a lot more subtlety to his character than I remembered.

Another subtle detail, which doesn't come through in SSLP format, is that between Xu's burn on Seifer and Cid getting his attention by addressing him, he's shaking. His polygon model actually quivers slightly. This isn't a graphical artifact, it's meant to subtly express his emotional state there.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Gnoman posted:

ST-ATK-J is really powerful, because the chance of inflicting a status is (Number of spells junctioned)%, meaning that having 100 junctioned always inflicts the status barring resistance, and resistances short of immunity aren't that high.

This is mostly true, but there's a neat little quirk to status infliction that many people aren't aware of. The full formula is basically: 100% defense on target? Skip everything else and don't inflict the status. Otherwise:

Physically-inflicted: Attacker's attack percentage - target's defense percentage + (attacker's Str - target's Vit) / 4
Magically-inflicted: Attacker's attack percentage - target's defense percentage + (attacker's Mag - target's Spr) / 4

Using ST-Atk and smacking something counts as physically inflicted, and uses your listed status attack percentage. Direct-casting the spell counts as magically inflicted and treats status attack percentage as 100%. Enemies work similarly, except they can have statuses as added effects to either physical or magical damage depending on the enemy and the attack.

The upshot here is that if your Str is higher than your target's Vit (or similarly with Mag and Spr), you get a bonus to status infliction rate... but if it's lower, then you get a penalty. The same applies in reverse to when you're the target: if you've got no or partial resistance but relatively high Vit or Spr appropriately, it can boost your odds, but if you've got partial resistance and relatively low Vit or Spr, it can lower your odds.

And the real takeaway from this is that if you care about resisting statuses, it's better to have 100% defense in things you really don't want to get hit with (e.g. Confuse, Berserk), than partial defense in a whole bunch of things. Esuna, Reflect, and Holy on status defense (which give 20-40% to a variety of statuses, but nothing adds up to 100% even with all three) are traps.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cool Ghost posted:

Oh, right, I meant to respond to this earlier. Anyway, my rank is 9 in the menu after the test results, not 8 like it would be if it deducted 1 from the score shown. That's why I thought that points deducted meant points deducted, not renamed Attitude, which is a stupid way for it to be.

Huh, that's odd then. In your replays for GF renaming, did you maybe not show off your gunblade? Or maybe it applies the penalty later, I dunno.

Either way, if you got to show it off without suffering any rank penalty, I guess you got to have your cake and eat it too.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cool Ghost posted:

I'm sure Squall would shake his hand, if his right wasn't full of his drink. It's delicious, Zell, you should try one.

Zell handshake rejection count: 2

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Weavered posted:

I know this is a few updates ago now but I've just started playing along myself and one thing that struck me about the Fire Cavern is how good the music is in this game. I know people have commented on Balamb Garden bgm being good but I think because this game followed FFVII as a whole the music gets a short shift... Apart from the Best Character's Battle Music of course.

Find Your Way (the music played in the Fire Cavern and a few other places, often remote dungeon-like) is really an amazing track.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'll probably make an effortpost about the mechanics of rule manipulation (including the game's lovely random number generator and how to make it work for you instead of against you) when the LP gets to the point of being able to walk back and forth between more than one region of card-playing rules. Which is to say, when we get out of the next new town we'll be visiting.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cool Ghost posted:

Not blowing X-ATM up means this car gets wrecked, so you should feel bad.

Fun fact: the car still manages to get wrecked by X-ATM even if you blow it up before you get to town. There is one and only one difference in town when you later revisit Dollet, and that's whether or not there's a pile of rubble on the beach (there if Quistis blows it up, not there if you blow it up). All the NPCs act like it chased you through town either way.

For a game that's usually pretty good about being consistent based on the handful of forking choices it offers you, it's a little odd that it doesn't handle this one as well.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The plot never again sends you to Dollet. The plot stuff there was already wrapped up: Galbadian army wanted the tower up and running, Dollet agreed to that, army went away.

It's still a perfectly visitable town on the world map, however.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Pretty much, yeah. You don't even switch screens - your party runs inside, X-ATM runs past down the street, your party runs back out, and after that it acts like you'd blown it up so you don't get the escape sequence. Of course, when rankings come around, you don't get the bonus for blowing it up and you do get the penalty for hiding.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cool Ghost posted:

Later on, there's even an option to just move junctions over from one party member to another without having to do any of the other menu work. It's great.

This is actually available from the get-go. It's in the same part of the menu as you use to switch characters in and out of the party, so it's totally understandable that you wouldn't go loving around in there until you get to the point in the plot where you'd be able to do that part, but the junction exchange system is always available. The party member switching is of course grayed out until it's available.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Aithon posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure that if you hit something with a 100% Sleep ST-J physical attack, you'd just wake it up and immediately put it back to sleep, so Quistis's advice isn't that bad.

Along with the 100% ST-Atk, assuming ((your Str) - (its Vit)) / 4 is greater than or equal to its sleep resistance (e.g. a 0-point advantage if it has 0% resist, an 80-point advantage if it has 20% resist), then yes, that would work.

e: T-Rexaurs have 50% sleep resist. You'd need a 200-point advantage to drop that to 0%. Otherwise it might sometimes wake up. Handily, their Vit is thoroughly pathetic (it's like 18 at level 100, and less at lower levels).

Vil fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 22, 2014

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Decus posted:

Yeah, when played like that it's an alright/well-balanced game. I forget, if you let the GF auto-pick what ability they learned every time, how far down the list were the refinement abilities anyway? I'd say their location there would, more than anything, say how they imagined the average person would/should play the game.

TL;DR version:

morallyobjected posted:

I'm pretty sure the default abilities for GFs to learn are dumb things like SumMag+10/20/30%. If you don't set them to the useful stuff, it will take you forever.

Long version:

Somewhat far down. More glaringly dumb is the position of the basic stat junctions in the priority list. For the GFs we've got so far, it goes like this - numbers in parentheses are net AP needed to get there if you let the GF do what it wants.

Quetzalcoatl: (pre-learned: Mag-J, basic commands)
SumMag +10% (40)
SumMag +20% (110)
SumMag +30% (250)
GFHP +10% (290)
GFHP +20% (360)
Boost (370)
T Mag-RF (400)
Mid Mag-RF (460)
HP-J (510)
Mag +20% (570)
Mag +40% (690)
Elem-Atk-J (850)
Vit-J (900)
Elem-Def-J (1000)
Elem-Def-x2 (1130)
Card (1170)
Card Mod (1250)

Shiva: (pre-learned: Spr-J, basic commands)
SumMag +10% (40)
SumMag +20% (110)
SumMag +30% (250)
GFHP +10% (290)
GFHP +20% (360)
Boost (370)
I Mag-RF (400)
Vit-J (450)
Vit +20% (510)
Vit +40% (630)
Spr +20% (690)
Spr +40% (810)
Elem-Def-J (910)
Elem-Def-x2 (1040)
Str-J (1090)
Elem-Atk-J (1250)
Doom (1310)

Ifrit: (pre-learned: Str-J, Elem-Atk-J, basic commands)
SumMag +10% (40)
SumMag +20% (110)
SumMag +30% (250)
GFHP +10% (290)
GFHP +20% (360)
GFHP +30% (500)
Boost (510)
F Mag-RF (540)
Ammo-RF (570)
Str +20% (630)
Str +40% (750)
Str Bonus (850)
HP-J (900)
Elem-Def-J (1000)
Elem-Def-x2 (1130)
Mad Rush (1190)

Siren: (pre-learned: Mag-J, ST-Atk-J, ST-Def-J, basic commands)
GFHP +10% (40)
GFHP +20% (110)
Tool-RF (140)
SumMag +10% (180)
SumMag +20% (250)
SumMag +30% (390)
Boost (400)
L Mag-RF (430)
ST Med-RF (460)
Mag +20% (520)
Mag +40% (640)
Mag Bonus (740)
ST-Def-x2 (870)
Treatment (970)
Move-Find (1010)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Managing the spells isn't actually all that big a pain unless for some inane reason you want to have more than three spell sets. Especially since you'll always get a chance to gently caress around with your junctions between any time your regular party changes (with one noteworthy major exception that is a very very far way off).

In the Switch section of the main menu is an option called Junction Exchange. Pick this, pick two characters (even ones who aren't available to be party members at present, such as Zell and Selphie during the recent training center stuff, or Quistis during the Dollet mission), and boom - their magic stocks, junctioned GFs, what spell is on what stat, current commands and abilities, are all exactly swapped.

Basically you just set up three characters the way you like them and then simply move those setups from character to character as people enter and leave your party. No manually moving magic around between characters (unless you have less than 300 of it and want the spell in question to be in setup X instead of setup Y), no manually reassigning junctions, no figuring out what magic's best for what stat all the time. You get things set up once and then simply update from there.

There are a handful of exceptions related to something we haven't seen yet (but will soon), which can force you to set up your junctions again from scratch, but they're pretty few and far between. I'll talk about that more when we get there.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

255% hit rate doesn't even matter that much in a game where enemies not named Cactuar all have zero or practically zero evasion. The Hit stat literally only ever matters if fighting Cactuars (in which case you're better off using an upcoming character's limit anyway for being multitarget and quick) or if blinded (in which case you cure the blindness or step up your ST-Def game).

I agree though, having characters be mostly blank slates, while it's good for scratching the "everyone can be good at everything" itch, really just makes them carbon copies of each other in many scenarios. I think FF10 handled it best: characters start out specialized, and if you want to go out of your way (or use the expert grid) you can change from their default, but you don't really get into omni-competence until the postgame. At which point it's honestly fine.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Is that the PC/Steam version? The font looks weird.

I wonder if the Judgment calculation might work differently there. I know some things regarding enemy and GF levels are different. And the experience calculation can underflow (think that's the term? - gets so big it wraps around to being a negative number, though at least the game politely applies a minimum of 1 there so you don't lose experience) if you fight a high level high experience enemy at very low levels yourself, while the original PS1 version handles the calculation correctly.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

inverts posted:

Yeah, I'm playing on the PC/Steam version. The font is definitely different from Cool Ghost's screencaps. I think it's less jagged--maybe less pixely? But I didn't even notice until you pointed it out.

Yeah, it's a smoother font, but some of the letters look unusual and - as you can see in your last screenshot - it fucks with vertical alignment for anything where they apparently used spaces instead of tab stops (or whatever) for lists.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cool Ghost posted:

This guy is a pro slacker.

If you ever want to gently caress with card rules, this guy will be one of your very best friends. Playing a game of cards with him will, unannounced, remove every single rule from the Balamb region. Between that and the Queen of Cards, you can set up rule manipulation scenarios (for other regions) really easily, and then conveniently clean up Balamb when you're done.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mikl posted:

Seriously? I played through this game twice, and I was 100% sure you had to actually read the relevant Weapons Monthly before you could upgrade a weapon. You just blew my mind.

Yes, you can absolutely skip the magazines. The upgrade shop logic goes like this:

1. Have everything needed to do the upgrade? (All the item types, respectively enough of each item type, and enough gil.)
- Yes: Display the upgrade, in white, and let the player choose it if they like.
- No: Go to 2.

2. Have read the magazine that shows off the upgrade?
- Yes: Display the upgrade, grayed out, so the player can conveniently see what they still need.
- No: Do not display the upgrade at all.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

curiousCat posted:

I never knew this.

At some point between now and the end of the LP, I'll fork over Vil's Tips And Tricks For Rule Manipulation That Programmers Wish You Never Knew.

You can actually make the whole process very painlessly consistent, compared to annoyingly random or worse, consistently doing something other than what you want it to.

Vil fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 26, 2014

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I like FF8 as well. I do, however, have a hard time defending some of the plot points.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

If you want to buy FFVIII I'm going to suggest that you bookmark the LP and come back to it afterward. Half the fun is just finding all the random stuff they put in (secret GFs, etc) and the other half is figuring out how to break the game.

If anyone does this, I suggest making a habit of checking the draw list of bosses. And if a new target shows up later on (like Elvoret did in the LP), check it too. If there's a GF it'll always be at the bottom of the list, it'll have a(n unfamiliar) name rather than ????, and you can only Stock and not Cast.

There are a good half-dozen GFs or so that you may miss if you don't do this. You do get a second chance at each of those, but only very late in the game.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cool Ghost posted:

: Chill man, it's cool.

Fun fact: if you leave the bar in that window between Julia inviting Laguna up to her room and actually going up there yourself, in other words here:

Cool Ghost posted:

Anyway, let's go get laid.

It is very important that you save before going to talk to Julia.

... then you get to see the effects of Laguna's parking job.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

It's a shame that their isn't much of a modding scene for FF8 or I'd fully expect someone to add the three of them to the party, a long with a few others such as Seifer.

It would take some moderately involved modding to do that, since Laguna's crew doesn't have character-specific data (e.g. experience, permanent stat-ups gained, magic stock, GF compatibility) of their own. The most accurate way to describe it would be like putting a different skin (including base stat lookup tables, and of course weapon and limit) on the normal party members.

Now, Seifer has his own character-specific data, as does another temporary character we'll meet later on, so it's not too big a stretch to add them. But for Laguna's crew, you'd either have to really re-jigger some game design or you'd have to replace someone else. There are also a number of flags for "playing as Laguna" so if you try to half-rear end it the game just sorta shrugs and locks up when you enter a battle with a forced Laguna team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cool Ghost posted:

So, that's what happens if we give the correct password. What happens if we say, uh...

...This thing about moogles? Moogles are much cooler than owls, because they've never fooled anybody by making them think it was nighttime.

There's actually a third scene for the chocobo choice. Each of the three choices has its own scene (though naturally you end up on the train with the Forest Owls either way), so there are two different comic relief scenes.

• Locked thread