Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The bit about Para-magic is vaguely interesting, because you do get human enemies that cast magic at you despite your characters presumably having the only means for humans to cast magic (GFs).

From the description it sounds like it's possible for humans to train to unlock some latent ability to cast magic, but it's never fully explored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ifrit also has alternate text if you land the killing blow with Shiva IcyNips: "Grr. I underestimated IcyNips. Very well, I will join you."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gnoman posted:

Where can you find Laser Cannons on Disc 1? I didn't think anything dropped them until considerably later in the game.

High level Belhelmels drop them at a low chance. It's still very tedious hunting for one.

Elastoids can also start dropping them from level 20 onwards with a 5% drop rate, but they're a bit more limited in availability. The chance doubles after level 30.

Of course, both methods assume you're going to level in Disc 1 to that stage.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gnoman posted:

Aren't Elastoids fought only in the past and after the Lunar Cry?

Yes, there's a past sequence after Timber where they appear.

Back on topic, Quistis being 18 is surprising but not too far out there; there are maybe I think two members of the staff in Garden that look like they're adults. Not counting the faculty stuff since nobody can tell.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Trivia: during Zell's FMV, the SeeD logo is erroneously flipped for no reason.

I also still question whoever it was that thought a guy who never even passed the SeeD exam and with a known attitude problem to be in charge of the disciplinary committee.

It's never mentioned whether or not Fujin and Raijin are SeeDs, actually.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gnoman posted:

I started with a party of veteran adventurers, II with fleeing survivors of a destroyed nation, IV began with you playing as a knight returning from a mission of slaughter and plunder, while VI opened with control of a brainwashed prisoner attacking an innocent town. X-2 was the story of a veteran who somehow survived a kamikaze mission and had to deal with the complications of surviving, and XII started as the tale of a wanna-be rebel who didn't have a clue.

The closest thing the series ever got to the "cliche" accidental hero was III and possibly V (which I don't remember a thing about). I suppose you could make a case for X as well.

I think you mean X-2 started with a concert.

WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Here's the second option to Zell's remark about not jumping off the cliff:

Squall: "...I don't know about that. Perhaps anyone but the Chicken-wuss can make it."

Zell: "WHAT DID YOU SAYYYYY!!!?"

Selphie: "...Hm? Since you're so angry, I guess you're the Chicken-wuss."

Zell: "What the...!!! WHY IS EVERYONE...? I am not a CHICKEN!!!"

Selphie: "Well... If you don't like CHICKEN, how 'bout...a PIG! Oh, but you look more like a CHICKEN, anyway."

Zell: "Chicken, pig, whatever... Call me what you want!!! I don't care anymore!!!"

Squall: "Don't take it so personally, Zell."

Zell: "Tch..."

The funny thing is that Squall isn't even the best in terms of base stats: a future party member easily beats his Str by near 20 points. A few temporary party members also usually have impressive stats compared to the permanent ones.

Well, impressive as far as baseline stats go.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ZevGun posted:

It was some absurd number around that. I did the grind while BSing with people in college between classes and such.

There is literally no other verified information on the internet about this, so you'd need solid proof.

Considering the Elite Soldier starts packing -ga spells at a fairly low level 30 onwards, if this was true someone would have made it widespread by now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
For the Biggs fight, Wedge will show up either after enough time has passed, or you've knocked Biggs down a few pegs.

Biggs gets restored to full life either way.

Elvoret also has a distinct pattern. It goes [Attack or Magic] twice, then Storm Breath, then repeat.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My only personal complaint with L-Mag RF is that half the time I always think the L stands for Lightning. Otherwise I feel it's pretty straightforward.

If you want to argue against abbreviations, it's never explained what SeeD stands for (there are some hints throughout the game, but the full name of the system is never revealed).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Vil posted:

As for SeeD, I'm curious about the original Japanese: did they use the "English" word SeeD there too, or did they have something in katakana/hiragana/kanji? If the former, I could easily see them doing it that way in the first place (because Japan likes to use English words - often weirdly used from our perspective, e.g. that capital D - as an exotic thing) and then simply stuck with the same thing in the English translation.

Wiki says they use シード.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CmdrKing posted:

It's been a while, but my memory is dropping the boss into repair mode a second time in a fight counts as a 'kill' for purposes of generating AP, so you can AP farm the thing, but I think doing so is worth 20 instead of 50. And of course you're completely tanking your SeeD score doing things this way.

You have to take out all its health, let it repair, then run. This grants the bonus without killing it.

Of course, doing so either requires grinding up Quezo or the party a lot.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
^Couldn't hurt to put in GF profile pictures to break up the text a little.

I'm also slightly surprised you didn't play around in Balamb a little to get Zell's card.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Don't be silly, Selphie is living exactly up to her own expectations. I mean she got lost and fell off a cliff all in the same day, but still passed the exam with a pair of oversized nunchaku.

Selphie is the true protagonist.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
T-Rexaurs are really simple to beat with status effects. Junctioning Sleep to Attack works. Blinding them also works very well, as they only know physical attacks.

The Raldos are also the first source of Protect if you don't count X-ATM092.

I really do like Quistis as a character; she doesn't do a lot ultimately (a curse of just about every side character in this game) but there's just something about her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My dream rehaul for FF8 would have each character learn abilities by level-up (so a magically oriented character like Selphie might learn Blizzaga), similar to FF4, and each GF would bestow a base set of abilities when junctioned, and additional unique abilities pertaining to that character/GF combination as they level up. Even possibly have skills unlocked only with a specific set of GFs equippied (like Shiva + Ifrit on Zell). GFs would provide some useful stat boosts, but nothing gamebreaking, and magic would either be less powerful in boosting stats or made more necessary to be used in combat.

Would require heavy system overhauls, but a man can dream. I still like the FF8 system, but I won't deny it's easy to break it if you want to.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A few notes on some mechanics in this update:

Limit Breaks are based off something called a Crisis Level. As the party member gets in more danger (lower health, status effects, allies are KO'd), the Crisis Level goes up, and that affects how strong their Limits are. For instance, Zell's Duel lasts 4 seconds at Crisis level 1, but goes up to 12 seconds at level 4.

What might not be obvious is that the Crisis Level for a Limit is confirmed as soon as you select the Limit. So you can do something like have Zell at really low health, select Duel, then have Selphie do Full-Cure; Zell might then be at full health and pull off a 12 second Duel.

Also, you might notice we won 2 cards off Cid instead of one. That's because of the card win mechanics, which sometimes change. The usual rule is One, which lets you take one card from the loser. Other variants are Diff (shown in the update), which allows you to take the number of cards that equals your advantage at the end of the game. So if you won 6-4, you take two cards. 7-3, you take 4. Any more than that, you take all their cards.

There's also Direct (each player takes whatever cards they control at the end of the game), and All (self-explanatory).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'll admit, I was expecting you to lose Minimog to the Card Queen to kick off her quest.

And what isn't conveyed in the screenshots is that there is a large keening noise in the background right before Squall starts to feel sleepy as well.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Laguna and co. are pretty much the best. Square's proven themselves pretty good at writing bros (also see Jecht/Auron/Braska) so here's hoping FFXV turns out to be good.

Incidentally, Kiros and Ward are the extremes of each side of a class. Kiros is the fastest character in the game, and has magic to rival Selphie's, while Ward, as one might expect, is built like a tank with the HP, Str and Vit to match, even if his Spd is piddly (Kiros pretty much gets two turns to his one).

Not that most of that matters with Junctions, but it's nice that they do have different stat distributions.

quote:

You can actually duck down the door here to fight some enemies. They're also a decent source of Life magic if you want to get some.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 28, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You can't.

The funny thing is being able to win Angelo's card before you get to name Angelo herself.

Also what the game doesn't tell you is that the game unJunctions Zell and Selphie after you wake up, because there's a brief moment where Laguna is alone. Since the game doesn't display characters not in your party then, they just remove Junctions for everyone outside it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I could go more into how I dislike that Rinoa doesn't go through some badly needed character growth (more so than any other character in this game), but I'll probably save that for next disc.

I can't completely dislike her though, because I really dig that outfit design. Sure it's impractical combat wise (a cape and shorts?) but from an aesthetics point of view it flows really well.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cool Ghost posted:

In the entire game. Rinoa has the highest base Strength, Magic, and Spirit of all characters.

Yeah, she literally has 20 Str more than Squall at level 100. Her closest competition is that regard is Ward, who is still 11 points behind. Her only 'poor' statistic is Vit, which is still higher than Quistis and Selphie.

This actually makes her a bit more useful in a No-Junction game.

Oh, Zell.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The_Frag_Man posted:

Can you use Draw and Items without a GF?

No. The only commands available without a GF are Attack and limits. You can still use items outside of battle, however.

I actually did a slight variant of the No Junction game last time I played; I allowed myself to junction GFs and to use support abilities (like Str+20%), but nothing else; no additional commands besides Attack/Limit, no Junctioning magic, no refining. Also prevented escaping, using items outside of magazines and the Magical Lamp. Also no Invincible Moon.

It was actually pretty fun, and less RNG than a regular No Junction game. Selphie in particular becomes very useful when you realize she's your only way to heal status effects, and your only way to heal outside of inns til late Disc 3.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's also possible to screw up GFs with the Amnesia Greens by deleting important or unique abilities; most Refine abilities are unique, for instance, so if you delete Siren's LF Mag-RF you're going to have to get your Curagas the hard way.

Rinoa's battle inexperience also shows up slightly in battle; she recoils a bit from her weapon whenever she attacks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
This update and the next is actually Quistis at her best. She's thinking logically, and explicitly tells Squall on-screen that they do have permission, because she knows that Squall would just stick to the rules otherwise and go, 'We don't have permission to help him, we can't leave our position, wahhh'.

The problem is she's not nearly as proficient at handling hotheads like Seifer.

You can also imagine that Quistis is here alone because of the urgency of the situation - Seifer JUST broke out of the disciplinary room and was about to go take the president hostage, or worse; they probably didn't have time to assemble a proper 3-man squad and just sent someone they believed was trained enough to handle protocol. Quistis being Seifer's instructor probably had them hope she would be able to reason with him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The hockey room guy also plays with Trabia's rules, since he's an exchange student. This is a great opportunity to mangle around with its rules since Trabia has an annoying card rule setup and you have a handy source of Galbadia's rules right there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Amidiri posted:

My Diabolos story is that I didn't realize a GF would be in there, because they never said anything about a GF being in there. So I kept it in my inventory untouched all the way to THE MISSILE BASE, where I only used it because I was very low on HP and had no healing items and thought that maybe it would help. Diabolos then proceeded to murder all my characters and I started again. So, I guess, don't underestimate the stupidity of young people playing video games.

On the other hand, it does say to save your game before using it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wasn't there a scene when you take just the guys? I remember it firing pretty inconsistently in my game.

Speaking of Irvine, he has generally really poor stats. His Str is tied with Selphie for lowest of the six, which, since he's a physical-based character, isn't great (though the Junction system easily makes up for that). His only shining attribute is Spd, which is the best of the six.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 22, 2015

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Buckle in for stupidity, full on!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SonicRulez posted:

Since when does Squall give a poo poo about how other people feel? That was oddly kind of him. This next part of the game...hoo boy. I've never really understood why so many people didn't like FF8. I remember liking it quite a bit when I completed it a couple of years ago, but this segment is stupid. It's just unforgivably and unrelentingly stupid.

Squall does show bursts of affection for his teammates (usually Rinoa or Zell, occasionally Selphie) at times, he just doesn't usually do it out loud. There are in fact one or two times where people tease him about it when he actually exhibits more emotion than people think.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm wondering how Rinoa and Seifer first met; they supposedly dated for a whole summer? I can imagine Rinoa just swiping daddy's credit card for the train tickets out of spite.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

LordAba posted:

Every time I hear "The Man with a Machine Gun" I think "The Man with a Machine Gun Hand" and realize that Barret leading the SeeDs around would be the best thing ever. Bonus points if Barret and FF7 Cid just smacked the stupid out of the group.

With Barret in charge, Selphie's 'blow it to smithereens with a rocket launcher' plan might actually come to fruition.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bregor posted:

This is the best part of the plan. "Well we know she can phase through walls and/or materialize out of nowhere, so let's trap her with some wide metal gates! :buddy:"

Next update will be spectacular. :allears:

To be fair, we only know that our group has been privy to that ability.

And of course, Squall doesn't think it fit to bring up this point, since he's such an obedient soldier. :v:

Really, what makes this plan stand out from the train plan is that at least Squall calls the Owls out on it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6VYabIvxqaYcURyb180bXJWMTg/view?usp=sharing

Just figured I'd host the FFVIII Mod I was recommending somewhere else, that way spoilers can be avoided.

I've talked about the mod on here before and some have said it sounds awful. But the only way I can play FFVIII anymore is with this mod.

And a small sample of another poster's early run through the mod to give you a more clear idea of it:

I'll probably play it at some point, but making an entire game walls-hard isn't entirely appealing either; that's what put me off FF4DS. I'd be fine with having to use strategy and such for bosses, but if random encounters are going to be an absolute slog....

Also, Glacial Eyes could always Petrify, they just didn't pull it out til about levels 20+.

Back to this bit, yeah. Making the entire gateway team run off was really really dumb. I don't like Quistis running off to apologize, but maybe she realized after the dealings with Seifer that you don't just scold someone and leave them to sulk without something going to happen.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 17, 2015

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CmdrKing posted:

Really I wish they'd had some sort of little flashback for their falling out. Hell, if memory serves, Rinoa never in fact discusses what exactly caused her and her father to stop getting along. It'd be a little contrived, but you could even tie together her basic character arc with it.

It comes up pretty late in the game as far as I recall.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kajeesus posted:

Leon is basically a more emotionally mature (read: older) Squall, which I assume goes for Dissidia's Squall as well. I think that's a pretty fair way to make alternate universe versions of the man, and the opposite of what was done to Cloud.

Regarding Dissidia!Squall:

Each character was plucked at a certain point of their timeline. Squall already knows about the final boss, implying he's at late game or post-game status.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The best way I could think of would be to get rid of almost all magic junctions - leave maybe Elem-Atk-J, Elem-Def-J and St-Def-J. Scale random encounters so they're manageable for a party without junctions while allowing you to stock up on magic if need be in dungeons. Make magic damage actually worth something. Boss battles should be designed around hopefully allowing you to make use of their draw list for some fights (for example, having Life for the Minotaurs fight could be handy if they're killing your party constantly, or Esuna for the Gerogero fight). Scale down the effects of refining so you don't have 90 Blizzagas before heading out for Timber.

That prevents you from scaling the party to overpowered proportions without junctions to inflate your HP or Str. Magic becomes a more valuable commodity to use in battle. Limit Breaks are still powerful, but without the huge boosts you get from Junctioning they become more risky to use since you're at actually killable health.

It's a shame because the last boss of Disc 1 would actually be fairly intelligently designed if the Junction system didn't rip it to bits.

I played the game about a year ago locking myself out from most of the game's tools (such as magic Junctions) and it was actually a good challenge. There were some fun bits like Selphie rolling Ultima on Slots in the Brothers fight... just as Minotaur killed her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

Well in the Requiem Mod Magic is actually the best way to deal damage.

But your list of alterations is pretty good. What would you do with the level scaling system, though? The absolute dumbest thing about this game's mechanics was the idea of scaling enemies combined with the Junction System. In a game full of bad decisions, this one really sticks out to me. I have no idea who thought it would be a good idea to use enemy level scaling in the one game where your stats aren't really determined by your level. So any sensible person stays at Level 20 but uses Junctions to give them stats like they're Level 100. And then they utterly obliterate all the Level 20 enemies they fight because the Level 20 Enemies think the party has Level 20 stats.

Make the rewards for fighting higher levelled enemies more worth it. The idea behind the levelling system - enemies remain a challenge no matter your level - is a good one, but ultimately flawed because of Junctioning. If sources of magic were also more limited - especially if you compound magic being more useful in battle and harder to refine - then logically increasing your level to get better magic and items (whether to use or refine) makes more sense. In the meantime, make bosses tougher accordingly as you go up in levels so they remain a decent challenge.

We haven't had many bosses yet, but I'll use Diablos as an example. His draw list only has Demi and Cure at low levels. As your levels and health get higher, gravity damage is more punishing, and his draw list expands to include Curaga to help accomodate that, and Holy so you can hit his weakness. Maybe give him an immunity to Blind at higher levels as well, and higher Speed, so you actually run the risk of getting killed more easily, and remove his Curaga script so you can't abuse that for free healing. In return for the tougher fight, you have a better list of spells to stock up on (especially Holy and Flare) and maybe give more AP and have him join at a higher level, too.

Nihilarian posted:

At the point where you're completely cutting out the junction system, is there any real point to playing FFVIII?

The junction system still exists in the form of support abilities and limited menu command options. It's the stat junctioning system that breaks the game utterly. It's got the skeleton of a solid system, but a lot of chinks to work out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You'd also have to get rid of items teaching GFs abilities (Str+60% for everybody!), as well as modify items so they're actually helpful (while removing some of the more broken ones) while balancing costs since you can just run around for ten minutes to get another SeeD payment.

Oh, and have an actual scaling experience system so it doesn't actually become easier to gain levels.

FFVIII's system needs a lot of work, which is what I'm saying. At least Triple Triad is a good minigame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kal-L posted:

Between this and him not giving Squall the Odine bangle in case they needed it, it seems like he was setting them all up for failure.

Rinoa said herself the Odine bangle wasn't fully tested. Why would you bring in an unknown element to the equation?

Besides, Caraway only returned to the mansion to ensure Rinoa stayed locked in while the SeeDs were presumably preoccupied with the mission (especially since he couldn't do it while Squall and co. were still around, since Rinoa's their client). We don't know where he is now, just not in his house (otherwise he'd have noticed Rinoa slipping out/Quistis and the gang being locked in).

• Locked thread