Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
In retrospect, Zell is a loving amazing character compared to most of the cast. Savor these moments with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

curiousCat posted:

I will write a treatise on Selphie towards the end of the game. She's so wonderful.

Word. Easily the best party member, in terms of personality and character.

That is permanent a permanent memeber, and not a temporary thing. One of the future characters you get to play as is better, IMO.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
When I first played ff8 when it was released, I wondered why they didn't just call it Omnislash again, since it's pretty much the same thing.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I was a dumb and stubborn kid, and manually drew 100 of every spell, three times. And I still managed to break the game with other means.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Every time I see a triple triad screenshot, the musical theme will play in my head.

It is both a blessing and a curse.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The important part about renaming Angelo, is the opportunity to have super juvenile humor with Rinoa's limit break names. :v:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Bring Selphie and Zell. Keep Team Rookie together!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I usually dig setting personal challenges in games, but man, people who do "perfect" JRPG saves have brain problems. :psyduck:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Whew, finally caught up again after not reading the thread for a few months, and :sbahj: at pretty much all the sidecontent in FH. There were entire screens I've never seen there, and I used to replay every PS1 era FF-game multiple times as a kid.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Please leave. :allears:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Everything related to the master fisherman seems super missable, and I'm not surprised in the slightest that I hadn't seen this either.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Patter Song posted:

I'm going through FFVIII for my first time, and it was pretty smooth sailing until I found myself repeatedly losing to Fujin and Raijin in Balamb in the middle of Disc 2. I'm making a fourth attempt and I feel likely to succeed this time, and I haven't been going out of my way to break the game or anything. Should I feel really ashamed of myself for having to go up against a boss in this game four times? I haven't had this many failed attempts at a boss in a Final Fantasy since Garuda in FFIII DS.

I find this kind of adorable. When I was playing the game when it came out, this was the exact fight that roadblocked me so hard, that I ragequit the game for a while, and switched back to FF7.

I'm kind of happy to hear other people having issues with it this day and age. :v:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
For once, I knew of a weird obscure FF8 thing!

I just didn't bother with any of this!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
People always like to complain about the orphanage scene, but this is where the game actually just goes off the rails.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

morallyobjected posted:

I dunno how the final dungeon would have worked out in that case, and the final dungeon in this game is worth every weird time travel plot point

The final dungeon is unironically so good, that I feel like they made that design early, and later provided plot justification for it when writing the game.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Here we go.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
R=U is such a perfect idea that it's stupid how the director shot it down. (edit) Or that it's not official in the first place.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
We've still got some pretty important ending scenes on the way.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Thanks for the LP! I always felt like this game got too much crap thanks to early internet hate (especially after the Spoony vids.) It was refreshing to see it get a fair take, rather than yet another mocking LP.

You also did a great job at showcasing some oddities most players hadn't even heard of.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Hating FF7 got popular at some point, even if it deserved it much less than FF8.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Silegna posted:

Actually, AC Cloud is supposed to be the "True Cloud" according to Nomura, I think.

Nomura is a dork and all of his opinions should be disregarded. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
"Character X is actually dead" is generally just pretty lame, because it's like the lowest form of fan theory. It's basically just rejecting everything about a given story, usually in a fantasy, sci-fi or otherwise supernatural setting. It's an incredibly boring way to look at fiction, imo.

Why would you want to jump through a ton of mental gymnastics just to prove that fictitious events in a fictive story aren't real? Like no poo poo, things in a story aren't real? Who would have thought?

"Well actually all the weird stuff is explained by so-and-so being dead/in a coma/dreaming."

:goonsay:

Attestant fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 6, 2017

• Locked thread