Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, I remember when I used to aggressively defend this game on message boards; at the time, I thought there were a lot of little points in the setting that people missed.

Of course, some 15 years later, I'm a bit more jaded. I don't think I've played FFVIII since FFX came out, and I've read a lot more classic SF and Russian literature since then. I'm very interested in what this LP brings back up.

And yeah, if you're drawing 100 spells in battle, you're totally doing it wrong.

(For some reason, I thought I'd voted on the initial GF names--mainly, I wanted ColdEthyl for Shiva. Quezacotl's probably better off not using my usual name for him: "Chalupa.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Zell was the first-ever instance of that kind of facial tattoo I ever saw. When Mike Tyson got a similar one, I wondered why he was trying so hard for FFVIII cosplay.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Not only that, but 2 starts with war orphans barely escaping a massacre, 4 starts with the hero returning from an unprovoked pillaging of an innocent town, and 6 starts with an enslaved young woman slaughtering people on the way to steal an important archaeological find. 1, 3, and 5 were the only ones for a while that started with the heroes as unambiguously heroic.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

That's what I always liked about it. I was in high school when it came out, and I felt like I could have met any one of these people walking down the hall.

I even had a friend who was all into brooding, like Squall. I once brought the Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec album to our art class to listen to over headphones. I loved its versions of "Don't Be Afraid," "Fisherman's Horizon," and "Man With the Machine Gun"; he'd play "Liberi Fatali" on repeat.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Back in high school and college, my name for Siren was Minmay.

I was a huge dork.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

As I recall, it's Rinoa instead of Selphie who looks back at Squall as he runs toward the beach at the end. And I don't remember Quistis being in the demo at all. Was it a generic SeeD operating the machine gun, or is my memory screwing with me?

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

I know I'm the one who asked about it but wasn't the music really different too? I remember the rumor was that the track was scrapped because it sounded similar to a piece of the soundtrack from The Rock.
It was. Uematsu rewrote "The Landing" from scratch because of that. Which is too bad, because I always kinda preferred the "Rock" version.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Weavered posted:

I vote for the higher level Booyaka, Booyakaga

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

dotchan posted:

Suddenly, I wonder if this game is not about Teenagers Being Bad At Life but a metaphor the production process at Square--everybody's incompetent (but imagine themselves to be amazing auteurs), rife with emotional/family problems, the plans suck, and just plain bad luck all add up to a great big mess. In which case Final Fantasy VIII is secretly Squaresoft staff's cry for help.
Does anybody have a link to that article/blog post/whatever it was that speculated that Kitase, Nomura, and co. locked themselves in a room for a week to brainstorm, not realizing there was a gas leak, and FFVIII was the result?

(I used to defend this game's story so ardently back in the day. I'm part of the problem.)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Much appreciated!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I was a huge anime dork when I first played this, so I always went with Ruby-Ohki.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

FFVIII came out when I was 17, so I was the same age as most of the SeeDs. Believe it or not, this actually helped, as I thought they did a good job writing characters I could imagine bumping into between classes.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

They already named Laguna and Irvine after towns in California, so anything's possible.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

No joke, I once cosplayed as Nida.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I used to use Fishstick.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Make it FISHURURU and I'm in.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

What about the Forest Owls?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

One of VI's definitive scenes has you dress one of your party members up as an opera singer to use as bait for a womanizing airship-piloting gambler, then fight a wisecracking octopus on stage.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

The biggest insight I ever had about FFVIII was realizing that it was a high school manga rendered as an epic secondary-world fantasy RPG. It's the Persona of the Final Fantasy series.

...And now I'm imagining FFVIII with visual novel segments and Social Links Junctions.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

If I were to redesign the Draw system, I'd make it so that instead of drawing "units" of a spell, you're recharging that spell's meter. The entire meter could recharge instantly, so you only have to draw once. Each spell would deplete at a different rate, which keeps it connected with Junctioning (i.e., if you use too much of a junctioned spell, the stat still goes down). Since magic ability still comes from GFs instead of the characters' own power, it'd make sense to leave out Ethers; you'd still have to draw or refine to recharge.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

In my files, he's Mad Yoda.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, I'm changing my vote to Nigel.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

It's weird. I remember a time on the Internet when it seemed like FFVII was the black sheep, since (a) everyone was comparing it to 4 and 6, (b) Square totally betrayed Nintendo to make it, and (c) it's Final Fantasy, not Final Sci-Fi. Then 8 came along, and everyone started comparing it unfavorably to 7. Maybe I was just hanging out at the wrong websites (it was the late 90's/early 00's, and I was a teenager, so that's very likely).

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Best I've ever been able to come up with in my own files was Dorothy. Therefore, I'm voting for

[timpani]bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum[/timpani]

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I have my own ideas for how to revise all this:

1) Only Squall, Selphie, and Irvine were at the orphanage. It doesn't really add anything to anyone else to include them. These three are the only essentials.

2) They were separated a few years later. I don't remember a lot of people I knew when I was 4 or 5, but I can still remember classmates from when I was six or seven. Being unable to remember the latter would be a lot weirder.

3) Irvine spends bits of Disc 1 trying to chat with Squall and going "You really don't remember me, do you?"

Also what FinalGamer said.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I couldn't decide, so I literally flipped a coin.

Iskander

(Though personally, I prefer the spelling "Iskandar.")

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Rudicron posted:

Metroplex.
I know DoomHouse is probably going to win, but I want to change my vote to this.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I'm feeling happy for Zell, so keep him in the party. Let's keep Selphie, too.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Irvine was supposedly named after a town in California, so I'm comfortable pronouncing it Er-vine.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm pretty sure he's an ex-Nazi scientist so people are probably afraid to get near him.
"Gather 'round and I'll sing you of Doctor Odine / A man whose allegiance is ruled by expedience."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

the Wiki says if you kill 25 of them, they stop respawning. they're also very vulnerable to 100 death on status attack junction, so there's that, too.

The latter is how I beat them the first time--I just happened to have it junctioned to Rinoa's attack, and was surprised when she kept making them explode.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Cactuar >> Pringles
Doomtrain >> Suplex Me

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Bahamen

Because he let the dragons out

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

That's true, but Gundam was operating in a subgenre where mecha are for the most part just normal rear end military hardware. Eva was operating in a subgenre where they're rare wonder-weapons that are the unique product of some genius and designed to deal with exceptional threats. It takes that fantastical assumption and puts it in a realistic context (where e.g., suddenly people are concerned about an arms race of these things because they are more or less immune to conventional weapons).
As far as I know, Gundam *invented* that subgenre. If anything, both it and NGE are doing the same thing with the Super Robot genre, just applied in different ways: Gundam by focusing on the brutality of war, and Eva by focusing on the psychologies of its characters.

Eva also brings in some tokusatsu influence: the Evas' time limit is straight from Ultraman.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Don't forget, FF4 had save points.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Zakrelo posted:

How does that even happen? It's Dracula backwards! Did they think that was somehow a coincidence?
It didn't even originate in Japan! It's from a 1943 Lon Chaney, Jr. movie!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I've been having a lot of fun with it, but I'm a sucker for side missions and hunts.

I mostly felt like they put so much effort into building the world and battle system that they never figured out how to fully integrate it with the story. After a while they're quite literally railroading you to the end.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I tend to assume that when SE wants to make an RPG with traditional gameplay, they'll do a Dragon Quest. Final Fantasy, for better or worse, tends to be more experimental.

I certainly wouldn't mind a more scaled back, DQIX-style FFXVI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I always imagined her sounding sort of like Natasha from Rocky and Bullwinkle.

• Locked thread