Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Icynips and HotLips sound like a match made in Heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

General Specific posted:

The only thing I find awkward about the gunblades is the grip being the same as a regular pistol. I can't imagine swinging around the weight of a sword by an off center pistol grip with no counterbalance would work very well.
Seriously. I imagine the blade flying off and bonking someone behind the wielder whenever they swing it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Obligatum VII posted:

I like Zell, he may have ADHD and be a huge goof, but he's just so earnest and cheerful (without being obnoxiously so).
Yeah, unlike some people I could point at coughcoughrinoacough. They're really overplaying how annoying Zell is - when he really can't hold a candle to supposedly sympathetic characters.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Foxhound posted:

I'm really struggling to think of the other competent character, but I think I know who you mean. This cast really is full of morons.

If he's thinking along the same lines I am, it's Irvine, aka the other character the game calls out on being an idiot as opposed to pretending it's heroic or whatever. He and Zell are my favorite characters out of this cast too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
One thing that irks me about this game is the inane naming system. Okay, there's a character limit, but that's not excuse for stuff like L-magic-WTF - what's that even supposed to mean? And what for the love of all that's unholy is a renzekuken? And how does it taste?

Voting for Godiva, by the way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gnoman posted:

As for the other, I don't see how "L-Mag-RF" meaning "Life Magic Refining Ability" is anything but blindingly obvious
Quoting this for posterity. Now, I understand that there is such thing as manuals and explanations and trial and error and the game even provides one, even if it's a pain in the rear end to navigate using the controls provided, but still. Here, take a look: Refine-L. Same character count, you can at least tell it's a crafting skill now and trial/error out the rest. The abiity names in this game are complete and utter gobbledygook.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

I don't think the argument is that it's literally impossible to find out what the ability does, but that L-Mag-RF is a stupid as hell abbreviation and well in line with calling the spider bot XF-88G or whatever instead of DOOM SPIDER or anything, you know, fun.
Yup. I'm not saying it's impossible to use - hell, there's the whole trial and error thing - but that it's a really bad part of the "otherwise suberb" translation. Hell, I can even come up with a reason for the bankbot - All Terrain Mobile or something, but this is IMO inexcusable.
Now, the whole communication on the game's part issue is rather double-edged: it does give you all the infor you need, but it gives it to you at once and using an incredibly annoying encyclopedia system. You figure it out as you're playing, but don't tell me that's a good way to do it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Obtuseness to replace difficulty curve?
Well, the nineties were weird.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Scarcely equipped expendable Dimwits?
I don't think it's an acronyme, just garden/seed.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 13, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The problem is that JRPG plots tend to warp the meaning of "dumb" pretty much by definition.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay,so: Rinoa - worst character or worst character?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
When I played the game, I had the habit of giving the GF horribly unfitting name subject to one rule, starting with the same letter. In the spirit of that, I propose we name our grimdark buddy Dwayne.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

To quote a catchphrase from another thread: it gets worse.

Up to here, FF8 is really fun and well put-together and you can screw around and get awesome really fast, but I can only reiterate what I said before: Dollet is easily the best part of the game up until very late. But I am quite the naysayer, if you hadn't gathered. I would recommend waiting until the thing they go to Timber for is done and then reconsider if you want to give Square money for a lazy port of a decade-old PC game. Because the Timber mission, imho, loving sucks in quite a few ways.

This man is very, very right. Not the next section, but the section after is where the game starts dropping... And keeps dropping for the rest of the game, with an occasional rise that never lasts.
FFVIII is not a good game. Period. If you like the characters and story now, well, that's not gonna last either.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, not pointing fingers, I like a lot of games I don't consider good. Just don't want someone buying this on my conscience.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The thing is they need Laguna's character to grow somewhere, but they set the starting bar so, so low... Echoing sentiments about Laguna&Co being better than our standard party, sadly that's not saying much. Then again, unlike them, he'll get his moments.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

Also Rinoa loving sucks and I hate her but that's another matter entirely.
Yes. The devs did stretch the whole "characters we're supposed to empathise with" a lot in this game, but Rinoa is by far the loving worst. No one in the game comes even close to her level of obnox, uh, ity?
And she's the most important character for the plot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

You could say that about so many other FF characters though. What's wrong with having superfluous characters to pad out a party?
Nothing, but you have a problem when those superfluous characters are better written than the ones the actual plot is about.
Then again, we haven't even started with the abomination this game's plot is.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 31, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Weavered posted:

Please don't try to rationalise the plot beyond this point in the game.
Your head may explode.
As much as it pains me to admit it, there is a point in this mess: these guy suck at the whole guerilla shtick. Squall and Co. just happen to be equally terrible at being a special operations team.
Honestly, a lot of this game would work perfectly well as a parody JRPG.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Adults. They don't understand me. I hate them all.
Squall sure is a great character.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

bradzilla posted:

Almost as if he's an angsty teenager confused about the world. :aaaaa:
Almost as if he's a parody of one. Showing and telling, etc. I realize he needs to grow as a character but that doesn't change the fact that the whole thing is incredibly poorly written.
edit: Also, confused angsty elite paramilitary commando. Try saying that five times fast and see if it makes any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Strong Convections posted:

I'm sure the game has a better, more satisfying explanation for you later on.
Bwahahaha.
Explanations, this game has. Satisfying, not very. Honestly, the best one to go with is that everyone in the world is a complete idiot.

• Locked thread