Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inverts
Jul 6, 2014
I started reading this LP today and I'm so glad. It's been 10 years since I played this game, so I remember nothing about it except that I love Zell and Selphie. And I definitely never knew all the things being discussed here about levels. This has been really great to read so far, both the LP and everyone's commentary. I've got FF8 on Steam now so I might play along with the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inverts
Jul 6, 2014

Cool Ghost posted:

Also, like all limit breaks in this game, it is easily repeated. This is one of the more broken things in the game - if you keep a character in critical HP, you can just churn out limits like crazy and mince everything.

This is how I beat the final boss when I played this game. I forget what limit break I had Squall on, but it would do 9999 damage every time it hit, and so I kept his HP as low as I could get away with so every time his turn came up he would murder the boss.
(I was stupid and didn't realize level grinding wasn't helping me & didn't understand junctioning properly, so this was really the only way I could beat the boss without dying horribly.)

Also, my vote for Siren's name is Wee-ooo.

Oh, also, I did start playing this game, but I'm apparently doing a bad-manners run. Cool Ghost, could I post screencaps for things that go differently in my run? (I didn't offer to show Selphie around, and I'll probably score poorly on the exam.)

inverts
Jul 6, 2014
It always makes me really happy that this thread loves Zell and Selphie so much. I've seen them get a lot of poo poo at times, but they're so great.

I also love Fujin. I sometimes talk a lot and say a lot of stupid poo poo, so I always enjoy how she doesn't waste words when getting her point across. Of course, if you think about how someone would actually voice her lines, well. All caps is usually shouting, but her punctuation isn't exclamation marks. It's true that it doesn't seem like it would work well. (I wound up looking up a Kingdom Hearts video to see how that game's voice actress handled her voice; I feel like she should have been louder and more forceful about it, but to do that and not shout every line would probably be a hard balance to strike.)

Anyway. I'm also glad you went through all that stuff in the study panel, Cool Ghost, cause I definitely got impatient and skipped most of that while playing.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014
Dang, missed the vote, but happily the winning choices were the votes I was going to cast. Awesome.

Some time ago I mentioned doing a bad-manners run and being rude to Selphie, and that I'd post the different dialogue when you meet up with her again in the SeeD exam. Well it turns out... there is no different dialogue. She just skips over the line thanking Squall for helping her earlier. Everything else remains the same. I was hoping she'd be irate with me for being rude to her before, but no such luck.

I also lost a lot of points on my SeeD exam for talking to Zell in a couple places and because the giant robot caught me twice and I had to run away from it. Zell's lines aren't anything special, but I did record the conversations. Since these weren't in the SeeD exam outtakes, figured I would share them.

Cool Ghost posted:

If you choose to talk to anyone here, you get points off.

So obviously I decided to talk to Zell here; here's how it goes.

Zell: Hah!? You talkin' to me!?

Seifer: Heh heh...

Zell: ... Bastard.

Quistis: Okay, enough talk.

After this she picks up with the "We'll be landing pretty soon. Get ready." line and everything proceeds as usual.

Cool Ghost posted:

If you choose to disobey Seifer here, you get points off.

When you choose to disobey Seifer, Squall says "......No." He doesn't bother even looking up.

Seifer's response is "This is an order from your captain, Squall. Now go outside."

To which Squall says "......Ok." and then things proceed as in the LP. It's the most useless little dialogue branch and I kind of love it for how apathetic Squall is both in refusal and acquiescence.

Cool Ghost posted:

I could talk to Zell, but I actually remembered to wait this time.

Zell's line:

Zell: Man... Now this is what I call boring.
Zell: This ain't right, man!

I think it sucks that you get penalized for talking to Zell here, because you really have to wait a while so what else are you gonna do but talk to your teammates? And also Seifer's following dialogue reference's Zell's complaining about how bored he is. It's also neat since Zell is clearly very frustrated with their inactivity, but unlike Seifer, he's very unwilling to act on it, basically until Seifer and Squall force his hand.

As a result of all this (and also apparently bungling the timing on Ifrit, could have sworn I had about 3 seconds left on the clock when I beat him but it would seem not) my score was awful and my SeeD rank, so low.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014

Vil posted:

Is that the PC/Steam version? The font looks weird.

Yeah, I'm playing on the PC/Steam version. The font is definitely different from Cool Ghost's screencaps. I think it's less jagged--maybe less pixely? But I didn't even notice until you pointed it out.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014

John Lee posted:

Cool Ghost posted:

Zell's a lot more open when people can't see him, huh?

Couldn't stop my hands from drawing it.

It's too bad that the predictable Rinoa-hate has come. I like her all right. She's no Zell or Selphie, but she's not bad. Also I agree with Yokaiy that making Squall uncomfortable is a bonus for Rinoa. It's hilarious whenever Squall is thrown off guard.

PS I'm boring and I vote the dog keeps her name.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014

Cool Ghost posted:

When she enters, this starts playing:

This is one of my favourite tracks in this game. Definitely sets the mood.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014
My vote is for Rinoa and Selphie.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014
For the party, I vote Squall, Irvine, Rinoa.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014

CmdrKing posted:

Mmm. Well, the DLC does include Liberi Fatali, which isn't a great stage but a decent enough song. Shuffle or Boogie I like more than i thought. The other DLC are... two songs we haven't heard yet, which I like a lot but may not be for everyone.

I was so mad when I saw that Liberi Fatali was DLC. I feel like it's so iconic of this game it should have been included with the game proper... but, I don't know how much I can complain, since Curtain Call has so much more music than the original.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014
Yeah, I never would have considered that General Caraway probably sent Laguna off. I'm glad this thread points out the connections like this one, otherwise I would constantly miss them all.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014

morallyobjected posted:

with Edea, I figured you were just getting her to her "gently caress off" point where she just didn't want to deal with you anymore

This is how I felt about it too. Reminds me of FF9's Beatrix, too, who I believe has at least 1 battle with you where regardless of whether or not you can deplete all her HP, she'll still win the battle in terms of plot & cutscenes. It's more like you got rid of all her patience instead of her HP. I'm sure this trope shows up in other JRPGs too...

inverts fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 20, 2015

inverts
Jul 6, 2014

Cool Ghost posted:

Warden: What did you say?
: The true...goal of SeeD... To spread...seeds all over the world... Fill...the world w...with flowers.

This is maybe not the winningest lie he could have come up with.

This image would not leave my head until I drew it.
(Yokaiy made me make the flowers gladioli, because apparently that flower means sincerity.)

inverts
Jul 6, 2014

Kilonum posted:

I think I just found my next avatar (if you don't mind, that is)

Now for some text to go with it.

I would be flattered. Please, feel free!
I have no good ideas for text, but I'd second Psion's suggestion about game dialogue.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014

Zell's little hands-over-mouth expression in panel 4 is my favourite thing, ever. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inverts
Jul 6, 2014
I do not understand why Squall doesn't warn every group he encounters about the missiles. There's no guarantee he'll be able to find Cid before the missiles hit, so I'd expect since he's seeing so many people face to face, he might as well let them know too. Better to save a few lives than none. Whether they decide it's more important to maintain the illusion of hiding Cid, or evacuate and save their own lives, the sooner they know and are able to decide that, the better. But instead he only tells Fujin, Raijin, and Kadowaki? And after everyone is giving us all this free poo poo, too? Rude, Squall.

I guess Fujin and Raijin said they'd do their part to warn everybody, too... but even then. As long as we're pausing to get info & items from all these people, it doesn't seem like one "By the way, there are missiles targeting this place, better scram" would be too unreasonable.

• Locked thread