Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

rickiep00h posted:

I certainly don't hate it, and I like the mechanics of the game, despite how much they can break the game. If you don't go into it with the intent of breaking it and play it like a normal person would play it (ie, not going straight out and loading up on Ultimas or whatever), it's an alright, if tedious, system. I always thought it was like Materia without the pretty colors.

I really thought the only unforgivable thing in the whole game was the ridiculousness of the plot. Not the story, but the actual mechanical actions of the plot. One too many Astonishing Coincidences for my liking. And I think it took me four or five restarts to get past disc two. I may play it again one day, I dunno.

I like to think that the game had no plot, considering that the villain's motive was almost nigh-incomprehensible to the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

I believe that the 'gun' part of the gunblade is supposed to vibrate the blade once it was embedded in its enemy, so that the wound would grow bigger as a result. It's why pressing the R1 button deals more damage during combat.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Silegna posted:

It's used to vibrate. Pretty much, all the rounds are blanks, it's the force of firing that makes the gunblade powerful.
(Though, I have to admit, when I first played, I thought the gunblade shot people in the face when the trigger was pulled)

It probably would've been more amusing than just tearing a massive hole in someone.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Drawing magic to full and junctioning it makes the game pretty easy. However, the entire process becomes tedious when you have to repeat it for every spell in the game.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 2, 2014

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Psion posted:

Of course the problem with that is once you figure out what was originally obscured, well, yeah.

Such as Lionheart in disc one?

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

I do seem to recall one of the NPCs you can talk to before getting on the ship specifically notes that your squad is the "Problem Team." I suppose it makes sense it was a test for everyone involved since Seifer's, Squall's and Zell's personalities all clash so heavily.

+ + = Problem Dream Team

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Psion posted:

Speaking of Dollet, though, it does bring up one of the nicer parts of 8: the setting. It's actually a pretty cool mix of swords, magic, and tech. Or at least, Dollet is.

What sub-genre does the setting fall into anyways? It's kind of...everywhere.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Voting for Nom-Nom, since she's a Siren.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Huh. That's never happened with my copy of the game. Lucky me?

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

I'm sure SeeD expects their students to uphold the line of duty and trash everything in sight.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

SHIN HADOKEN RENZOKUKAN!

Alright, I'm done for the day.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Ignore levels and junction/transmute spells is what I've gathered.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Come to think of it, how does the Junction system work from a physical standpoint anyways? Do the spells turn into materia and hang off of the body like Christmas ornaments, or is it something else?

And Satan knows how the hell Magic: The Gathering cards transmute into massively powerful spells that can be potentially wielded by a Girl Scouts company over in the next neighborhood.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

MagusofStars posted:

That's only true if you believe the FILTHY LIES spouted by anti-Garden propaganda rather than trusting your Friendly Garden Faculty. Don't listen to any of that rubbish criticism; ignore whatever you hear from other Gardens or military forces! :commissar:

So...Balamb is America and the rest of the world is North Korea?

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

The ability systems in FF7 and FF8 are best regarded as failed experiments. It's good that they tried out new things, but those particular approaches didn't pan out, and it's not clear that there's any simple way to fix them. Now we have a better idea of what not to do.

Yeah, and this is why ATB systems don't exist in real life.

In all seriousness though, VIII's battle system was pretty bad if you didn't know what to do. And VII...well, I don't really remember VII in all honesty. Can anyone bring me up to speed?

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

I think we should call Diablos Robin in honor of the recently departed lamp-dweller we all knew and loved.

This. Also, library girl should be named Steve.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

I liked FFVIII. Even if it started sucking 3/8ths of the way in, the battle system was fun to break. It's sort of like Wild ARMs 4 in the sense that if you ignore the characters and story, you'll be fine.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Clearly they should have replaced Squall with Laguna, since Laguna is a bro like that. Besides, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants a Laguna-Zell-Selphie/Irvine team around here.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Wizard of Smart posted:

I don't really like Laguna and co that much. V:shobon:V

You...You heretic! How could you desecrate the holy visage of Laguna Loire: HERO OF THE IMPERIUM GALBADIAN EMPIRE!

In all honesty though, Laguna feels like a love/hate character. Considering that he acts like a psychopathic manchild half of the time, I can understand why you might not like him. Especially since he's a foil to Squall, in which I'm assuming that you're supposed to like one or the other.

But Zell's the best character anyway, so screw them.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

We should name the dog Tasty.

Simply Simon posted:

Also Rinoa loving sucks and I hate her but that's another matter entirely.

From the moment Rinoa appeared onscreen, the game started sucking. Her plan sucks and she only made the endgame ten times worse.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Clearly Laguna should've replaced Rinoa, because a Zell-Laguna team would work so well together.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

You know, if we did as Selphie suggested, and blew up the train, we could've avoided the next boss/segment altogether.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

:argh: Dammit Cid, you lazy bastard. This was the worst operation you could've sent SeeD to cover. We could've gone to a bar, get drunk, and completely avoided the events to follow.

If there's one thing I'll give the Timber Owls, it's that they have enthusiasm for the job. Let's take Squall, Rinoa, and Zell.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

mauman posted:

Selphie is supposed to be a trained professional soldier. She's seen a war and killed people. The fact that she does that kinda bothers me. It's like the game developer's went "She's a woman, she must be scared/emotional, but the men will take it in stride".

In all honesty, I'd like to think that she has a sort of sugar-high ADHD. It would explain where she gets all those limit-break spells, anyway.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 3, 2015

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

That assumes that people have heard of Rinoa, which is not clear.

Zell still screwed up here, since he linked the terrorist incidents back to SeeD.

One of his brighter moments it ain't.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 18, 2015

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

FeyerbrandX posted:

As much as I hate Zell too, the other idiots aren't that much better right now.

"poo poo, he broke our secrecy."

"Wait, they broke the camera earlier."

"Dead men tell no tales."

*MURDER EVERYONE IN THE BUILDING*

They're a team of ragtag sociopaths, which is what makes them awesome.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 18, 2015

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Quistis and Selphie, because Zell needs a time out and Quistis is a vaguely logical person.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Psion posted:

There's very little laziness in 8's writing - a lot of absurdity and some massive bullshit, but they committed to that bullshit.

Horrendously convoluted villain motivation.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

The Selphie Solution: Blow everything up.

You need someone to watch the house? You need to save the princess? You need to cook a meal for your family?

All you need is a sack of dynamite and you're good to go. :)

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 16, 2015

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Welp, I couldn't resist.

SeeD: Intelligent as a sack of mentally-incapacitated Wampa dung.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Or bigger sack, if you prefer.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

First time around, I remember bringing along Zell and Rinoa in the Garden Party. Irvine and Quistis were in the Base party because Irvine needed time out and Quistis was just there.

And then Laguna out of nowhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Donatello, because Donatello was the worst ninja turtle. Turtles are close enough to Tonberries, right?

• Locked thread