Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's not the only hilariously potent thing you can refine at this point either. I feel like a lot of FF8's 'difficulty' is difficulty through obscurity - if you didn't know any better you'd draw 100 of everything, for example, and that's terrible.

Of course the problem with that is once you figure out what was originally obscured, well, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

For anyone who hasn't played this game, all the stuff people are discussing in their CIA documents is how to well and thoroughly obliterate the difficulty in this game from basically hour two. Rest assured, though, there are much simpler ways which give you most of the return with much less effort. Cool Ghost is already showing some of those off.

also most of them are pointless except in terms of "I can, therefore I want to do this," which is perfectly fine. But if an enemy only has 800 hp, being able to deal 801 kills it just as quickly as dealing 9999.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SeeD has designed a test specifically to hate on Selphie. That's cold.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Vil posted:

All playable characters

I'm thinking by "second limit" the poster meant "second finishing move," which does exist. That said, everything I read indicates it's impossible.

But let's be fair here - anyone who grinds on those screens for 15 hours is bound to start hallucinating. I mean, drat :stare:

e: CIA document time

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 10, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

First-time players of this game are likely drawing every possible chance they get, so it's not really a secret. This one happens early enough that you at least learn "I should always try to draw from a boss" and that carries you the rest of the game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Weavered you might want to edit that out, even in tags that's kind of a bombshell when we're not even out of Dollet.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Speaking of Dollet, though, it does bring up one of the nicer parts of 8: the setting. It's actually a pretty cool mix of swords, magic, and tech. Or at least, Dollet is.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'd forgotten how they actually did a really good job with Seifer here. There's a lot more subtlety to his character than I remembered.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Personally I think the game did you a favor. My opinion is the first two discs of this game are alright, with disc 1 being very good in fact, but 3 and especially 4 are crap. Overall I still like 8, but yeah ... it gets weird.

I am interested in seeing how Cool Ghost does it though because there's already good stuff I'd forgotten about here, maybe there's good stuff on those later discs I've forgotten about too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Silegna posted:

How broken can you make this game? I just one shot Ifrit, at level 7.

yeah, now imagine doing that to the final boss at level 8.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

the first time I played this game I thought summons were cool, had no idea you could reorder the way they learned abilities, avoided the card game, had no idea Card could let you refine stuff into high tier magic, did a lot of drawing ... basically if you don't think about the system beyond the tutorials provided, you're playing it "as intended" but as we have all seen, there's nothing stopping you from turning yourself into a powerhouse from minute five.

Junctions and the way they work could be cool, but if the developers wanted it to be balanced ... I don't even know. Level gating some stuff, I guess? But then that just rewards early grind for xp instead of early grind for Curagas.

I dunno, I'm not sure any system like Junction could be "saved" per se without making it incredibly frustrating once you DID know how it worked.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Alkarl posted:

Also I think something that pretty much everyone can agree on (and that has had attention called to it) is that this game is beautifully animated. There's so many animations and little character tics that it's just great to watch in motion.

I actually just learned about another one that won't have a payoff for two more discs, so I sure hope I remember it in six months or two years or whenever! It's kind of amazing in what it does to explain character motivations when you take it in context. I completely missed it every time I actually played 8.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ArchWizard posted:

For a while Cool Ghost was impressing me with the detail put into the game. Now I'm starting to think they were just loving around and wasting time.

Never work smarter when you can just work harder!
-ff8 developers, 1999

also the amount of e-rage some of you are displaying about Rinoa is weird, guys, just so you know. Give Cool Ghost some time. Look at all the changed opinions we've had already :v:

Waffleman_ posted:

Holy poo poo this game had an ASCII GameFAQs map pre-GameFAQs.

GameFAQs was founded in 1995. It's hilariously ancient.

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 31, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Say what you will about how that plan was terrible (it was) but Rinoa commits with those fuckin' jumps. I forgot about that part. At least they have enthusiasm, and whoever was driving the train did that poo poo right too. If only the Timber Owls were a freight-hauling and shipping company.

On the other hand, Zone's gimmick is already stupid and we've seen it, uh, twice? Worst resistance fighter ever.

e: oh last thing, remember this is all Cid's fault. What a contract. :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 2, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Silver Falcon posted:

Squall is a JRPG protagonist; therefore he should get allllll the ladies.

Remember this post in a few updates :laugh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

They're nowhere near as competent as 50 and his crew at murdering everything, but they share the same general lack of respect for other people's autonomy (Dollet, Timber) and authority (Laguna's excellent parking) ... so, maybe?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kacie posted:

I believe this is what the writers going for, with how hard they've worked to have Seifer and Squall be yin/yang. However, I don't feel like it fits with the other things we know about Seifer. I can believe she found his weakness, but what I can't fully believe is that she isn't working magic on him. It's been a while since I played, and I didn't finish the game, but from what we've seen, Seifer isn't dumb. He's a pretty smart guy, in fact. Later scenes - at least to me - feel like either he's heavily magicked, or he is really choosing to be a boy by not questioning/learning, or he's not as smart as he originally appeared.

I really want to come back to this very point, because - well, we've already seen how 8 spares no expense on character animation right? How body language and the like is used heavily? Some of Seifer's is relevant right here. It's really hard to make the connection but once you see it, it's the fedex arrow.

So yeah, six months from now, remember this :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

tentacles posted:

It's pretty telling that Quistis doesn't call Squall out on his abysmally low EQ here... You have to wonder if it's down to professionalism in deferring to the field leader, lack of fucks given as a lovely leader herself, or whether skidding off her seat every time he farts makes her less than objective

all of the above and/or she enjoyed watching Squall get taken to task by Rinoa. There's very little laziness in 8's writing - a lot of absurdity and some massive bullshit, but they committed to that bullshit. That's not laziness, just ... an interesting form of decisionmaking.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Way to drop a burn on Quistis there, Irvine.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Thankfully, mechanics in this game are so easily smashed you can take whoever you like and not suffer for it.

That's both good and bad, I suppose, but in a game where limit breaks are the only mechanical difference between characters worth mentioning, it's nice to be able to choose on a "who I like most / dislike the least" basis.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Effectronica posted:

Not to be too coy, but there's an explanation for this scene that makes it much more interesting in retrospect. Shame you're likely to forget it by the time you get there.

ff8.txt

I know what you mean but it's funny how this very post applies to so very much of this game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Extra Tasty posted:

This game loves being subtle. Sometimes it's really awesome and sometimes it's ridiculous. Quistis' behavior in this sequence is probably a good example of it being not so good. The player has to rationalize it for themselves and infer a lot, and when you don't really get into anyone's head besides Squall's that can be pretty hard to do.

I agree. The problem is you can come up with a theory about events and at the end of your explanation, you're never sure if the other person will think "wow, that was subtle, nice catch" or "you're a total crackpot." It loves being subtle a little too much.

FF8.txt

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cool Ghost posted:

So, this is the "romantic dream" Seifer mentioned during the SeeD exam. But, you may remember this from way back before the Fire Cavern:

haha wow, I didn't remember the game outright says it here.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hyord posted:

I always found it a pretty good way to explain the way the game's plot gets absolutely batshit after Disc 1.

It's entertaining, but it's wholly incorrect. I think it's best taken as a light-hearted kind of joke analysis - you go over the top in over-analyzing ff8, come up with it, everyone has a good laugh, and then you step back and realize "well it's not true but what the hell, that was fun."

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I've been wanting to post about that since forever. Glad everyone is seeing it though!

well, everyone who's played the game before. Sorry, first time players, we're all realizing 8's a little more subtle than we gave it credit for :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 1, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

rickiep00h posted:

From what I'm gathering, it's very spoilery, and as such in content with people not explaining until it comes up. I'm sure CG will mention it when the time comes.

Edit: I can't for the life of me remember either. It's okay, man. We'll get there together.

Correct. It's not going to pay off for quite some time (when I planned to post about it) but even I didn't know the game gave you all the pieces in disc 1 and I knew what we were talking about. Hyord, I'd PM you the answer but you don't have them. so uh, if you go the FF wiki and look at Seifer's article you'll see it in the second paragraph under "Story."

that entire article is huge-rear end spoilers from sentence one, so anyone who wants to avoid them shouldn't :)

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 2, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kacie posted:

That Squall manages to talk him into trying anyways - that was a great moment for both of them. (And to Irvine's credit, that shot was dead-on.) Really felt that Squall, Rinoa, and Irvine did start to gel as a real team, as Cool Ghost said.

JordanStiva posted:

Thoroughly enjoying this LP so far since, for better or worse, this is one of my favourite games. A thing I like about the mission gone wrong is that Squall's back-up plan is to leap off a building, smash a car into metal gates and face Seifer and an honest-to-god Sorceress by himself. Dude has balls, you've got to give him that.

Just want to say, both of these are good posts and good points. This part really is that good. Not even the Obligatory Sewer Level can ruin that. We've all seen how really weird it is that Squall, captain of being bad at teams is assigned as a squad leader, that these newbie SeeDs get assigned to a weird contract with the Forest Owls, that Galbadia Garden's headmaster assigns a ... questionable sharpshooter, all of that.

But we're also seeing Squall starting to show he's perhaps a little more than everyone bargained for.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 2, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Weavered posted:

I've always seen it as flavour text. A soldier getting jealous/ annoyed at another soldiers unprofessionalism. I mean imagine an SAS commando running on stage in a hotel bar, getting cramp and then wandering off. It'd be crazy if people didn't comment.

It's also possible red soldier exists to demonstrate that Julia is popular with the army (explaining, possibly, why Caraway knew about her) and Laguna's a total scrub, both of which are true. Since red soldier did not ask Laguna to go into a pointless dungeon and return with a plot token before talking to Julia, I'd say he's clearly not associated with Caraway. :v:

I don't think the story changes in any major degree either way. And from what we're all learning, if Caraway did plot to get rid of Laguna, FF8 will tell us ... in three discs. So let's all come back to this question in six months.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ApplesandOranges posted:

One funny difference between Steiner and Beatrix

Programming bugs are weird. I never ran into that issue since I didn't care for Steiner's moveset in ff9 so I tended to use other people. It's not that he's A Bad Character, just that he only really worked for me when I had Steiner and Vivi in the party and that got a little too limiting in a 4-character party so out he went.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 20, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I wonder if that was changed intentionally? I could see an argument going either way for it - but who even knows.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kilonum posted:

Now for some text to go with it.

Just pick one of the many, many weird lines of dialogue this game has and/or NOBODY TALKS ABOUT MY FLOWERS IN THE PAST TENSE

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'm gonna take pity on the people who are still looking to figure it out and don't want to post:

what is that character's name
what are they doing

no really ask yourself that before you mouseover:
Selphie taking a selfie

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 21, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's a completely plausible explanation, too. It's not like Team Garden Master NORG is very, uh, competent. At all.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I always took the eyes on the missile as a magic-tech hybrid version of terrain following missile guidance. Cruise missiles (e.g. Tomahawk) could/do use terrain-contour matching to find their way. That is, they had a map stored of the terrain that they should see on their flight plan and a camera which let the missile 'see' where it was compared to its info, and adjust course accordingly. It would be used in combination with GPS or inertial guidance or what have you.

That's why I always figured those Galbadian missiles have sort of a weirdo magic/tech version of the same thing that ends up being an eyeball actually looking out at the ground. A more literal version of TERCOM "seeing" the ground beneath it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Weavered posted:

as if nothing had ever happened.

Arguably you're giving it too little credit. This in particular is untrue, but we'll get there.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

call it Magikarp, because bad jokes

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Two Finger posted:

___________________ kinda gets explained a bit later on, not really directly but by inference

I've now modified your quote to be ff8.txt

On the other hand, things do get explained, eventually.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cool Ghost posted:

I wonder if part of the reason this game gets so much flack is because a lot of the explanations are hidden away in NPC dialogue or only implied instead of being explicit.

I think so, definitely.

It has some merit - there are some important things ff8 really should do a better job of putting front and center for the player and it fails to do so.

That isn't to say the subtle/indirect approach is always wrong, it's not. It brings a lot to the table, especially with how they clearly put a lot of effort into making sure NPC dialogue mattered, how the characters emoting mattered, and how all of that was consistent with the world and characters they were creating. But it's not always right, either :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 31, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Mega64 posted:

squallhumor.txt

oh I forgot I wanted to post about that. It's Squall's finest line. That whole bit is made for that one choice, if you ask me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

FoolyCharged posted:

.....Whatever

It's just four periods, right? Not five? Close, but I'm only giving you a 37/40 on this post. :v:

• Locked thread