Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

sailor moon X silent hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Busket Posket posted:

Ick at flying bitey ants. We also get “love bugs”, so named because they mate and stay stuck together until they die, 2-3 days later. They don’t bite, but they do swarm over buildings, cars, and people, and their guts eat away at paint. Local car washes will offer special heated bug gut cleaner when it’s love bug season.

Also they're sexually attracted to the smell of hot asphalt and weren't described scientifically until the 40s somehow. Very weird things. I guess they were introduced, but from where?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Nah, not introduced, per se. They're native to the Gulf Coast, but they've been expanding their range from everybody mowing nowadays. (their larvae live in grass clippings)

Ahh, I see. Makes sense. I'd always just assumed they were introduced because of their rapid expansion since the 50s, but yeah I guess mowing, especially along highways and such would explain it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

RoboRodent posted:

I highly recommend scooping up orb weavers in your bare hands to relocate them for a crowd who scream about how it's going to bite you. I also highly recommend relocating bees by hand (unless you're allergic, I guess).

Never been bitten by a spider, because spiders generally respond to being picked up by trying to bungee jump away. Never been stung by a bee, honey or bumble, because they are gentle creatures, and my stepsister's boyfriend thinks I'm some sort of bee-taming witch because I picked up a bumblebee in my hand to take outside.

Wasps, though, gently caress them. You can't trust them.

Agree on all.

I always relocate spiders outside anyway, because they're good and cool and I have regular pest control and so it's not good for them to be inside my house.

And gently caress wasps. Malice incarnate.

Also, kinda gently caress carpenter bees, because even though they're basically harmless, they will gently caress up any untreated wood things you've built and also the males can be super aggressive, even if they can't back their poo poo up with action.

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Jun 14, 2019

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ariong posted:

Wasps vary wildly in aggression. Around where I live we mostly have Dirt Daubers (I don’t know the proper name) which are about as docile as anything. They’re pretty cool. The only bad thing about them is that their nests are made of dried mud instead of clay, so once their gone it can be a little tough to get rid of the abandoned nest.

We also have a few Yellowjackets, which are the exact opposite and will happily sting you if you don’t give them a wide berth. I don’t hate them, though. They’re just doing what Mother Nature told them to do.

My experience with Yellowjackets is the opposite. They mind their own business almost as much as daubers, but red wasps... Man, gently caress red wasps. Evil things.