Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

simplefish posted:

Also why are Claire and Frank on Lewis' flag? And who are ND and AD? And what is Post Nine?

Marshal post 9, the flag isn't his, he was offered it by a presumably British marshal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Diet Crack posted:

I just hope that the big 4-5 constructors are a bit more competitive next year, now that everyone knows the Renault engines are shithouse and have had a full season with the 1.6 V6 Turbos. Also less dicknose.

Double points are also confirmed gone yes?

Not confirmed but I think everyone's assuming. Did it end up making a difference to any position?

EDIT : Why don't I check, I think the answer is no, although Magnussen requires a tiebreak to beat Kimi whereas before he'd be a point clear.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'd rather we don't GP2 or 3 in here but instead use the Misc thread because I usually can't watch them until after the f1.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Tsaedje posted:

The McLaren at testing is a modified version of this year's car, they're not going to tip their hand early on any aero stuff.

And it'd be a bad idea to anyway, to provide meaningful comparison data it needs to be as close to the 2014 car as possible anyway.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

1500quidporsche posted:

Sky sports is reporting that the all conquering McLaren Honda has completed an eye watering 2 laps today.

Renault were doing that in March and still won 3 races, 2 laps in a test hack in November isn't good but it doesn't mean a lot.

1500quidporsche posted:

They also completed 11 laps in the first two days of testing.

Those 2 days were months later though.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

NtotheTC posted:

Everything else he either got beaten, or Hamilton had reliability problems, or he got lucky (Monaco). It really was the reliability difference (Abu Dhabi bought them even on race reliability, but Lewis still had 2x qualifying car failures that put him way down the grid) that made the season close.

No it didn't. Lewis had two race ending mechanical issues, nico had three.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

pik_d posted:

No? Lewis retired three times due to issues with his car, it just so happened that one of those times the issues were caused by being run into by Nico.

Nico also only retired twice, though I supposed finishing in 14th might as well be considered "race ending", even if it technically isn't.

It was race ending even if he didn't actually retire. And remember the team wanted him to park.

But being in an accident is not reliability.

The Lewis had worse reliability myth is bewildering at best. If you believe that he should have got his car to the finish in Canada as Nico did with the same issue they both had three failures. And Lewis was arguably lucky his occurred at a point he could still, brilliantly in both cases, save the weekend.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 26, 2014

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

NtotheTC posted:

I don't get this... his car stopped in Australia, his brakes failed in Canada, and Nico side-swiped him in Belgium. So that's three retirements to match the 3 that Rosberg had in the season. Then on top of that Hamilton had the two qualifying issues. I don't think it's unfair to say that Lewis had the worse luck this year.

I've no idea why you're giving credit to Rosberg for Canada or Belgium. It's not as if he knew what he was doing either time.

NtotheTC posted:

It really was the reliability difference (Abu Dhabi bought them even on race reliability, but Lewis still had 2x qualifying car failures that put him way down the grid)

You said reliability. Getting hit by someone regardless of fault isn't reliability.

And they both had the same issue in Canada, just Lewis couldn't stop driving like an idiot.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Looks like the Hulk might have landed a seat in the 3rd Porsche at LeMans.

Multi-discipline F1 drivers are back. This is excellent.

https://twitter.com/NicoHulkenberg

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

AgentJotun posted:

300kmh+ apex speeds, not bad.

HeikkiBahrain.jpg

(Which irritatingly I can't find, anyone got?)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That's the chap.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's not exactly like it worked out for TTE in F1.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

On the bright side, if Bernie gets his way, every race will have 6 cars soon enough.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

be nice wicka posted:

it's been reported uh loving everywhere that mclaren has a board meeting thursday where the driver choice will be decided

Will they also decide on their title sponsor for 2014?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And that 21 year old doesn't have the experience of a 25 year old either.

These days, kids have been racing since they were 5. That 16 year old has the experience of a 25 year old joining the grid 20 years ago.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Mimetic posted:

Radio rule got loosened for 2014 because some teams had steering wheels that couldn't show as much telemetry, so it'd give an advantage to the teams that had bigger screens. This year expect all the teams to be running wheels with the big Merc/Ferrari type screens.

The lapped cars one is a good thing. Instead of having to make it all the way around to the end of the pack behind the safety car (which is part of why safety cars take so long), they can just get some distance up the track ahead. So hopefully they won't be in the way at the restart, and then everyone can just pass them.

So at that point, why not leave them the gently caress where they are.

Hopefully the VSC will mean many fewer safety car periods though.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

nsaP posted:

Because instead of position fights at the restart we'd have Lewis having a daring pass on Chilton to chase down Rosberg in front.

Yes? Rosberg already had to pass him, why should Lewis get a free ride?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Tsaedje posted:

It's just so utterly unimportant that I can't comprehend the mindset where you have an online slapfight about it.
I personally agree with the guy who thinks there should be a flag, but if I was in his shoes I'd just roll my eyes at the first revert and go do something actually interesting.

This but there shouldn't be one ;)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Uncle Jam posted:

Ickx pretty much said he didn't want to win. Plus he was fried toasty in the first race and sucked poo poo for a while. And the 3rd place man didn't even start in most of the race. 1970 worst WDC.

Pretty much, a 13 race season was won with the equivalent of 5 race wins worth of points. Rindt only ran 9 races, Ickx only actually scored 6 times, Regazzoni only ran 8/13 to finish 3rd even Danny Hulme in 4th missed 2 and the only other person you'd peg as a title contender Jackie Stewart managed to retire 8 times, including 3 in a row when Tyrrell introduced their first attempt at building a car.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Certainly don't mount it high in the rack.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

DickEmery posted:

BT will own them by Silverstone

Which is weird since they were the ones who sold o2 to Telefonica in the first place (via a spin off)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

be nice wicka posted:

last night i was wondering what the completely random argentine USF1 signed, jose maria lopez, had been up to since his F1 dream fell apart. he's the reigning WTCC champion. i had no idea that series was so bad.

To be fair, he had two really good teammates.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

You Am I posted:

shows that you don't need a personality to win that award

Former Winners : Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill, Andy loving Murray.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Organising a work karting thing and got an email calling me Mr Schumacher.

That worries me, I thought they were implying I have the driving skills of a semi concious vegetable. And then I realised they might mean Michael.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

JFairfax posted:

The Worst Thread UK Karting Goon Meet 2013 was a lot of fun

Yes, this also needs to happen again.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

You always just have to dig for the real point with Bernard.

quote:

The 84-year-old would look to introduce the changes for 2016, but added that the proposals could go away if the engine suppliers agree to reduce costs.

Bingo. He's bullying them into cheaper supply contracts.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

autism chariot posted:

Which would actually be good for the sport. I don't get it this is Bernie. He sups with Satan, why is he doing something apparently good?

It'll cost him a lot more to shore up 20 cars and probably something to ensure 3 car teams (or he recognises it'll leave the sport very vulnerable).

He's not doing something good as such, he's looking for someone else (the engine manufacturers) to pay a bill he might otherwise have to.

simplefish posted:

I thought we liked Hartstein?

Oh he owns, but he's also a bit mental.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

RALF posted:

My pronouns are Senna/Sennii/Sennaself

Don't pronoun suffix shame.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

Using the same chassis for 5 years worked for Osella.

Although the downside of constantly iterating on the Osella FA1 (FA1B, FA1C etc) is that for part of 1988 the literally ran a car called the "FA1L".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

But they could easily be really bad as part of an 18 car grid so you'd hope they could scrape a top 10 somewhere.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Wirth1000 posted:

It was posted a while ago. The consensus was that Hartstein is a bit nutty and the FIA is a lot nutty.

Pretty much.

Difference is Hartstein knows what the gently caress he's talking about.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

be nice wicka posted:

which is almost certainly a rule created after suzuka was built. what are they going to do, build a new hospital?

Yes. Or not run a race there.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Brainwrong posted:

But if the new kids are good, who is going to be the useless comedy driver to laugh at?

Webber has retired and Kimi is probably in his last year, so who will we laugh at when he's retired? We need a new breed of lovely driver. Not talented kids.

The answer to this question, as so many others, is Pastor.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Didn't Lauda say the same a decade ago and then got it one and poo poo the bed entirely?

EDIT : Yes he did, said an idiot could drive them in 2002 and then spun twice in 3 laps when he tried.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Career over for a little coke?

Well he'll get a 4 year ban, how many people are going to want to hire a 39 year old that's been out of cars for 4 years?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

True but their UK market share is about 2%. (Suzuki is about 1.5% fwiw). That's lower than Kia, Skoda, Hyundai, Mini, Peugeot, Fiat, Citroen, Nissan, Renault, SEAT...

Dudley fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 5, 2015

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's not an answer but MG's market share is 0.09%.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That's harsh, the sponge pic wasn't that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah it's more a "Brand" share than a "Manufacturer" share.

Needless to say, VW themselves are well, well ahead.

• Locked thread