Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ukle
Nov 28, 2005
We are #blessed with a great Racing series that is running though while F1 is away for these 4 months -

Formula E!!!!

Only 3 Races while F1 is away though -

13 December 2014 - Uruguay
10 January 2015 - Argentina* (Assuming the country isn't in civil war by then)
14 March 2015 - Miami (Day before the first F1 race)

If you haven't watched the previous races, then thankfully they are on Youtube.

Previous rounds -

Beijing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfRtRpmRXb4

Malaysia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gqTs4tU_Sw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

krushgroove posted:

This puts us at 19 goons and only 18 drivers at the moment (that's counting McLaren), so at some point we'll have to figure out how to split up the team bios and the driver bios.

If you throwing Team Bio's into the mix add my name to the list, just so I can hope I get Ferrari and then write a truthful and positive team bio.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Aqualung posted:

So Webber just pulled a Nelson Piquet Jr. in Brazil.

That's insulting to Lamp boy! Hes nowhere near as bad as Webber.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

NtotheTC posted:

Here's a thought. Don't let Mark Webber drive

Edited for accuracy

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
BBC are semi-confirming the rumours that VW are looking to come into F1, they are carrying out a feasbility study looking at how they could enter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30336569

One key point -

quote:

if it did enter F1 it would be with its own team based in Germany.

So that's them hosed then, if they do actually enter.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Jedit posted:

There aren't any steps forward from F1, though.

On a related note, Vergne has joined Andretti's Formula E team effective immediately and will be racing this weekend. I'm told that's now 14 ex-F1 drivers who have raced in the series.

And they are almost all having their arses kicked by a Brit who has never been in F1 as he has no financial backing. Really does show how hosed up F1 has become, its not about the talent at driving its who you know.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I'm interested in buying some network switches. Nevermind it's all Dell and whatever Mellanox is. If it was cisco stuff, I'd be interested.

The servers seem alright, kind of tempted to see if can snag one, as they will be cheap and ex.F1 gear.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

This, but actually what will actually happen in the real world as maclaren-honda rebrand themselves for Formula E after 15 consecutive DNFs

Good Reminder!

Next round of Formula E is tomorrow, and its not at a stupid time for the majority of us -

Its in Uruguay. Here is a link to the circuit guide,
http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/calendar/2014-punta-del-este/punta-del-este-circuit.aspx

Coverage start in the UK at 5pm tomorrow on ITV4

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

I'm Crap posted:

I thought they didn't put him in the chopper because he was so totally hosed up that the ride would have killed him. The doctors went in the chopper.

Yeah the chopper took off about the same time as he left the track, its just with that kind of head injury the patient could die due to the pressure changes caused by flying.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Next race in the greatest series ever btw is tomorrow -

Argentina, Circuit guide:

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/calendar/2015-buenos-aires/buenos-aires-circuit.aspx

Race is at 16:00 local time (19:00 in GMT)

Coverage starts on ITV4 at 6pm in the UK.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Formula E seems to have been created to gently caress with Quick Nick Hiedfeld

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Wirth1000 posted:

I am extremely excited to see what the new McLaren livery is going to look like now. It's probably just going to be red and white.

I would be surprised if it is, given a lot of people idiots would think they are copying Ferrari.

A light Orange / Orange Red would be a sensible choice.

Wait this is McLaren so they wont go for the sensible so gently caress knows what they will go with.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Bye Bye Nurburgring

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30826192

quote:

Hockenheim will host this year's German Grand Prix, according to Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone.

The track hosted the 2014 race but is supposed to alternate each year with the Nurburgring.

But Ecclestone, 84, told Reuters: "It's going to be at Hockenheim. We just have to amend the years of the contract. It was alternating with Nurburgring so we'll just take that out."

The official 2015 calendar does not yet specify a venue for the 19 July race.

The Nurburgring is under new ownership and Ecclestone added: "It can't be Nurburgring because there's nobody there."

Hockenheim staged its first Formula 1 grand prix in 1970.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Forgot the 'Renault team' was no longer using Renault engines now, it seems weird.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

keevo posted:

Ferrari's car was just unveiled. More sponsors than McLaren and Sauber. I can't tell if it's just the picture or not but it looks like it has a really short wheelbase.

Finally a car that doesn't look the same as the others. This season is shapping up to be poo poo.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Dumb Username posted:

Speaking of no sponsors:

Supposedly only a testing livery, but that is sexy as hell.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Falken posted:

It is called dazzle camo. Used by ships in WW1 For the past 100 years and car manufacturers today. It is to hide detail and lines.

Its still used on some ships today, and also been used in a way on tanks, hell think there have even been tests on using it on planes.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

That engines sounds FUBAR

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

enri posted:

The most important thing is that Alonso still has his beard. Ron's standards are slipping.

Finally.

Also the McLaren is doing better than expected, they have set lap times.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Dubs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ9AE5QRb_8

fuuuuucccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk yes.

Ok that sounds better than the previous vid, but it sounds so god drat alien compared to the other engines. Have Honda built an engine to the right specs as it sounds more 'rough' like the old V8's not like the other V6's at all.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Yeah but it's ugly wicka

Its not ugly, its not a great paint scheme though, all of them are meh except Redbulls test scheme which is good and Sauber's 'we are so broke we cant hire a designer' is arguably the worst livery to grace modern F1.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Sulman posted:

Rumour here that Force India are in the poo poo: https://translate.googleusercontent...8_bZyhiaB_6WfUg

Bye Bye Force India then if there is an ounce of truth in it. Has been murmurings before that there suppliers have had payment issues, but not paying your key suppliers is a sign that FI are needing rescuing.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
I see someone at the BBC is having difficulty with the changes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/31059101

quote:

Day one results
Posted at 16:05

1) Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) 1:22.620 60 laps
2) Marcus Ericsson (Sauber) 1:22.777 73 laps
3) Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) 1:23.106 157 laps
4) Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) 1:23.338 35 laps
5) Valtteri Bottas (Williams) 1:23.906 73 laps
6) Carlos Sainz Jr (Toro Rosso) 1:25.327 46 laps
7) Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) 1:40.738 6 laps

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

gret posted:

The Marlboro paint scheme is one of the most overrated paint schemes in history.

Agreed. Its the old nostalgia / 'the livery when I was a kid' that clouds peoples memories.

Orange and White is the way forward for McLaren.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Dudley posted:

Lotus.

Seriously.

Finishing the championship will be achievement for them, FI and Sauber.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Fumble posted:

I would like to see a 1000bhp ground effect f1 car hit a sausage kerb.

Just watch any of Mark Webbers various 'Bad luck' flying episodes.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

El Hefe posted:

What tough time is this again?

Don't tell me it's because his yearly contract with Nicole is over and they haven't signed a new one

More precisely its Hamiltons get out of Marriage yearly card being played. Its been ~4 years where she has been trying to get him to Marry her and every time he says no.

Really wish he would move on from his cougar, just to stop this yearly farce.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

RALF posted:

Churchill didn't lose though

Churchill won wars but was crap at being an MP, he probably lost more elections than any other Prime Minister, he was like a god drat yoyo, think he had something like 4 constituencies over his time as MP as he kept getting kicked out of them for one reason or another. Very unlike Ron Dennis in that regard, as Ron is a pure one place guy and a Winner.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

be nice wicka posted:

in joe's reddit thing he suggested that mclaren could be faster than mercedes by the end of the year so that's the end of my optimism for the season

Would be a shock if the engine wasn't eventually better than the Merc given Honda have had hands on with the Merc engine last year assuming they don't need to change to much; when it finally comes good it should be a good engine. Just depends how good the car is then and McLaren lately haven't been great at that side of things.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

simplefish posted:

MANOR
TEAM - Brainwrong
WILL STEVENS - willcrouch
???? - ukle

Given nobody has a loving clue who Manor are looking at signing this is going to be a quick one, dont be surprised if i take the 'Have I got news for you' route if they haven't announced anyone by Tuesday.

edit: Quick google search says it could be Fabio Leimer, hmm

ukle fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 8, 2015

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
If someone was going to read that and it be added over a Video, best sounding voice to use would be a little girls, make it sound like shes reading a fairy tail (i.e. remove the swear words) and it could be magical.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Fumble posted:

Notice Me
way to NOT NOTICE ME when I posted this last week, Sutil also paid in advance for a drive and is probably taking them to court too.

They used van Der garde's £10,000,000 to stay alive in 2014 then apparently sold his seat to Ericsson for £15,000,000 upfront which they have also spent.
Classy team.

Hasn't Sutil already started proceedings as well i.e. its not probably he is.

People really do seem to have short memories in this thread, it was brought up a few months ago the lunacy of how many drivers Sauber were signing - think they had about 6 they have signed for this year. Unsurprisingly its come back to bite them and hate to say it hopefully will kill them off, as a team that acts like the complete shits they are deserves to cease to exist.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Brainwrong posted:

Oh look, Manor have signed another driver that no one has ever heard of.

Yeah and its not like that you will see much of him this season anyway. At least now I know who I have to do a intro/bio on.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Fumble posted:

Has he gone to prison yet for running that boy down?

Hes rich and lives in America so the answer to that is of course not.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Aqualung posted:

So I'm going to make a bold prediction that only 17 cars start the race on Sunday.

17? Ok I demand working. 18 I could understand, unless you are meaning Manor only runs 1 car.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Brainwrong posted:

According to this linky here to the Twitters, Guido Van Der Fawkes is now threatening to seize Sauber's assets if they don't let him drive.

Good for him

Bye Bye Sauber then.

Who would have guessed that Bianchi being bad and effectively killing himself would also kill a team off.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
The list of drivers for the race has been published -

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_4tiDiVIAIdIpm.jpg:large

No Van Der Garde, so expect contempt of court proceedings first thing tomorrow with no doubt asset seizure soon after.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
So we could have a 16 car grid at the start of the season.

Wonder how exactly the 18 car rule is worded, i.e. when does the season start in terms of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Fumble posted:

How much is Sauber worth now? a 2013 article valued it at $155, It cant be worth that much now after last season. If Van Der Garde was awarded damages for the loss of 2 seasons of his professional carer, emotional damage, breach of contract, breaking a high court order + the £10m he is owed. Would it be too far fetched for his father in law to settle up and buy the team out?

There has been suggestion in a few places this is exactly what VDG's company (which is what is bringing the court case, and is probably owned in part by his Father in Law) is aiming to do. Would make a lot of sense as its about the only way of him getting a drive this year is if his backers own what is/was Sauber.

• Locked thread