Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

[Trailer]

Jurassic World is the upcoming fourth installment of the Jurassic Park film series. It stars Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Vincent D'Onofrio, and BD Wong as Dr. Henry Wu, the only actor reprising a role from an earlier Jurassic Park film.

Plot synopsis (from Wikipedia):

Twenty-two years after the events of Jurassic Park, Isla Nublar now features a fully functioning dinosaur theme park, Jurassic World, as originally envisioned by John Hammond. This new park is owned by the Masrani Corporation. Owen (Chris Pratt), a member of Jurassic World's on-site staff, conducts behavioral research on the Velociraptors. After many years, Jurassic World's attendance rates begin to decline and a new attraction, created to re-spark visitor interest, gravely backfires.

Jurassic World is directed by Colin Trevorrow (Safety Not Guaranteed) and written by Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (the recent Planet of the Apes films). Steven Spielberg is on board as an executive producer. Michael Giacchino will be composing the score with original themes by John Williams. The release date is June 12, 2015.

Personal note: I loving love Jurassic Park. It's pretty much my favorite film of all time and I've seen it more times than I dare to admit. After both The Lost World (which I have a soft spot for) and Jurassic Park III (for which I don't) I was a bit wary at the idea of a new JP movie, but with the recent information that's come out I'm tentatively excited for this. Trevorrow is an interesting choice for a director and the premise is at least a bit different from the ol' "whoops I guess we're on an island full of dinosaurs now, better leg it!" formula of the other films. Also velociraptors with guns is dumb and I'm glad they didn't go there. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Festivus
Feb 19, 2007
The 10-year old kid in me is really excited about this movie. I just hope its closer to JP 1 or 2 than the 3rd one.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Plot will be silly (who could ever get bored of seeing dinosaurs??), Raptor Posse will be awesome, I just want to see a fully functional park for more than 5 minutes. Operation Genesis was my favourite game ever.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

What's that aquatic guy supposed to be in the trailer? A Mosasaur that's like twice the size of a real one and has a double jaw for funsies?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I've seen Jurassic Park like a hundred times. I've been really hesitant to get excited about this movie, but I liked the trailer. It looks like a real theme park and I can't wait to see the other attractions they come up with and watch people get eaten.

I just want to see dinosaurs in a decent movie.

And I hope the T-Rex gets more than just a cameo.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

theironjef posted:

What's that aquatic guy supposed to be in the trailer? A Mosasaur that's like twice the size of a real one and has a double jaw for funsies?
The general rule of thumb with Jurassic Park tends to be to not expect hyper-accurate dinosaurs, but dinosaurs that look awesome and exciting. They're genetically engineered after all with maximum profit in mind.

Ehud posted:

And I hope the T-Rex gets more than just a cameo.
It really does look like Operation Genesis: The movie, which is what got me excited. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rex get some justice in this one, honestly. But I reckon the new whatever-o-saurus will be the main attraction.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Stare-Out posted:

The general rule of thumb with Jurassic Park tends to be to not expect hyper-accurate dinosaurs, but dinosaurs that look awesome and exciting. They're genetically engineered after all with maximum profit in mind.

Guess it can be chalked up to Velociraptors also being twice the size of real ones and Dilophosaurs having super spit, so why not. The double jaw is still a little off the wall though. Like the most we know about aquatic dinosaurs is from their jaws.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Stare-Out posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rex get some justice in this one, honestly. But I reckon the new whatever-o-saurus will be the main attraction.

I'll bet the new super dino will be the main threat/focus with the T-Rex saving the day at the end, Godzilla-style.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Chris Pratt as an accepted member of a pack of Raptors that he hunts with on a motorcycle?

I AM loving IN

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
No they will probably have a scene like JP3 where it will kill the T-Rex to show the audience its biggerer and badder than it.

This will happen because nobody remembers JP3.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I'll bet the new super dino will be the main threat/focus with the T-Rex saving the day at the end, Godzilla-style.
I am partly torn wanting to see the Rex vomit a laser beam into the other dino's mouth at the end. I hope Rex's glory is restored in some other way though, the saving everyone at the last moment thing happened in the first movie and all. Having it feast on the recently slain carcass of a Spinosaurus would do me.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

For some reason the Raptor Hounds are too much for me. Like it's so goddamn stupid. It makes me realize the whole thing is entirely loving retarded, and I'm terrible and can't have fun if Chris Pratt can ride motorcycles around these creatures that are super-intelligent mega killer villains in the other movies.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

I am partly torn wanting to see the Rex vomit a laser beam into the other dino's mouth at the end. I hope Rex's glory is restored in some other way though, the saving everyone at the last moment thing happened in the first movie and all. Having it feast on the recently slain carcass of a Spinosaurus would do me.

The Rex will be unseen until the climatic battle with the engineered dinosaur when all hope is lost. As Chris Pratt lies on the ground half-conscious he will notice the puddle of water next to him rippling. It's the original T-Rex from the first movie. Old, scarred, and missing an eye it bravely battles the abomination and gives it's life so our heroes can live.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

hemophilia posted:

if Chris Pratt can ride motorcycles around these creatures that are super-intelligent mega killer villains in the other movies.
Reading that made it even more insanely glorious for me. It's that whole sequel thing of the bad guys helping the good guys fight a new common enemy but since in this case the bad guys are goddamn velociraptors, I'm so into it.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

D-Pad posted:

The Rex will be unseen until the climatic battle with the engineered dinosaur when all hope is lost. As Chris Pratt lies on the ground half-conscious he will notice the puddle of water next to him rippling.

I will lose my mind right there in the theater if this happens.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
I'm pretty excited for this, definitely needs more T-Rex though.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
I'm super excited about this. I don't like the idea of a genetically modified dinosaur being the antagonist unless at the end the T-Rex/Raptors become the antiheroes and contribute some Darwinist smack down.

I don't even care that Rex isn't the biggest, meanest dinosaur anymore. It's a cultural icon now and deserves more than being quickly dispatched by a lovely Spinosaurus.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
Am I the only one that gets a Texas Chainsaw Massacre nod from the music in this trailer?

edit: Specifically at the 1 minute 30 second mark

Dr.Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 25, 2014

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
Oh, can I be the first to complain about something?!

Chris Pratt seems way too serious in the role. Not that I want a retread of Andy or Peter Quill, but still, he seems boringly serious.

I also have this feeling that he's going to end up being one of those shock deaths of a popular actor, like Bryan Cranston in Godzilla. That's completely unfounded, just a feeling I have, and I hope I'm wrong.

And I, too, hope the lack of t-rex in the trailer is because he/they are going to show up at the end and wreck the new monsters poo poo.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Looks great to me. A lot of hate on the internets for the trailer though.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I will watch and enjoy this movie, but I thought the trailer was pretty poor.

The lines were really bad. The problem isn't that they were corny and hammy - the original had plenty of that - but it's a combination of them being extra poo poo (often due to references, like I winced hard at the 'if something's chasing you, run away' or whatever line) and/or being delivered seemingly entirely straight-faced and seriously - which yeah, not every character saying stupid poo poo in JP were Malcolm or Nedry, characters whose actors and scripts completely embraced the goofiness, but why would you use Pratt's frankly quite poor delivery of cheesy or just outright bad lines in your trailer? Speaking of, not impressed by Pratt in that trailer, but I won't judge from a couple lines that were poor material to work with in the first place.

Also the CGI stood out (in a bad way that is) to me a lot of times during the trailer, which makes me apprehensive. The kid does not make me excited either.

On the other hand, super-dino and raptor-squad are terrible, but in a way I can go 'gently caress YEAH DINOS' about instead of giving a poo poo.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Is the hybrid dinosaur really named Diablosaurus Rex because that owns

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

oddium posted:

Is the hybrid dinosaur really named Diablosaurus Rex because that owns

It tested well with JW's key demographics.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Well I, for one am pretty excited.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

theironjef posted:

I think it's supposed to be a pliosaur (maybe a Liopleurodon or a Kronosaurus).

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
The trailer didn't get me as excited as I was hoping but god drat did I get shivers when I recognised the piano theme. I'm in.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I dont really like the idea of a new dinosaur so much as the idea of something subtly loving up in an unforseen way, like the gender switching in the original. But hey maybe that will happen too.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I'm excited for this, if for nothing else than to see the park actually functioning as intended for a short time.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

massive spider posted:

I dont really like the idea of a new dinosaur so much as the idea of something subtly loving up in an unforseen way, like the gender switching in the original. But hey maybe that will happen too.

I feel like there's going to be a lot more going wrong than the new dinosaur getting loose. That might just be the catalyst for poo poo going down.

Does anybody remember the script that was leaked years ago that was about the genetically modified dinosaurs and how they were able to control them and turn them into soldiers and poo poo like that? This movie seems like they took the idea, toned it way down, and now we have hybrid mutant dinosaurs and bloodhound raptors (if that really is the case).

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Claeaus posted:

The trailer didn't get me as excited as I was hoping but god drat did I get shivers when I recognised the piano theme. I'm in.

Me too. This is a cool version too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-f9bpMpddA

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I don't know what to think about this.It seems insanely stupid which can be a good thing if it's played correctly but if they go with the serious and somber tone if may end up really bad.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The sad piano is neat but imagine there's an Englishman whispering "Welcome... to Jurassic World..." at the end as well

Someone dropped the ball

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N
For those that are annoyed at the behavior of the raptors, remember that the raptors in the first film had zero exposure to anything. They sat in a cage from birth and ate things that were put in. They had no society and were hyper-aggressive and over-confident. In Lost World we saw them hunting, that's it. In JP3 we saw them protecting their eggs. By the looks of it, Pratt is their trainer and likely has raised these raptors since birth. He is the alpha male of the pack. There is actual logic behind them being "good guys" for this movie.

And if you want to say that it's dumb and unlikely, remember that there are zoos and parks around the world where trainers pal around with bears, tigers, lions, etc.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm excited. Looks like fun with big crowds on the island, like a blend of 1 and the encampment/San Fran parts of 2. Also opportunity for more setpieces since CG is so far along even compared to JP3 (2001).

Agree that Pratt is a big strange when somber ("Depends on what kind of dinosaur they made...") but I bet when he says evacuate the park I'll be grinning.

I just hope we get a cameo of Ian Malcolm on some talk show saying how dumb the idea is, then gloating at the end.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The fact that people are already moaning about the lack of realism in this movie 8 months before its release suggests that this thread is in for tough times.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I don't know why everyone is afraid that the new dinosaur is going to kill a T.Rex when of course what is really going to happen is the new dinosaur will kill a Spinosaurus, and then at the end the T.Rex will kill the new dinosaur.

This movie is going to be Rocky, just wait.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
gently caress the haters, Raptor Bros all the way.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Since John Hammond's ~vision~ is a pretty big part of this movie, it made me think of the "memoirs" voice overs in the otherwise shoddy Trespasser video game. They're genuinely cool, not least because they're voiced by the late man himself (Sir Richard Attenborough). I recommend giving them a listen if you're at all interested.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
Well, the human characters come across like stick-figures in a dino-diorama but I bet at least one of those raptors has a bitching 'tude and a mohawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

nurabsal posted:

Well, the human characters come across like stick-figures in a dino-diorama but I bet at least one of those raptors has a bitching 'tude and a mohawk.

Chris Pratt will play fetch with one of them. If he doesn't I will be mad.

• Locked thread