Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Spacebump posted:

After watching the trailer, I am really excited for this movie. Hopefully it can at least be the 2nd best Jurassic Park movie.

It's guaranteed to be THE best Jurassic World movie at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

Apparently the gate is an actual real physical object, yet it looks as otherworldy CG as the rest of the special effects?

Just because it's a physical object doesn't mean it isn't CG in that shot.

The worst CGI is the dead shark, because they could've easily used a model for that and it has no weight to it at all. Also the Mosasaur is way too big, it just looks dumb.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

A group of film-makers are sitting around a big table discussing the direction to take with the next Jurassic Park film.

"Hmmmm. I was thinking we should dial down the spectacle a few notches. You know, make things more about the day-to-day drama of gene scientists, and maybe scale the dinos down so they are more realistically proportioned. What do you think guys....guys?"

"You're fired."

It's more that I think the spectacle of Jurassic Park is seeing vaguely believable representations of dinosaurs. I've seen monsters the size of a submarine in countless movies, from Pirates of the Caribbean to Asylum films - I've not seen a really good depiction of a mososaur putting on a show for tourist, something that I think would be more amazing if it was presented with just a little more restraint. Bigger isn't always better.

I also know this is going to tie into the feather/no feather debate, but personally this bothers me, that doesn't. :iiam:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It's also really weird for having a single line plot point that goes loving nowhere but is the most interesting thing in the film.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It's when they first see the Spinosaurus and Alan Grant starts pondering it's existence, nothing that it wasn't created by inGen. This is never brought up again in the entire film despite being a big loving deal presumably.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

So, just a larger t-rex with longer arms and spiky bits on its back. Oh how exciting. Something something verisimilitude cgi etc.

Now where did I see that before? Oh yeah:

Be fair. Diablosaurus Rex is blue and white with glowing red eyes and also goes invisible.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mercury Hat posted:

It's got thumbs too.

You've gone too far, science!

How big of an attraction can thumbs be? Surely the danger outweighs the decision to include.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Invisible like a chameleon most likely, not invisible like the predator

This is an ability that makes no sense for a tourist attraction.

Also, it's bigger than a T-Rex, how can it possibly have decent camouflage?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

And that father and son are both cosplaying as Ray Arnold

This is beautiful. Bravo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Facepalm Ranger posted:

gently caress Hollywood and their remakes and the buzz word reboot, does anyone else has a non-movie savvy friend who gets confused like this?

I have friends who work in film and TV who get confused about this poo poo all the time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

She's not adopted.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's left unspoken, the same way Roland and Ayjay are "best friends". She could be adopted or like a stepdaughter, or whatever.

No it's not. She's his full biological daughter.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I don't see why she has to be adopted for that incredibly obvious reading to work? Unless you're just uncomfortable with her being black?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Just Offscreen posted:

I think he is referring to the fact that in one scene the Rex walks out of his paddock where the goat was- shortly after that same stretch of fence is a huge ravine where the car falls down into.

It's not the same area of fence though. The Rex comes out in front of the car Ian and Alan are in. The car that is pushed into the ravine is the kids. I always assumed the pen dropped off at both sides of the feeding area. Keep in mind the goat rises up out of the ground. I think that area is an artificial hill that leads the Rex up to feeding zone.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Shadoer posted:

Any idea why they didn't just use the raptors? It makes sense, it would have been cool, and really as the Raptors are effectively the "main villains" of Jurassic Park it's fitting for them to be there.

The Rex can more easily stomp around San Diego and look impressive whilst being a singular target for the characters to converge on.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 7, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

I just always assume it's meant to be the other side of the road. It makes absolutely no sense for there to be a pit in the t-rex enclosure where people are intended to watch the animal from cars on the road.

I always assumed the cars were just the tour and you could walk too. Who knows.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

If they go back to original island I hope they end up in the ruins of the visitor center, and someone finds the mummified remains of the raptor in the freezer.

It got out of the freezer didn't it?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

I always like the cgi vs practical argument especially when it comes up about Alien 3. People always say it looks like lovely cgi despite it being a practical effect.

It's a good practical effect ruined by lovely computer compositing, so, it kind of is lovely CGI.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I understand why The Lost World book had to be based on Site-B but I never understood why the film bothered with it, it's so superfluous to everything and just bogs down the meeting with Hammond and Malcolm with lovely exposition.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

At this point it's just a giant raptor without the killing ability raptors had.

Speaking of which has anyone else noticed that the new Raptors have been engineered without the slashing claw on their feet?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

I've also heard people bitching about the Mosasaur scene since it uses green screen and CGI because its totally to that scene feasibly by constructing a massive stadium on location and having a giant robotic mosasaur jump out and eat a fake shark. Comparing it with stuff from the Star Wars prequels

I mean, they could've used models.

Also, random side note, the Mosasaur on the website is the right size.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Deakul posted:

Am I the only one that had hoped that they'd go even more balls out with the new dino?

He can turn invisible and talk.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Deakul posted:

There's a line and you crossed it.

You loving crossed it.

Life will find a wa... :suicide:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

He has thumbs. At the end, when the Raptor pack turns in Pratt and Co he looks directly into the camera and gives them the thumbs up.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Timby posted:

That's going to be the big twist in the movie -- it's not that they cross-bred raptor and T-Rex, it's that they included human DNA in order to make it the ultimate predator.

Honestly this wouldn't surprise me.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Are you guys forgetting we already have goofy-rear end thumbs-up dinos like the Iguanodon?

Those are just conical spikes used for foraging, they weren't opposable like I-Rex.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

New topic: which dinosaur would you want to gently caress the most?

Oh, definitely Triceratops! It was always my favorite when I was a kid. And now whenever I see one, its the most beautiful thing I ever saw.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Nearly all the new dinosaurs that are up were drawn by an artist who was given free range on their design, so they won't be in the film. Only the CGI rendered ones will be.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

"She's killing for sport."

There's no way she doesn't have some human DNA mixed in.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This except it's the hot doctor lady's DNA. Long story short this movie is going to springboard 5 more films loosely following the plot of the Resident Evil movies. I-Rex is Alice and in the next one she'll be riding a giant rex-cycle.

Part of the rumoured plot leaks has the I-Rex and Howard's character sharing an inexplicable bond so it doesn't attack her.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pretty sure Howard is playing the park exec, not a doctor

She is, yeah, but the rumor above is still about Howard.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I think it was Life, the TV show with Damien Lewis that had some evidence hidden inside a Barbasol can.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

duz posted:

They're going to be rendering the dinos until the very last day they can.

Good, because they look like poo poo at the moment.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The way people are abused and treated as a commodity literally leads to the downfall of civilization because the technology is so destructive and the people willing to use it so morally corrupt.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Yeah, its because it can turn invisible.

Antti posted:

I like the way Chris Pratt immediately slides under the car to hide himself from the dinosaur. It's just the sort of :siren: tactical realism :siren: that appeals to me. It sells me that he knows what he's doing.

In the longer version of the clip he cuts the gas line under the car to hide his smell as well.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

mr.capps posted:

Everything they done with the website stuff gives me more hope than the trailers, because it feels like it really gets jurassic park.

Everything on the website is basically fan fiction though. In the film the Raptors are on public display and, in fact, the pit they are in can be accidentally fallen into.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

8 Ball posted:

I always wondered why they had all that foliage in the raptor cage, wouldn't you want to keep visuals on your supersmart predators who are constantly trying to escape?

There's a glass walled viewing area in the building that Grant etc are stood on. The area where they are standing during the feeding is where visitors would cue while waiting to go down and inside. It's just one tiny area of the bigger, inside pen.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Haha Wu is Jony Ive. Sounds about right.

Also, is that Hammond trailer official? It doesn't have any new scenes, could easily be fan made. Looks similar to a fan trailer that used the flea circus speech, which was much more effective with its ominous tone. Still, if so that's my favorite official trailer so far, but just because it's the one that reminds me most of the first film.

The shot of the girl being dropped into the aquatic tank and of the kids diving off the cliff are both new, aren't they?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

Yeah, the Dilophosaurus in the movie was basically the size Velociraptors were in real life. The size-changing of the Dilophosaurs and Velociraptors bothered me as a kid since I was a big dinosaur nerd and they were two of my favorite dinos before I had even heard of the movie. The original film is so goddamn good though that it really doesn't matter to me anymore.

The Dilophosaurus in the film is a young one, Nedry even reacts with relief that it isn't one of his 'bigger brothers.'

In Jurassic World, if the Lego toys are accurate, they have adult ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

redcheval posted:

I'm gonna spoiler this just because it's rampant speculation but I'll eat my hat if it doesn't turn out the I-Rex was made with a heavy dose of people DNA. The whole giving orders, 'HIGHLY INTELLIGENT ANIMAL' schtick seems to be telegraphing that pretty blatantly to me. The I-Rex being white and Bryce Dallas Howard's character being dressed in all white consistently also make me think there's something to it. Gonna be so wacky. Personally I think this is a dumb idea but I'm not 100% sure so whatever. This movie definitely strikes me as more 'movie monster' than 'ancient animals brought back to life' like the first film.

It even has opposable thumbs and one of the leaked plot descriptions describes the I-Rex and Bryce Dallas Howard's character as having an unlikely and mysterious bond. It's why it doesn't kill her outright several times.

• Locked thread