Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I have a pretty nice picture frame that I wanted to use, but the photos come in weird sizes. I can't seem to find any online photo printing service that offers all three sizes that I'm looking for. I'm looking for 4x4, 6x4 and 4x6. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Whats a good VR headset that's compatible with an iPhone? I would prefer it with a head strap of sorts.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What's a good bicycle / skateboarding helmet? I want it to look like a dome? Not like a regular bicycle helmet with all the air holes in it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I think I'm looking for boots.

I work in a warehouse, not really a warehouse but sometimes we have to move tons of heavy poo poo around; I'm expected to be in dress shoes, but they loving suck when moving fridges around. Any suggestions to some boots that do not look like "rear end kicker 3000s"?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What are some good websites I can look for wedding bands for men?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking for a smallish messenger bag, not a backpack but maybe something similar? I want something I can throw over my shoulder and carry it around as an EDC (everyday carry). I don't carry much and want to purchase one to stop annoying my girlfriend (I always ask her to carry my keys). I looked at Osprey, Timbuk2, Chrome and Hersechel and didn't find anything I liked. I saw some things that I liked, but some things just turned me off, like having a dedicated U-Lock compartment. Here are some things that I carry... Wallet, 24oz water bottle, keys, novel, pen, Moleskin notebook, phone, knife, a light jacket, beanie and other smallish things. Any suggestions as to brands I should look at?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I like Waterfield bags

Thanks, I'll check it out.

signalnoise posted:

What's your budget and aesthetic preference

$150 max, nothing too stylish or out there, functional, smallish to medium?

Eponine posted:

On the pricier side, but I like Duluth Pack.

Standard book bag looks good, a bit too big.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

signalnoise posted:

https://www.tombihn.com

Look at the Cafe bag. Also look at all their other bags.

Ayyy. These bags look great. Thanks.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just purchased some work gloves. here. Wondering if anyone had some alternatives. I don't do much heavy lifting or anything like that, but I do move around a bunch of crap. I really like these gloves, but I've purchased these for years at this point, so wondering if there was something new out there. These gloves are grippy, durable, breathable and light. Looking for something similar?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

signalnoise posted:

I think you're wrong

You think a lot of things.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looking for some good work boots. I don't work in a a warehouse where I need to walk around al day long. I also need them in all black to adhere to the company dress code, although a bit of gray would be alright.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

colas posted:

Anyone own a decent bluetooth shower speaker?

Logitech UE Boom

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Uh strange request...

Where can I buy a gold bar? I was watching Cody's Lab on YouTube and he was messing around with a gold bar and I figured that it would be pretty cool if I had a tiny one I could look at. Are there any sites I should be looking at to buy a small one?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Tunicate posted:

The one on cody's lab wasn't that big (30 grams / 1 ounce), but yeah, gold is pretty dang expensive atm.

If you just want a little gold to screw around with, I usually buy my gold wire from Rio Grande.

I guess.... I won't be... Getting... Gold...

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

.Z. posted:

For memory foam, I've liked this one a lot: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V909F1K/

Alternatively make or buy a buckwheat hull pillow, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F1FL9E and then adjust the amount of buckwheat hulls to whatever makes the pillow conform best to your head.

These don't look like they have a lot of support for the neck if I'm on one side. Have you used the first one for a bit?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I really like this bag here. I'm currently using a Timbuk2 messenger bag and it's a little to big for the stuff that I want to carry. Most of the small stuff get front / side loaded so the middle sort of collapses. Any suggestions before I pull the trigger on this one?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm in need of a leather wallet. I typically don't like thick wallets so I've been eying this one. http://dunwallets.com any other suggestions?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

drat those Belroys look nice as hell.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I recently purchased a Tuft and Needle bed and now I am in need of a mattress cover. Are they all the same or is there something a bit nicer out there? I'm willing to spend a bit more for something "quality" made.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

baquerd posted:

Why do you need a mattress cover? Just curious, only one I ever tried was like stain-proof and it just trapped heat and made things uncomfortable so I haven't used one since.

We wanted one during the summmer cause our room is so hot. Didn't really want to sweat on it. We just decided to get some cooler covers and blankets. It's worked pretty well so far.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm in need of a computer chair. I've been sitting on a crappy Ikea chair for the past 4 years and I'm sick of it. I'm basically looking for something that will last a long time and be super comfortable. I'm not looking for anything super pricey, but I don't know what is considered a good price for a chair. I sat on this for a while in the store, but I didn't know about the longevity of the chair, so I didn't pick it up. I think $200 is the maximum I'm willing to spend, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

JPrime posted:

how tall/heavy are you? at 6'4, 280 I think that chair lasted me a couple of years, maybe 3?

Oh that's not too bad. Three years is pretty good.

Thanks I'll check it out.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking to buy some "quality" beef sticks. Some artisan, hippy, delicious poo poo. Any suggestions I can buy online?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looking for some good containers to portion out food for lunch / dinner. I used to use plastic ones from Amazon, but man when they get greasy, the are really hard to wash. Are there other alternatives, or should I stick with the plastic and throw them away when it gets too hard to wash?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

lowcrabdiet posted:

Anyway, I switched to this 5 pack of Glass Meal Prep Containers. I don't really trust the lids to be microwave safe, but I use a damp paper towel on top to catch any splatter. The brand name ones (I think by Glasslock) have misleading titles like "6-piece set" for the same price, but they count the lids as separate pieces.

Thanks for the suggestion. I picked those up today. I'm weird that I don't like my food touching each other, but I'm sure I'll eventually get over it.

Also, this might not be the right place, but I'm wondering about power bricks. More specifically, the thingy that the wire goes into to charge phones and stuff like that. I have a few bricks laying around the house and I'm a bit confused as to which one charges my electronics "faster". For the brick I assume I should be looking at the total output, 2A, 1.67A and 1.25A; but I assume that this is also determined by my device's input.

So a 2A output from my brick wouldn't matter if my device can only accept 1.67A? Assuming that my brick can do 2A and my device can take 2A, then my unit would charge at 2A?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Baby Proof posted:

Somehow I don't own a cordless drill or screwdriver - I've gotten by with hand tools and a corded drill. What would be best in that category to cover a decent variety of projects? Maybe an impact driver with a good selection of bits?

I am also looking for a small multipurpose drill to do small things around the house. Nothing too cheap that will break in a year, but I’m not a carpenter either.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

I need new headphones. Would like over-the-ear style for my tiny ears (buds/pods don't work) with no real preference for wired vs wireless. Suggestions?

How much are you willing to spend? Bowers and Wilkins P5s are great. Don’t know if they still make P3s, those are good too. I own both.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I currently have a pair of Audio Technica MX50s and I need a microphone to go with it. I currently have this here which works, but it picks up literally everything, and there isn't a mute button. Any suggestions for something dirt cheap that will get the job done?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looking to buy a clothes steamer. I’m tired of ironing my clothes. Any suggestions as to a hand held one or one on a rack?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Argyle posted:

I need a garlic press. Anybody have one they're in love with?

Expensive as hell, but super nice. Easy to clean, easy to use and made of all steel, looks like it will last a life time. Here

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m looking for an electric water kettle for making coffee. The most I need at any time is 20 oz, probably less. I want something that I can buy once and never think about again. Help?

I've used this here for roughly 4 years so far and it's been great.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I just purchased a bunch of emergency food, but uh apparently I need boiling water for it.

Can someone suggest to me one of those survival emergency water boiling things? I would prefer to be able to purchase it from Amazon.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

Would it be mean to use this to start a gbs thread?

Hey man. I'm trying to survive out here. Come to think of it, I haven't visited GBS since they made it 2.0 a few years ago...

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Geoj posted:

You're probably going to want a camping stove. Depending on what kind of scenario you're planning on riding out will determine the type of fuel. Propane is the easiest to use but propane cylinders are bulky and don't last very long. White gas is slightly more difficult (you have to prime the burner - they vaporize the fuel by passing it through a metal tube that gets exposed to flame) but is more economical with fuel by volume. In this category there are also "universal" fuel stoves that will run on pretty much any flammable light petroleum distillate - gasoline, kerosene, jet fuel, etc - denatured alcohol or practically any flammable fluid light enough to flow through the stove's internals.

If you're looking for something to use in the event of a collapse of society scenario there are wood fired camping stoves, which are basically a charcoal chimney starter with some kind of platform on top to balance pots/pans/kettles on.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I do a bunch of backpacking, and honestly the easiest and probably most shelf stable fuel would be esbit tablets. They're little solid fuel tablets you can use with a small folding esbit stove, and they cost six bucks a dozen last time I bought them on Amazon. A small one liter pot to boil water with, like the olicamp pot with the heat exchanger would be twenty bucks, and serve you great if you ever wanted to take it camping or something. A regular kitchen pot would be super inefficient and may not balance very well on the tiny stove.

If this is for emergency preparation, the additional benefit is the small size of the whole setup.

The esbit tablets also make great fire starters, fyi.

E: In an emergency, food is the last thing you'll probably care about. Clean drinking water is far far far more important, fyi. A gallon per person, per day is the usual recommendation. Enough for a day or two should be sufficient time for emergency services to reach you. A filter, like the Sawyer squeeze or BeFree, would only work with bacteria, and doesn't help against viruses or chemical contaminants. Judging by the quality of water in say Houston during the recent flooding, you're pretty much hosed on treating that open sewer.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I'm looking to pretty much build some sort of bug out bag / emergency kit. There was an earthquake where I live and I decided that I need some sort of kit. I have roughly 6 gallons of water in individual jugs stored in a plastic bin, it isn't much but I live in the city and it's the best I can do so far.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Can someone suggest to me some sleeping headphones? My wife’s snoring is pretty intense and I’m apparently a very light sleeper. I’ve had those foam ear plugs in and I can still hear the snoring. A white noise machine wouldn’t work well as I’m fairly confident she’ll be able to drown it out. I want it to be wireless too. I’ve seen some on Amazon, but I was wondering if anyone had other suggestions before I blindly make a purchase.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

Hearo earplugs were my go-to when I slept next to an ex that had immense snoring issues. The purple ones are the ones I settled on, they worked great. Make sure you look up the right way to use them if you haven't been taught how to properly use earplugs, you don't just try to push them in

Picked some up! Thanks.

Geoj posted:

If you haven't tried it already get your wife a wedge pillow, it can help keep the airway open. My wife used to snore very heavily and getting her a wedge pillow made a world of difference - it didn't stop it completely, but reduced frequency and volume of her snoring to the point where I can manage it with just foam earplugs.

I've never looked at a wedge pillow. Does your wife complain about back pain from using it? My wife has to do yoga all the time to help her with it. We have a "soft" bed, and I don't know if using those together would contribute to her back pain.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I need a very good neck pillow. I'm going to be on a 18 hour flight and a very long train ride soon. Any suggestions for something on Amazon?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Sportman posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Cabeau-Evolu...rds=neck+pillow

This thing is awesome. It’s a huge step up from the cheap bean bag filled ones.

I was looking at this one too. Can you wear headphones while this is on? I have some big ones that I wanted to bring...

Lawen posted:

After spending 20+ hours on planes in the last week, I'm wary of big neck pillows now. I grabbed a standard foam pillow at an airport gift shop and never managed to get comfortable 'cause coach seats, even bulkhead or Economy+ seats, don't recline enough to fit a regular neck pillow between your neck and the seat without pushing your head forward. My wife travels a lot for work and had one of these and it was so much better than mine, both because of the chin support and the smaller thickness/circumference in the back. I'll definitely be buying one before my next long trip.

I do like that the one posted above squashes down into a little travel bag though. Having a big rear end neck pillow hanging off your bag/backpack the whole trip sucks.

Thanks I'll probably pick this one out for the wife, as I know she'll try to steal mine if she doesn't have her own.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone have suggestions for a cooling pillow? My pillow runs a bit hot and with summer coming I don't want to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for a good card mount that isn't magnetic (typically needs a plate and interferes with my wireless charging) or a suction cup? I drive a 08' GTI with an iPhone 10. I keep seeing the pro-mount being suggested, but that looks like a pain to install and it's expensive. I want something that isn't super bulky and the sheer amount of products available is overwhelming.