Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It was the same poo poo in EO:U's story mode and it's annoying how much worse it is here.

The in battle banter is really good tho'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

neongrey posted:

Even with the volume off you're still getting barraged with messages that I want to go away. The config menu just seems to have voice volume control, not 'shut up, I know you're short on SP, that's why you've got a sub with enough to cast all the spells you need'.

if you wanted to play a dungeon crawler without any predefined characters you probably shouldn't have bought this dungeon crawler with predefined characters. the messages aren't even that intrusive.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

looks like neongray-senpai is in trouble

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
leader, you've been probated! you might not be able to post for a while!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually like the in-battle banter a lot more than my team yelling at me that they're out of SP and poo poo. If I can turn the tips off that'd be fine, but give me more in battle dialogue, dammit.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Can you ditch the original characters for the entire game?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It was the same poo poo in EO:U's story mode and it's annoying how much worse it is here.

Yeah, at least in Millenium Girl they only did it once per shortcut AFAIR and it wasn't accompanied by giant pop-up text. Turn the sound off-- and I play at work a lot so I have it off most of the time-- and it goes away entirely.

Inflammatory posted:

if you wanted to play a dungeon crawler without any predefined characters you probably shouldn't have bought this dungeon crawler with predefined characters. the messages aren't even that intrusive.

It's incredibly intrusive. They're coming in after every single fight and every few steps in the dungeon. I was super excited for this game because, surprise surprise, I love every game in both series. But the predefined characters I liked in the original games have been reduced to one-note cariactures, which, you know, I can deal with for the sake of a gag game like this, but the game keeps throwing system messages at me constantly and it's making actually crawling the dungeon a really unpleasant experience.

Will turning up the difficulty ease off the hand-holding maybe? I want to like this game. I really do, but it's fighting me.

Beef Waifu posted:

I actually like the in-battle banter a lot more than my team yelling at me that they're out of SP and poo poo. If I can turn the tips off that'd be fine, but give me more in battle dialogue, dammit.

Yeah, the in-battle stuff is cute and fun! I like that! I'm just sick of Clippy the Party Members telling me that it looks like I'm crawling a dungeon, do I want to be told about the visual markers I can see right in front of me.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Yay, my copy finally arrived!

So now I have finally found out what they called the escape item.

Does this mean I have to change my Avatar?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

neongrey posted:

Will turning up the difficulty ease off the hand-holding maybe? I want to like this game. I really do, but it's fighting me.

No. Even on risky, everyone is a chatterbox.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

No. Even on risky, everyone is a chatterbox.

Sigh. Thanks. I'll live.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

neongrey posted:

It's incredibly intrusive. They're coming in after every single fight and every few steps in the dungeon

if you're getting low-on-hp/sp messages after every fight you might wanna turn the difficulty down, not up.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

If Naoto has to cast an insta more than twice in a fight, especially in the first labyrinth, she's coasting on sub-Persona reserves, which is plenty for her to keep casting, but leaves her low enough that she keeps going on about being out of SP.

Burning off your SP and working off reserve during exploration is literally what that part of the system is for.

Jesus, I didn't expect to get all this for asking if I could turn these navigation messages off.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

neongrey posted:

Burning off your SP and working off reserve during exploration is literally what that part of the system is for.

Err, no, actually that's a really bad idea and not at all what it's for.

The sub-Persona SP reserve is so that you can get a Boost chain started and never need to spend actual SP if you manage the fight properly, not so that you can burn all your actual SP at the start of the dungeon and leave yourself vulnerable to a tough fight where your reserve SP can't hold out.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

neongrey posted:

I've actually been playing it the other way around. Burning through my sub's SP frequently while saving the regular SP pool for emergencies.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh hey, this FOE is weak to Slash, how hard could it be to f-- oh, it has Mamudoon.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Yeah, I specifically pick personas/skills so that I can get into and out of every fight (except FOEs/bosses) without using any resources, just the sub-persona HP/SP.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i don't love the pop-ups either but i just don't think it's worth all the fuss people have been making over it. the game is not trying to patronize anyone.

also nth-ing the bit about sub-persona pools, getting through each battle while minimizing hp/sp loss is kind of a big part of these games.

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 29, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Strange Quark posted:

Oh hey, this FOE is weak to Slash, how hard could it be to f-- oh, it has Mamudoon.

I know exactly which FOE you're talking about. They're a total bitch and you have to kill one for a quest. Silence Circle is your friend.

They also know Diarahan.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Welp, looks like "can't escape if your back is against a wall" has carried over from EO. Don't know why I thought it wouldn't have carried over, but a powered up Orobas has now been lost in the pursuit of science.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

KingEffingFrost posted:

Welp, looks like "can't escape if your back is against a wall" has carried over from EO. Don't know why I thought it wouldn't have carried over, but a powered up Orobas has now been lost in the pursuit of science.

Because it hasn't been a thing since EO4 and U. I'm surprised to hear it's actually back.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Zurai posted:

Err, no, actually that's a really bad idea and not at all what it's for.

The sub-Persona SP reserve is so that you can get a Boost chain started and never need to spend actual SP if you manage the fight properly, not so that you can burn all your actual SP at the start of the dungeon and leave yourself vulnerable to a tough fight where your reserve SP can't hold out.

You can do that just fine with a well-chosen sub though? None of the encounters I've run into have been hard enough where I've had a real concern with that. Naoto just misses sometimes, especially when you're testing out weaknesses, and she's running on fumes a lot consequently.

Inflammatory posted:

i don't love the pop-ups either but i just don't think it's worth all the fuss people have been making over it. the game is not trying to patronize anyone.

I wasn't trying to make a fuss, I was just trying to ask if you could turn it off and it turned into a fuss. :/

neongrey fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 29, 2014

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Anyone who regrets picking risky mode just stick with it past the first boss and then it gets a lot more manageable as the game opens up a ton after that. The first boss is just such a bitch though because you're so limited combat wise at that point.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'm not sure about Risky, but at least on Hard Mode you can summon Kaguya (the FreeLC sub-persona) as soon as you get the Compendium. She gives +37 SP, which is three free insta-kills per fight.

Slap her on Naoto and spam Mudo/Hama everyday.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Vengarr posted:

I'm not sure about Risky, but at least on Hard Mode you can summon Kaguya (the FreeLC sub-persona) as soon as you get the Compendium. She gives +37 SP, which is three free insta-kills per fight.

Slap her on Naoto and spam Mudo/Hama everyday.

lunar blessing :love:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Out of curiosity, which story should I play through first? I've played the first few minutes of each, and while I'd prefer the cast of 3, the beginning of the 4 story mode makes it seems like that's the one that's intended to be played first.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
it doesn't really matter, you get everybody after the first dungeon and after that it just makes some of the scenes focus more on whichever group you picked. i'd say just pick whoever you think will give you an easier time through the first dungeon.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Because it hasn't been a thing since EO4 and U. I'm surprised to hear it's actually back.

Slight correction, it might not be back. It may have been the result of an unannounced mandatory fight after going through a door. It's hard to tell, as the enemy indicator was full red before stepping through the door, and there was no warning of a fight like there was in the previous labyrinth... I'm still not gonna chance it though.

Also, regarding the theme of the 2nd Labyrinth... Catherine-themed dungeon in a Persona game using Etrian Odyssey mechanics is a critical mass of Atlus

scarritt
Apr 19, 2010
P4 team's battle theme is the loving happiest battle theme I've ever heard. :dance:

Also, loving the character designs. Kanji's grimace is so adorable.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

scarritt posted:

Also, loving the character designs. Kanji's grimace is so adorable.

Persona Q is a very cute game

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

KingEffingFrost posted:

Also, regarding the theme of the 2nd Labyrinth... Catherine-themed dungeon in a Persona game using Etrian Odyssey mechanics is a critical mass of Atlus

I really enjoyed the cutscene where they shot all the Vincent/Sheep figures, nice little touch.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

lunar blessing :love:

Don't you have to put Kaguya on your navigator to get that?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lunar Blessing is a regular skill, so no.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

Don't you have to put Kaguya on your navigator to get that?

nope, it's not a nav skill.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm not sure what I was thinking of in that case.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Put Kanji on the front line a bit into the second Labyrinth, holy goddamn he hits like a truck.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I fell asleep in the opening sequence and pressed rush mode and got a game over on normal within like 10 minutes

I... I'm good at EO and Persona I swear...

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Inflammatory posted:

i'd recommend committing to a single team, most of your skills come from sub-personas and as long as you keep your party pretty balanced with physical and magic builds and don't take a bunch of characters who are weak to the same element, you should be fine.

Honestly even picking a team full of the same weakness isn't that bad: just find a sub-persona with the appropriate elemental Wall skill, give it to your fastest party member and use it in fights where you know you'll need it. I'm using P3MC, Yosuke and Aigis, who are all weak to electricity, but Yosuke's fast as hell and has a sub-persona with Elec Wall so it's no big deal. Ambushes by elec-using enemies can be bad, but I've got a sub-persona on my navigator with a skill that reduces the chance of them happening, and even if that fails I can usually still survive one round.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Because of the sub-Personas, I think any team is viable, really. You can always get whatever skills you need on someone. I'm running both Kanji and Chie right now which I'm sure is sub-optimal but I like their dialogue too much to not have them around. Although I'm not playing on Risky or anything crazy like that, maybe you have to be a little more discriminating at the high difficulties.

I've been playing on Risky and so far I'd say it's roughly comparable to P4G on Hard -- you still have plenty of freedom on party composition, you just have to be a little careful around unfamiliar enemies and not get in over your head.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
My copy came in the mail just yesterday (European release! My first preorder.)
Now, having read some Let's Plays and played the Demo of EOIV, I was wary of Persona Q - but so far I'm playing on normal and I got through okay. Like, yeah, I had one or two encounters with a Burning Beetle (:argh:) than ended with everyone but Yukiko dead and me mashing "ESCAPE" but otherwise pretty smooth sailing.

Do sub-persona HP and SP autorestore or did I get that wrong? So with a high enough sub-Persona SP I can spam even more Hama and Mudo? Naoto must be so smug; after being benched for my entire Persona 4 run I'm basically hinging half my success on her. Boost + Media is also darn sustainable. I'm not sure if the dungeons after the Tutorial will murderlize me, but Boost+Media has made me more or less immortal, with a Ray of Restoration from the Party Gauge if I REALLY get in a tight spot. The Heal Stone (Infinite reusable Medicine!) didn't hurt either.

I thought this'd feel really fanficcy (Persona 3 AND 4 in the same game!!), but so far I like the interaction between everyone. Elizabeth is loving this poo poo, Mitsuuru and Naoto are being Competent, Aigis is running Troll.exe beta version (shooting down the entire stand in the cutscene) and Junpei and Yosuke are both going :stonklol: at the Velvet Room people.
It does show both casts draw from the same archetypes but they still feel like (largely) natural people, the P4 cast a bit more so.

Also P3MC's bio. "His special trait is that he has no character". :downs:

e: Is it just me or are Theodore and Margaret acting like Elizabeth has a humanity fetish

e2: Everyone who hasn't had a fusion accident yet, please have one. Margaret's reaction is amazing. :allears:

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panzertape
Nov 5, 2014
A bit offtopic: wasnt there Persona V teasered a while ago? Is there already a release date?

• Locked thread